Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon  (Read 1908 times)

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
Darkest Dungeon
« on: February 10, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »
Rob and I ran an interview with these guys a few months ago. They were super nice, and their game is a cool concept.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios

They just launched their Kickstarter, over halfway to the goal in one day. Absolutely adore that art style and the whole breakdown of the game. Hoping it turns out well!
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Ivalice Alliance

• Valendia Knights of the Peace
  • Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Darkest Dungeon
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »
It's insane how close they are, already. I think I pledged within the first few minutes that it went LIVE.
[Gamer, Collector] 🎮

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XV, The Last Guardian, Resident Evil

Waiting On: Shenmue III, Resident Evil 7: Biohazard, Persona 5, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Nioh, NieR: Automata

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:20:02 AM »
Gonna resurrect this dinosaur since it's been out for a while. That and it got mentioned on Random Encounter.

Just finally beat it via my Houndmaster boss challenge. I think I felt some of my sanity slip away. So, anyone else been working on this lately? Got any questions/struggles? I've picked this thing apart pretty thoroughly so...I'm probably one of the more proficient Cthulhu pokers out there. XD

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 06:59:08 PM »
I remember there being some news about this coming to Vita.

It is still coming to Vita, is it not?

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
They confirmed it will indeed make it to the PS4 and Vita at some point this year. 

Drakkano

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 10:36:18 AM »
Man I'm lovin' this one. Best turn-based combat I've experienced in a long time, maybe ever...
Formaly known as "Rockko", yes I made a new account.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
I sorta liked it the first 5 hours when they started selling it. Then got annoyed by some balance issues and repetitiveness. Started playing it again when it was officially out. Loved some of the new classes. First ten hours were great, because everything is till new and you can mess around with different teams without worrying too much. First boss battles were great, too. Even the once I had already seen were suddenly fun, probably because that fuckin' pot stopped dodging! But once your past that point, the game is through most of its actual content. Sure, there are harder versions of previous bosses and your can level your characters and such, but aside from a mini-boss or two, there won't be any actual surprises again until you enter the actual Darkest Dungeon, at the end of the game. Everything between the introduction and that is basically preparation, and most of it is the game repeating itself over and over again. Its once strong atmosphere wears thin as you replay the same types of missions to get the gold you need, while fighting the same enemies and hearing the same narration over and over and over...

These nightmarish creatures can be felled, they can be beaten!

Screw that.

Now that my job it done, I have no desire to play it ever again.

Edit: BTW this game has an awful fanbase. Mostly just people who scream 'git gud' while masturbating.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »

Normally I'd be on board with you here as a point of valid criticism. To be fair, there's no arguing that if you hate repetition then this game isn't going to be fun; full stop.

However; Darkest Dungeon's repetition is one of the few games with legitimate reasoning for it. You can't remove it without ruining the game's lore, themes, and plot as a whole.

Also, stop attacking the pot. XD Unless you have someone who can one-hit burst it; it's almost never worth the time. Hag's design is that of a pure DPS-race.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 04:23:53 PM »

Normally I'd be on board with you here as a point of valid criticism. To be fair, there's no arguing that if you hate repetition then this game isn't going to be fun; full stop.

However; Darkest Dungeon's repetition is one of the few games with legitimate reasoning for it. You can't remove it without ruining the game's lore, themes, and plot as a whole.

While I agree some repetition is needed, having to find the same bosses over and over again is a pretty cheap way to fill your game. Especially since the bosses are the best part of the whole thing. That sense of dread when you encounter an unknown fiend, not knowing if you stand a chance or an unfortunate soul will meat its end while you try to escape.

They could have handled the bosses differently. Told the stories through different means.

(Fortunately, I played Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold soon after this, and it gave me exactly what I couldn't find in the (long, long) middle part Darkest Dungeon. It's amazing when you walk into a room, a new FOE appears, and you have no idea how it's going to act and if, if you are attacked, you stand a chance. Etrian Odyssey doesn't even need Eldritch abominations to scare the player - a glimpse of deer is enough. So good.)

Also, stop attacking the pot. XD Unless you have someone who can one-hit burst it; it's almost never worth the time. Hag's design is that of a pure DPS-race.

That's why it's nice if I can get one of my two DPSers (Arbalest/Bountyhunter) out of there if she grabs one. I'd gather have her boil the Occultist for a bit, as his part is mostly done once the Hag is marked. Okay, technically, it might be better if she took the Houndmaster, but I like him and his doggy! I don't want traumatic things to happen to them :(

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 07:13:26 PM »
I'm totally with Tomara on my feelings with Darkest Dungeon.

Eventually there just wasn't enough to mess around with and it was just becoming boring.