Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 26, 2016, 12:58:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
246435 Posts in 7383 Topics by 2383 Members
Latest Member: xxkinsmanxx
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  What's the haps?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] Print
Author Topic: What's the haps?  (Read 1384379 times)
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17550 on: August 24, 2016, 04:42:38 PM »

@Tomara *Anime character voice* EHHHHHHHH?

Toma-san, how does one live in the Netherlands... but not see the sea for so many years...
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17551 on: August 24, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »

It may look like its hot but there are constant sea breezes so you never feel uncomfortably so. And you have a siesta at noon :)
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

Lanterne Rouge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17552 on: August 24, 2016, 07:00:13 PM »

Even at its worst, the Hawaii heat wasn't that bad because it's a tropical climate.  And I liked that whenever it rained, at least in Oahu, it only lasted maybe 10 minutes and it was gorgeous again.  I've gotten used to riding bicycles in the recent New Jersey heatwave so this was comfortable, both near the beaches and up in the forested mountains. 

The oceanside has such a big effect on local temperatures.  I laugh at the "bennies" (that's a New Jersey specific derogatory term for loud and obnoxious shore tourists, like the cast of Jersey Shore) who are all "YEAH!!!!" at the first 90 degree day and are all set in their little bikinis... then they run back to their cars freezing because oceanside is chilly in the mornings, like 60 degrees.  That's why Jersey shore shops sell lots of sweatshirts and hoodies. 

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17553 on: August 24, 2016, 10:53:48 PM »

haps:

HavingExperiencing a bit of a fruit fly incident.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:19:38 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17554 on: August 25, 2016, 12:24:12 AM »

The oceanside has such a big effect on local temperatures.  I laugh at the "bennies" (that's a New Jersey specific derogatory term for loud and obnoxious shore tourists, like the cast of Jersey Shore) who are all "YEAH!!!!" at the first 90 degree day and are all set in their little bikinis... then they run back to their cars freezing because oceanside is chilly in the mornings, like 60 degrees.  That's why Jersey shore shops sell lots of sweatshirts and hoodies. 

I think 60 degrees is about as warm as the water around here ever gets...

I still swim in it ;)

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17555 on: August 25, 2016, 02:48:08 AM »

Toma-san, how does one live in the Netherlands... but not see the sea for so many years...

Well, when a man loves a woman very much... He'll move to the other side of the country to be with her, develop a dislike for his home region and tell his children never to move there. It takes three hours to get to a proper beach (and not, you know, a bit of sand near an evolved puddle), and I never really took the time/had the chance.

I've been to a beach twice in my whole life. First time I was maybe ~2, too young to remember. Sevond I was ~5 and I remember gathering seashells and playing in the waves. O, and also walking from the parking spot, through the dunes, to the beach!

Oh, and I saw the sea three years ago. I was in Den Hague for an anime convention, and our hotel room happened to be pretty high up and face the sea. We took a picture and went back to work.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 06:00:17 AM by Tomara » Logged
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17556 on: August 25, 2016, 05:57:44 AM »

Well, when a man loves a woman very much... He'll move to the other side of the country to be with her, develop a dislike for his home region and tell his children never to move there. It takes three hours to get to a proper beach (and not, you know, a bit of sand near an evolved puddle), and I never really took the time/had the chance.

I've been to a beach twice in my whole life. First time I was maybe ~2, too young to remember. Sevond I was ~5 and I remember gathering seashells and playing in the waves. O, and also walking from the parking spot, through the dunes, to the beach!

Oh, and I saw the sea three years ago. I was in Den Hague for an anime convention, and our hotel room happened to be pretty high up and face the sea. We took a picture and went back to work.

Last time I saw a beach

Oh 3 hours eh? I guess Netherlands is just bigger than I realized.

By the way so I found another interesting age story... Oliver Cromwell was basically totally obscure for like the first 40 years of his life, hm, although of course what he later became known for is highly controversial and brutal, but I mean hey, there it is...
Agent D.

Agent Bewear.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17557 on: August 25, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »

Day 5 of my week off from the gym that no one knew about except me...I feel pretty much exactly the same except I'm not always hungry. Skipped a meal all week this week and I feel pretty alright, aside from just bored while working.

I think I just need a vacation already.

TASTY!
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

^ Idiot

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17558 on: August 25, 2016, 07:52:44 PM »

Even at its worst, the Hawaii heat wasn't that bad because it's a tropical climate. 

:(

haps:

HavingExperiencing a bit of a fruit fly incident.

I hate fruit flies.  I also hate flies in general.  Three times this summer they've flown into my drink.  What a waste of a drink and their life.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

Lanterne Rouge

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17559 on: August 25, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »

Dice, why sad face?  I'd think the tropical climate would be a good thing.  Oh wait, I get it.  That's a "I wish I went to Hawaii" sad face.  If I could store a bunch of my friends in Pokeballs, I would've stuffed ya's into my suitcase.  I swear, that state did everything it could to tell me, "Dude, you ought to to move here."  Even learning that 2% of state taxes go towards art.  Thing is, I might have to go vegan or something, since milk costs $8 a gallon and I like my milk and yogurt.  I mean, damn, I want to bring friends with me and show them "my" Honolulu.  

Still, where I live is good.  People move to the southern NJ area, and oftentimes don't want to leave, because where I live is nice.  But NJ is not a good state for retirees, which is why my parents wanted to retire in South Carolina, but that plan went kaput once my dad died.  Still, I have New Jersey pride.  This is the state I grew up in and you can take a Jersey boy out of New Jersey, but you can't take New Jersey out of a Jersey boy.    

And everything being said, even if (as mentioned earlier) Honolulu replaces New York City as my favorite city (which will be tough since NYC has been my favorite city for about 30 years and I've experienced several major cities on multiple continents: NYC, Philly, DC, LA, Boston, Amsterdam, London, Brussels, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata), whenever I use the term "THE City" it will always refer to New York City because no other city is "THE City"

And don't talk to me about fruit flies.  I had to spend a good portion of my advanced biology class my senior year of high school breeding fruit flies and it was an exercise in total frustration.  

As for haps, I treated myself to a barbershop shave today.  I didn't shave during my vacation and my beard (which grows pretty coarse) was getting unruly.  My friends all tell me I would grow a great beard (since beards are in style) but I'd rather not because I'm too damn scared that a full beard would make me look like a terrorist.  And in post 9/11 and Donald Trump America, being a brown guy with a beard means I could potentially be killed for simply being a brown guy with a beard.  Anyway, the barbershop I went to was fantastic.  Very classic, old-school "man's man" barbershop with good people, great decor (lots of DC comics and James Bond stuff on the walls), sweet music on the stereo (Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Pavement), and I got a fantastic shave.  Every man needs to get a classic barbershop shave at least once in his life.  Ladies, if you're dating a "man's man" he ain't gonna do a frou frou facial, but he will do a barbershop shave and you both will love the results.  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:14:47 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17560 on: August 25, 2016, 10:52:36 PM »

And everything being said, even if (as mentioned earlier) Honolulu replaces New York City as my favorite city (which will be tough since NYC has been my favorite city for about 30 years and I've experienced several major cities on multiple continents: NYC, Philly, DC, LA, Boston, Amsterdam, London, Brussels, Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata), whenever I use the term "THE City" it will always refer to New York City because no other city is "THE City"

Lived in Seattle for over ten years now but NYC is still the only "the city" to me (born and raised in Connecticut).

Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: