Author Topic: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread

Monsoon and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« Reply #690 on: March 20, 2017, 02:11:23 PM »
I think X-2 just slipped under our radar when we were planning, unfortunately.

FFX-2 is a fun game to play, but everything else rubs me up the wrong way, but I completely agree that it's more enjoyable than a lot of other numbered entries. I'm glad the backlash has died down on it though, because it doesn't deserve it. Unfortunately, it's just not for me, and I still think it never needed to be made. I guess I was only comparing it to XIII-2 since they're both direct sequels, but of what I've played of it, I really didn't like it. Definitely my least favourite overall FF.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 20, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »
FFX-2 ... I still think it never needed to be made.

It's one of my favorite games of all time and even I can't argue with this.  It's lack of necessity doesn't change my feelings toward it, though. :P

More Thoughts on Retro Encounter 74

- Ah, here we go.  The IX discussion.  As someone who has no nostalgia-goggles for this game, the amount of hype and lack of criticism this game gets continues to baffle me.  It almost makes it difficult for me to think about IX and remember all the wonderful things it got right, simply because it's difficult for me to ignore its glaring flaws the way everyone else seems to be able to easily do.
I'm all set to accept that IX wins the "Favorite" debate at the end of this episode, though, so I'll try not to get too salty about it. ;)

- Loved the point about X's stellar world-building.  Honestly, that could be half the reason I connected with the characters so much, because I could easily put myself in that world.  The ending of X is still the best ending in all of video games, I think.

- It sounds like you did discuss X-2 a bit!  But not much.  Thanks for the shoutout to its great ATB system, @divingfalcons .

- Oh, goodness, the butterflies for Kimahri's weapons....... GRRRR!!  Absolutely the worst one, and still the only one I have never successfully completed.

- Yep.  You guys picked IX.  *sigh*  Not only would IX be at the bottom of my list from among these 4, but it wouldn't even be anywhere near my Top 4 in the first place.
At least VI was #2.  That makes me happy. :)

Great job, guys!  I know it's so difficult to "rank" FFs and such, but you guys did great!  Looking forward to more Retro Encounter from all of you.  Because of this podcast, I'm going to have to replay IX soon.  It's been a very long time.  Perhaps a replay will raise it in my estimation.
Current RPG - Final Fantasy XV

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 20, 2017, 06:20:28 PM »
Aaaaaaand now I am catching up on the Kingsglaive episode because I finally saw the film!

First of all, let me say I really enjoyed the movie, despite recognizing its flaws.  Thoughts:

- Yeah, what the heck WERE these "demon" things?  Why does the Empire have them?  It was cool to see them, they were pretty epic and amazing.  But they definitely could have used some explanation.  For Judge Glaucoma (he's totally a Judge) you can mentally fill-in a "Magitek" hand-wave explanation, but not those giant monsters.  They're just there.

- Props for using/inventing the term "emboobened", @Taelus 

- Why DOES Movie Luna look so different from Game Luna??  Whose idea was that?

- I might donate a buck or two to hear @Dice do a Libertus impersonation again (who really was the worst voice in the movie by a mile).

- GAH!  Ardyn's big wing thing was dumb!  GRRR!  If XV were a PS1 game, that wing thing would be neat.  But Kingsglaive is a "realistic" CG movie set in a "realistic" world, so an actual person walking around with that wing stuck to him.... oy.  Dumb.

- I'll just go on record as saying I liked Luna in this movie and didn't really buy basically ANY of your criticisms about how she is portrayed/written.  Loved the Crowe story arc as well, it genuinely touched my heart.
The fact that "Stella" was even brought up at all made me roll my eyes so hard.

- Literally none of you pronounced "malboro" correctly. No shame, just hilarious!  Stupid name for a monster. :D

- Advent Children Complete is a lot of fun, and I enjoy it, despite it being.... bad.  But Spirits Within has almost nothing of value to offer in the plot.

- Thanks for (ANOTHER!) great podcast guys, even though I am like 5 months late on this.  Glad there was a good mix of positivity in amongst the criticisms, although I thought the whole thing could have stood to be a tad less cynical.  You guys do great, great work and it's often thankless, so let me say again how much I appreciate this podcast.
Current RPG - Final Fantasy XV

Ragnarok1051

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 24, 2017, 09:50:15 PM »
Anyone else having trouble with the podcast? Part 2 of Chrono Trigger won't upload for me.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 25, 2017, 01:28:03 PM »
The Chrono Trigger part 2 episode isn't showing up on my podcast app. I just use the podcast app on my iPhone.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #695 on: March 25, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
I made a mistake when I tried to upload it on Thursday.  I'll fix it and have it up within an hour or two. 

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 25, 2017, 06:10:26 PM »
Dope! It is all good now.

Ragnarok1051

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 25, 2017, 09:30:18 PM »
All good. Thanks!

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: Today at 12:33:13 AM »
My party was Crono, Lucca, Robo or Ayla. I played it a few years ago on my DS when I caught Bestbuy slipping with their clearance stickers. Best $15 Iv ever spent on anything.

I loved that game and was genuinely surprised by how it surpassed the absurd hype and acclaim that it gets from literally everyone. No game is perfect but Chrono Trigger is without a doubt the best game ever made. I of course have not played every game ever released but it was so well constructed and polished how could it not be considered so?

But still I cant find it in me to replay any jrpg. Even if its the best thing I've ever played. I've come to the conclusion that the time and effort in reinvesting in one only deludes my initial enjoyment of exploring, mysteries, character development, plot twists, etc. I find that my main enjoyment from jrpg's come from characters, plot, and the lore. If I know everything the sense of adventure is completely ruined. Even when enticed with multiple or alternate endings I still feel that my urge for a replay is not there. That sense of magic and wonder is just somewhat gone.

Does anyone else feel like this? Maybe I could replay one a decade later when my memory of the game starts to become murky.