Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2016, 02:12:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
242256 Posts in 7257 Topics by 2378 Members
Latest Member: Sugoi
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 1142 1143 [1144] Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 1313658 times)
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17145 on: June 28, 2016, 08:04:50 PM »

Speaking of the Netherlands and I was trying to convince my mom that traffic is horrible in the US, mainly because people here don't know how to drive (they all buy European cars and stuff anyway because it's cool or something)

So I get to looking up traffic fatality statistics and Netherlands is like #4 in terms of safety in that regard... nice!

America isn't the worst though... it's stuff like Zimbabwae, it's still pretty bad though.

That is a broad and, frankly, misinformed generalization.  Traffic is terrible in or near big metropolitan areas like Los Angeles or New York City, because of commuter traffic and city infrastructures being more designed more for pedestrian movement than vehicular movement.  Speaking of infrastructure, traffic is usually bad on the highways going into Philadelphia because they're outdated and simply don't have enough lanes to accomodate the amount of traffic coming in and out.  But in less populated areas, traffic is pretty light.

And America is a HUGE country.  3rd largest in the world.  What passes for the norm in Massachusetts is different from the norm in Kansas which is different from the norm in California.  Even within states, upstate New York (like Syracuse) feels like a completely different country from Long Island, even though it's all the same state.

Elsewhere, traffic is worse in New Jersey than in Wyoming because New Jersey is the most densely populated state- one of the smallest states with one of the biggest populations.  On the other hand, Wyoming is one of the largest states with one of the smallest populations, so it's less crowded.  Even then, my cycling club always finds streets in NJ that have almost no traffic.

And in the US, though some states have more aggressive drivers than others (in New Jersey, we're very aggressive drivers.  In Wyoming, they're less so), the average US driver does not cross the double yellow line, stays within the white lines of their lanes, etc.  The Unites States is very much a car culture, so most drivers are competent.  In a country like India, it's pretty much a free for all with ZERO regard for any kind of traffic laws.  The only thing safe on the streets of India is a cow, because it's a sacred animal.  Otherwise, you're screwed.  The sheer thought of driving in India scares me, and I don't want to play that kind of Russian Roulette with my life. 

And in terms of statistics, of course the sheer number of fatalities in the US will be higher than that of, say, Holland is because the United States has one of the largest populations in the world.  When you're comparing a country with 17,000,000 people to a country with 320,000,000 people, of COURSE the numbers in the latter sample will be higher.  So it's important to look at relative statistics vs. raw statistics. 

Ah yeah of course it's a generalizations I don't run into the same bad drivers, I guess it's just been on my mind because recently whilst driving around (and in the US) I've run into so many people who are just driving not good, plus I was reading about lots of really terrible accidents, people losing limbs, deaths, brain damage, it's just awful....

The statistics were per 100,000 so they were relative, but anyway I just wanted to bring it up because I've never been to Netherlands and Tomara is always to eager to share haha! =-) So I was wondering just how it might be different...

Speaking of which! I checked out the website if I'm reading this right it seems like accidents were super high some years ago but have declined very precipitously in recent times.

Also can't help but wonder what "Scootmobiels" are... =-P

Yeah I know some countries are really bad like Thailand but the US was just, IMO, quite bad because on those relative statistics they were near the middle-ish, around countries like... hm I can't remember now but yeah it's just bad.

BUT of course many people here can drive perfectly safe, just wish there were more of them....

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:07:17 PM by Artimicia » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17146 on: June 28, 2016, 10:32:31 PM »

I'm with Dincrest on this one.  If you think people drive badly in the US you need to travel some more.  Not saying US drivers are perfect (because they're certainly not), but I've been to so many places where they're much, much worse.

Also, statistics per unit population don't really account for the fact that a much higher percentage of people in the US drive compared to most places in Europe.  If we assume they all drove equally well you would still have a higher number of accidents per unit population just due to the larger number of drivers per unit population.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17147 on: June 29, 2016, 03:17:55 AM »

The statistics were per 100,000 so they were relative, but anyway I just wanted to bring it up because I've never been to Netherlands and Tomara is always to eager to share haha! =-) So I was wondering just how it might be different...

Speaking of which! I checked out the website if I'm reading this right it seems like accidents were super high some years ago but have declined very precipitously in recent times.

In the 50s and 60s cars became more and more popular (people even held viewing parties where they'd stand next to the highway and watch cars), but the number of fatal accidents increased as well. Many of the victims were children, and in the 70s there was a lot of campaigning to make the roads safer for them. This coincided with the oil crisis of 1973, which made driving expensive and less convenient. The goverment even rationed gas and put national car-free sundays in place. Bicycles, which were already an important mode of transportation before WWII, regained their popularity. Infrastructure and rules were changed to suit the cyclists needs and safety.

Scootmobiels are mobility scooters. The Dutch sometimes do this Japanese thing were we give something a shorter, cuter name. Mobility scooters are subsidised by the government, so a lot of people with limited mobility have one nowadays. The stereotype here is tiny grannies on overpowered vehicles rather than morbidly obese people cruising through Walmart, though.

Here are some pictures of 1973/1974 car-free sundays, by the way:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:27:25 AM by Tomara » Logged
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17148 on: June 29, 2016, 05:59:42 AM »

In the 50s and 60s cars became more and more popular (people even held viewing parties where they'd stand next to the highway and watch cars), but the number of fatal accidents increased as well. Many of the victims were children, and in the 70s there was a lot of campaigning to make the roads safer for them. This coincided with the oil crisis of 1973, which made driving expensive and less convenient. The goverment even rationed gas and put national car-free sundays in place. Bicycles, which were already an important mode of transportation before WWII, regained their popularity. Infrastructure and rules were changed to suit the cyclists needs and safety.

Scootmobiels are mobility scooters. The Dutch sometimes do this Japanese thing were we give something a shorter, cuter name. Mobility scooters are subsidised by the government, so a lot of people with limited mobility have one nowadays. The stereotype here is tiny grannies on overpowered vehicles rather than morbidly obese people cruising through Walmart, though.

Here are some pictures of 1973/1974 car-free sundays, by the way:

Wow awesome! Thanks Tomara.. =-)

I kind of wish we had short cute names for everything.

Anyway re-the other point I'm not saying driving in America is guranteed to get you killed but I'd imagine a "car-free Sunday" might instill some  things 1) You don't always need a car for everything and 2) things are safer when you don't have massive huge objects flying around at high speeds... I've heard stories about places like Vietnam where it's crazy but I've also been to Europe and seen it differently so... anyway.

The other haps is I think I may just get Star Fox Zero after all... that franchise is so very... very silly.. but that's what I like about it too. =-)
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17149 on: June 29, 2016, 09:45:17 AM »

Those pics are seriously cool, Tomara.

Current RPG - Stardew Valley.
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17150 on: June 29, 2016, 12:16:30 PM »

Had an interview this morning for what is essentially my dream job.  Things were going great (uncharacteristically) until right up near the end.  For some reason that defies all logic, I lied about my answer to the very last question they asked.   I have no earthly idea why I did this.  I actually have a bit of a reputation for being TOO honest, so just blurting out a nonsense fallacy to a throw away question isn't like me at all.  Thinking about this is killing me right now.  But what can you do?  I couldn't have just said "well, that's actually not true at all" 2 seconds after I said it could I? It was already out of my idiot mouth by the time I realized what I was even saying...

Fuck.

natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17151 on: June 29, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »

^ You're thinking way too much about it, dude. That in itself won't fix anything. What's done is done. Go for a nice bike ride, or walk, or whatever and clear your head a bit. Give them a call for an update in a few days (or at least before any decision deadline they may have divulged). Showing the extra interest might tip the scales in your favor.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17152 on: June 29, 2016, 06:27:42 PM »

Man I heard some companies have a strict "Don't call us back" policy if they're considering your resume.

Which is silly because "No followup calls" used to be like "Cover-letter not required" in the sense that it meant you did the exact opposite and called them hard.

... Granted, I never did a follow-up call for my current job because I didn't exactly want it or have a clue how to get in contact with my hiring manager anyway.

...... I'm not even sure I gave a cover letter for that matter.

OH speaking of work tho

I was at lunch break today, eating some rice bowl thing in... a tiny little mall that crappy dentist from last year is in. At a small table that sits at most three people. Some homeless-looking dude that... was either not TOTALLY mentally stable or not sober sits down next to me and tries to start talking.

My response is to get up and leave immediately.

Maybe that makes me a dick but A) No. B) I don't trust you. C) PERSONAL SPACE DAWG.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:16:54 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 1142 1143 [1144] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: