Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 11:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Demon Gaze
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Demon Gaze  (Read 4463 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »

Blobber?  Gridder at least makes sense to me...what's 'blobber' even referencing?

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 08:33:07 PM »

Yeah, I've never heard the term 'blobber' in all my years of gaming.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 09:16:51 PM »

Kyle is not the right person to listen to if you're remotely interested in JRPGs.  His staff page shows some of his favorite RPGs being Planescape, Mass Effect, and Fallout, which is fine, but it's obvious he wasn't going to enjoy this (or Bravely Default for that matter).

I think that is a bit harsh man. Those are some of my favourite games and I also love JRPGs. People have different tastes and it is as important to hear those that dislike the game as it is those who like it. I was surprised Kyle reviewed this but more so because I had never seen him review a modern dungeon crawler before. Thought all the dungeon crawlers went to Ashton, Tooker or Hussey.

I mean no disrespect to Kyle or RPGFan.  My point is that the review would be beneficial to more people if a fan of Etrian Odyssey reviewed it to see how it compared.  People with similar tastes as Kyle probably already know that Demon Gaze isn't for them or don't even know it exists.  As it stands, Kyle's review is practically useless to me.

I love dungeon crawlers, but some of them are bad. As always, we welcome dissenting opinions-- I appreciate that the majority of you have been having a civilized discussion if you disagree. :)

That said, I disagree with whomever said we don't "get" dungeon crawlers. That's awfully subjective, and even I love the genre, and people still said I had no idea what I was talking about when I said Elminage Original was terrible. Suggesting that you have to "get" a genre as apologism for bad entries in that genre doesn't really fly with me. It is precisely because I love dungeon crawlers that I would pan a bad one, and then some people would say "Stephen doesn't get the genre."

And I think it's pretty general to say that people who like Planescape, Fallout, Mass Effect "know this game isn't for them." I love all three of those mentioned series and dungeon crawlers are absolutely "for me.". Kyle also loves a great number of JRPGs, but has different tastes than even I (I loved Bravely Default, whereas he didn't).

TL;DR remember that RPGFan is not a gelatinous mass. Lots of reviewers with different tastes up in here.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:21:31 PM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »

Blobber?  Gridder at least makes sense to me...what's 'blobber' even referencing?

Four silly adventurers huddled together. I've heard it mostly from gog.com. I think Dungeon Crawler fits best, but it can be attached to Rogue-likes or games that simply have dungeons instead of being centered around them. Semantics.
Tintaglia

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 02:50:00 AM »

I always thought "blobber" was a joke term for gridder.

That said, I disagree with whomever said we don't "get" dungeon crawlers. That's awfully subjective, and even I love the genre, and people still said I had no idea what I was talking about when I said Elminage Original was terrible. Suggesting that you have to "get" a genre as apologism for bad entries in that genre doesn't really fly with me. It is precisely because I love dungeon crawlers that I would pan a bad one, and then some people would say "Stephen doesn't get the genre."

I didn't mean it as an insult but rather as an observation. I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're being an apologist by calling people who like "bad" gridders apologists. It's like you're dismissing our enjoyment for these games as having ulterior motives, when we genuinely don't think of them as bad at all. I know these are subjective things, but the recent RPGFan reviews for both Demon Gaze and Might&Magic X have been so far from the general consensus. Reading up threads in different forums it seems to me like most fans of the genre really enjoy both of these games. I would even say MMX has been the best RPG I've played this year, and I know I'm not alone in this. There have also been very few negative opinions on Demon Gaze from players.

Now, I can accept the fact that Kyle likes Demon Gaze less than most other players and reviewers, that is all fair and good. I just think it's surprising how many reviews for gridders on RPGFan have been so much more negative than the general opinion.
Belmondo of Blood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »

So....Grimodar Castle...Anyone else get there yet?  That dungeon is ginormous!

And what parties are folks running so far?

Gazer (duh), Fighter, Samurai, Ranger, Healer w/ Mars, Neptune and Chronus.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 07:09:39 AM »

Not there yet. Lack of time to play means I have only beaten the first two dungeons.

I am running Gaze,r Paladin and Fighter in the front row while I have a Healer and Wizard in the back.

Paladin and Wizard seem to be my weakest members.

Belmondo of Blood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »

I tried a Wizard verrrry briefly.  I swapped him out for a Ranger.  I preferred having good damage with virtually no resource management.  Now I've beaten Venus and I'm finding my damage verily meh.  I could probably stand to farm for some equipment or at least a few more artifacts.

I had thought about building a Paladin just to see how much more useful he'd be compared to my Fighter, just haven't taken the leap yet.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »

I've only beaten Mars so far.  I have a paladin, healer, and just made samurai.  Not sure what to round the party out with yet but I need more money first anyway.
Belmondo of Blood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »

Finally finished the game!  May not going immediately into post game, want to take a break from it for a bit (plus other schtuff to play!)

Had a lot of fun with the game over all.  Last few bosses made me wake up to a few skills/demons I hadn't been taking advantage of up to that point. 

Any questions, let me know!
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2014, 01:31:30 PM »

Any questions, let me know!

did you lose your ability to view women as people and masturbate to the game?  :P
Belmondo of Blood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »

That question is entrapment!  I refuse to answer at all in a direct way!!

The game definitely has its share of sexual humor (humour if you're feeling fancy).  But at the core of the plot, they make a respectable attempt to play it cool.
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »

ok for a serious question, I finally hit a roadblock with the Ether Mage or whateaver it's called.  I went on gamefaqs and there were a couple topics about it.  Sounds like it is the boss right before the final boss.  They where saying the easiest way is with a ninja/assassin but I don't have one.  I saw ppl say to get the artifact for snipe ex and bane skills (i have the bane skills).  I  tried it a couple times and I ended up just giving up and hitting home button to get out (it's not actually that strong against me offensively)

My characters are level 32-33 with

gazer, paladin, samurai, wizard, healer

playing on default difficulty (cool).  any tips?  what artifacts should I try to get so that I can do this with my current characters?  what's the healing pattern?  every 4th turn?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:31:56 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Belmondo of Blood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »

Ugh, Stupid Phantom.

Yea, the last few bosses auto heal every few turns (either 4 or 5 depending on the boss and it's always a few grand of HP).

What demons are you using?

Level doesn't seem *as* important as gear and skills.  There is a skill called Shadow Assault....I'm pretty sure that's what it's called.  I found it and put that on my samurai.  This gives that character a chance to auto hide at the start of battle, then you can use hide during battle (it's like Concentration).  Each turn the character is hidden, their damage goes up 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5 times the base damage.  It maxes at 5 and ignores enemy defense (cited from the google doc).  That skills is super useful for damage, and could do 4 thousand to even the last boss.

I had only found Mars Bane and gave that to my Samurai (before I had found Shadow Assault).  I used Cyclone on my Fighter (you may be able to atleast find Rising Hit (another Fighter skill) which hits several times).  True Snipe is probably the skill you're thinking of, that drops an enemy's evasion and always triggers Pierce.  But it's only usable with bows maybe?  Couldn't say for sure.

Also, Berserking Mars helps a ton if you aren't using Chronus for defense.  The Bosses that heal you just need to be able to store up several of these larger attacks, so make sure your hit is buffed up so you don't wiff.  To help with fast buffing, I found Fast Cast and gave that to my Healer.

All this aside, having some skills for hitting multiple times, like Shadow Assault, will help a ton, and having Mars Berserked will also help as she does great damage when she finally decides to hit.

And I played the game through on Hot.

Oh, final note, Whistle can be used preemptively.  Had no idea for nearly the entire game.  If you cast it, it throws it up on the screen, top right, like the Force buffs.  It, like Force Guard (prevents the enemy from wiping your buffs), functions as a single prevention of those enemies who change your line order or remove your buffs.  Once Force Guard or Whistle is "consumed" you can cast it again next turn and you'll be ready the next time the enemy tries it again.

Hope this helps and wasn't jibberish!
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »

Shadow assault is actually the first artifact I ever got.  I didn't know the damage went up the linger they stay hidden.  I even stopped using it cause it would mess up my attack memory(for pressing triangle) lol.

For demons I usually try to rage Mars and use Chronos and neptune for the passive buffs.  Someone in gamefaqs was saying Jupiter is good so maybe the strongest offensive combination for me would be Mars, Jupiter, Pluto.  I'd have to grind jupiter and pluto up a bit though.

I did know about pre-emptive whistle but it is still annoying spending a turn on it.  Should I just cast buffs until the first heal happens then just unload on it?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:19:34 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: