Author Topic: Whats the haps?

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #19500 on: July 21, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
I don't think I could judge someone who committed suicide. It's usually an impulse thing and the ultimate reaction to too many things failing.

Some very lighthearted haps: My sister's bachelorette party (just dinner with friends) is tomorrow and the person organising it suddenly decided there's a dress code: pink.

I have exactly four pink things in my wardrobe:
-two pairs of underwear
-my Pinkie Pie socks
-a sad looking cardigan I should have thrown out years ago

I love my sister, but my the pinkest thing she'll see on me is my summer dress with slightly sepia-toned cherry blossoms. I'm not going to rush out  to buy something I'll only wear once just because someone it bad at organising parties :/

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19501 on: July 21, 2017, 12:09:21 PM »
It's so easy for us to sit on our little thrones of judgment and accuse someone who committed suicide as acting on some kind of selfish emo whim, but suicide is so much more complicated than that.  Look at most any case, textbook or otherwise, and the truth is that NONE of them were ever just done on a whim.  Sure, the media might try to spin it as such (e.g. they were such a happy kid, what went wrong?) but taking away your own life is not a natural impulse and not a sudden one at all.  Sure when we're embarrassed we want to "crawl into a hole and die" but we never literally do that. 

Getting to the point of even considering suicide as a viable option takes decades of something rotten festering away like a cancerous pustule.  Mental health is serious.  I would theorize that even the most suicidal person deep down wants to live, but something in their brain feels like they have to die- to take control of what they feel is a runaway train.  No matter what, suicidal people are scared.  Scared of living and scared of dying and dying (in their minds) feels like the lesser of two evils, because at least they feel like they can actually control destiny.  A big component of suicide is the feeling of control or lack thereof, I'd imagine.   

If you go to a college like MIT, the suicide rate at that school is incredibly high.  You would think it wouldn't be since everyone who goes to that school has it made- they're super intelligent, probably come from wealth (since it's not a cheap school), and a bright future ahead.  But when you have a setting where everyone was valedictorian and on the first exam, the lowest grade in the class is a 95, that kid with the 95 gets the failing grade because college often grades on the curve.  The kid who was valedictorian, straight A's, big fish in the small pond... now he's nothing.  A nobody in a sea of straight A valedictorian big fish.  And worse yet, because he got the lowest grade in the class, he's now a failure.  Entire identity is absolutely shattered, that intense pressure to succeed along with always achieving success renders him unable to cope with the first brush of failure.  It's not surprising that kids at MIT crack. 

EDIT: And Tomara- we need the Pinkie Pie socks!  We need some Pinkie Pie joy to offset the suicide talk.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:13:06 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19502 on: July 21, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »
This is another of those moments where I seem to be the one on the other side of fhe fence in the discussion, and I accept that. Won't drag it in, but just know I disagree vehemently with anyone who defends him in the slightest.

More agreeable haps, this weekend I'm gonna start my special training for the airplane pull in september.

What training, you ask?

Why, I'll be pulling cars up and down my street! Look forward to some videos I'll be posting of me dragging my car up and down the block.

TASTY!

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #19503 on: July 21, 2017, 05:24:36 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjJPYwAZs6Y

(I had to D.  I just had to.  For anyone curious, it's
Spoiler: show
a kung fu master pulling a bus with his penis.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #19504 on: July 21, 2017, 11:08:04 PM »
Hmm.  It's not really possible to explain this sort of thing with words, but I'm going to try anyway.  If nothing else, it will be an interesting exercise in composition, and maybe I'll succeed in weirding a few of you out.

Take your worst memories, the worst things you've ever done, the worst things that have happened to you, the worst you have witnessed, and focus on them.  Imagine that they're not memories, but that you're experiencing them right now, all at once.  Multiply that by ten, or by a hundred, until it's not just an unpleasant sensation in your head, but your chest feels like it's being crushed.

Now, instead of that sensation lasting for just a moment, imagine it lasting for minutes, hours, days, months, years, centuries, millennia, uncounted aeons, with every moment stretched out beyond comprehension, your very perception of time dilated by pain.

Let's call that level of pain 4/10.  Nasty if it hits you without warning, I guess, but manageable once you get used to it.  Humans are pretty damn tough.

I hit 10/10 once.  Briefly, just for a few hours; I haven't been near it since.  Nobody kills themselves at 10/10. Nobody does anything at 10/10.  All you can do is curl up in a ball and breathe.  It's hard to explain, but I can't imagine that level of pain, even though I experienced it.

8/10 is dangerous.  That's where the pain is beyond tolerance, but not so bad that you can't move.  I'm mostly guessing, but I think a slow drop from 10/10 through 8/10 is probably what breaks most victims.  I obviously haven't spent much time near 8/10.  Anybody who has is dead, insane, in an institution, or on medication.  Or maybe they're just monstrously strong, I dunno.

Once you understand the scale, it's just a matter of weighting.  This may seem callous, but thinking about the effect your death will have on the people around you is just another type of pain, and if that pain is small enough in comparison to what you're going through, well...the bigger pain swamps the smaller pain out.  And whatever you want to believe, there is always a bigger pain.

When I hear about someone committing suicide, my reaction is not contempt, or anger, but pity.  I still consider them responsible for their actions, but they're as much a victim as a perpetrator.

And if any of you do encounter a potential suicide, for the love of God, please don't call them evil and selfish.  Fake some compassion, instead.  Get them to talk about themselves.  Don't feed them some crap about how life is worth living, just try to make them feel a little better about the *present moment*.  Then, when they drop their guard, knock 'em out, tie 'em up in a sack and drag 'em to a professional.

Haps:  My three-week vacation starts today.  I don't plan on doing anything productive.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #19505 on: July 22, 2017, 12:05:10 AM »
^ I think anyone who has dealt with depression can agree that's a pretty good way of explaining things.

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #19506 on: July 22, 2017, 08:45:05 AM »
Yeah, as someone who has dealt with severe depression in the past (and I currently take antidepressants and do many things to combat my depression), I can see why someone would commit suicide. I've been in that state where I didn't care if I died and wished for a big semi-truck to run me over.

In other news, I got a new job in Raleigh! I'm happy to be moving out of Ohio and going to a smaller firm where I won't have to work so many hours!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19507 on: July 22, 2017, 03:50:15 PM »
After being the eldest sibling all my life, I got demoted to my little sister's little sister by her friends. I'm sorry, sis.