Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:14:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 155 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 65351 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1320 on: July 01, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »

I can't believe Sony just sent this out to die.

Do you know how many games Sony has just sent out to die?  That's kind of their M.O. for most of the games they publish...

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1321 on: July 01, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »

Bravely Default - I'm at the Command Center tower in Eternia, and I've pretty much managed to get away without switching classes for the game (I've mostly been using monk, white mage, black mage, and knight, although I've switched the last one to pirate recently).

Riviera: The Promised Land (PSP) - I'm somewhat pissed that I spent about an hour or so grinding to take on the boss of the submerged ruins and accidentally quit the game (since the quit screen for some reason randomly pops up on my PSP, which is a few years old), but I managed to get past the dungeon and have all available weapons mastered.

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (PS3) - About an hour in and I've learned the basics of battle, which should be interesting throughout the game. I can live without an explorable world map since they tend to be unrealistic anyway, although the main hero is sort of whiny.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1322 on: July 01, 2014, 08:18:08 PM »

I can't believe Sony just sent this out to die.

Do you know how many games Sony has just sent out to die?  That's kind of their M.O. for most of the games they publish...

Sad but true...painfully true...>_<

I told you guys to buy Puppeteer. Nobody wanted to listen.

I actually vaguely remember that, so I'll give you that. I kept thinking the same thing as Lard where I assumed the jumping would suck, especially after I heard it could be very hard and frustrating, but after playing it...it is immensely hard and frustrating. But it's not unforgiving - it has plentiful checkpoints, well-designed levels that ease you into new challenges (from what I've seen at least), and a good risk-versus-reward system involving the different heads. It's difficult, but I never really never find myself being angry at the game, only my lack of skill, and I generally always feel like if I try again I could probably do better. Unfortunately I only got to the second or third major level I guess? I played it at the tail-end of a major sale and haven't been able to convince myself to go back to it, but only because action games require patience that I don't always have...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1323 on: July 01, 2014, 10:36:11 PM »

Drakengard 3

= AKA "Why Am I Playing This?"
= In a sentence: Not very good... 
= ...But it'll keep you occupied.  It has the Cavia mystery and intrigue that makes it probably the only thing worth playing; the plot is dark, the music is excellent, and the characters are interesting in a screwed up way. 
= The gameplay manages to have less going for it than even NieR (mind you, NieR also didn't give a fuck about itself and copied about a dozen other titles to make "levels" interesting).
= Brr, Zero tries too hard to be tough.  Where was the writer's head when he made dialogue for Kainé?  I like the 'idea' of Zero's character, but I'm not sure I'm buying what she's selling.
= Dito, in a complete reverse of the norm, seems to be a victim of...
Code:
some sort of male rape/sex toying??
= Man, I miss the "pacts" the first title had; made using awesome mythical powers that much more interesting than HERE'S A DRAGON FOR YA.  Nevertheless; Zero and Mikhail make a cute "perfect strangers" team of moody bitch and sweet pet.
= I love the alt costumes.  Sue me: I think it's awesome when you can pay for a new costume AND a stats perk.... In which case, Caim's outfit (D1) helps me incur extra carnage.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1324 on: July 01, 2014, 11:13:31 PM »

I hear that Drakengard 3 gets really good after you've beaten it four times...

...sadly, that's not even a joke.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1325 on: July 02, 2014, 12:23:43 AM »

I hear that Drakengard 3 gets really good after you've beaten it four times...

...sadly, that's not even a joke.

This was a big mistake on the developer's parts: allowing misconception. Really, it's only beating the game ONCE, but they stick in the credits after each "Branch," so it feels like you're beating it multiple times. At the end of Branch A, you are really not done at all. It would be like beating 999 with the Submarine ending and going "Well, guess I'm done with this now."

I really enjoyed D3. It is repetitive, and it's incredibly rough in terms of gameplay, graphics, pacing (pretty much everything except music). That said, I found it quite compelling to play and I'm very glad I picked it up.

Dice: Zero develops as the game progresses. I felt the same after, hmm, maybe half of Branch A? You'll feel differently by the end. Well, I did anyway. And re: Dito - yes, he is, but he's also compeltely sadistic and messed up himself. If you're interested, the official site has novellas for each character. They're quite interesting.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:37:15 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1326 on: July 02, 2014, 12:30:28 AM »

The more I hear about that game, the more I think it's a game that should be Youtubed instead of played.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1327 on: July 02, 2014, 03:31:50 AM »

I'm planning on just getting a bunch of jewel cases and migrating all of my XBox/360 games into those, since apparently it's the cases that cause the cracking. Don't have this issue with PS2 or Wii cases. GC makes me nervous -- might get some jewel cases for those too. Anyway.

Akai Katana - Fun as hell. Enough so that I feel like importing some other Cave stuff now although previously mentioned disc cracking issues makes me concerned about going for the (considerably cheaper) used copies.

Radiant Silvergun - I can get up through the second boss without dying some of the time, and I'm getting better at that zig-zaggy bit, but I've not been able to do ANY damage to the third boss.

GTAV - I think I got this at Target on Monday. I don't really remember Monday. Anyway. I did two missions as Michael, took him to a therapy session, and then jumped into Franklin and just... walked around doing nothing in particular. Not even running or looking for a car -- just... normal, slow walking. For quite awhile. And then I stood in one place for five minutes and watched helicopters land at the airport.

Good lord does the story in this feel depressing though.

Sweet Lily Dreams - Did the Hypercube bit. The art direction gets kind of ??? in this game.

Screw it, people are boring and I got Triscuits.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1328 on: July 02, 2014, 04:23:38 AM »

I told you guys to buy Puppeteer. Nobody wanted to listen.

I actually bought it when it came out but I'm just getting around to it now. :/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1329 on: July 02, 2014, 04:27:41 AM »

@Mickeymac92: I have no idea what you're talking about. In what world Puppeteer is hard and frustrating?
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1330 on: July 02, 2014, 06:16:25 AM »

The more I hear about that game, the more I think it's a game that should be Youtubed instead of played.

To be fair, that's pretty much the series norm.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1331 on: July 02, 2014, 08:21:26 AM »

Well I actually enjoy the gameplay in Drakengard 3 more than Nier. When the multiple weapons start kicking in, the combat gets more varied by being able to switch between them on the fly and do cool combos. Dice my advice would be do not waste too much money on upgrading weapons because you'll want that money to buy weapons instead in order to unlock branch D.

Read the novellas on each character on the game's website, unfortunately the game doesn't make some of the intoners justice as far as characterization goes, they are short stories and very fun to read. Maybe read them as you go, as you meet the characters. Like read the intoner and the corresponding disciple of each chapter. Avoid Mikhail and One's until you finish Branch A.

And furthermore you are not really replaying the game after Branch A, the levels are recycled yes but they have different enemies and all new dialogue and story situations. Much more so than Ending B in Nier, no repeated story content whatsoever, furthermore they are only about 1-3 hours each, Branch B C and D that is.

I finished it yesterday, thought it was a pretty worthwhile game to play even if only for the characters, story, music and boss fights. It's not as good as Nier but it's very different too and it has a lot of unique and interesting qualities, immediate problems aside.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:54:52 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1332 on: July 02, 2014, 11:02:21 AM »

@Mickeymac92: I have no idea what you're talking about. In what world Puppeteer is hard and frustrating?

...actually, I reread the 4 reviews I thought I read, as well as browsed the comments, and no one complained about the game being difficult. Hell, a few complained about it being too easy. -_- Oh well, I found it difficult, and that's all the matters to me. Heck, people keep telling me Super Mario World is piss-easy (which it definitely isn't) and that Mega Man 2 is hard (even on a bad day, I never have much trouble beating a stage with even just the Mega Buster), so I guess I should know better than to so readily trust people on what is and isn't difficult when it comes to platformers. <_< Lesson learned...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1333 on: July 02, 2014, 11:48:21 AM »

I bought it because
a) It was on sale and
b) There's really nothing else out I want for the rest of the month (unless I completely forgot something).

I definitely think it's something you should wait for a sale on, IMO, but it's up to you.  If you like what you liked in NieR then you're more or less buying into the same 'style' here.  Combat is fun enough, but it doesn't feel like it was fine-tuned enough.  Levels suffer from FF13's hallway-syndrome and missions aren't very different; but the level banter keeps things pretty entertaining and combat is fun in that Dynasty Warriors style of 1 versus 1,000 kind of way.  The plot starts thin, but then things get weirder and deeper as things go on.

Also, whut the hell.  DLC is crazy expensive.  Are the Sister Chapters worth the freaking $23 pricetag for all off them????

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1334 on: July 02, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »

How's NIER, anyway? Looks interesting to me, and I've heard some people say it plays really poorly, but the reviews here made it sound like it plays fine, it's just nothing particularly original or mindblowing?

Did I mention that I made a Japanese XBox Live account for the hell of it, and got the name BearishPilot69 assigned to me? Yeeeeah.

--- edit ---

Ended up re-buying Saints Row 2 for the 360 and played. Now that I can play this at a decent framerate I'm really appreciating how explorable the game world is -- it has a lot of 'special' locations, vehicles at points of interest, and better collectibles than SR3 does I guesssss. Anyway, just replayed the first two missions and found some CDs/tagspots.

Meanwhile, in Radiant Silvergun, I got to Stage 4 in Arcade Mode after giving myself like 10 lives per continue. I am not good at this game at all. The spinny laser guy is a pain. The wall elevator boss isn't too bad though if you don't take out his side parts.

Crimzon Clover - Played against the level 3 boss on training. Managed to do it without dying or only dying once, I don't remember.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:40:24 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 155 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: