Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:25:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319717 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Demon Gaze
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Demon Gaze  (Read 990 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:16:18 AM »

So I got an email last night from NISA about Demon Gaze preorders opening. I took a quick look at it and I'm not sure what I think about it. Seems very fan servicy, but I can put up with that if the rest of the game is good. I just don't really have a good idea as to whether the rest of the game is good. So anyone who has played the Japanese version that has strong feeling about the game not with standing the fan service? Or is that all that the game really has to it?
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:19:44 PM »

I hear the game is really good but I don't know many details at all.  I preordered it already though.  
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:51:48 PM »

For a second I thought this topic was about Final Fantasy VI, but then I remembered it's Doom Gaze.  Or Deathgaze.  Whatever.  This game looks okay. 

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:56:56 PM »

Nothing I've seen of Demon Gaze looks particularly fanservicey to me, though I'll admit I haven't followed it that closely.  It does seem odd to me that was your first impression, though, because I have followed it somewhat and wasn't even aware that there was fanservice in it...

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 02:31:19 AM »

On the subject of fanservice, I hear there's panty-sniffing. Like, you have an option to do it or something, I'm not sure.  I heard this second-hand, I haven't played it myself.

I also hear the story is one of those that just abruptly ends, leaving a lot unfinished.

I pre-ordered it the minute it came up, despite that.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 03:01:19 AM »

From the impressions I've read:
- The game is not fanservicey at all
- The story is good
- It's a very good game and one of the best dungeon crawling games
- The last three bosses are very difficult and will require a lot of grinding (10 hours worth of grinding)
- 50 hours of gameplay
- Someone said he finds this game better or on par with Persona 4 Golden

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 07:15:18 AM »

Nothing I've seen of Demon Gaze looks particularly fanservicey to me, though I'll admit I haven't followed it that closely.  It does seem odd to me that was your first impression, though, because I have followed it somewhat and wasn't even aware that there was fanservice in it...
As I said it was a quick look, which included looking through the NISA store images which included stuff like this:

So images like this set off my fan service detector. *shrug*
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 07:57:41 PM »

Is anyone else planning to get this next week? I am looking forward to it. I do prefer the art style of The Stranger of the Village of the Sword but from what I have heard the gameplay is solid.

Belmondo of Blood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »

Count me in!

I've had this love of first person dungeon crawlers growing in my heart since I played some of Dark Spire (NDS).

Finally finished Etrian Odyssey 4 a couple of months ago; I'm ready for another Dungeon Crawler!
Tintaglia

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »

There's been a helluva lot of positive buzz about Demon Gaze from importers. I'm definitely going to buy it. Hopefully it'll sell enough copies to convince them to translate more Japanese gridders. The word is there's plenty more good stuff for the Vita.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 09:54:35 AM »

I'm not precisely the biggest fan of P4, but saying that is sort of implying that DG is a must-have for fans of the genre.
Tintaglia

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »

I'm not precisely the biggest fan of P4, but saying that is sort of implying that DG is a must-have for fans of the genre.

For gridder fans, it probably is.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 01:02:24 PM »

Reviews are making me want this, but I have the first three Etrian Odysseys and have never made it past the second level in any of them. I'm terrible at making good characters/parties in these types of games, and I doubt this would be any different. Still tempting, though.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »

Reviews are making me want this, but I have the first three Etrian Odysseys and have never made it past the second level in any of them. I'm terrible at making good characters/parties in these types of games, and I doubt this would be any different. Still tempting, though.

I've heard it isn't as hard as Etrian Odyssey and also has difficulty modes.

Edit: It is up on PSN if anyone is interested. You have to use search to find it though. Filesize is 463 MB.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:32:10 PM by Darilon » Logged

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »

The RPGfan review is up and I'm surprised the score is so low after all the positive things importers said (though I guess I shouldn't be).  I love the part complaining about the fan service and it says "None of this is relevant to real life..." What is that even supposed to mean?  Why should it be? 

Then it expresses concern that the game may make the player lose their ability to treat people as people rather than objects.  Normal people can keep fantasy and reality seperate.  Ridiculous comments.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: