Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 04:39:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329270 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Rise of Mana (w 3 audio samples)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Rise of Mana (w 3 audio samples)  (Read 988 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »

The first one is Final Fantasy Adventure or Sword of Mana for the remake.

Mystic Quest is something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Adventure

Learn up. FFMQ is an SNES game in the US, called "FFUSA" in Japan.

But in *Europe* (PAL territory), the first Seiken Densetsu was called "Mystic Quest."

****THE MORE YOU KNOW****

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »

First game was a Zelda clone with Final Fantasy trappings and a Green Aesop plot/ending. It's also one of the best games on the Original GameBoy.

Second game was Secret which was a great looking (at the time) ARPG with a great soundtrack and multiplayer, which at the time, was an impressive feat. Nowadays, you can easily find games that do the above and more.

Third game was SD3 which has no proper western Mana designation yet and Squeenix continues to refuse to bring this over officially. Otherwise, its the game that really set the tone for the series and is generally an improvement over Secret (although I don't think they fully replicated the multiplayer aspect, only allowing for two players instead of three; the environments/dungeons are generally less inspired (not that they were that much better in Secret); and the soundtrack isn't quite as good).

Fourth game was basically a SaGa game if SaGa games were sidescrolling beat-em-ups with the usual Mana trappings. It does some things really well, but the game has some serious balance issues and kinda feels half-baked in spots. Still a solid game though.

Fifth game is Sword. It tries to be all four of the previous game, but the fact that the balance is awful and that its a remake of the first game that doesn't really add anything to it really drags it down. And being on the GBA really doesn't do its soundtrack any favors.

The rest are hot garbage (but have good soundtracks at least).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »

Here's what's possibly going to be considered a heretical statement:

I enjoyed Secret of Evermore just a little bit more than Secret of Mana. My biggest problem with the SD games are that each of them seem to have the exact same simple plot presented each time in a different overly convoluted way.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 10:01:17 PM »

Here's what's possibly going to be considered a heretical statement:

I enjoyed Secret of Evermore just a little bit more than Secret of Mana. My biggest problem with the SD games are that each of them seem to have the exact same simple plot presented each time in a different overly convoluted way.

There's nothing wrong with this statement. Evermore reuses Secret's game engine and has its own solid soundtrack, plus it has a lot more humor and personality in its writing (even if the humor consists mostly of dated references). Kinda wish it was a little better balanced rather than being as breakable as it is (Hard Fist and the basic healing alchemy spells are pretty much the only ones ever worth using aside from the Defense and Strength boosting ones being usable in causing integer overflow for MASSIVE STRENGTH without the leveling).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 12:57:57 AM »

You know what's really annoying about the Mana series? The later games could have been much better, if they had just put a bit more effort into them. Dawn of Mana needed to get the camera and level-up system fixed, Heroes needed to deal with the path-finding issue and Children...admittedly that one was just kind of mediocre. It wasn't bad though. Fun for what it was.

Heroes had a pretty good plot, and it set up SD3 pretty well, but the gameplay was clearly a tech-demo for FFXII: Revenant Wings, and Dawn had some good ideas but awful execution. Again, Children of Mana seemed to be exactly what they were aiming for, they just didn't aim very high.

Square Enix just kept phoning them in.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 01:00:25 AM by Zendervai » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 09:28:52 AM »

You know what's really annoying about the Mana series? The later games could have been much better, if they had just put a bit more effort into them. Dawn of Mana needed to get the camera and level-up system fixed, Heroes needed to deal with the path-finding issue and Children...admittedly that one was just kind of mediocre. It wasn't bad though. Fun for what it was.

Heroes had a pretty good plot, and it set up SD3 pretty well, but the gameplay was clearly a tech-demo for FFXII: Revenant Wings, and Dawn had some good ideas but awful execution. Again, Children of Mana seemed to be exactly what they were aiming for, they just didn't aim very high.

Square Enix just kept phoning them in.

That's what compilations are though, a bunch of low effort games developed all at once, and the World of Mana compilation was bad, even by compilation standards.

Also, the series seems to be deathly afraid of getting near Secret in terms of goings ons (either clinging to FFA or SD3). Its like the Zelda II of the series.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: