Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2016, 01:51:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
246809 Posts in 7388 Topics by 2383 Members
Latest Member: xxkinsmanxx
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Is your favorite RPG in one of the first five you tried?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Is your favorite RPG in one of the first five you tried?  (Read 1139 times)
Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 06:22:46 AM »

At a guess, my first five were...

Phantasy Star
Ancient Ys Vanished Omen
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Shining in the Darkness

What can I say, us Sega trashbois didn't have many options. Not many of these games make my top 5, but I do still have affection for them. The first two Phantasy Star games were very influential and captured my imagination, but they're pretty clunky today. Shining in the Darkness had great art direction but it's a real slogfest.

Ys, on the other hand...Ys is a very special game. Although its Master System port was pretty lousy, it's been brought up to speed by the excellent Eternal version available on PSP or Steam. There are better Ys games out there for sure, but I think Vanished Omen is probably in my top ten.

If you asked me to name my top five favorite RPGs, that'd be a difficult task as there's so many that my proclivities tend to shift. Let's just say Earthbound and Persona 2 have permanent spots, while the remaining three are variable.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:25:38 AM by Towns Car Marty » Logged

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 06:54:36 AM »

No. My favorite RPG is Ar Tonelico, which I 'm pretty sure was somewhere in the 40s or later in terms of play order.

At this point I really don't remember my first 5 RPGs. My first was Breath of Fire, which was probably followed by Breath of Fire 2. Not sure where I went from there.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 07:16:11 AM »

I can't remember the first 5 I tried... sorry >.<

But, there is a point to this post I definitely got this sense thinking back I seem to have stronger better memories of generally earlier RPGs I played. Honestly though I think that's primarily due to a lot of really good RPGs simply haivng come out earlier rather than later..

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:02:18 AM by Artimicia » Logged
Electricb7

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 02:21:16 PM »

Well at the time I was a kid (I'm 25) JRPG's were first becoming somewhat mainstream on consoles in the US, and most of them were pretty high in quality.
Square had things on lock and so did many other developers.

I'm guessing this is when most gamer's were introduced to JRPG's in the 90's. If you knew about them before then then you were in a very small community of people who knew about them and what they were.
My favorite is FF7 because it just blew me away at the time even though FF9 is the best.
TurnerBasedXP

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 03:30:09 AM »

Yes, my top 3 RPGs are the first three I played. When I was younger I didn't understand what an RPG was exactly. My first experience was Super Mario RPG. I absolutely love that game. However, I didn't pick up another RPG until Final Fantasy VII, and next came Ocarina of Time which is still my all time favorite. So I was very lucky with my first RPG experiences. I have been hooked ever since. Over since gone back and played some of the classics I missed the first time around.

First Five:
1. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
2. Final Fantasy 7
3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Legend of Legaia
5. Wild ARMs

Top 5:
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Mario RPG
3. Final Fantasy 7
4. Paper Mario and the 1000 Year Door
5. Pokemon Red/Blue
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 04:53:15 AM »

Well at the time I was a kid (I'm 25) JRPG's were first becoming somewhat mainstream on consoles in the US, and most of them were pretty high in quality.
Square had things on lock and so did many other developers.

I'm guessing this is when most gamer's were introduced to JRPG's in the 90's. If you knew about them before then then you were in a very small community of people who knew about them and what they were.
My favorite is FF7 because it just blew me away at the time even though FF9 is the best.

Nah. People knew about RPGs during the 90s and 80s and these games were the option for those who weren't as big on Action games as your typical Arcade goer were.

The issue was that many companies/localizers at the time thought that the market was predominately oriented towards Action and Sports games over talky RPGs and figured that numbers were way too hard for kids to understand (because only kids played video games, hence why they were called 'games').

Though admittedly, a lot of JRPGs back then were low effort pieces of crap since they just took a Dragon Quest game, redo the sprites to resemble whatever popular Anime/inspiration you took from the Anime of the time and made a game around that (or better yet a first person dungeon crawler, much along the lines of the very first computer Role Playing Games).

Back then, the Big 3 (in reference to console JRPGs) were Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy from Enix, Sega and Square respectfully, with Falcom's stuff on PCs and while developers like Atlus, Camelot, Quintet, Capcom and Nintendo (plus subsidiaries) among many many others, were largely the outliers that put out RPGs of lesser quality or treated them as secondary at best (such as in the cases of Capcom and Nintendo).

To make matters even more confusing, some of what the West considers popular or classics like Terranigma or Lunar: The Silver Star were merely blips on the radar in Japan while classics in Japan like Seiken Densetsu 3 and Romancing SaGa 2 are stranded in Japan with emulation (and the rare importer) being the only exposure of these games in the West.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 06:04:07 AM »

Not in the first 5 I tried, but in the first 5 JRPGs I tried - Suikoden 2.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
EmeraldSword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »

The first five that I remember, might be out of order in release dates but... they are:

01. Final Fantasy I (1987 nes)
02. Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior 1989 nes US)
03. FFIV (FFII 1991 snes US)
04. Secret of Mana (1993 snes)
05. Chrono Trigger (1995 snes)

Of the list, I would say that Chrono Trigger stayed my favorite. Amazing soundtrack, story telling, gameplay, etc. I beat that one several times and revisited the game many times over the years. I also loved the game art at the time. I can remember drawing and coloring the characters with my best artistic copying ability in the 90s and showing them off to school mates.

Formerly OG, OrsonFury. Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright. Looking forward to Grand Kingdom and Star Ocean 5.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »

The first five that I remember, might be out of order in release dates but... they are:

01. Final Fantasy I (1987 nes)
02. Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior 1989 nes US)
03. FFIV (FFII 1991 snes US)
04. Secret of Mana (1993 snes)
05. Chrono Trigger (1995 snes)

Of the list, I would say that Chrono Trigger stayed my favorite. Amazing soundtrack, story telling, gameplay, etc. I beat that one several times and revisited the game many times over the years. I also loved the game art at the time. I can remember drawing and coloring the characters with my best artistic copying ability in the 90s and showing them off to school mates.

Do you still have them or did they burn up in an orphanage fire?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
EmeraldSword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 03:40:26 PM »

Do you still have them or did they burn up in an orphanage fire?

Heh... you know I can't remember what happened to them. They're most likely probably in a box in my parents storage with old comics, baseball cards, legos and such. I do also recall drawing purple and white ghost character from Persona 1 (name escapes me) and the characters from ps1 Beyond the Beyond https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/61/BTB_front.jpg

Formerly OG, OrsonFury. Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright. Looking forward to Grand Kingdom and Star Ocean 5.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: