Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:13:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318868 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Soulblazer.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Soulblazer.  (Read 2250 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2006, 11:08:15 AM »

Soulblazer for the SNES is oneof my favorite games ever. In my opinion, only Zelda: A Link To The Past is greater. Ah, the good ole days of action/adventure RPG's, eh? I loved Soulblazers epic atmosphere. I actually felt like I was creating a real world. And how closing up monster lairs in the dungeon would release spirits/people/plants/animals, etc. to open up new tons and areas to explore was phenomenal. Dark Cloud tried to recreate the same gameplay, but failed in my opinion. Anyway, what I was wondering is if anyone knows where any of the developers of Soulblazer went on to? Or at least recommend some similar games to Soulblazer. I know of Actraiser and Illusion Of Gaia that were a bit similar, but I own those as well. And found them to not be nearly as good to boot. Are there any current gen games with similar gameplay?
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 12:59:57 PM »

Terranigma! Not currentgen but also for the SNES. Well maybe it's not the same as Soulblazer, because i didn't like Soulblazer at all but loved terranigma. But if i remember correctly they are both created by the same developer.

I don't think there is any currentgen game in the same style. Developers have kind of dropped the top down perspective now when they can have all fancy 3D :/. Although maybe some games feature the same kind of gameplay, i dunno.
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 07:09:55 PM »

Soulblazer was cool, but Illusion of Gaia was far better I thought. The Dark, mature storyline of the game made it something unique back then for me.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 05:30:52 PM »

Of the SoulBlazer trilogy from Quintet, I vote Terranigma as THE best.

SO good.

Ramza

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 06:59:48 AM »

It's kinda hard to figure out were Quintet went to after Terranigma, but it's a fact it went downhill from there. They made two Saturn games and a arcade driving game for the PSone. I sometimes see the company pop up in the credits of random RPGs. Appearantly developers hire them to do the uninteresting work.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 12:46:58 PM »

Yeah, Quintet was a part of Granstream Saga, a crappy PS1 RPG.

And Quintet did the artwork for the over-400 items in Atelier Iris ~Eternal Mana~. They still exist, but perhaps in name only.

I'd like to see them make a return with a fourth game in the Soul Blazer series, with that sort of similar gameplay. Perhaps a DS title?

Ramza

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 03:55:53 PM »

The one thing I remember vividly from Illusion of Gaia is Hamlet's noble sacrifice!

I still have not played fully through Terrinigma, and I heard that game is supposed to be awesome. I remember adoring Soulblazer though, especially when you go through Dr. Leo's lab. It's so, so creepy.

B'Jyna

saybapon
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 10:56:51 AM »

We need a Square-Enix Anthology!

PS2
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3
Bahamut Lagoon
Soulblazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
BONUS AND UNLOCKABLES
Art Gallery
Sound Test
Stuffed Moogle or Turbo Dog beanie

"some girls are bigger than others, and some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers"
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 01:58:03 PM »

Quote from: "B'Jyna"
We need a Square-Enix Anthology!

PS2
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3
Bahamut Lagoon
Soulblazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
BONUS AND UNLOCKABLES
Art Gallery
Sound Test
Stuffed Moogle or Turbo Dog beanie

If they did this and kept the original graphics, storylines, music, etc., I'd easily pay 100 bucks or more for such an anthology. Especially if Brain Lord was thrown in.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 03:54:08 PM »

Aww, Bahamut Lagoon. That was one of the only games I ever completed on an emulator. Solid strategy RPG there.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 04:33:34 PM »

While I really don't see an anthology as something that would be coming, I do think it's possible we'll see translated NES/SNES era games on the Virtual Console for a slightly higher price than the standard games.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 05:01:52 PM »

It'd be ridiculous to do that for Terranigma, as it's already completely in english.

... I'd buy it anyway though.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 07:51:12 PM »

Terranigma was cool and warped. So was Gaia. I never could actually figured out WHY they both seemed so warped. That's why they're cool.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: