Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1958480 times)

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »
I actually really enjoyed FFXII. I recall playing it in the vicinity of 120 hours. It's the last Final Fantasy I played to completion. The story was nonsense, but the world was great. I actually really liked the gambit system once I got the hang of it.
I'm with Elegance on the License board, though. I never like the idea of every character being able to do the same things. Takes away some of the individualism.

Zelda: ALBW - I'm still having a hard time finding some of the dungeons, which is annoying. I was in some sort of fire dungeon, then died. I found my way into the Skull Woods dungeon, and am there now. F those goddamn hands!

Totally agree that the FFXII world was great. I love Ivalice in that and the tactics games.

Ugh those hands! I hate them too! When I was a kid playing Zelda they literally scared the shit out of me. I would have to stop playing because I would get so scared of them. Oh memories. Even now when I played A Link Between Worlds I had flashbacks haha.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »
The only thing I didn't like about XII was the lack of cutscenes (same with XIII).  Also, I don't like full customization.  I would have preferred the licence board to be different for each character, rather than them all having the potential to be the same.

Just started chapter 3 in Professor Layton.

You really mean lack of cutscenes?
Yes, there's a lot in the beginning and end, but the middle is like 95% gameplay.  It's not really a bad thing, I just would have preferred a better balance.

For XIII, I always laugh when people complain about the game being too cutscene-heavy because chances are they only played the first couple of hours.  There's a ton in the beginning, but eventually you're just going from location to location with maybe a one minute cutscene introducing it.

In FF XII I will have to agree, in regards to FF XIII I thought it was fine, it's a 50-60 hour game with 9 hours worth of cutscenes. That seems like a normal ratio for JRPGs with Xenosaga(where 1/3 of EP 1 and 2 is cutscenes and 1/4 of Episode 2 is cutscenes) being the exception. I love cutscenes too and I wouldnt mind if there were more but I thought it was fine in XIII.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:16:12 PM by Holykael1 »

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
The only thing I didn't like about XII was the lack of cutscenes (same with XIII).  Also, I don't like full customization.  I would have preferred the licence board to be different for each character, rather than them all having the potential to be the same.

Yes, there's a lot in the beginning and end, but the middle is like 95% gameplay.  It's not really a bad thing, I just would have preferred a better balance.

For XIII, I always laugh when people complain about the game being too cutscene-heavy because chances are they only played the first couple of hours.  There's a ton in the beginning, but eventually you're just going from location to location with maybe a one minute cutscene introducing it.

In FF XII I will have to agree, in regards to FF XIII I thought it was fine, it's a 50-60 hour game with 9 hours worth of cutscenes. That seems like a normal ratio for JRPGs with Xenosaga(where 1/3 of EP 1 and 2 is cutscenes and 1/4 of Episode 2 is cutscenes) being the exception. I love cutscenes too and I wouldnt mind if there were more but I thought it was fine in XIII.
It's not really the length, it's where they're placed.  A huge chunk for XIII is towards the first third of the game.  Sorry, I should have said the pacing of the cutscenes rather than a lack thereof.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »

It's not really the length, it's where they're placed.  A huge chunk for XIII is towards the first third of the game.  Sorry, I should have said the pacing of the cutscenes rather than a lack thereof.

Ah that makes more sense!
10 hours into LR, making huge progress. Im nearly done with 2 of the main quests, have done about 6 more sidequests and a few canvas challenges, Im on day 3, havent gone to the Wild Lands or Dead Dunes yet but Ive been clearing the other 2 cities. Nearing Day 4 and I will begin my exploration of said unexplored lands.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:27:40 PM by Holykael1 »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2014, 05:39:28 PM »
Having a strangely mixed experience with FF IV The After Years.

Started out strong. Great (difficult) and engaging gameplay. Ceodores chapter got me into things FAST.

Then Rydia's chapter.... Tough as nails. Loved it. Great cliffhanger at the end.

Yangs Chapter.... I was pretty excited to get to Yang. I appreciate his character, albeit simple and one dimensional. He is fleshed out nicely as both father and Monk Monarch, but that is about all the good I can say about his chapter.... I don't think I did an ounce of thinking the whole time. Spammed attack for 4 hours and muddled my way through an uninspiring new dungeon at the end. Utterly boring.

Now, halfway through Paloms chapter I feel like the difficulty is non-existent....

I know this has to get harder again, and I really can't wait. The last few hours have been a SNORE FEST in contrast to the strong start.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2014, 06:26:19 PM »
9 AM on Day 11 in Lightning Returns. Stumbled upon Aeronite while hunting Lizards in the desert, and took him on for shits and giggles. It... did not go well. Probably not going to bother with him unless I do a second playthrough. So back to hunting lizards. Glad I didn't kill too many Cactuars early on since they're dropping 10,000gil each now.

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2014, 02:56:22 PM »
Giving up on the horrendous comminity servers on Rust. Every single server is run by an asshole it seems. May try one of the official servers but gonna try 7 Days to Die for now.
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »
Well, being off the last two days and not having a computer has led to a ridiculous long marathon session of Lost Odyssey, tis a fun little game, really has a lot of unfulfilled potential I feel.
Everything's Eventual

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2014, 06:45:23 AM »
So been playing Danganronpa. Beat it a couple nights ago. I was accidently spoiled on the identity of the mastermind the night before that, but I was okay with that since it would have taken me a while to figure out what the heck I was supposed to be looking for in the endless debate sequence where you identify the mastermind. Knowing the identity it wasn't too hard to see the chain of reasoning that would lead to the conclusion, but I know I just would have mentally skipped over that character when trying to figure it out if I didn't know their identity ahead of time. Currently working on platinumming the game by first completing school reports then on to everything else that needs to be done!

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2014, 08:48:58 AM »
^
Awesome! DanganRonpa Spoilers!!!
Code: [Select]
I actually figured it out because we know Mukuro was dead and the only body that could belong to Mukuro was Junko's, all the other character's bodies were accounted for and we also knew that Mukuro didnt look like Junko so that was more of a reason to suspect her
Ok so yesterday played Lightning Returns all afternoon and then until 5 AM(you knoiw 10-12 hours, no big deal..), needless to say Im completely addicted to it. Probably going to finish it today, the boss in the wild lands was too strong so I decided to go and start the Dead Dunes and do those main quests first.
I like the story a lot and I am enjoying the characterization.. It's all backed up by strong motivations or plot points, the main quest of Yusnaan in particular was very strong storywise. The mainstream reviews state that the story is a joke or that it plays out like fanfiction which sounds ridiculous to me.. After the conclusion of FF XIII-2 and with the rich mythology established in both XIII and XIII-2, the story is actually a decent followup and it's very faithful and consistent to what was previously established, the characters are what they are and it MAKES SO MUCH Sense, just thinking about the circumstances that led to their atittudes..

The gameplay is awesome, it's snappy, quick and extremely dynamic, it's also so customizable and some of the battles can be quite challenging, I am really loving it, playing on normall and some of the battles are thrilling.

Already did like 18/20 Sidequests in Luxerion, 8-9/14 in Yusnaan and like 11-12/21 in the Wild Lands, going to explore the Dead dunes all day and hopefully finish the game. Im 22 hours in and at 9 am of the 7th day.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:08:59 AM by Holykael1 »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
Man, I got that game on Launch day and think I might be able to beat it by this coming Tuesday. Not a personal attack against you, I just keep looking at my backlog wondering how I'll ever get through it all and the answer is clearly "I won't." It's pretty depressing, especially since I don't have a whole lot going on with my life right now to get in the way.

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »
Playing Guacamelee. Not sure if I am having that much fun with it anymore. Boss fights are great but normal battles feel repetitive and the platforming element stopped being fun for me after being able to freely phase between worlds at will. Uppercut jumps are just horrible if you have to start a jumping combo with it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:02:57 AM by Darilon »

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
Man, I got that game on Launch day and think I might be able to beat it by this coming Tuesday. Not a personal attack against you, I just keep looking at my backlog wondering how I'll ever get through it all and the answer is clearly "I won't." It's pretty depressing, especially since I don't have a whole lot going on with my life right now to get in the way.

Im deliberately avoiding life atm, hence why Im playing so much. The game being extremely fun also adds to that of course but it's not the main reason, under normal circumstances I would probably play 2-4 hours a day.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
Finished up the final chapter of Sorcery Saga (not going to start the optional dungeon, 255 floors is just way too much!) and now I'm in an extremely good mood, because my Atelier weekend is almost there! I did the laundry and other chores (even my taxes!), completed most of the other articles I was working on, and I stocked up on snacks on other yummy foods (Atelier weekend will be fueled by bananas, tangerines, white chocolate cookies with raspberry, lasagne, almonds, various tea blends I wanted to try and some awesome bread from the local bakery, which I will eat with goat cheese, because goat cheese is best cheese). Once the game finishes downloading the marathon will begin <3

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2014, 02:24:11 PM »
On Day 12 of Lightning Returns. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get the 14th Day, but I did complete 60 of the 65 quests (technically 64, since in one case you have to decide between two quests) and all but a small handful of the Canvas of Prayer quests. I think there are 2-4 of those I won't have time (or motivation) to complete, but we'll see.