Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2015, 01:38:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
351774 Posts in 14327 Topics by 2253 Members
Latest Member: Intero
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  Daria plays Faria.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Daria plays Faria.  (Read 140 times)
DariaRPG

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 09:04:06 PM »

https://twitter.com/xkeepah/status/589211015042072576

this is apparently relevant but I don't know why.

Is he doing a rom hack? I can see how the game could benefit from some improvements. Enjoyable but flawed would be an apt description for Faria.

All I know is that the page doesn't exist when I try to view it (its probably something wrong with my browser or version of Java since I'm still using prehistoric Java 1.7.such and such due to not being able to upgrade due to Java no longer supporting Windows XP).

It's not you, it's the link. I just went straight to the guy's twitter and scrolled down.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »

It's not a romhack, he just found some useless assembly code embedded in it?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

DariaRPG

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 11:17:20 PM »

So the desert is pretty spacious, there's a port not too far from the cave where I entered the area but they don't transport foreigners. Apparently the port master didn't get the memo that I'm the savior of the kingdom, but no biggie I didn't plan on sailing anywhere anyway. There's two towns across the desert, which is a pretty long trek but I think they upped the encounter rate for this area. Which is just retarded. But once I make the walk I won't have to do it again thanks to the (warp) wings item. The first town is being terrorized by an evil elephant who (thankfully) lives not in a tower but a nearby forest. I make a detour to kill him and he turns out to not even be a special boss, but a (slightly) tougher than normal mob. The town recognizes my awesome skillz yo and gifts me a translation machine. This is useful because the town is literally crawling with dragon men that I can now talk with. One informs me that his friend Zelos traveled south for... some reason. He must have been the dragon I saw in the forest earlier. While I'm here I buy a sweet pair of jumping shoes that let me hop over enemies in battle. I don't know how useful they are but damn they're fun.

The town to the south sells some decent equipment including the hyperspeed2. Sweet! Now I can run super fast just like the mobs around here. The extra oomph in speed is actually a lot of fun. Some random old guy gives me a letter of passage for that port I visited earlier. I'm surprised he didn't send me off on another heroic errand but I'm not arguing. Another dragon townie lets it drop that Zelos (hey I know that name) has a rare suit of armor. Reeeeallly? So I wing my way back to the township of paper to drop in on my new bestie Zelos; he's so grateful to talk to someone that isn't too busy soiling themselves that he just hands over the Super Armor (Yay!).

This seems like a good time to travel to the next area (even though I really didn't do anything but ok) and wow. The whole island is a big maze, I don't know what I'm doing here but I wander around aimlessly for awhile. My least favorite enemy so far has to be the invisible fuckers that shoot shock waves at you. They teleport around the screen and the only way I've found to fight them is to spastically thrust my sword around and hope someone runs into it. This is surprisingly more effective than it sounds. But this area is so abundant with the invisible bastards that I've started running away from them. This can cost me small amounts of gold, HP, or XP. This sucks, but not as badly as dying.

I finally run into another town, which thankfully sells magic glasses to (gasp) see the invisible enemies. Thank god! The word on the street is that the evil wizard can disguise himself to look like anyone. Well crap. There's also a woman hiding in the south portion of the town that can only be accessed by entering said town by a southernly direction from the over world. She sells a single item, the seemingly worthless paper sword. I have no earthly reason to own this weapon but since it was obviously hidden I buy one anyway. Maybe the Stone king can only be cured by a Paper sword?

I hurry back to the castle since I now strongly suspect that the princess I rescued is in actuality the evil wizard (which isn't much of a surprise at all). However some strongly armed guards block the entrance to the castle by "order of the princess". Damn. Now what?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:55:33 AM by DariaRPG » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 12:47:06 AM »

I hurry back to the castle since I now strongly suspect that the princess I rescued is in actuality the evil wizard (which isn't much of a surprise at all). However some strongly armed guards block the entrance to the castle by "order of the princess". Damn. Now what?

Are you genuinely asking, or are you just saying this for effect?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
DariaRPG

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 12:49:56 AM »

Are you genuinely asking, or are you just saying this for effect?

Effect. :P

There's a "north" tower one of the townies mentioned in the maze-area town. So I figure I need to wander around that area and find it. I've been playing the game without hints, I'd like to see if Faria is really as hard as it's rumored to be.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Today at 12:40:24 AM »

If this game is the NES game I just saw on YouTube then holy shit, Action RPG roots if there were any...  You go Daria.  You play that Faria.  It looks awesome!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
DariaRPG

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Today at 09:13:57 AM »

If this game is the NES game I just saw on YouTube then holy shit, Action RPG roots if there were any...  You go Daria.  You play that Faria.  It looks awesome!

Heh, I don't know what video you saw but thanks. :P

Short update: defeated another Tower, don't know why it was just "there". Totally botched my map so I said screw it and checked the official map; I was standing like 5 rooms away from the boss so I murdered his face with my arrows.

Boss was actually a bit of a dick: he would flip in and out of invincibilty and was vunerable only to arrows. And if he hit you he cast confusion. So I was just flipping around, triggering random abilities all over the place. Killed him completely by accident. But he dropped some sweet sky shoes, whatever they're for.

That healing ring turned out to totally amazing, as I mentioned before it heals you over time, so if you're too damaged you can hang out in an empty room until you're back to max health. Considering I was pausing every room to draw my map my health rarely dropped below 100 (my current max is 175). Your visable health bar maxes out at 100, which is stupid. So you have to go into the status menuto view your health totals at any given time. 
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: