Author Topic: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter  (Read 2155 times)

daved

• View Profile
Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:05:14 AM »
I'm really excited for Shadowrun: Hong Kong.  Shadowrun Returns was a decent RPG; albeit linear and relatively short by today's standards, but the editor has allowed for some good user generated campaigns to be made.. But I thought SR Dragonfall-Director's Cut was absolutely incredible. One of the things I loved about it was the almost total lack of filler content; too many RPGs have mandatory grinding, a bunch of boring fetch quests, long boring tutorials, etc.   SR:DF held my interest from beginning to end.  It was Definitely my personal 2014 game of the year and in fact one of my favorite RPGs of all time.  But of course there's still room for improvement with the engine and I'd like the next Shadowrun to be even bigger and better.   

There's definitely evidence of KS fatigue, but their campaign seems to be going pretty well.   I'd hope it helps that this particular developer has proven they can actually deliver a solid game.  I get that people don't want to put up money months or even years in advance, but IMO this is a better alternative to going to a publisher for extra money, who always meddle by forcing DRM, rushing releases, or even trying to exert creative control. 

Draak

• View Profile
Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 01:17:16 PM »
SRR and DF were pleasant surprises, no doubt. I'm looking forward to it too, though I prefer to set my expectations to normal levels haha. Since they won't target the tablet market (for now) HBS might be able to, at very least, tweak the interface. Other than that, I hope they keep the game compact, "fat-free": no huge dungeons, trash battles, fetch quests and so on.

daved

• View Profile
Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 03:29:47 PM »
SRR and DF were pleasant surprises, no doubt. I'm looking forward to it too, though I prefer to set my expectations to normal levels haha. Since they won't target the tablet market (for now) HBS might be able to, at very least, tweak the interface. Other than that, I hope they keep the game compact, "fat-free": no huge dungeons, trash battles, fetch quests and so on.

Yeah, it seems like they are committed to going for a quality over quantity approach.  There's the fact that they have (conservatively) estimated SR:HK's play time as 12 hours, rather than promising an "epic" CRPG.   In the comments, Mitch from HBS has said they're really hoping to continue to improve upon the choice & consequence aspect of the game as well. 

The campaign now has 20 days left and is over $700K.  Lots of great stretch goals have been unlocked: aside from additional companions & their person quests, there's going to be improvements to the interface, improved and more varied Cyberware and magic, and a revamp and improvement of the Matrix segments.