Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 06:07:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338204 Posts in 13845 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 169 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 72993 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »

Tomorrow I'm grabbing the new Layton.  My momma said she'd buy it for me because it's a puzzle game good for noggin and she's proud of me at school!  Aw, shucks.  :P

My mom and I have been taking turns buying two copies from the first one, tomorrow is my turn.

That's too cute for words.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 09:41:30 PM »

Slowly chipping away at Bravely Default. It's kind of pushed everything else (mainly Atelier Totori Plus) to the side.

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 11:06:57 PM »

My mom bought me the new Layton game too.  It was her belated Valentine's gift to me.  it should come in the mail soon.  Unfortunately my bf still has by 3ds.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 12:02:52 AM »

MGS3 - Moving through the warehouse in Metal Gear Solid 3. Just past the trap forest area. I really like this game. It's got this very, uh... Ultima/System Shocky vibe to it, with how the items and NPCs work. I'm pretty sure I've already failed to get all of the frogs. Oh welp.

I should actually try to finish it. It's not supposed to be terribly long, so.......

Driver - I'm trying to figure out why I like Crazy Taxi but not this or Burnout Paradise, even though they're all kind of ostensibly similar. I think it comes down to two things:

1. In Crazy Taxi, you have one goal, but the approach you can take to completing the goal is pretty open ended. There tend to be optimal routes between stops, but you have a lot of options in how you, uh, chain runs. It's also fairly forgiving I guess? Comparatively, Driver and BP give you fixed goals, aren't very forgiving, and you're pretty much stuck to one optimal route in Driver or a small handful of them in BP.

2. CT's maps are a lot more navigable than Driver's -- you don't get a lot of super sharp turns or walls to crash into. Driver's turns are all nintety degree angles from what I can tell, and Burnout Paradise... actually the crash cam is one of the big features in the game and it's a major turn-off for me.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 12:04:26 AM »

I've hit a wall in EO IV.

I'm in the third land, and it just feels like I'm not making any progress. I'm strong enough to beat some creatures, but not others. I'm not getting any new materials for new weapons/armour and I don't know what I'm going to do to progress.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 12:21:19 AM »

I'm really enjoying A Link Between Worlds. It has such a classic feel to it, but with modern gaming innovations to make it that much better. I like just wandering around the land, exploring. I'm about to start up the Tower of Hera.
I ended up just renting every single item Ravio has. makes sense, right? It annoyed me when I had to leave the wind dungeon to go rent another item, so that won't be a problem anymore.

My son decided to call it quits on Mario 3D Land. He claims it was too hard, and not fun anymore. I hate seeing him not finish a game that he was enjoying because of overly challenging platforming. Anyone else find the game to be difficult?

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 12:36:50 AM »

I'm really enjoying A Link Between Worlds. It has such a classic feel to it, but with modern gaming innovations to make it that much better. I like just wandering around the land, exploring. I'm about to start up the Tower of Hera.
I ended up just renting every single item Ravio has. makes sense, right? It annoyed me when I had to leave the wind dungeon to go rent another item, so that won't be a problem anymore.

My son decided to call it quits on Mario 3D Land. He claims it was too hard, and not fun anymore. I hate seeing him not finish a game that he was enjoying because of overly challenging platforming. Anyone else find the game to be difficult?

For whatever reason, my motor skills usually give up or start going limp with what's requested in late-game Mario levels.  I haven't played 3D Land, but I imagine the same thing would happen since it has with the other Mario games I've played. :c

As for Link Between Worlds and renting the shop up....just don't die and beware the centaur things around Hera.
I'm glad you're liking it though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 04:18:03 AM »

The 3rd Birthday -  In the safe rooms where you can buy guns, I always look for a way to buy pants.  I need some new pants ASAP!  Also I am not a fan of the noises she makes while fighting.  The gameplay is run and gun which wasn't what I was looking for.  I also feel bad about jumping into people's bodies and leading them to their doom.  It seems so cruel.  This game will probably go in the attempted but unfinished pile.   

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 04:43:05 AM »

MGS3 - Moving through the warehouse in Metal Gear Solid 3. Just past the trap forest area. I really like this game. It's got this very, uh... Ultima/System Shocky vibe to it, with how the items and NPCs work. I'm pretty sure I've already failed to get all of the frogs. Oh welp.

There are some pretty tough frogs to get, which involve stuff like using a sniper rifle... while riding on a sidewagon of a bike (iirc). Definitely not something to worry about on a normal run (nor stamina kills or collecting all animals, possibly eating them too). Not sure if you're interested in that or not, but the games are quite short if you do subsequent playthroughs and just skip all the cutscenes so it doesn't require insane effort or anything. I think the hardest one was to fill the movie gallery in it.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 10:26:51 AM »

Only took me another hour after posting about it to finish The Interlude in FFIV:CC. I don't even know why Square Enix even bothered to make that. I'm really slow at playing games and that took me only a hair over 4 hours.

Though I guess that's allegedly twice as long as Ground Zeroes :P
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 02:00:22 PM »

Story is finally picking up in Bravely Default in the middle of chapter 4. I'm intrigued about this secret the Grand Marshall told the Dark Knight, but it probably is going to end up being a disappointment. Either way, at least they piqued my interest again. This Eternia town is tons more awesome in terms of story and place than the last few.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 02:10:46 PM »

There are some pretty tough frogs to get, which involve stuff like using a sniper rifle... while riding on a sidewagon of a bike (iirc). Definitely not something to worry about on a normal run (nor stamina kills or collecting all animals, possibly eating them too). Not sure if you're interested in that or not, but the games are quite short if you do subsequent playthroughs and just skip all the cutscenes so it doesn't require insane effort or anything. I think the hardest one was to fill the movie gallery in it.

The Stamina kills do make the boss fights a bit more interesting, especially the stealth guy (The Fear, I believe). Also the many ways to kill The End are hilarious (its not a Stamina kill, but sniping him during the bit where they load the scientist guy on a plane is totally worth it if you can pull it off).

The 3rd Birthday -  In the safe rooms where you can buy guns, I always look for a way to buy pants.  I need some new pants ASAP!  Also I am not a fan of the noises she makes while fighting.  The gameplay is run and gun which wasn't what I was looking for.  I also feel bad about jumping into people's bodies and leading them to their doom.  It seems so cruel.  This game will probably go in the attempted but unfinished pile.   

I told you man. I told you bro. I told you about those disappointments.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 02:25:54 PM »

My favorite is the one around hereHe-uh!.  Xenoblade's Fiora had a weird one that sounded like she was gagging too.  It's silly, but I think it's one of those things voice director's should keep in mind is a non-awkward grunt noise that you might hear a whole bunch of times. x)
One thing that I noticed to was an excessive amount of Aya just making "noise" during cutscenes.  Small gasps, quiet breathing out, etc.  Again, it's not a big deal, just one of those things I kept on noticing (like JJ Abrams  and lens flares use).

Story is finally picking up in Bravely Default in the middle of chapter 4. I'm intrigued about this secret the Grand Marshall told the Dark Knight, but it probably is going to end up being a disappointment. Either way, at least they piqued my interest again. This Eternia town is tons more awesome in terms of story and place than the last few.

yaaay i can't wait.
Till then I'm stuck where Qada is at navigating a shitty maze. x(
This game could have really benefit from Legend of Mana-like dungeons.  The hand-drawn towns are so nice, these 3D mazes and caves are really tedious and exhausting.

Only took me another hour after posting about it to finish The Interlude in FFIV:CC. I don't even know why Square Enix even bothered to make that. I'm really slow at playing games and that took me only a hair over 4 hours.

Though I guess that's allegedly twice as long as Ground Zeroes :P

(fill me in, is Ground Zeroes apparently short???  What a drag)
And yeah, FFIV CC met with a lot of mixed reactions about the plot and the Interlude being especially pointless.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 02:48:36 PM »

Ugh that maze is annoying and Qada is the boss I have had the most trouble with so far (0 game overs so far, but I came close with him). I agree with you, the towns looks amazing, but the dungeons look the same for the most part throughout.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 05:15:21 PM »

Ugh that maze is annoying and Qada is the boss I have had the most trouble with so far (0 game overs so far, but I came close with him). I agree with you, the towns looks amazing, but the dungeons look the same for the most part throughout.

Don't fight this guy with anyone sporting Damage Dispersion. Not unless you want to get your party one-shotted.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 169 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: