Author Topic: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread  (Read 50992 times)

thetrueelec

• View Profile
Re: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« Reply #675 on: November 03, 2016, 12:24:30 AM »
So I've been playing a little bit of Child of Light to be able to listen to the podcast but just so I know what chapters does the first part cover?

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #676 on: November 03, 2016, 02:00:05 AM »
First six chapters. Chapter 6 is the one where Robert joins you.

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 02, 2016, 02:33:31 PM »
Just listened to the confessional episode, great stuff. Always fun to see what other people have missed that others consider essential.

Re: Suikoden II

Not absolutely necessary that you play the first one, it helps but despite loving the series I always felt Suiko I felt like an archaic game. The major Suiko fan in me says play it, but the pragmatist in me says skip it, unless you are a completionist. The stories are mostly focused on the region of the world they take place in (think Trails in the Sky/Trails of Cold Steel) and are self contained aside from character back story or major events - of which there is a lot cross over in 1-3.

I played the games out of order back in the day 2/3/1 and never really felt I missed too much.

There are 3 different combat systems, your everyday RPG turnbased combat, one vs one fights between characters which use a rock/paper/scissors type system, and the field tactical battles which is sort of like Fire Emblem as you guys mentioned.

A lot of people hate Suikoden 4 (I mean a lot) due to it's plodding nature and sparse environments but I felt the story was compelling enough. 5 is an attempt to re-capture the glory of 2.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 02, 2016, 03:02:20 PM »
Suikoden V is the only one I played and, while I never completed it, it had a ton of potential and a lot to like.
Current RPG - Pokemon Sun, Atelier Rorona, Final Fantasy III, Tales of Graces f

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 02, 2016, 03:11:21 PM »
There are also a couple spin offs:
Suikoden Tactics (ties in directly with Suiko 4, decent enough tactical RPG, if a bit on the easy side).
Suikogaiden - featuring Nash. I think there were two of these games, one of which was fan-translated.
Suikoden Tierkries - For the DS. Never did play this as I didn't want alt. dimension Suikoden.
Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki - PSP game that never made it stateside.

Suikoden and tactics games make so much sense, it's somewhat surprising they only released the one game in the tactics vein.

Towns Car Marty

• RPGFan Editor
  • for  play  in  town  &  car
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #680 on: December 02, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »
I think 5 is real good, but those first two Suikoden games will always be my favorites.