Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 03:28:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335280 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Nintendo Wi-Fi shutting down.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Wi-Fi shutting down.  (Read 689 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:04:33 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/26/nintendo-shutting-nintendo-wi-fi-service-wii-ds/

Hope you've collected every item from DQIX's online shop and every ship part for your boat in Phantom Hourglass, because this May will be the end of this functionality.

I bet this affects the Wii/DSi VCs too, so use up any outstanding points/cash still left on those devices.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »

I bet this affects the Wii/DSi VCs too, so use up any outstanding points/cash still left on those devices.
Seriously?  That seems a little quick...I mean, if Sony cut off PSN for PS3s I think the backlash would be insane.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:01:10 AM »

They will, eventually. Maybe not anytime soon but certainly at some point. It sucks, but this is the "digital future" everyone is clamoring for.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »

Also, they don't even have everything on VC up for the Wii U yet.  I just can't imagine this disabling the shop.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 11:17:06 AM »

Also, they don't even have everything on VC up for the Wii U yet.  I just can't imagine this disabling the shop.

The shop will still be available according to what I read. It is the multi-player games and wii/DS game downloads that will be going away.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »

I can't help but wonder what this will mean for the online aspect of Project M. Do they piggyback off of the brawl servers or do they have their own?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 02:25:22 AM »

Worth pointing out some things:

1. As noted in the IGN story they used GameSpy servers for Wii/DS online play.

2. GameSpy Technologies have since been bought by Glu mobile, who has since shut down some of the servers for older games and is apparently charging a high fee for continued support.

3. They also will not license their software out anymore, which combined with the former give me the impression they kind of want to kill it and absorb what they acquired into their other services.

I wouldn't be surprised if the costs really were too much now versus when they originally inked the deal.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:55:05 PM by Eusis » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:24:17 PM »

So basically this is less Nintendo's fault and more Glu Mobile's fault.

--- edit ---

Actually that just makes this kind of depressing.

What's REALLY disturbing about this though? Take it in the context of recent software-as-service and cloud computing developments. Buy-and-kill business practices are nothing new -- and a lot of mergers/acquisitions turn into this unintentionally anyway -- but when you're talking about really broadly used services? Especially on closed platforms (which a lot of smartphones/tablets effectively are)?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:39:48 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 09:49:49 PM »

Which is exactly why I'm not a big fan of "the cloud".

It's a bit weird how most gaming-related websites are reporting the shutdown without properly explaning the reasons for such action. Then again, there seems to be an anti-Nintendo thing going on lately.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: