Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 06:00:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341085 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 182 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 82565 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1575 on: August 02, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »

Anyone have a tip for getting Yojimbo to do Zanmotto against dark valefor?

I can't get him to do it no matter how much money I give him.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1576 on: August 02, 2014, 11:00:33 AM »

Anyone have a tip for getting Yojimbo to do Zanmotto against dark valefor?

I can't get him to do it no matter how much money I give him.

When you get Yojimbo, you should choose the "defeat the mightiest of foes" (or something to that extent) option. After that, you should just keep using him. The more you use him, the likelier it gets.  Having Yuna do her overdrive summon should boost the chances too. If that is your first time trying to perfom Zanmato, then it'll likely have terrible odds. It's been a while since I played, but I had pretty much 90% rate of Zanmato in my game. Gil never seemed that important unless you give it in the millions.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1577 on: August 02, 2014, 11:48:32 AM »

I finally got it, only to discover I wasn't missing that sphere.

I thought I was missing the zanarkand one but every time I leave the temple, the sphere stays behind.

I don't know whether I'm doing something wrong or it's a bug.

I've spent all day trying to get these extra summons and now it seems like I'm not going to get them because I didn't play through with a faq in my lap - which is what I hesr I have to do for X-2.

I'm incredibly frustrated at this point at the whole stupid rigamarole.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1578 on: August 02, 2014, 11:55:24 AM »

Er... you don't need the destruction sphere itself. You need to use the destruction sphere in each temple to find that temple's hidden chest.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1579 on: August 02, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »

I missed the Besaid Sphere... which isn't a problem most of the time, but then Dark Aeons happened (and yeah I [had to] Zanmanto my way through that one).

I really want to finish-finish FFX HD, but heart's really out of it for games that require a ton of necessary grinding these days.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1580 on: August 02, 2014, 12:29:12 PM »

Lohertasteo Skoputisto: I USED TO WONDER WHAT INCEST COULD BE. UNTIL YOU ALL SHARED ITS MAGIC WITH ME. Finished Chapter 1.

Rejected MMX Boss Idea: Thalidomide Thylacine.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:36:40 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1581 on: August 02, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »

Bravely Default, chapter 4.  Difficulty spike was pretty significant.  I can't just charge in stupidly and go for 1st-round victories all the time now.  Time to buy some shields! 

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1582 on: August 02, 2014, 03:40:09 PM »

Er... you don't need the destruction sphere itself. You need to use the destruction sphere in each temple to find that temple's hidden chest.

Yeah I realise that now.

And I agree with Dice. I find it hard to do serious grindfests anymore.

More than anything I hate playing a game and accomplishing nothing.
Grinding is irritating but when I'm literally just trying to finish the same battle for hours on end, it is maddening.

The only reason I put the time in today is there's a typhoon outside and I'm not going anywhere.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:42:21 PM by Lard » Logged

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1583 on: August 02, 2014, 04:08:38 PM »

Finished up Persona 4 Golden this morning. Took me 72 hours total. I really liked the game, but I was definitely ready for it to be over. It's a good game, but not one of my favorites.

Started The Last of Us Remastered. That introduction sequence was spectacular. Then the mission to find Robert with Tess turned into Uncharted. I hope there's more survival horror to this that what I have experienced. I was hoping for more than just shooting humans. Kind of disappointed.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1584 on: August 02, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »

Finished up Persona 4 Golden this morning. Took me 72 hours total. I really liked the game, but I was definitely ready for it to be over. It's a good game, but not one of my favorites.

Started The Last of Us Remastered. That introduction sequence was spectacular. Then the mission to find Robert with Tess turned into Uncharted. I hope there's more survival horror to this that what I have experienced. I was hoping for more than just shooting humans. Kind of disappointed.

Don't worry, it's pretty balanced in terms of zombie/human fighting.

Finished DDS. Final thoughts:

Pros:

Battle system - Really enjoyed the press turn battle system, it's fast paced when you have your strategy figured out and at the same time it allows you to think things carefully without the stress of an ATB system. Nice variety of spells/physical attacks and pretty much everything was useful. Very well balanced.

Great music/atmosphere - Nothing much to say here, the OST was pretty strong in the "towns", it fit the dungeons and the battle themes were very cool. Loved the intro theme too.

Enjoyable characters - At first I thought the characters were pretty robotic but the farther I progress the more they started opening up and showing more interesting traits. They weren't amazing or anything but they were likable and I enjoyed them. There is still a lot of potential for development as the sequel will still focus on these characters I assume.

Interesting story/setting - Junkyard was a very interesting setting and the premise of having to Devour in order to survive kept things tense and interesting, wish there was more frequent dialogue and story as sometimes I felt like there was way too much time passing between events.

Great Boss fights - This is easily one of the highlights of the game, bosses are challenging and it's extremely fun and rewarding to figure out a strategy to beat them. There is a small degree of trial and error involved as you can't guess the boss's weakness without fighting them and you may not have a proper setup for it, still it's not a big deal. Rarely did this actually affect my performance in the bosses, sometimes even with not optimal setups I was still managed to find a way to win by taking advantage of everything(items,etc). The final boss in particular was really cool and it gave me that "last boss" challenge that few games do.

Good customization system - At first I thought it was a bit overwhelming but as Macca restrictions started applying and I figured out what I wanted each character to be, it was really smooth.

Really nice and balanced difficulty - I didn't do much in the way of sidequests or grind at any point in the game and with this in mind, the challenge of the game was perfect and finely turned.

Cons:

Dungeons range from mediocre to OK - Some of the dungeons felt either too repetitive/uninspired or way too long. Even in places with some refreshing diversions like Coordinate 136(I think that's the correct number) it still suffered from those issues I felt. Definitely the weakest point in the game imo. Can't say I enjoyed any particular dungeon immensely(well except maybe Brute's Mansion). Still explored them to the max.(except for the final dungeon which I just tried to reach the end as I didn't really like it and was eager to end the game.).

Random Encounter rate is a little bit higher than I would have liked - Using those spray items later in the game helped a lot but it was still a bit of a nuisance in the first half of the game.

Too much of a tease for the 2nd game, barely any conclusions to the plot - It reminds me a lot of Xenosaga I in this regard. It's not a big deal, I plan to start Digital Devil Saga 2 right away but it's still worth mentioning.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1585 on: August 02, 2014, 07:40:05 PM »

Don't expect a Survival Horror game out of TLoU, because that's not what the game is about or even trying to go for. There are small sections in where the game gives the impression to be about horror, and while those parts are enjoyable and rather tense in higher difficulties TLoU is still a "Survival Action" game somewhat in line with modern Resident Evil if I had to give a quick point of reference.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1586 on: August 03, 2014, 05:06:29 AM »

So after finally figuring out what I needed, I got Anima and the Magus Sisters which made the end of the game a cakewalk. I had completely forgotten that Jecht basically turns into Heihachi's dad from Tekken.

Started X-2 and it's making me cringe just as much as the first time I saw it.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1587 on: August 03, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »

Started Bound by Flames. I'm still early in the game so I have no strong feelings yet. However the graphics do get annoying as sunlight is a bit too....bright? I don't know how to describe it beyond, I hate transitioning from the shade to direct sunlight. x_x

Lohertasteo Skoputisto: I USED TO WONDER WHAT INCEST COULD BE. UNTIL YOU ALL SHARED ITS MAGIC WITH ME. Finished Chapter 1.
I learned from FE4 that it is the best way to create genetic super soldier/the devil.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1588 on: August 03, 2014, 11:52:35 AM »

Finished The Walking Dead Amid the Ruins. It was good although overall, I probably preferred season 1.

One thing I didn't like in the episode and it applies to both seasons is that
Code:
none of your choices really matter in the grand scheme of things. You can save a character from being killed but all you are doing is delaying the inevitable. If a character had the option of being killed don't expect them to live to the next season.

I am also playing Ragnarok Odyssey Ace. It is fun enough but I think Monster Hunter has spoiled me.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1589 on: August 03, 2014, 01:35:01 PM »

@the Spoiler, considering it's supposed to be post(Mid?)-apocalyptic, I wouldn't expect anything else. If anything, I'd call that a strength, so long as it's done well enough.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 182 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: