Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 02:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331875 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Help me get caught up on the last 13 years.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Help me get caught up on the last 13 years.  (Read 1440 times)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 05:15:04 PM »

Persona 4
The more recent Persona games combine dungeon crawling with dating sim and visual novel elements. Fight demons, befriend all sorts of people, date a cute girl and don't let your grades slip. That may sound pretty lame, but it's totally amazing thanks to clever gameplay mechanics, extremely likable characters and writing that can be suprisingly mature.

I have to say this is one of the most apt descriptions of P4 I've ever read. Kudos to you Tomara, you really captured the qualities of P4 in a clear and succinct manner. :-)
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 05:52:41 PM »

Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG I've played in over a decade. Only regret I had was not waiting for the Wii U to come out (so I could enjoy the upgraded resolution) after I already played 100+ hours on the Wii. Epic gameplay, exploration, soundtrack, uber-bosses, story, side-quests (if you don't mind doing a bunch) and of course the English accent voice-overs were amusing.

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »

Xenoblade Chronicles and Persona 4 are not without their faults. Xenoblade has nauseating side-quests that go for quantity over quality. The dungeons in Persona 4 are essentially in the same format with different themes. While it lacks ingenuity, it does go with the theme and story of the game.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 12:01:09 PM »

Well, you could not do all the quests in Xenoblade...

Yeah, okay, who I am I kidding, there's no way you won't want to do all the quests. Not because they're so special, but because they're there and are either a) easy to complete, b) guide you while exploring new areas or c) both. Plus, you get to kill a bunch of different shit. Killing shit is what this game is about! First something that should have been in Jurassic Park kills you, but then you return 50+ hours later and kill the shit out of it.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »

Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG I've played in over a decade. Only regret I had was not waiting for the Wii U to come out (so I could enjoy the upgraded resolution) after I already played 100+ hours on the Wii. Epic gameplay, exploration, soundtrack, uber-bosses, story, side-quests (if you don't mind doing a bunch) and of course the English accent voice-overs were amusing.

Dolphin actually makes it look damned good.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »

Well, you could not do all the quests in Xenoblade...

Yeah, okay, who I am I kidding, there's no way you won't want to do all the quests. Not because they're so special, but because they're there and are either a) easy to complete, b) guide you while exploring new areas or c) both. Plus, you get to kill a bunch of different shit. Killing shit is what this game is about! First something that should have been in Jurassic Park kills you, but then you return 50+ hours later and kill the shit out of it.

You don't really even go out of your way to do most of the sidequests in Xenoblade. They're mostly there to give you experience since a lot of the combat is optional I guess?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »

You don't really even go out of your way to do most of the sidequests in Xenoblade. They're mostly there to give you experience since a lot of the combat is optional I guess?

Agreed. Going out of your way to tend to all the side-stuff is a total mistake that hampers gameplay (one I made).  If you just move through the game, you will naturally accomplish the same amount of crap in WAY less time. I know I could have accomplished and seen just as much content in roughly 100 hours as I did in 140 if I played more effectively.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 11:05:04 PM »

It would help if we knew what systems you own/are planning to buy.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: