Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2016, 09:46:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
248434 Posts in 7447 Topics by 2390 Members
Latest Member: maingauche
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] Print
Author Topic: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread  (Read 44407 times)
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #630 on: September 12, 2016, 05:25:53 PM »

Curious. Beyond the few odd stages, I breezed right through my first playthrough without much trouble and I've read a lot that mirrors that sentiment.

divingfalcons
Honorary Blue Rogue
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #631 on: September 12, 2016, 05:50:36 PM »

There's only two chapters, maybe three, that really caught me off guard. You'll hear about those on the podcast! But yes, the more you play, the easier it gets. You can get away with trial and error tactics as opposed to genuine thought too, but you can choose not to save each round and make it deliberately harder.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #632 on: September 12, 2016, 07:46:18 PM »

There's only two chapters, maybe three, that really caught me off guard. You'll hear about those on the podcast! But yes, the more you play, the easier it gets. You can get away with trial and error tactics as opposed to genuine thought too, but you can choose not to save each round and make it deliberately harder.

Also not Scout Rushing everything.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #633 on: September 13, 2016, 11:05:49 AM »

But... doesn't it feel like trying a map and then developing a strategy is very rewarding?  I kinda like figuring out how to beat a map in the fewest number of turns.  Especially when I get a new Skirmish.  There are all kinds of interesting ways to beat some maps.  Like using a Sniper to take out the Heavy Tank in the final base of Naggiar Plains.  I wouldn't normally think to do that, but just kind of stumbled into it.  Sure, it takes 6 CP, but I still think it's more efficient than trying to get a Lancer through the minefield in the trench behind the base.

Last night I did Selvaria's Last Stand.  In my first attempt, I ran Scout Juno into a Heavy Gatling and she died.  I had no contingency for that, so I reloaded.  Knowing that one extra bit of info (that there was a Heavy Gatling in that area) helped me develop a plan.  So, in my second attempt, I changed a few things up, Juno still died, then Lancer Rosina died after rescuing her but I pressed on and STILL beat Selvaria in 5 turns and got the A Rank.  Felt like I earned it, and it felt good.

That being said, when I did the "Lure The Marmota" mission, I complete forgot the mission's "gimmick" entirely and did it all wrong, so I got a D Rank (my first).  Still beat it on the first attempt, though.

Current RPG - Valkyria Chronicles
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 13, 2016, 12:33:25 PM »

That's how I like to play those games too, Arvis.  Especially if I know that there is a way to break the game or make it super easy, I try to avoid that way, or even learning the specifics of what that way is.  Which is not to say that I think other people are "playing it wrong" - it could be said that I am!  It's just to say that you're not alone in thinking there's still fun to be had there.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
divingfalcons
Honorary Blue Rogue
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #635 on: September 13, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »

Actually, one of the biggest reasons I loved Valkyria Chronicles was because you could try over and over again without being penalised. But what I meant was you could play the game however you want. I totally agree the experimenting is one of the biggest draws.

Rook

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: September 14, 2016, 12:13:29 PM »

I started playing Valkyria Chronicles myself. I'm on Chapter 5. I always knew I would like it, but wow, it's fantastic. And still looks beautiful.

I can only play a mission at a time, though. All that thinking gets exhausting, heh.

Actually, one of the biggest reasons I loved Valkyria Chronicles was because you could try over and over again without being penalised. But what I meant was you could play the game however you want. I totally agree the experimenting is one of the biggest draws.

My favorite game of the PS3 era. It still looks so damn good. Also Chapter 6 is crazy hard however its an extremely fun, intense and fair hard. I wish Fire Emblem used the Valkyrie Profile option of having a couple turns to get your dead off the battlefield. It prevents cheap deaths to some of your favorite characters but also prevents you from having one overpowered player rush ahead into the fray (unless you want to do the Alicia rush thing which just seems cheap and not fun).

What's funny is that i never used any of Welkin's command bonuses because I didn't want to lose 2 turns until like chapter 17. I never knew how much a difference they made.
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #637 on: September 14, 2016, 02:30:38 PM »

I thought that same way about Orders the first time I played it, back in the day.  But now, Orders are changing everything about how I play most maps.

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #638 on: September 20, 2016, 03:58:35 PM »

Finally listening to the first VC episode. Thoughts:

- You're so right about the voice acting here.  It's so fantastic.  Colleen O'Shaughnessy as Alicia Melchiott is especially impressive.  She brings an incredible charm to the role.

- Definitely never ran into any "invisible walls", ever.  Back in 08, or now.

- Leveling up your classes makes a HUGE difference, especially with the Potentials.  Don't know what you guys are talking about.  Take a max level unit and bring them into one of the early Skirmishes to see what I mean.

Loved the podcast, guys, really looking forward to part 2.

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #639 on: September 20, 2016, 04:36:47 PM »

- Leveling up your classes makes a HUGE difference, especially with the Potentials.  Don't know what you guys are talking about.  Take a max level unit and bring them into one of the early Skirmishes to see what I mean.

On New Game+ the part where you have to go around the soldiers and tanks with Welkin right at the beginning becomes run through all of them and take almost zero damage.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: September 24, 2016, 12:02:00 AM »

A few Retro Encounter updates:

- The second Valkyria Chronicles episode is up as of a few days ago!  The first one got a very positive response, and I hope you all enjoy part 2 as well.  

- Next week is the release of Retro Encounter's 50th episode (!!!).  Five panelists have a free-form discussion of the first year-and-a-half of Retro, and each of them pitches a game to be the first Retro Encounter game of 2017.  A public poll of those five games will go up after the episode is posted, on Wednesday.  The five games debuted on five different systems, with the oldest released in 1994 and the newest released in 2014.  Those are the only hints you get.  

- After Episode 50, the Retro Encounter team plays the teenage-murder visual-novel shooting-gallery cult-hit Danganronpa.  The first episode will air in the first week of October, with the second either one or two weeks after (depending on scheduling).  We've already made the first episode, but the second one has yet to be recorded - if you want to ask any questions directly to us, post them here or send them to retro@rpgfan.com and we'll answer them in the second Danganronpa episode.  

So that's all.  TL;DR: Valkyria, Danganronpa, 50 episodes, more to come.  Please look forward to it.  

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: Today at 02:22:19 PM »

I hope Suikoden 2 gets picked in the poll. I just wanna hear people  talk about the best RPG ever made. There's just so much to say about it!

divingfalcons
Honorary Blue Rogue
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #642 on: Today at 04:29:21 PM »

In case people don't go through the main page, our 50th episode gives you the chance to vote for our first game in 2017, and the poll is right here.

I'm glad we're not deciding this one, because I can't pick between these.

Bring back Shadow Hearts

Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: Today at 04:53:20 PM »

My vote just pulled Radiant Historia level with Suikoden 2.  I'm surprised it's that competitive, tbh.

thetrueelec

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: Today at 06:19:03 PM »

I voted for Divinity because it's the only game on the list I've got but honestly I'd prefer an episode on Borderlands 2 than any of them.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: