Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 06, 2016, 01:56:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
376890 Posts in 15087 Topics by 2330 Members
Latest Member: Sorrowmoon
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth  (Read 257 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2016, 07:59:02 PM »

anyone interested in this. it only caught my eye because the turn based combat and i feel like when it comes to that beggars ant be choosers at this point. it is made by media vision though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5IxsFduRnU

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 08:18:32 PM »

I'm interested because I actually kinda like the Digimon World RPGs, which had been slowly but steadily getting better with each installment (barring the occasional hiccup, like Data Squad...actually, that sentence applies to my feelings on the Digimon Anime as well. Third is still my personal favorite for both, too, though nostalgia may be playing a big role in the game's case), and this seems to continue the trend.

It comes out in February, right? I might pick it up...it's not like I have four other PS4 RPGs to play first- oh wait. Yes I do...um, this might actually require some more thought. =S

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 08:21:52 PM »

I adored Digimon World 1 & 2. For some reason 3 and beyond just never clicked with me. I didn't like a single game in the series after until that fan translation of the PSP title came out last year. This one I wasn't really paying attention to other that side awareness. I just looked up a Digivolution chart and I admit...it is slightly tempting...I'm not sure it'll wriggle it's way into the anime budget and justify a purchase...but I am quite curious now.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:32:51 PM »

I'm interested because: Media.Vision and awesome soundtrack. 

"Me Grimlock not nice dino!  Me Jecht!"
Ragnarok1051

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:28:46 AM »

I've never watched an episode or played one of the games. I've heard positive things about this one so maybe this is my jump in point.
divingfalcons
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 04:16:33 AM »

Definitely interested. Digimon was my favourite cartoon, and I played the Digimon World games as a kid. I've got this preordered, it comes out Friday here.

Taelus
Some music guy
Administrator

You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 07:30:34 AM »

I've played most of the Japanese version. It's a very fun, polished game. The combat can sometimes be a bit wooden, but overall it's a very solid, fun game-- particularly if you dig Digimon.

Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

Towns Car Marty
RPGFan Editor

Frog Enthusiast, Ridiculous

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 09:14:43 AM »

Looks like Namco Bandai sent this one out to die; game's been out for 36 hours and not a single critic review?

It looks really interesting though, and Media.Vision have a great track record. I don't know much about Digimon but I'm definitely considering picking it up.

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 09:22:02 AM »

They must be too busy fixing Tales of Symphonia PC.
/s
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 03:08:24 PM »

The general consensus I seem to be finding from random Youtube videos is that although the characters are super cliche it's refreshing to have a Digimon story with older characters, darker themes, and a world where the Digimon aren't the main focus so they integrate into the setting more organically. Also that the battle system seem to be a love letter to Final Fantasy X and the only downside of the Digimon themselves is that you have to play "Who's that Pokemon!?" which picking your digivolutions.

I may have to figure out how to sneak this into the purchase backlog soon. @_@
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 03:19:45 PM »

Looks like Namco Bandai sent this one out to die; game's been out for 36 hours and not a single critic review?

It looks really interesting though, and Media.Vision have a great track record. I don't know much about Digimon but I'm definitely considering picking it up.

given that classic turn based battles is a selling point on the box, giving the game out for critical review might do more harm than good. i dont trust any review outlets anymore to do actual reviews in the reviewers opinion as opposed to what they think the target casual audience would like. except rpgfan of course.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 05:31:27 PM »

My soundtrack review is up.   http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2016/4385.html

EDIT: As for reviewing, it's a balancing act even here since we RPG fans are an eclectic lot.  For example, the kinds of RPGs that PaleRobbie finds most enjoyable (e.g. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls) are the kinds of games that hold zero appeal for me.  And by contrast, the love-adventures I enjoy playing are games he would avoid like the plague.  

Of course, even then there are surprises.  A game that was totally my type on paper (Bravely Default: Flying Fairy) just didn't do "it" for me and I didn't like playing it.  On the other hand, Lightning Returns is not my type of game, but I found myself really enjoying it.  It's my "dating type and chemistry" analogy again.  

I look at my recent review of Summon Night 5.  SRPG fans looking for an FFT or Disgaea type SRPG experience won't get it here, but that's exactly what I loved about it and found it really fun.  That's also why I was appalled at all the other critic reviews of Wild Arms XF.  They all complained that the game sucked because it wasn't like FFT.  No shit Sherlock, it's Wild fuckin' Arms for goodness' sake, and viva la difference.  

And as for turn-based RPGs, I think they are making a renaissance of sorts, especially in the indie scene.  A good majority of up-and-coming developers are people our age who grew up with golden era RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star 4 and want to recreate that magical experience from their childhoods.  Celestian Tales: Old North, The Meridian Shard, Indivisible, Cosmic Star Heroine, Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge, and tons more that are way under the radar.  And from the bigger developers in Japan, we have Dragon Quest XI coming up, Exist Archive, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth we're talking about, obviously the Compile Heart/Idea Factory stuff (which suits rather particular tastes), Atelier Escha & Logy Plus for Vita, any new mainline Pokemon game, and isn't that 7th Dragon III game turn based?... In other words, I think it's a great time to be a turn-based RPGer since we're seeing a resurgence in their popularity.    
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:49:38 PM by Dincrest » Logged

"Me Grimlock not nice dino!  Me Jecht!"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: