Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2015, 08:38:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
367268 Posts in 14838 Topics by 2311 Members
Latest Member: deegeejay
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Print
Author Topic: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread  (Read 15434 times)
Towns Car Marty
Contributing Editor

Frog Enthusiast, Ridiculous

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #360 on: Today at 02:49:53 AM »

Sakiguchi seems more interested in surfing than high fantasy at the moment.

I loved Lost Odyssey at the time. I'd had my 360 for about a year and a half when it came out, and I'd been hit with a double-dose of mediocrity in Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata. LO felt like the first "real" JRPG of that generation, and it was nice to see some of the Shadow Hearts team back in work. I didn't end up beating it, because I thought the "Missile Command but with five hard boss battles" sequence was horrible. I'd pick it up again, but after 7 years I think I'd have to start from scratch.

On the topic of this month's game Terranigma, I have a sad story about that game! My mom and I emigrated to England in 1996, and a few months down the line I saw Terranigma in a game shop. I thought I was pretty up-to-date on the latest RPGs, but I'd never heard of it before. The box stated it was Illusion of Gaia's sequel, and I loved that game, so I begged my mom and got the game for Christmas with this weird Euro adapter with two cartridge slots on it.

Aaaand the Euro adapter wouldn't work. You'd power on the machine, and whether it had a game in it or not, it just showed the adapter's logo in outer space.

We took it back to the store, they told us we had to have an American game in the extra cartridge slot to play Terranigma. We tried that, it didn't work either. We took it back again and it was the only adapter they had.

I was going back to the states to see my dad over the holidays, so I took some money with me thinking "hey, it's an Enix game, I'll pick it up in America." NOPE! I think my dad must have driven us to about 5 different game stores before we gave up. That's when I looked on the web and saw it wasn't released there.

Eventually, a friend of mine brought his Euro SNES over and we played through most of the game together. But man. Such heartbreak. That was a very isolated instance of the UK getting a JRPG that the US didn't.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: