Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 02:13:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331718 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Underrated Classic!: Gothic 1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Underrated Classic!: Gothic 1  (Read 769 times)
Back2Basics

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWJmjq9tQ5o

awesome game
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »

I remember watching my best friend's brother beat this entire game over the course of like four weeks. Nostalgia.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 10:56:12 AM »

Seeing as it spawned two sequels and several "spiritual successors" I don't think it was underrated at all. The only surprise is that it came out under the Jo Wood banner. I haven't played it in years but I remember the controls being very clunky.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 03:40:23 PM »

Controls are very clunky. I'd call it underrated though. It's one of those games that never caught on with the greater rpg fanbase.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »

The controls are clunky but you get used to them I guess? I thought Gothic 2 was better. It's less the controls and more that the enemies are just brutal, too, so it's less learning curve, more HAHAHA !@#% YOU.

You know, G1 and G2 are really Dark Soulsy in how their combat works, now that I think about it.

G2's pretty fantastic at least though.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:10:49 AM »

Gothic II: Gold is my favorite PC RPG.

I agree with the dark souls kind of feel... I remember being roflstomped by a big ostrich within a few seconds of starting the first one, but once you learn the attack patterns most non human/orc enemies are easy.

I love that you can be creative and use scrolls/arrows/climbing to get past or defeat things way beyond your level and get good loot faster in some cases, and the number of chances the games give you to come back to a tough fight or jackass once you've gained power for a little payback.

Great series.... only counting G1-G2. G3 with the community patch is passable, but the difficulty is screwy so I never became a big fan. Very strange going from G1-2 starting out on molerats/boars and working your way up to Orcs and Orc Commanders, then having G3 reverse all that and suddenly you can wade through an army of orcs without much problem but 2 boars together and you'd better have a good strategy.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 07:40:53 PM »

Gothic 3 was made by different guys, basically.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 07:49:17 AM »

That was Gothic 4 (which is just called Arcania now since the rights to the series reverted to PB), Gothic 3 was still made by Piranha Bytes. I enjoyed G3 when it was fully patched, but it was still nowhere near G2. They bit off more than they could chew by making the game world too big - the quests suffered as a result and the combat wasn't up to much either.

After playing the demo of Arcania I think it's best to pretend that Gothic 4 never existed. Risen is pretty much another Gothic game with some names swapped round anyway, though Risen 2 was let down by having combat as bad as G3.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:57:02 AM by DPB » Logged
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 12:18:42 PM »

Like most PC games, I actually thought the first Gothic was overrated. It wasn't a bad game and I did enjoy it, but I'd read so many rave reviews that, just like Deus Ex, Thief, Neverwinter Nights, etc. I was left wondering, "what's so damn special about it?"
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 06:35:38 PM »

That was Gothic 4 (which is just called Arcania now since the rights to the series reverted to PB), Gothic 3 was still made by Piranha Bytes. I enjoyed G3 when it was fully patched, but it was still nowhere near G2. They bit off more than they could chew by making the game world too big - the quests suffered as a result and the combat wasn't up to much either.

After playing the demo of Arcania I think it's best to pretend that Gothic 4 never existed. Risen is pretty much another Gothic game with some names swapped round anyway, though Risen 2 was let down by having combat as bad as G3.

Agreed. Gothic -> Gothic II: Gold -> Risen

Arcania is a definite skip, and Gothic III is a mostly skip. You can really get lost in the atmosphere and world fully patched, and the patch helps combat a bit... but the quest/storyline isn't nearly as tight or well done as the first 2 due to the overly massive world, and very easy to break/seal off access to large portions of the story and world without even meaning to if you don't explore everything before you start questing.
siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 02:29:19 AM »

I've been meaning to finish this game for the longest. It's right up there with Thief and Deus Ex in my Late 90's to Early 00's PC games that I need to get around to playing. I played up to understanding the controls though, so that's something.

I have tried playing Risen for a bit but the combat felt so stale. Though I think that's because the majority of what I did in Risen was try and kill these overpowered moth things in a cave that was obviously way over my skill/character level. I do remember a unique "leveling" system, an interesting story (VA sucked more than some JP VA's) and a pretty open world. Well, open enough.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 09:36:57 PM »

I still remember downloading Gothic 3. It was perhaps the most disappointing game in my life. Encountering a simple boar that stunlocked my character due to the poor animations at the time was awful. The only way to kill it was to stand on a rock and shoot arrows, and of course the animal's AI was so dumb it just stood there and died.

The game ran like shit too.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: