Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 07:22:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327766 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc  (Read 2179 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2014, 02:08:56 PM »

The brutality of the first execution was what really cemented my opinion of the game.  Though I did think the first one was probably the worst, given it probably took a lot longer to die than the others. Well, except the last one, obviously.

I felt the same.  The other deaths were way quicker and cleaner.  They at least have that artistic 'flair' going no matter what, but in terms of shock value I think the first one takes the cake (getting smooshed sucks too...especially when it's built up the way it is).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 02:09:34 PM »

The brutality of the first execution was what really cemented my opinion of the game.  Though I did think the first one was probably the worst, given it probably took a lot longer to die than the others. Well, except the last one, obviously.

Anyway, it's a great game.  You have to purposely overlook a few things that cause plot holes, but most are minor enough that it doesn't matter.  It would have been better if the original plan for multiple routes was implemented, but hey, that's what DR3 and on is for.

What holes?
There were things left unexplained but I don't remember any holes.

I don't know about Cyril but the two big ones for me were

Code:
they made such a big deal about the number of lights at the morgue which makes sense... until you realise that Mondo was now an empty tub of butter and would not need to be in the morgue. The bodies were left there to be preserved and plastic doesn't degrade that quickly.

I can overlook the Deus Ex Machina of Naegi being saved from the execution at the last second but how the hell did both Kirigiri and Naegi survive that fall? No way a pile of trash would cushion a fall of that height, especially in Kirigiri's case.

Code:
The 1st point is easy. We already know how crazy Monokuma is in following the rules, he did it for the sake of consistency and that's part of Junko Enoshima's personality, she wants to create despair under fair circumstances for the participants.
The 2nd point is a little harder, I do admit that you probably need to just accept it as part of the cartoony nature of the game but at the same time there have been RL cases where babies fell off really high apartments(just google baby survives after falling off the apartment or something and many articles should pop up, doesnt need to be babies, it also happened to people) but survived relatively unscathed by falling into something relatively soft. Not to mention that they necessarily didn't have to make the height so big, they could have easlily made the trash thing much closer to the upper floor and call it a day, don't know why they didnt do that.. I did think about that when it happened but I decided to not dwell on it becase it was not a big deal
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:12:18 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 04:45:08 PM »

I cannot fathom why you'd try to defend a few of the holes in this story. It's one of those games you just need to take in stride and for fun and not overthink, because that's when it starts falling apart. It's not meant to be realistic.

Another silly, minor example would be:
Code:
Why Junko threatens them with the air purifier turning off when there's a large, healthy garden.

Edit:

Also, since that one particular scene was mentioned, and this isn't really a plothole, just something that bugged me. . .
Code:
Remember how, after he gets out, Makoto was told he smells horrible?  The next case started up before he
could take a shower, so there was no real time for him to even if you consider the type of storytelling where a game
may omit certain mundane events, like going to the restroom. 

That entire time he was running around dirty and smelly and I couldn't take anything he said seriously.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:51:10 PM by Cyril » Logged
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »

I cannot fathom why you'd try to defend a few of the holes in this story. It's one of those games you just need to take in stride and for fun and not overthink, because that's when it starts falling apart. It's not meant to be realistic.

Code:
Why Junko threatens them with the air purifier turning off when there's a large, healthy garden.

Code:
Wasn't the threat due to her saying that the air outside was poisonous. A healthy garden won't protect you from poison, just supply you with fresh oxygen.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2014, 06:31:17 PM »

Code:

Edit:

Also, since that one particular scene was mentioned, and this isn't really a plothole, just something that bugged me. . .
Code:
Remember how, after he gets out, Makoto was told he smells horrible?  The next case started up before he
could take a shower, so there was no real time for him to even if you consider the type of storytelling where a game
may omit certain mundane events, like going to the restroom. 

That entire time he was running around dirty and smelly and I couldn't take anything he said seriously.
Because some are not holes at all and others are arguably not holes?

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 08:24:54 PM »

I don't know about Cyril but the two big ones for me were

Code:

Code:
The 1st point is easy. We already know how crazy Monokuma is in following the rules, he did it for the sake of consistency and that's part of Junko Enoshima's personality, she wants to create despair under fair circumstances for the participants.
The 2nd point is a little harder, I do admit that you probably need to just accept it as part of the cartoony nature of the game but at the same time there have been RL cases where babies fell off really high apartments(just google baby survives after falling off the apartment or something and many articles should pop up, doesnt need to be babies, it also happened to people) but survived relatively unscathed by falling into something relatively soft. Not to mention that they necessarily didn't have to make the height so big, they could have easlily made the trash thing much closer to the upper floor and call it a day, don't know why they didnt do that.. I did think about that when it happened but I decided to not dwell on it becase it was not a big deal

Code:
My issue is more with why the other characters automatically assume there is a tub of butter in there rather than it being elsewhere. Kirigiri probably searched but we did not and it is never even mentioned. It seemed really strange for no one to even consider it.

I put the fall down to "it is just a game". Seriously doubt the developers were thinking about babies surviving large falls or anything similar. More likely than not it was due to it looking cooler or something.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2014, 04:43:57 AM »

(Not considering this spoilers since I don't say anywhere who said character is. Will add in tags if somehow it is deemed necessary.)

You know normally I don't rag on the whole Sub/Dub thing but oh man did NISA really crap the bed on this one.

All the other Japanese names are good enough to keep but we've got to go with Genocider Jack/Jill for that one? Really?

I just stumbled across this when wiki browsing the other day to see what the alternative executions were. That one name change alone really makes me not want to play this version. Even with Sub-language on that name text is going to be there every single time. Genocider Jill...what a load of rubbish. That name really inspires terror right there. XP I dunno what 'Syo/Shou' meant in Japanese but it sure didn't sound nearly as goofy.

There's no excuse for the change either. Americanizing one name isn't going to open up your audience any wider. (Yes I know Monokuma/Monobear but at least in that case the names are pretty much the exact same thing.) The target group who was going to buy this game anyway knows well enough about foreign name gender ambiguity without having to ham-fist it like this. XP
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:46:41 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 04:51:13 AM »

^ That same reason is why I wondered why they tried so hard to get rid of the 'Tales of' Japanese openings.  I mean shit... I doubt your average Call of Duty gorilla is playing this series.* 

So I really like your point there.  The Phoenix Wright series, I think, is slowly eating crow on this.  Granted, changing Japanese puns I agree with.

* Even though I actually liked having an "alternate bonus track" for the US release, technically.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 08:02:49 AM »

Yeah, Genocider Jill was the point I stopped trying to make sense of the story and just decided to go along with the ride. Seriously though, she is brilliant.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 02:18:02 PM »

Yeah, Genocider Jill was the point I stopped trying to make sense of the story and just decided to go along with the ride. Seriously though, she is brilliant.

Don't get me wrong. I adore the character. But the name just really is jarring/baffling if you're familiar with the original.

For example: Imagine for the US release of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD they decided Yuna was too Japanese to properly write around for a 30-minute plot point. So they re-named her Susan.

Susan, daughter of Braska; inheritor of the name from Susanalesca.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:21:16 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2014, 03:46:18 PM »

I never watched the anime of the game, but the Japanese name for that madman would fall flat to the majority of the western audience, whereas Jack has much more significance and technically has the same meaning.

Though yeah, the fact the setting is obviously a Japanese country with Japanese names intact looks a tad weird. Still, it's relatively minor.

Don't get me wrong. I adore the character. But the name just really is jarring/baffling if you're familiar with the original.

For example: Imagine for the US release of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD they decided Yuna was too Japanese to properly write around for a 30-minute plot point. So they re-named her Susan.

Susan, daughter of Braska; inheritor of the name from Susanalesca.

You're better off making a case with "FFIII" than FFX.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: