Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:12:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335235 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc  (Read 3083 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2014, 08:09:04 PM »

So, for those that know nothing about this, it's a visual novel, which has already been adapter to an anime show and now we get a game for the PS Vita.
I'm not even sure if this Vita version is the same as the PSP version that was released in Japan.

Regardless, this game seems to be getting great reviews all across the board, even here on RPGFan.

So, is anyone interested in it ?
I know I am, after playing 999, Zero Escape, Corpse Party and Song of Saya I've been much more receptive to Visual Novels. Not that I ever had anything against them I just think playing them with a portable device to be way more comfortable.

So, anyone have any impressions on it?
I'm personally planning to get it as soon as I clear a few games on my backlog.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:13:01 PM by Farron » Logged

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »

This game is great on a lot of levels. Comedy/Mystery/Drama. It has it all.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »

I have it on preorder, will likely play after Bravely Default is done.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 12:02:50 AM »

Mine'll be arriving tomorrow, but with BD and LR I don't know how I'll make time for it.

Hell, this entire month in games, really.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 01:53:06 AM »

Hopefully my copy will be waiting for me when I get back from Japan...

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 02:45:45 AM »

Honestly I thought Danganronpa was great enough for a go but be warned the game/writing has some very serious flaws.

-First and foremost, without spoiling anything, it has one of 'those' endings all too commonly seen in modern anime these days. The ones where the writer waves their wank in front of you and laughs because you expected explanations. Nope, gotta buy the sequel for that. It's not nearly as bad as the 'no ending' violators out there but there's a big enough chunk of the end game missing that if this is a pet peeve, do not play Danganronpa if you don't plan on spending a few days reading screen shots of D-2's English translation. (Or can wait a year+ for the sequel to be localized.)

-The Director for the game took the piss out on everyone and decided that somehow making everyone bleed cupcake icing would make everything scary. No, really, he's gone on record being quoted as that's why everyone bleeds pink. It really destroys what little horror atmosphere the game has because the set up, explanation, and cut scenes already (much more successfully) dive into the realm of visual absurd-ism. This choice might normally not be a problem, only here it proves to be a camel spine snapper on top of everything else. There are a few other smaller things similar to this but it's been too long to remember what they are specifically. I'm sure I'll figure it out when I play it through again.

-You must hold out for the Courtroom section in Chapter 2 for the game's cast to become likable. Unfortunately the writer forgot you need to have something to give you connection with characters rather than just writing a bunch a stock cliches; several of which are designed specifically to piss the player off simply because of how bad they are at surface value. Throw in motivations that are mind-numbingly stupid (without spoilers; the domino-tipping antagonist in the first chapter has a motivation so ill-conceived that I'm convinced they're actually suffering from some mental handicap in order to have sincerely acted upon it) and a very mixed message you get from the tale's theme-ing (The game tries to build horror; it really can't. The game tries to build 'realism'; but then chucks it in the bin 5 minutes later.) and you might be ready to throw in the towel before Chapter 1 ends, if the overall mystery isn't enough of a hook.

However late Chapter 2 enough cats come running out of the bag to fix most of those perceptions, flip things around and turn Danganronpa into a spectacular story with charming characters. It just has soooo much trouble getting that first foot through the door gracefully (humorously making it a bit like its central protagonist).

If you can get past those flaws though Danganronpa has one of the better main antagonists in a VN I've come across. Monokuma's not quite Beatrice levels of good but on par with Zero the III (and doesn't share his problem of vanishing after the first arc and never appearing again). The story might not have much of any horror to it but it more than makes up for that with entertainment value.

That, and one of the funniest still shot images I've ever been ambushed with to date.

Again, without spoilers, all I can say is "Shogyoken!"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:04:19 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »

I got to Deadly Life on the second chapter, and I freaking love this game. I don't agree with you on the blood thing though Zeron. The game isn't scary no, but the blood never made it less scary, because I never found the game scary at all. For me the blood color seemed to fit the overall sort of Popart style the game had going on.

And while this game may have been trying to be scary, it wasn't, but it hasn't affected my gameplay. I still do get a large sense of dread whenever that music starts playing, and you realize someone is probably going to end up dead soon.

Also Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair announced. YAY! I wish they kept super in the title though.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »

It's definitely not as good as 999 or VLR, but it's definitely worth it. The trial sections are really fun and dynamic, and the cast is.. alright, i suppose. The characters are more quirky than interesting or well deleloped, but they still deliver.

Still, the story is solid and the gameplay is fun. And there is Kirigiri, which is one hell of a great character. I think it goes without saying, but i recommend playing the game with japanese voices.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 12:45:01 PM »

So I beat the story. Now I can run through school mode like fifty times and get the platinum. Overall I enjoyed it, probably about as much as I did VLR. Except I liked the ending of this one much more. While it kind of left you hanging, it still fit as a conclusion, with the themes of hope and whatnot. Can't wait till Fall.

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 01:44:17 PM »

One of the major twists of the story was spoiled for me, but is it still worth getting?
Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 05:39:24 PM »

If you haven't been spoiled as to who is the culprit in each of the trials, i think you'll still have fun.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 07:55:07 PM »

That, and do people really go to Titanic not know what'll happen to the ship?

Stories can still retain enjoyability even with 100% plot transparency. I agree you'll enjoy it regardless.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 10:33:41 AM »

I learned who the mastermind three hours before the game happened to tell me. I still quite enjoyed those three hours.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »

I've been reading about this game and it sounds like the Deadly Premonition of visual novels. Part scary and part ridiculous. Is that an accurate statement?

This flew under my radar initially, but now I'm really interested in picking it up.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 09:49:11 PM »

I never found any of it scary.

More dramatic mixed with dark humor.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »