Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 03:59:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329495 Posts in 13500 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  One Of The Greatest RPGs Of All Time :Baldur's Gate!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: One Of The Greatest RPGs Of All Time :Baldur's Gate!  (Read 997 times)
Back2Basics

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWRdgcXzfx0

anyone remember this classic?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »

I can't remember.

Is that the one where you have to dress up in womens clothes and kill Sephiroth?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:35:48 PM »

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:38:46 PM »

I can't remember.

Is that the one where you have to dress up in womens clothes and kill Sephiroth?

I always put on heels and a skirt for end bosses.
That way they feel even more like a bitch when I'm tea bagging them.

Like most WRPGs, I found Baldur's Gate overrated. Loved it, sure, the exploration and everything, and the story was interesting--what there was of one--even if the dearth of meaningful dialogue made me indifferent to the characters.
also, some of those boss battles, particularly near the end, were shit. Not as bad as II, but enough to piss me off.

But one of my greatest gaming moments will forever remain the time I fought the black dragon in Baldur's Gate II (or whichever dragon it was in the forest near the end).
Minsc dealt the first and last blow. Practically shit my pants expecting an hours  long hellish battle and instagibbing the thing instead.
Technically it was the vorpal blade's doing. . . but I like to think Boo did, in fact, go for the eyes.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:43:49 PM »

I can't remember.

Actually...
http://www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:52:38 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't actually think BG1 was a very good game.  It was a decent first attempt for a brand new studio, but it still had a ton of problems that needed to be worked out.

And BG2 worked out those problems.  Now that was a good game.

also, some of those boss battles, particularly near the end, were shit. Not as bad as II, but enough to piss me off.

Now that's just crazy talk.  The difficulty curve in BG1 was borderline broken.  It had some real pound-your-head-against-the-wall-I-can't-believe-they-actually-expect-me-to-be-able-to-win-this moments, particularly towards the end.  BG2 was 100 times better balanced.  I never even came close to the level of frustration I felt in BG1.

Never forget, though: Tiax rules.

Edit:
Some gather your party music.  Because why not?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:02:19 PM by Kevadu » Logged

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:42:42 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't actually think BG1 was a very good game.  It was a decent first attempt for a brand new studio, but it still had a ton of problems that needed to be worked out.

Like how level 1-5 is extremely boring on most classes in the D&D system.
Half of BG1 is you looking at your skill/spells and sighing.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 10:48:58 PM »

Played BG2 a lot with my brother.  That one was fun.

The world needs more co-op gaming.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:52:15 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 10:52:22 PM »

Now that's just crazy talk.  The difficulty curve in BG1 was borderline broken.  It had some real pound-your-head-against-the-wall-I-can't-believe-they-actually-expect-me-to-be-able-to-win-this moments, particularly towards the end.  BG2 was 100 times better balanced.  I never even came close to the level of frustration I felt in BG1.
Crazy talk? From me? Pshaw! :P
Well it's been a few years, but while I remember being very frustrated with those later bosses in BGI, I was still able to do them--with the exception of one, which could be avoided.
A few of the bosses in BGII (Irenicus) I just couldn't do and had to look up tips online.
And the expansion. God, even two years later thinking about that bullshit makes me furious. And that was just after playing Wizardry 8. 
To this day my dreams are haunted by Melissan screaming "You shall suffah!" over and over and over and over until I wake up in a cold sweat, shaking with terror. 

The world needs more co-op gaming.
Chigau!
I think the fact developers are putting more focus into multiplayer these days to the point single player experiences are suffering from it is destroying good old fashioned gaming for those of us who don't play games communally. It was annoying as fuck looking up tips for Demon's Souls and finding mostly "lol get somebody to help you lol."

As Morgan Webb says: "I don't play games to make friends; I play games to shoot you in the face."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:59:33 PM by Ikusagami » Logged
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 11:54:58 PM »

Beating Melissan was indeed a pretty big achievement.
Immuned to everything but +5 (and up)
Around 200 spell resist
Hits like a truck and always cleaves
Summons pawns eternally
Gotta kill her a handful of time

... She makes Demogorgon look easy.

It doesn't help I never have a Paladin in my group to abuse Carsomir.
That sword is sooooooooooo good... but I don't like Keldran =(
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 06:38:31 AM »

no I still have to decide whether I want to play the original with mods or enhanced edition.

I've literally been contemplating this for years.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »

It's great, but I will never play that game to completion again in my life.  Too damn long, man.

siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »

I don't really like Baldur's Gate 1 all that much. I don't hate it, I just don't like it all too much. Mind you, I played the original. No mods, just the latest patch, and that's it. So vanilla it hurts.

For starters, I didn't like the combat. It tried to blend real-time with turn-based and it just really didn't work. Most battles boiled down to pointing your fighters/rangers to the nearest dude, and have the casters shoot shiny stuff at the baddies every once and a while. The only time I applied strategy was the final boss, where I lead him into the middle away from everyone and shoved like 20 fireballs up his ass. It was hilarious, but pretty much the only good part in the game in terms of battling. The story wasn't that interesting either. Playing as a Paladin felt like a waste, since the most fun to be had in the game was definitely the magic battles. I'm glad that some of the kickstarter successors are choosing turn-based over the RTwP thing.

However, Minsc is awesome. And the sequel was badass. So there's that.
Replicant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 03:13:28 PM »

I bought Baldur's Gate 2 when it first came out and loved it.
I always played JRPGs and didn't like any of the PC RPGs I tried before BG2.
It's still one of my favorite games and I love to go back and play it every year, but it always bothered me that I missed the first half of the story so years later I tried Baldur's Gate 1 but I just couldn't get into it.
Everything in 1 just feels like a concept that was perfected in 2 so playing them out of order ruined the first game for me.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 07:03:19 AM »

I played it once, but never got too far. It was one of those games that didn't like me trying to play with a cool class. It was like "you think you can use some illusion spells against anything, think again", typical WRPG fake versatility. I also have bad memories playing Neverwinter Nights with a necro wizard where my only useful assets were magic missiles and crossbow.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: