Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:54:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334810 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Most Mature RPG (and non-RPG)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Most Mature RPG (and non-RPG)  (Read 1334 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:44:15 PM »

Since the topic came up in the podcast thread, I'd like to hear what you consider the most mature RPG and non-RPG.
Although I find it easy to find mature works in most mediums, I'm rather troubled when it comes to games.
(<--- stealth Space Brother brag)

Of course this is all about personal opinions since the definition of mature can be different.

For RPG
I think Baldur's Gate 2 would be the most mature I can think of.
The plot is sensical. The characters act as real humans with goals and desire do (up to the point of just ditching your group if they don't see the value in staying)
The villain is well shaped and comprehensible.

For non-RPG
I'm not really sure...
I would have said Catherine in a heartbeat... if the plot didn't crash and burn with everything going magical + goat barman + Ishtar.
Spec Ops: The Line? I dunno, I got nothing...
anonypc

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »

For RPG, skyrim? if skyrim is technicaly not considered an rpg then probably...FF tactics

For non-RPG, civilization 5

P.S. this is my first post, if any of the reviewers are reading thank you for your well written reviews, been following you guys for years.  You guys won me over with your Romancing Saga review for the PS2, @ the time I always thought to myself "Am I the only one that loves this game?" =), cheers.
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »

Xenogears. Deep love story that spans millennia, realistic tragic villains, philosophical undertones, psychological overtones, theological extratones, and complex characters who are written in multihued shades of gray.
Second runner up--Final Fantasy Tactics. Because Matsuno is the Shakespeare of video games.

For non-RPG. . . *shrug*
Everything that comes to mind would be "mature" in the generic ratings way; blood and tits.
The Metal Gear Solids touch on some mature themes. . . but they're also hard to take seriously.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:09:35 PM »

RPG's: Xenogears, Xenosaga, FF series(XIII included, sue me) except a few(X-2, stupid spinoffs etc..), Chrono Cross, Soul Sacrifice, The world ends with you, Breath of Fire 3 and Panzer Dragoon Saga.
Non Rpg's: Bioshock, Last of Us, VLR, 999, Phoenix Wright games(Goofyness is not incompatible with maturity imo),  MGS series.

"Non sensical" plot has nothing to do with Maturity for me, I want characters that behave like human, even if they are unlikeable, I just want their behaviour to be consistent and indicative of their personality and to be believable to the situation at hand, they dont need to exactly do the right thing or the most logical thing(emotional state affects our rationale considerably), they just need to have a believable behaviour. I think people underestimate RPG characters and just put some stupid label devoid of analytical substance on them like whiny or Melodramatic or whatever, if you really think about their actual circumstances and if you tried to put yourself in their shoes in a universe with rules like theirs, most people would run away like cowards or shit their pants on the spot. I like characters that start out very flawed that are forced to grow up through the shit hand they have been dealt. To me a mature plot, is a plot that makes me think and that has some complexity and depth to it, a plot that generates discussion and sparks the imagination of the player, it's not about "maturity" in the traditional sense, plots with characters that mature throughout the story are just as good as the ones that start out with already mature characters, if done right of course. So I guess I relate maturity to complexity, convolutedness in a positive manner, believable characters and a deep narrative.

I reckon not many people will relate to my definition of maturity buttfuckit, it's the way I see things personally.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:21:18 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 09:14:45 PM »

Given your taste in character, I hope you played Grandia (1).
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:15:17 PM »

Given your taste in character, I hope you played Grandia (1).

Not yet but it's on the list ;)

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:37:02 PM »

I can't believe nobody has mentioned The Last of Us.  It's almost trite to bring up at this point because it got so much hype, but some things are hyped for a reason.  I don't know any other game that made me feel for the characters so much.  And they felt like real people stuck in a horrible situation.  Love the little twist at the end too.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »

I can't believe nobody has mentioned The Last of Us.  It's almost trite to bring up at this point because it got so much hype, but some things are hyped for a reason.  I don't know any other game that made me feel for the characters so much.  And they felt like real people stuck in a horrible situation.  Love the little twist at the end too.

I did xD, it's on my Non RPG list.
If you guys find the lack of SMT in my list disturbing, that's because I havent played a single one yet.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:46:03 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »

I can't believe nobody has mentioned The Last of Us.  It's almost trite to bring up at this point because it got so much hype, but some things are hyped for a reason.  I don't know any other game that made me feel for the characters so much.  And they felt like real people stuck in a horrible situation.  Love the little twist at the end too.

Definitely TLoU.  I do like when games take the audience seriously and, y'know, there are adults who act like adults.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:02:13 PM »

The Last of Us

I would like to change my answer. Seriously, didn't even think of that.

I did xD, it's on my Non RPG list.
If you guys find the lack of SMT in my list disturbing, that's because I havent played a single one yet.

Honestly, while I haven't played Personas 3 or 4 yet, all the SMTs I have played have been disappointing dungeon crawly nigh plotless grindfests.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »

The Last of Us is definitely an obvious choice. Otherwise I tend to shy away from games that take themselves too seriously, so I don't have a lot else to contribute to this discussion.

Closest thing I've played to a "mature" (by my definition) RPG even remotely recently would be Valkyria Chronicles.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 11:25:59 AM »

I'm gonna echo Annubis and say BG2 as most mature, along with Planescape:Torment as well. I'd also like to give most of the games in the Suikoden series a consolation prize. I think they generally tell a good, mature story.

Non-RPG: Half-Life 2, TLoU, Myst/Riven, Walking Dead
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 12:04:51 PM »

I'm gonna echo Annubis and say BG2 as most mature, along with Planescape:Torment as well. I'd also like to give most of the games in the Suikoden series a consolation prize. I think they generally tell a good, mature story.

Non-RPG: Half-Life 2, TLoU, Myst/Riven, Walking Dead

Damn totally forgot to mention Suikoden! Completely agree!

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 07:15:39 PM »

Nier

Everything's Eventual
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 07:25:33 PM »

all the SMTs I have played have been disappointing dungeon crawly nigh plotless grindfests.

SMTs ... grindfests.

No.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: