Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 01:04:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Zero Escape 3 might never come to fruition, no funding, aka WORST NEWS EVER!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Zero Escape 3 might never come to fruition, no funding, aka WORST NEWS EVER!  (Read 2544 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 04:35:31 AM »

Well that's disappointing.

Does VLR end on a cliff hanger or something?

It doesn't make me want to rush to play it either.

It's Shenmue III all over again.

Not really a cliffhanger, more like 'Yay, we resolved this crisis, now let's do some extremely awesome stuff in the sequel!'

Anyway, those managers are a bunch of stupid doodoo heads. Do they have any idea how rare it is for a game like 999/VLR to have such success overseas? They are the rulers of the VN frontier right now. There are opportunities. They could rule the VN genre in the West if they set their mind to it. Do they not want to be kings?!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »

Not really a cliffhanger, more like 'Yay, we resolved this crisis, now let's do some extremely awesome stuff in the sequel!'

That's not the vibe I got from it. VLR doesn't resolve anything. It's all nothing but set up for ZE3.

Code:
The world's still boned, with the surviving cast having pretty much zero prospects of a happy future in its current configuration.
 VLR only serves to talk about the apocalypse and how you're going to fix it in ZE3. In fact
it's outright stated that all the bad things in all the character's lives (Clover & Alice being warped to the future, Junpei never
finding Akane until waaaaay at the twilight of their years, everything horrid that happened to anyone else as a result of this world
born post Mars Testing Site, ect.) is never going to be fixed until you change history in ZE3.

Strangely this all makes VLR 'worthless' as a narrative piece, despite being a fantastic bit of writing. It's an excellent tale from a characterization/atmosphere perspective but in terms of narrative it contributes absolutely nothing to the overall plot's resolution. In fact the only things it adds could've been tossed in as a 5-minute or less flashback in ZE3 explaining some of the whos and hows. Sure it helps add tension and strengthens it's value as a trilogy to tell the story with VLR being little more than a bridge segment. But if the creator'd known about this problem, in hindsight, the story would've suffered very little just to skip VLR entirely and go straight to the ZE3 tale.

So honestly I'd say VLR's ending is 'worse' than a cliffhanger because the entire thing is nothing but set up/tease. What few payoffs there are only exist as further teasing for ZE3 as well.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:08:24 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 10:51:14 AM »

That's not the vibe I got from it. VLR doesn't resolve anything. It's all nothing but set up for ZE3.

Hey, it resolves stuff for part of the cast... Because, even if you do fix everything, nothing will change for them. And they're okay with that, remember?

But yeah, it's mostly set-up.

Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 11:10:56 AM »

I don't. This is. What the. GRRRRRRRRRRRR. I would be 100% less mad if the last one didn't end on a cliffhanger. This is why people need to stop making the second game in the series setup for the next game in the series. I love VLR to death, but damn.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 09:51:35 PM »

Well I'm happy to know it doesn't end on a cliff hanger at least. If I ever finish EO 4, it'll probably be what I play next.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 11:16:47 PM »

I don't understand the claim that VLR doesn't end on a cliffhanger...the entire ending sequence is explaining the setting and "goal" for the third game.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 11:22:24 PM »

I don't understand the claim that VLR doesn't end on a cliffhanger...the entire ending sequence is explaining the setting and "goal" for the third game.

Agreed.  It solves the more "immediate" problem of the game but doesn't really hit at the over-arching issue that (more or less) set the stage of the second game.

Fucking hell, I really hope they can make it happen at some point.
If you haven't done so, and why not, join Operation Bluebird of Facebook (Uchikoshi himself is a member :P ).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 11:32:21 PM »

This sounds like Hotel Dusk/Last Window all over again; the game plot was concluded, but the general plot still ended in a cliffhanger. The company went bankrupt and there's little to none chance we'll see a sequel to it.

I sincerely hope this does not happen with Zero Escape. It would be like GRRM dying before releasing Winds of Winter. I would totally support the game if it goes for crowdfunding.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 11:42:16 PM »

This sounds like Hotel Dusk/Last Window all over again; the game plot was concluded, but the general plot still ended in a cliffhanger. The company went bankrupt and there's little to none chance we'll see a sequel to it.

I sincerely hope this does not happen with Zero Escape. It would be like GRRM dying before releasing Winds of Winter. I would totally support the game if it goes for crowdfunding.
What cliffhanger are you referring to?  While there are connections between the two games, I don't think there was any grand plot they had in mind.  It's still such a shame Cing isn't around anymore.  I'm sure Chunsoft is in a much better situation though.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 11:48:40 PM »

What cliffhanger are you referring to?  While there are connections between the two games, I don't think there was any grand plot they had in mind.  It's still such a shame Cing isn't around anymore.  I'm sure Chunsoft is in a much better situation though.

IIRC the stuff with Kyle's partner Bradley wasn't really finished.

Hotel Dusk/Last Window is an amazing series too.... a damn shame it was over too soon.

Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2014, 12:04:17 AM »

Yes, the whole Bradley story, and also the organization that he was supposed working for. This was, at least for me, the main plot of the series - the pursuit of Bradley and the organization.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2014, 12:15:23 AM »

That's right, I guess I just forgot how open it was because of how much of a backseat it seemed to take in Last Window.  I'm sort of satisfied with how it ended though.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2014, 12:27:10 AM »

That's right, I guess I just forgot how open it was because of how much of a backseat it seemed to take in Last Window.  I'm sort of satisfied with how it ended though.

I remember beating it at like 3AM and feeling the same: A wonderfully wrapped up ending for the [one] game.  I am sad we'll never see another, but I did like the amount of closure.

Holy sh** I was scared out of my mind when you're exploring that one level in the dark...for a game with rotoscoped-people and cutscenes I still thought something was gonna jump out and scare the ass off of me.

I really loved the retired cop fella too... and I also loved that a retired cop was in the game (you know your game is 'noir' when there's a retired cop in it). 

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2014, 12:37:49 AM »

The silence combined with those sound cues can be a little scary sometimes.  I don't mean to stay off topic for so long, but does anyone know where the remnants of Cing went to?
Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2014, 12:59:41 AM »

That game had a great atmosphere, despite the strange graphics and movement system - or perhaps because of them. I also really liked the localization, they did a great job and contributed a lot to the game's atmosphere.
My main problem was that i played the game knowing there would not be a sequel, so i was expecting the entire story to be wrapped up nicely. So i was a little disappointed in the game because of it, despite still loving it.

Now, to get back on topic, i am not very familiar with game development, specially the financial area, so i am curious: Assuming there is a kickstarter for Zero Escape 3, what would be the amount needed to fund the development of the game? I think novels are one of the most affordable genre to develop, since it's mostly text-based and not much gameplay. There is still the cost of the 3D characters model, puzzles, soundtrack and voice actors, among other things, but compared to more traditional games, i assume the overall cost is much much lower. Is this about right, or there are things i'm ignoring?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: