Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 153 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 63665 times)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1050 on: May 15, 2014, 11:05:05 PM »

More Path of Radiance.  A few new pre-promotes joined, but I don't think I need to use any of them.  Geoffery is probably the best of them (Tauroneo, Bastian, Lucia, Geoffery, and Largo).  For awhile I was struggling keeping Reyson alive during the map where Lucia and Bastian join, but then I had an epiphany: skip using Reyson for this chapter.  Worked like a charm. 

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1051 on: May 15, 2014, 11:28:30 PM »

Just destroyed the boss battle at Shinobazu Pond in SMT IV, can't figure out if I am that leveled up, that good due to playing Nocturne soooo much or if the game simply isn't as hard as I was led to believe. Either way I love this game, brings back so many great memories of Nocturne

Its not nearly as hard as it was with Minotaur/Medusa. Really, after that hump you'll start coming into enough resources and options in general to trounce anybody short of guys you should not be fighting for hours from now, provided you know what you're doing.

Anyways, I managed to come into an Xbox 360 controller with a USB plug recently, and between that and finishing up my no grind Ephraim Hard Mode run, I believe the time to resume my Hugo Nightmare run on Ys Origins is nigh. And on that note, and coming from right outside the second boss fight's chamber, I'm now currently up to the second half of the Water level (of course, just as I've gotten used to Hugo's awkward Wind magic, I come into his even awkwarder Thunder magic). Of course, my laptop was chugging during the third boss fight (which caused an unfortunate amount of deaths).

For a second, I read Hugo's House of Horrors.

OMG Ultra, I fucking loved that game back in the day. I totally forgot about it until now too.

Nice to know someone out there loved the game as much as I did. haha good old classic adventuring gaming.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1052 on: May 16, 2014, 02:57:44 AM »

I feel like an idiot as it took your post to catch the reference he was making.

More Path of Radiance.  A few new pre-promotes joined, but I don't think I need to use any of them.  Geoffery is probably the best of them (Tauroneo, Bastian, Lucia, Geoffery, and Largo).  For awhile I was struggling keeping Reyson alive during the map where Lucia and Bastian join, but then I had an epiphany: skip using Reyson for this chapter.  Worked like a charm.  

Yeah, of the four Geoffery is the most useful due to Paragon, a Brave Lance, and being a Paladin. Also you forgot to mention Haar and Ranulf in that recruitment spree.

Anyways, unfortunately for Haar, this is FE9 and not FE10 so you don't get to see why he has his fan nickname Captain Haar Solo yet, in this game he's the other Wyvern Lord but unlike Jill, he's slow as dirt at base, but he does come with Guard, a Brave Axe, and a flying mount which are always good, but this is pretty much the late game here so he doesn't really have a lot of time to shine (though he makes up for it in spades in FE10; seriously, had his final Spd cap in that game been even a point or two higher, he'd be rivaling Seth and Sigrud for best character in the series; but then again, what do you expect when you give a guy an overpowered class, remove virtually every weakness balancing said class, give the guy fantastic stats and growths in said class, and then give him most of the game to stomp around in where availability is king, including an endgame stage to practically solo). Ranulf is the other non-Ulki/Reyson/Dragon/Laguz General that's worth using in the game, namely because he's Lethe+ and because he can Support with Ike for a hefty +7.5 Avoid per level, of course if Lethe has been turning out you might as well keep using her instead. Bastian is practically a joke character in this game since he's a Wind Sage with Knives, mediocre bases (seriously, Calill has him beat in virtually every important stat at base save for Str, which he doesn't need because lolwindmagic, and Def), and a really crappy skill (seriously? Corrode? a skill that depletes weapon uses that actually hit the guy? weapon uses you'd rather have for yourself if it drops or you can steal it? and all this if you even proc the skill? lolololol, it's not like it'd even work on the weapons you'd actually want to corrode), his one redeeming feature is that he's the only unit in the game that can Support Volke (and its not even worth it). Lucia is the last of the game's Swordmasters, but whereas the other three potential SMs correlate to Swordfighters from FE4 (Mia to Larcei, Zihark to Ulster, Stefan to Shanan), Lucia correlates more to FE7's Karla rather than the remaining FE4 SM Ayra (maybe more like FE4's Roddelbad) as outside of Luck, Stefan has her bases beat on every level with four extra levels of growing room and nine extra chapters of availability, and of the four, her base skill is the lame Nihil substitute Parity (Nihil, accept no substitutes) which defeats the one thing she has going for her, her Earth Affinity (she also has lolfemaleswordmastercaps but these don't matter to her at all due to A) having bases so low and a default level so high that not even her good growth rates can hope to reach them and B) gets royally screwed over for availability in FE10 (she has one chapter in which she's a Jagan, the two Part four Crimea chapters where the crutches start showing up (including Stefan again), and the finale which everyone wants a part of) which makes her dead last in terms of people needing their transfer bonus (hell even Sothe has more of a reason to go for a transfer bonus than her, and he gets almost nothing for his)). Geoffery who, as I mentioned before, has decent bases, good growths, a mount, Paragon, and a free Brave Lance, no Axes though. And finally Largo, who's the second to last Beorc who joins in the game (and fourth from last in general) and is basically a Boyd substitute if you like Axe men with high Crit rates and high Str to wreck face with, moreover, if he hits level 20 he can pass on his transfer bonuses (i.e. HP, Str, Skl, and maybe Spd) to Calill who'll appreciate the bonuses as she can focus more on hitting her Mag cap instead (because he's the only FE9 character to straight up bow out of playability in FE10).

Anyways, now is the time to focus on making sure Ike is well leveled for the next bit. He'll want to have 50+ HP, 26 Skl, to have hit his Str, Spd, and Def caps, and to have a sister who can hold her own against generics and can ORKO Bishops by the end of Chapter 27. Don't be afraid to Angelic Robe him either since the more HP he has for that part, the better (and Miracle plus all your Ashera Icons might not hurt either since it might help (emphasis on 'might') if Luna rears its ugly head and nobody's hitting their Luck cap anyways).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1053 on: May 16, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »

Still chugging along in Venetica. Its both terrible and fun at the same time. I think its an expectations thing, I keep expecting it to be worse than it actually is and as a result I'm enjoying it.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1054 on: May 16, 2014, 11:32:17 AM »

Atelier Meruru Plus. Getting set to dive into Drakengard 3 come next week.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1055 on: May 16, 2014, 02:30:59 PM »

More Fire Emblem stuff
Yeah, I forgot those two.  Whoops.  I haven't really been using Laguz at all for several chapters; I used Lethe a bit at the beginning but right now she's level 7 and going nowhere.  I've been using Stefan sporadically since his starting stats are insane, but I dunno if I'll continue using him; his dodge % isn't great thanks to his low Luck, but hopefully me bringing his Soren support up to B will help. 

Anyhow, the chapter I'm at right now lets me use something like 18-20 characters, so I might have to throw Silver equipment on those pre-promotes and see what happens.  I think I'm probably near-ish to the end of the game.  I imagine I'll beat it this weekend. 

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1056 on: May 16, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »

More Fire Emblem stuff
Yeah, I forgot those two.  Whoops.  I haven't really been using Laguz at all for several chapters; I used Lethe a bit at the beginning but right now she's level 7 and going nowhere.  I've been using Stefan sporadically since his starting stats are insane, but I dunno if I'll continue using him; his dodge % isn't great thanks to his low Luck, but hopefully me bringing his Soren support up to B will help. 

Anyhow, the chapter I'm at right now lets me use something like 18-20 characters, so I might have to throw Silver equipment on those pre-promotes and see what happens.  I think I'm probably near-ish to the end of the game.  I imagine I'll beat it this weekend. 

That sounds like Chapter 26, which is the game's big showdown stage (see also: FE1's Chapter 21, FE3 Book 2's Chapter 19/21, FE5's Chapter 22, FE6's Chapter 21, FE7's Chapter 30/32, FE8's Chapter 20, all of FE10's endgame chapters, and FE:Awakening's Chapter 24). That said, the game only has 29 Chapters (not including the fact that Chapter 17 was split into a four part slog) so you've more or less hit the start of the endgame. And yeah, you've pretty much touched upon the one thing I really didn't care for in this game, the implementation of the Laguz in this game was pretty bad since they're useless for about 2/3rds of the time they're around unless you nerf the hell out of them with the Demi Band and even then it doesn't really work on the Laguz you'd want transformed the most (i.e Reyson), you're just better off sticking to either all Beroc or just one Laguz to Laguz Stone/Demi Band (or Laguz Stone/Knight's Ring if Reyson).

Anyways, Chapter 26 starts with the game's final Beorc recruit, Princess Elinica, joining you, and since you saved all three of her retainers, you get her Prf Sword Amiti which wishes it was nearly as good as Olwen's Holy Sword (that fucker was just plain ridiculous) but is little more than a glorified Brave Sword in this game (it gets better in FE10 but Elinica's availability is still garbage plus FE10's Staff shenanigans), and speaking of, her biggest drawback is of course her lousy availability as she comes in way too underleveled to really be useful in combat and you're about to start running into that Mantle bullshit that pretty much regulates almost the entire game's cast into sideliners at best (thematically its pretty cool but it means that you can't have Rolf or Mist beat the final badguy to save Tellius, nor even guys like Stefan or Titania) so raising her to fight is kind of a waste of time, she can still Staff bot like a champ though thanks to being the third and final default healer the game gives you (and having the ranks to Physic immediately), she also completes the game's Pegasus Triangle Attack for what little its worth. I feel like she would've been a hell of a lot better in this game if she had pulled off a transformation from a weakling Princess into something ridiculous similar to the one Raquesis and Leif pulled in FE4, especially since you can almost kinda see the game setting it up with her late game promotion from useless NPC to Staffbot PC.

Anyways, what's your Ike and Mist looking like right now?

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1057 on: May 16, 2014, 04:12:55 PM »

Started up Child of Light last night. Beautiful game, as expected. Music is great, too. It's been a LONG time since I've played a turn-based rpg so it's going to take a little time to get back in the groove.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1058 on: May 16, 2014, 04:48:14 PM »

Idiot...me that is...spent an hour in Ueno trying to find where the hell to take Peallaidh's fucking head...dammit, oh well, level up upon level up upon level up

Everything's Eventual
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1059 on: May 16, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »

I finally finished Bastion after nickel and diming it 1 shard and core at time for the last few weeks. Unfortunately I did so the other day while retarded tired (post 30 some hours without food or sleep). So while I enjoyed the ending, I think I may have been too delirious to understand the choices I was making.

Bastion was another example of short-winded and easy to digest bliss. The pick up and play ease of this game was just awesome. I would strongly to suggest this title to anyone with a busy schedule. There were days I literally couldn't find the time to play more than 20 minutes and still felt accomplished.

The other neat part of this beautiful little package was that I really could find no blaring fault with it. Music, Art direction, Gameplay and even the light story elements were all awesome and a perfect fit.

Bastion may not have been epic but very rarely can I say I feel a title did   everything right. In Bastion's case however, I can at the very least, say it did nothing wrong.

I need to discover more games like this.

FINAL THOUGHTS
*Dualing Pistols + War Machete = best gameplay/fun factor (for me)
* Bastion wins my newly created, BEST NARRATION IN A GAME EVER award.
*Never one to replay games, I am HIGHLY tempted to have another go at Bastion. If for no other reason than to see the effect alternate choices could have made on the ending. Couple the appeal of replay with the length of the journey and I can easily see myself going back and giving this another run. A true rarity for this Klyde.

Between finishing this and Child of Light this week, I feel ready for Drakengard 3! This will be my very first Drakengard experience. I am pumped to have at something with a bit more serious a tone then what I've been indulging for quite a while.

Started up Child of Light last night. Beautiful game, as expected. Music is great, too. It's been a LONG time since I've played a turn-based rpg so it's going to take a little time to get back in the groove.

What is real cool about Child of Light is how variable the difficulty and pace of battles can be. I got my feet wet with Normal setting/battle speed 3 and the second I found myself daydreaming and spamming attack I went and upped it to hard and battle speed 4. Totally kept me engaged and on my toes right up on through the finale!

I know you always mention how you have a hard time finding opportunities for long gaming sessions Grim, I sympathize with you. In that respect I think you'll find CoL very pleasing. Its another fine example (like Bastion) where I was able to feel accomplished with an hour or two of game time.

Now I suppose it is back to some atelier E&L before RETRO GAMING WEEKEND COMMENCES!!! Tee-hee... Terranigma here I come!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1060 on: May 16, 2014, 05:17:12 PM »

Ike's a beast.  Level 19/13.  STR, Skill, and Speed are maxed.  HP's at 48, and Def is at 23.  Luck and Res are both 14.  I feel very confident about this Ike, and (checks a wiki) I'm pretty sure he can grab another level or two for an extra point of Def. 

I've been told to work on Mist since before starting this game (by Aeolus and a few others), so she's been my number one recipient of BEXP.  Some amount of soft resetting / manipulation there.  Her MAG is at 24, Skill is 20, Speed and Luck are both 25, Def is 11, and Res is 22.  A-rank in staff, with a fresh, unused Physic on top of the one she has equipped now.  I don't know exactly how powerful the BK is in this upcoming duel, but I think these two are prepared. 

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1061 on: May 16, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »

Okay, Witch and the Hundred Knight just keeps getting stranger. So yes, once you pass level 65, the enemies in Chapter 12 start to level up with the Hundred Knight.... until you hit level 68, then they just stay at level 68. So the enemies level up with the Hundred Knight from lvl.65 - lvl. 68. Ok, then.

Still stuck on some of the bosses, but the game is getting a tad easier now that I am level 75 and have two Rank XII Shrouds.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1062 on: May 16, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »

Working on Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 ReMIX- and am on Kingdom Hearts Final Mix at Halloween Town.

Also working on Suikoden IV where I've managed to get past the last ship battle but died at the boss at the top of Fort El-Eal, so I leveled up the alternate party I had to use for said trek through the fort and boss.

Also have Dragon's Crown for Vita but haven't started it yet.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1063 on: May 17, 2014, 12:43:21 AM »

GTA: SA - I was going to talk about how the game's portrayal of morality is interesting in a meta sense, because by real world logic CJ isn't a terribly moral person, but by video game logic, he's not really doing anything worse than any other designated video game here does.

I WAS going to talk about this.

But then I discovered that pants were not obligatory in the game.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1064 on: May 17, 2014, 12:46:15 AM »

Ike's a beast.  Level 19/13.  STR, Skill, and Speed are maxed.  HP's at 48, and Def is at 23.  Luck and Res are both 14.  I feel very confident about this Ike, and (checks a wiki) I'm pretty sure he can grab another level or two for an extra point of Def.  

I've been told to work on Mist since before starting this game (by Aeolus and a few others), so she's been my number one recipient of BEXP.  Some amount of soft resetting / manipulation there.  Her MAG is at 24, Skill is 20, Speed and Luck are both 25, Def is 11, and Res is 22.  A-rank in staff, with a fresh, unused Physic on top of the one she has equipped now.  I don't know exactly how powerful the BK is in this upcoming duel, but I think these two are prepared.  

There's a reason why I've been emphasizing that Mist also works on her Sword rank, and that's because the Black Knight will be bringing reinforcements to the table, including and especially Bishops (Halberdiers are the other guys who show up but they're not that dangerous to Ike), who'll be doing everything in their power to heal him up. Mist won't be going near the BK in this fight because the Burger King has eyes only on Ike and Mist can't do shit to him anyways. Her real goal for the fight is to give Ike as many chances to proc Aether as possible. If she isn't there or has to run away because she can't deal with the Halberdiers, it falls to Ike to spend his turn eliminating Bishops and healing up with Elixirs instead of hammering away at the Brick Shithouse, and you won't have a lot of turns to spend in total (about four or five really before time is up and you are forced to retreat and lose the match).

And yeah, Ike really needs to land the Luna part of his Aether to really have a chance of beating BK as he's sporting 60 HP, 35 Def, 30 Str and Skl, 27 Spd, 11 Luk, the Luna and Renewal Skills (and Mantle, though it doesn't list it), and Alondite which is a 1-2 ranged 18 Mt Sword with 80 Hit and 5 Crit (not that the last number matters) and the ability to negate critical hits (though Wrath can bypass this). With capped Str, Skl, Spd, and Def, Ike will be doing 9 HP of damage, at either 1 to 2 range, 78-88% chance of hitting, and a 27% chance of procing two hits that'll deal 9 HP and 44 HP worth of damage while healing 9 HP with the first hit assuming he doesn't miss with said attacks with no chance to double or be doubled beyond Aether no chance of critting due to the properties of Alondite and 6 HP healed back per turn, and he will take 19 HP of damage, from either 1 to 2 range, with an 76-86% chance of getting hit, no chance of being crit, and a 30% of being straight up ended by a Luna proc per attack since it will do 48 HP worth of damage (which is why I also suggested putting on the ritz-y Angelic Robe).

Edit: Upon double checking, you actually do get the Resolve Scroll in time for the Black Knight fight which makes fighting him a lot easier since Ike's Str, Skl, and Spd will increase by half again their current totals (instead of having 26 Str, 27 Skl, and 28 Spd, Ike will effectively have 39 Str, 40 Skl, and 42 Spd) when brought down to half health or less which means he'll be able to inflict 22 HP per attack, with over 100% chance to hit, and can easily double the Black Knight who will now have 52-62% chance of hitting him per round. Add Wrath and Ike will have anywhere from 12% (13% if he's standing next to Mist) to 37% (40% if standing next to Mist) chance to crit depending on how much can bypass Alondite's crit negation trait.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:25:56 AM by Aeolus » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 153 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: