Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 12:31:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338383 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Xbox one and ps4 rpg games...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Xbox one and ps4 rpg games...  (Read 430 times)
Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2014, 11:13:27 AM »

Hello

Was looking through all the new games for the new consoles and no rpg's except for eso online....whats up with that? I guess the mindless shooters are ruling more every day....

doh
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:16:48 AM »

The consoles just came out man, give it some time..
FF XIV, XV and KH 3 have already been announced for them. You also have The Witcher 3 coming.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 12:02:23 PM »

mindless shooters

1. I reject the premise that shooters are inherently mindless.

2. I don't necessarily reject the premise that modern FPS design that involves running from cutscene to cutscene via linear corridors isn't mindless, however I'm not convinced that these are actually all that prevalent -- a number of /prominent/ games do this for the single-player campaigns, but that doesn't necessarily means it's that common.

3. I reject the premise that RPGs are inherently more intelligent than other genres.

4. I don't believe that FPSes are more popular right now than usual -- the genre has had peaks in popularity, but I don't think this is one of them.

5. I do believe that open-world sandbox games are what's most popular right now -- either in terms of Minecraft, GTA, or TES clones -- however you don't see these come out as often by virtue of for taking forever to make.

6. A quick glance at the wikipedia article for XBox One games is showing about an even mix of FPSes, RPGs, and Open-world games planned, with sports and puzzle games making up a combined majority of upcoming games?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:11:56 PM »

mindless shooters

2. I don't necessarily reject the premise that modern FPS design that involves running from cutscene to cutscene via linear corridors isn't mindless, however I'm not convinced that these are actually all that prevalent -- a number of /prominent/ games do this for the single-player campaigns, but that doesn't necessarily means it's that common.

3. I reject the premise that RPGs are inherently more intelligent than other genres.

4. I don't believe that FPSes are more popular right now than usual -- the genre has had peaks in popularity, but I don't think this is one of them.

5. I do believe that open-world sandbox games are what's most popular right now -- either in terms of Minecraft, GTA, or TES clones -- however you don't see these come out as often by virtue of for taking forever to make.

6. A quick glance at the wikipedia article for XBox One games is showing about an even mix of FPSes, RPGs, and Open-world games planned, with sports and puzzle games making up a combined majority of upcoming games?

1. Me too (I accept more that I just suck at them)
2. RPGs are merely fighting slews of enemies, commonly with the best you got.  I find there's a level of repetition to any game, any genre.  Games that don't are like GTA 4/5, but with pointless (but fun) features like touching a stripper when the bouncer looks away....
3. I agree (I think some RPG plots have, in fact, made me dumber)
4. I think FPS's peaked about (+/-) 5 years ago.  I don't think any FPS's were on gaming website Top 10 let alone Top 5 this/last year (2013 GOTY).  2013, IMO, was all about adventure-type titles.  Last of Us and Zelda did super well, Fire Emblem was back in full-form, a new Pokemon title, GTA was a ton of fun and lived up to the hype, etc.
5. See 4.
6. Japan is allegedly announcing stuff when the PS4 is released.  Given how well they "fared" with the PS360 era though, I'm curious how well they'll adapt (and given their stronger presence on handhelds).  Or maybe the WiiU and Vita will get popular since it's good graphics, but not nearly the need to plunge to PS4One levels.

Be more optimistic Datastorm!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 12:44:31 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »

It's not the shooters that are mindless, it's the players -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HbCkU_-cM
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 01:46:47 PM »

It's not the shooters that are mindless, it's the players -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HbCkU_-cM

I blame hormones.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »

no rpg's except for eso online

I take it you mean already released?  Because there are RPGs announced for them...

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 02:39:25 PM »

4. I think FPS's peaked about (+/-) 5 years ago.  I don't think any FPS's were on gaming website Top 10 let alone Top 5 this/last year (2013 GOTY).  2013, IMO, was all about adventure-type titles.  Last of Us and Zelda did super well, Fire Emblem was back in full-form, a new Pokemon title, GTA was a ton of fun and lived up to the hype, etc.

Wait, when you talk about a genre being "popular" I think about sales, not critical reception.  And there most certainly are FPSs in the top 10 selling games for 2013.  More than any other genre, in fact (though GTAV still took the top spot).

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: