Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2016, 11:00:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
237424 Posts in 7076 Topics by 2351 Members
Latest Member: Drtsoni
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Print
Author Topic: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread  (Read 32071 times)
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: April 13, 2016, 10:26:10 AM »

It's such a sad story and she's suck a great character. :'(

:/
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 13, 2016, 10:26:48 AM »

Bluetooth headphones are pretty great.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: April 13, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »

Freud would have a field day

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: April 13, 2016, 04:27:39 PM »

Ok, still listening to the rest of the To The Moon episode.

***SPOILERS ENSUE***

Johnny is DEFINITELY selfish and close to being the game's only "villain".  His request to wipe out his memories of his life with River is monstrous.  That's exactly why Neil was freaking out about it at the end, when he discovered the actual reason Johnny wanted to go "to the moon".  For him, in his heart, and buried deep in his memories, going to the moon meant a return the pure love the he and River formed for each other as children: a love based on acceptance and innocence.  And at the end of his life, he doesn't understand that, despite almost sabotaging it many times, he actually DID have that love in his life.  Unfortunately, he just couldn't appreciate what he had.
Eva's solution was brilliant, though: she fulfilled the letter of the contract, but at the same time fulfilled the spirit of it as well, making sure that River was still a part of Johnny's new memories, because River was really all he wanted all along.  So Johnny is actually working against himself by requesting these new memories, and the two main characters need to figure out how to prevent that.

River is the most tragic figure simply because she remembers EVERYTHING.  She remembers it all.  From the moment young Johnny approaches her at school, acts like he doesn't know her, yet asks her out, she spends the rest of her life loving him happily but also... missing something, something she can't understand or put into words.  She misses the understanding between the two of them.  And she never gets to used to it!  She spends her ENTIRE LIFE hoping he'll remember.  On her death bed, she doesn't give up trying to remind him.  And she dies without him ever understanding.  It's been years since I played this, and I still want to cry, just typing this up.

I will say, though, that I think Johnny did eventually really love River.  His motivations for asking her out were selfish, but staying with her was entirely because he really did want to make her happy, which is what it means to love another person.

IhaveFURY
RPGFan Editor

Rocker, roller, out-of-controller.

View Profile Email
« Reply #499 on: April 13, 2016, 04:52:54 PM »

Freud would have a field day

Oops. xD typos ftw

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: April 21, 2016, 12:22:52 AM »

Nier: Heart of Darkness made by Yoko Taro!

Code:
IIRC the chlorination syndrome was caused by maso/magic dispersed after the giant died.
http://nier.wikia.com/wiki/Maso

Also try playing Spec Ops the Line for a similar mindfuck.

(I hate that if someone is scantily clad, particularly females and not males, then automatically it's because she's eye candy, because it doesn't at all play into her personality of being in control and a badass. Bikini armor is a common point of criticism, because it's sexy, but does that not make the character seem all the more brave for fighting with such little protection?)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:49:43 AM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

Crocodile, Side-Eye Style

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #501 on: April 21, 2016, 02:09:54 AM »

Fictional scantly clad woman created and designed by men don't need championing. It's ok to like these characters--I like Kaine and Bayonetta -- but let's not make any bones about why they've "chosen" to dress that way.

RE: Bikini armor, if you're going into battle and you prefer mobility over heavy defense, wouldn't it makes a lot more sense to, y'know, just wear normal clothes?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:55:39 AM by Towns Car Marty » Logged

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: April 21, 2016, 11:29:04 AM »

Fictional scantly clad woman created and designed by men don't need championing.

There are female character designers out there who still draw scantily clad female characters.

I have to say, though, the male character designers could stand to scale way back on armor designs, sometimes. Xenoblade X being a good example.  It's so bad there, they lampoon it in their own game.

Voxmeister

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: April 23, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »

Regarding Nier: It's quite telling how opinions differed greatly in the first episode (including a lot of negativity) but in the end everyone was showering praise over it.
missRPGirl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: April 27, 2016, 03:26:08 PM »

So since I am playing Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale, I was wondering if you guys would play PopoloCrois on the PSP or another popular PSP. Other PSP games that I think are also worth mentioning are the Lunar series which might be the best option since Lunar is on a lot of platforms. Theres Crisis Core, Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion and the Ys series.

Towns Car Marty
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #505 on: April 27, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »

I wish a lot of the games you mentioned were on PSN; I still have many of the UMDs but my PSP has long given up the ghost :(

You liked Tear of Vermillion, huh? That's not an opinion often seen. I was happy to have the chance to play it in (spotty) English, but it's definitely the most cut-down version of that game. I wish the Gagharv Trilogy got better treatment outside of Japan :(

missRPGirl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: April 28, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »

I wish a lot of the games you mentioned were on PSN; I still have many of the UMDs but my PSP has long given up the ghost :(

You liked Tear of Vermillion, huh? That's not an opinion often seen. I was happy to have the chance to play it in (spotty) English, but it's definitely the most cut-down version of that game. I wish the Gagharv Trilogy got better treatment outside of Japan :(

Yeah I didn't mind Tear of Vermillion, its one of the better ones from that trilogy. I think it being repetitive is what bothered me the most. Moonlight Witch was ok and then Song of the Ocean, well I didn't bother with that one but maybe one day.

You know I guess I'm surprised Crisis Core isn't on the PSN, even though I haven't played that game yet, but yeah I wish some of the really good ones were on PSN.

Towns Car Marty
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #507 on: April 28, 2016, 09:19:37 AM »

Square-Enix's best PSP games continue to be conspicuously absent. :(

IhaveFURY
RPGFan Editor

Rocker, roller, out-of-controller.

View Profile Email
« Reply #508 on: April 28, 2016, 02:45:40 PM »

Seeing a Crisis Core rerelease of some sort would be nice, since I don't own a PSP anymore. :( Same for VP: Lenneth, Star Ocean 1 and 2...

Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 28, 2016, 03:43:45 PM »

Seeing you all talk about it, I'm shocked that they haven't already done that.  Don't even have to make them HD or anything!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: