Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334652 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What would your ultimate RPG be
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What would your ultimate RPG be  (Read 2336 times)
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 01:58:48 AM »

An ideal RPG for me has:

+ A rich storyline with solid character development, with lots of cutscenes with cliffhanger to make me want to play non-stop during an entire week-end. Nowadays cut-scenes in RPGs contain flat dialogues such "We're arrived to our destination, let's retrieve this stuff, okay, let's go to our next destination". Shadow Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XIII, etc, were boring like this. Deep storylines like Xenogears, Final Fantasy 7, Shadow Hearts 1 & 2, etc, have vanished.

+ A memorable soundtrack is always something important for me, but in general I'm always satisfied with RPG music scores.

+ No random encounters, Fast-paced battles with addictive elements. I think FF12 and FF13 both had an ingenious battle system, and if they had an intense storyline on top of that they would have been perfect games for me.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 03:47:54 AM »

Addendum to my previous post: Time skips, and generational eugenics (see: the Fire Emblem 3DS thread).

Additional: Clothing damage. :v

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 06:54:27 AM »

In terms of RPG mechanics, I always like a complex character growth system that has opportunity cost. I don't want it to be possible to max everything on people but I do like to grow characters in the direction I like (this also eliminate the problem if you have a choice of characters to use and the ones you happen to like don't synergize well with each other). However, I also like it when each character has a unique gimmick, so give each character a set of unique skills only they will have.

Story and setting-wise I'm pretty much open to anything, but I do have a like for more fantasy-ish settings with some amount of politics involved (EX Suikoden). I don't like it as much when the characters are just going on an adventure in their own little bubble (unless it's done in a very "fun" way like Grandia or Lunar) or you're trying to stop an obscure threat while everyone else is just living their lives like normal. Somewhat of an extension, let the player have decisions that will affect things greatly (for example, your choice to save a certain town may change a war's outcome or how certain battles go). As a convenience thing it'd be nice if games like that had a chapter select and cutscene viewer options in place so I can see results of certain choices without needing to play through the whole game again- make this available after the first clear, naturally.

Also I'm a bit tired of fighting deities, doomsday machines and world-destroying monsters as final bosses. A lot of times those things feel like they're shoved in at the last moment or they had very little to do with the story before the end. I get that's just an easy way to make the ending seem "epic" though- I'm sure people would find it anticlimatic to just fight a plain ol' bastard of a human being as a last boss. It usually feels a lot more natural to have that be the last fight, though.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 08:03:36 AM »

I was originally going to say Ar Tonelico with some tweaks, but then I saw Aeolus's post and was reminded that I love generational systems. So now I am changing my answer to an unholy hybrid of Ar Tonelico and Record of Agarest War 2 with the following tweaks (off the top of my head):
-You can pair up all characters for the next generation and not just the main character for each generation
-All characters can partake in dive style explorations of their psyches and not just main heroines, with melee characters learning new skills from the process
-Ecchi turned down to 5 or below from the 13 it is in Record of Agarest War 2
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 01:29:48 PM »

A big, open-world action RPG that only takes 10-15 hours for a playthrough.

Some intersection of ALBW, Amalur, and Dawn of Ys.

And a general aesthetic reminiscent of  SaGa Frontier.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »

This took awhile to think about which is why I didn't respond as soon as this thread showed up, but I think I've got a good image in my head. So without further ado:

- Single player character, with plenty of character creation customization. However, preferably with a more Eastern/JRPG visual style. (anime or otherwise, as long as the visuals are clean and colorful)
- Action/Turn-based hybrid battle system without a separate "battle screen," similar to the Pause & Play system of FFXII or Xenoblade.
- Multiple classes to level up separately with more advanced classes unlocking depending on levels of other classes (FF Tactics job system, basically)
- Lots of different pieces of equipment and weapons to find, all of which will change your characters appearance a la MMO's etc.
- Robust material gathering and crafting system, albeit a little more lenient and "faster paced" than your typical MMO crafting system.
- Giant world with lots of hidden nooks and crannies and secrets and whatnot.
- Instead of a big "save the world" plot, a bunch of smaller storylines that you can follow in any order you want that compose a bigger picture of the world your character lives in and the life your character experiences (Imagine how a prequel to Lost Odyssey would be)
siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 05:44:51 AM »

That's a bit difficult to answer. Mostly because I love both Action/Real-time RPG's as much as I love the Turn-based/Strategy kind.

Though I guess it would be something like this: (Wall Incoming)

Steampunk or Victorian-era setting. I was gonna say Western but Wild Arms pretty much cornered the market on that. Well, at least on Western JRPG's (I just noticed how odd that sounds). The gameplay would be a nice mix of Valkyria Chronicles and Final Fantasy Tactics. A very intricate battle system, that takes into account the area around them as well as the enemies, allies and their preceding jobs. I would pick the Valkyria Chronicles view-point with a map option, since I love the flair of it. Instead of moving from place to place on a map however, you would be moving on the land with some kind of caravan (or Airship, Steamship whatever) for all your heroes to reside in and you to plot out it's course. Instead of the whole "create-a-hero" thing, I would prefer Heroes with their own abilities that will be introduced throughout the story or through optional side-missions. The heroes will be able level, and choose between certain Jobs that can be gained from certain prerequisites- learning it in battle, conversation or through some quest. Some characters will have abilities that can affect the environment around them, such as a hunter who could catch and sell game or a explosives expert who can clear the entrance in an abandoned mine shaft. The way you use your heroes and other decisions that you may make would effect the story/ending of the game, without any "best" ending (like Ogre Battle), just a bunch of good or bad endings. The kind of heroes you can get is limited by these same decisions, so you can play through the entire game with two completely different parties with their own strategies. I would also love to have to converse your resources. It would be like Fire Emblem and Oregon Trail. You would have to keep your heroes alive in battle and outside of battle. Keeping weapons in stock, armor in check, enough food for the group, making sure those that are going to battle isn't seriously wounded etc. If they die, well it's that's it for them - and their part in the story.

The storyline would be more about accomplishing a simple task than some grandiose end-of-the-world thing. Something a lot more personal, but could blow out of proportion at times, especially with corrupt government officials or outlaws. The way one would accomplish this task would be the fun part. The story should also involve every character you recruit, so they aren't just back-drops. Your actions should also either alienate or elevate your standings with the group, while also developing your Main Character. Kind of like a Bioware game, except when you start being Paragon you can't just switch to Renegade. How he/she develops would be decided through a few selected traits, class and gender and the actions you make in-game. I would also take the Way of the Samurai route on conversation. Being able to be silent should be an option in certain cases, and in others if you don't respond in time (by talking to say, an impatient person) different things can happen. Situations where you are timed should also have an option to say something like "I'm thinking" if you're talking to someone casually but they are expecting a quick answer.

Stupidly complicated? Yes. My Ultimate Game? Yup. Will it ever get made? Not even in my dreams. This kind of thinking is Peter Molyneux level. I would just settle for just an open-world Valkyria Chronicles clone.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »

I don't have an ultimate RPG, but I do have an idea of something I would like:

-An action based battle system or a fast and simple TBS. Preferably it should be akin to Star Ocean 3 or 4.

-I'm thinking it should have a job system, but this would probably conflict on what I have in mind for the story aesthetics. Then again, it could be a job system limited to each character, like in Atelier Iris 3 or maybe a class system where you can branch out like in Seiken Densetsu 3. Yeah, it could work like this.

-No story or minimal storyline. Ideally something like Atelier, but I could do with a more adventorous Dragon Quest one too. I do want lots of character interactions however, but not anything pretending to be deep and mature.

-Lead character should likely be female. I do actually prefer male leads, but for the type of story I'm thinking of, it is hard for me to imagine the male lead wouldn't have the personality of a shoe. A few instances of alternate views would be nice too. I mean, it kind of pisses me off if I feel like everyones personality is defined by their relation to the lead character. Please have some good chemistry going on with the rest too and give them a purpose as well.

-I think I would like to have a decent amount of exploration, but I don't want the game to be much longer than 40-50 hours. Open world? Eh, maybe kind of like Dragon Quest VIII, but it's not absolutely necessary.

-Setting should be historical, fantasy or perhaps even scifi. No wars or anything and it should have a good vision on the architecture, culture and even climate and the environment. Huge cities are not needed, but I should be able to interact with them more than just visit a few shops.

Okay, so it's still in the working stage and wouldn't likely apply to a WRPG. I could probably think up a few more things, but that'll have to do for now.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 01:47:45 PM »

1) Suikoden-style collect-a-thon for characters, with best/true ending requiring you nab 'em all.
2) super-insane HD 2D art, cel-shaded is an option if you wanna do 2D in a 3D environment.
3) soundtrack done in a "too many cooks spoil the broth" style, but without the spoiling ... just make it awesome and involve everyone awesome.
4) traditional combat system, anywhere from 4 to 6 people in a battle, balanced so that there are good, active roles for both physical and magical damage dealers.
5) decentralized but ultimately linear storyline, a la Romancing SaGa.
6) mini-games that don't suck (simple, but well-built ... slide puzzles, space invaders clones, tower defense, heck even snowboarding if you do it right!).
7) each character has one skill unique to them, otherwise characters fall into an array of job types (10-15) that unlock different skills/spells/etc as they level up.
8) save anywhere, AND inform players of where major points in the game are to suggest "hey save now" OR "make a separate save now" -- alternately, frequent auto-saves with a huge save history (a la Skyrim)
9) setting doesn't necessarily matter. Just make it good.
10) story ought to be compelling. Make me cry. Make me want the best possible outcome.
11) redeemable villain isn't a must, but it's nice (I love Suikoden II, but crazy unredeemables such as Luca Blight make me nauseous ... gimme Kuja over Sephiroth!)

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 04:01:13 PM »

This thread has proven very informative to me about myself. Yes, you read that correctly... no typo.

Thinking about the question this thread presents and reading everything you guys have posted has really helped me zero in and define what I truly love and value in an RPG.

My Game

Graphics, Style, Aesthetic: Lush, progressive, bright, beautiful and happy without ever becoming over the top or "slick and sleek".  Best reference I could come up with would be Ni No Kuni  with a bit more maturity to the visuals and designs. Ni No was gorgeous to me in most every respect aside from the fact that it felt like an animated childs fantasy. I'm thinking more along the lines of what would happen if Breath of Fire 3 and FF6 had a baby that was Ni No Kuni quality with some Saga first cousins.... Makes sense right? LoL

Setting: Japanese-European fantasy setting with typical fantasy races and elements. Elves and Dwarves and the like must be present!!! So must fairies and mythical beasts. So limited tech is acceptable but I want it tied to use/explanation of magic and more industrial age.

Characters: Main party selection ala Seiken Densetsu 3 with a good handful of optional recruitable characters throughout the game.

Classes, Tiers: Branched progression for characters evolution that affect both gameplay and character aesthetic. Think SD3 once again.

Customization: Outfits and attachments to further amend/ customize characters. Pretty much how Tales of Xillia did it. I DO NOT want outfits or attachments to impact gameplay. I want weapons to alter appearance as well, but not armor.

Story: Epic and grand "save the world"-type with a major shift from human mortal foes to esoteric and demonic enemies. Think Berserk.

Travel: Classic World map. However I want more then one map. Maybe even more then 2...

Plot Progression: Linear although I want it heavily influenced by the characters. In other words, some plot events will unfold differently depending on the central party selection and which optional characters you have recruited.

Writing and Dialogue: Mature but not overtly-wordy. A little humor but not as much as say a Tales or Nippon Ichi title.

Soundtrack: Just nothing lyrical please...

Battle System Gameplay: I'm torn and cannot be too concise here but I know it would feel something along the lines of Tales meets KH crossed with Dynasty Warriors.

Actually I think I just described my vision for a true Secret of Mana 4.....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »

Oh, and Cyberpunk. My ideal game would have to have some kind of cyberpunk element to the setting.
anonypc

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 01:33:29 AM »

For me it's mainly the use of the characters, a mature/sensible/compelling/intriguing plot or story, and replayability via various SENSIBLE endings (not like where flans ruling the entire world..)

Characters: I wish RPGs implemented the fact ALL characters needed to be taken care of (equipped properly, leveled up properly).  My favorite parts of FF 6, were the times where you had to split up the party and use ALL your characters (the mog intro, the time where everyone re-unites to protect narshe, and that cave in the 2nd half of the game where you can't use smoke bombs and you have to split up your parties).

The Suikoden series kinda did that a littttle bit, but not nearly to the level I would have liked.

Battles: A mix of Chrono Trigger's use of combining skills (It actually makes you think who you put in the party, instead of just over leveling your favorite characters) w/ the Saga game's learning abilities/leveling up system.  These two series have the best battle systems, IMO.  Further more both of these games usually have multiple endings, although I wouldn't call all of them sensible & intriguing, which I wish I could.
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 03:11:12 AM »

Ys meets Elder Scrolls.
I would love a  big open world to explore, with class customization, tons of sidequests, rich lore and world history, guilds you can advance in rank, but good ole Oath in Felghana fast-paced Adoly action and a diverse array of awesome bosses.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 10:00:21 AM »

One thing I had a thought on while reading through an LP of Der Langrisser was the implementation of mini side stages in SRPGs. Rather than basically extra stages for players to run through for extra loot and experience for fulfilling certain conditions from the previous stage, I was thinking of something closer to short gauntlets for a character or two who manage to stumble onto them. And depending on how they're handled, you could have certain special events occur depending on who gets sent there (i.e. character A gets an item exclusive to her while characters B and C get to make comments about their situation and observations about how the other deals with said situation). And to balance this, whomever is used to reach this side stage, should naturally, be taken out of the remainder of the original fight.

Basically, side stages as they exist now, tend to wreck havoc on game balance and flow, and this can be at least one way to address the issue.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »

Traditional JRPG but everything is a spider, even the text.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: