Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2016, 03:19:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
248211 Posts in 7439 Topics by 2388 Members
Latest Member: Odin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Serpent in the Staglands (pixel art RPG inspired by Baldur's Gate&Darklands)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Serpent in the Staglands (pixel art RPG inspired by Baldur's Gate&Darklands)  (Read 1108 times)
90sgamer

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2015, 11:49:26 AM »

I saw that there's no thread dedicated to this little gem and I'm on a mission to spread awareness, this game needs all the exposure and support it can get!
Serpent in the Staglands is a recently released pixel art old school indie RPG that's inspired by Baldur's Gate and Darklands. It was developed by the Chicago based Whalenought studios (a husband&wife team) and what they've accomplished with this game is truly amazing given their limited budget.
It's a party based and it has a real time with pause combat system (regrettably, turn based would've been better, but BG and DL were RTwP too). It's very open ended and nonlinear, and it does not hold your hand: there's no quest journal or minimap, you have write down your own journal entries. The setting is somewhat unique, it's a bronze age Transylvanian setting, more low key than most fantasy RPGs, but nothing close to the historic accuracy of Darklands.
The launch was quite buggy, but given that it's a 20-30+ hour long, open ended RPG that was developed by just two people, that's forgivable. And they've managed to put out 10 patches already and are constantly fixing and balancings things, which is something that many big developers dont do.

I made a review on youtube if you're interested (I've also got other old school RPG reviews on my channel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfnXhT5L0vs 
I'm not here to advertise my channel, but there's a fair bit of gameplay footage as well as criticism in it, so that should help you decide whether or not the game seems worth investing in. Though I've got to stress out that I wrote the review 4 days after the game had launched, many of the things I complain about have already been fixed or atleast balanced a bit.

It also has the best pixel art I've ever seen in an indie game

You can buy the game DRM free from GOG for 20 dollars: http://www.gog.com/game/serpent_in_the_staglands

PS: I'm not in any way affiliated with Whalenought Studios or being paid to advertise their game :P I just want to support good indie developers, since this is a game that's developed purely for us old school RPG fans and it's a damn good one at that. Developers like this need all the support they can get, as mainstream game sites aren't going to pay much (if any) attention to games like this.
While I'm at it, I also suggest checking out Knights of the Chalice if you already haven't. Some of the best turn based combat seen in a RPG during the last 10 years, the AI and depth put many big budget titles to shame.

Sorry about the advertising, but like I said, it's important to support developers like this. It's amazing that anyone would make a Darklands inspired game in 2015, even though it did inspire many RPG designers who worked on major games like the Elder Scrolls series and Fallout New Vegas.

90sgamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 04:58:15 AM »

Latest Matt Chat episode took an hour long look at Serpent (also interviewd Becky Burger of Dragon Wars/Bard's Tale 3 fame)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgGqfYybAWg

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: