Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 06:08:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334723 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 152 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 63212 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1635 on: August 07, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »

Raiden Fighters - I don't remember having such a hard time at getting the gold medals to show up >:T Whatever, got the /cheevo/ for hitting, uh, I think ten million points?

Lotad - I found the thing in the place and killed the jello turtles on the way to LAKE SHORE and unlocked Asuka's last materia deedly. Writing is still doing absolutely nothing for me.

Akai Katana - I don't get this game >:T The mechanics I'm reading about online DON'T seem to match what I'm actually encountering while I play it -- like, I appear to collect the gold even if I get hit in ninja mode, and I generate gold without using the laser. Also the energy gain rate... seems really low compared to what I see online.

That and the patterns are /really tricky/ without using the invincibility ninja mode gives you.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:26:14 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1636 on: August 07, 2014, 11:19:50 PM »

Beat FF4: The After Years iOS this morning. Don't regret my purchase.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1637 on: August 08, 2014, 04:20:43 AM »

Beat Dead Space 2.

It was...ok but definitely felt like there was corporate meddling involved in it.

Saints Row 3 is fun.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1638 on: August 08, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »

Beat FF4: The After Years iOS this morning. Don't regret my purchase.

Your a better fan than I my friend. I was pretty sore over the whole experience. Particularly the final dungeon boss fest followed by an ending that just... didn't bode well with me.

Congrats all the same though. Having just gone through that one myself I really feel that final stretch to be a test of patience worth a gold star, or at the very least a pat on the back.

In my neck of the woods, I beat Breath of Fire IV!!!

The final boss battle was absolutely freakin' EPIC!!!! This was because, if for no other reason than being completely under-leveled, it lasted like 2 hours. I really like how the final fight cleverly strips away the sustained effectiveness of Dragon usage forcing you to rely more heavily on other party members/strategies.

It was nice to see a far more satisfying ending to BF4 after how pitiful the BF3 conclusion was. I was expecting another anime still followed by credits and instead I actually got some dialogue and (some) narrative closure!

My final impression of the game is that of pleasant satisfaction. My only complaints, in reviewing my experience in its entirety, stem from how "small" or "contained" the world felt and how underwhelming the battle difficulty proved (most the game). They did a decent job of providing a sense of variety despite the small-esque scale of everything but I couldn't help but feel very claustrophobic the whole way through.

BF4 sure doesn't get everything right, but its distinct style really gives the franchise its own identity in this installment. The title carried with it a unique "magic" in the way all the art direction gelled that left me really feeling attached to the atmosphere, cast and experience. 

Great suggestion Dice. Thank you for the nudge to dive in on this one before Xillia 2. I don't regret it in the least.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:36:06 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1639 on: August 08, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22006397/VIDYA%20IMPARTS/lohmipcomparison.gif

Crossposting this from the actual Trails in the Sky thread since nobody's reading that.

<Toad> Sorry Mario, the princess was never in the castle in the first place, a-hyuck!

--

LoH - Chapter 1 sort of felt like a shaggy dog story. Up to chapter 2 now. Lots of backtracking. Generic gruff redheaded dude is generic. More big empty areas.

- Combat with map enemies is trivial if you get a preemptive strike and you can usually kill them before they do anything, but if they get a surprise attack on you they can do a ton of damage before you can act. And it's easy to get surprise attacks because if an enemy hits ANYONE in your party that has their back turned it triggers one. Like I managed to get surprise attacked by walking away from a stationary enemy, cause my party... just flipped behind me. Meanwhile it's weird to get preemptive strikes because, thanks to the 3D maps and 2D sprites, it's NOT always apparent whether you're running into an enemy's back or not in certain camera angles.

This is actually something I found offputting about SMTIV as well -- combat depending too much on who got the first strike, and camerascrew making it hard to tell how close you were to them.

- I feel like I'm encountering more RNG screw than I typically do in a JRPG. In particular with turn ordering -- there were some set battled in one place, and the first time I did them, Asuka and Cecilia got KO'd because all of the bandits went first, and used poison attacks on me. After I won, I reloaded because I didn't feel like using a revival item, and this time only two of them went before me and none of them used poison attacks. Also some turn orders for your own guys are better than others, since they end up pushing the enemies out of range.

Damage also seems like it's really all over the place?

Espgaluda 2 - Managed to get up to Level 3 without having to continue. Think I should maybe try black label or something -- idk how to score well in original mode yet at all, and I don't really know how black label works period because the manual is in Foreign.

Eschatos - FUCK MY CONTROLLER BATTERIES WENT NIGHTNIGHT.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:22:38 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1640 on: August 09, 2014, 08:19:42 AM »

- Combat with map enemies is trivial if you get a preemptive strike and you can usually kill them before they do anything, but if they get a surprise attack on you they can do a ton of damage before you can act. And it's easy to get surprise attacks because if an enemy hits ANYONE in your party that has their back turned it triggers one. Like I managed to get surprise attacked by walking away from a stationary enemy, cause my party... just flipped behind me. Meanwhile it's weird to get preemptive strikes because, thanks to the 3D maps and 2D sprites, it's NOT always apparent whether you're running into an enemy's back or not in certain camera angles.

Have you got the Haze quartz yet? You get it at Bracer rank 5, equip it and enemies will stop chasing you. After I've got that, I usually just fight one or two of each enemy type in an area and ignore the rest, there's more than enough experience and sepith to stay reasonably strong without getting overleveled.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 11:29:08 AM by DPB » Logged
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1641 on: August 09, 2014, 11:16:41 AM »

Rolled a Sith marauder in ToR the other day and levelled to 24 as of last night. Enjoying this much more now for some reason:/ Aside from that I started a new file in FFVIII purely to go the card quest. Also some online SSFIV.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1642 on: August 09, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »

Have you got the Haze quartz yet? You get it at Bracer rank 5, equip it and enemies will stop chasing you. After I've got that, I usually just fight one or two of each enemy type in an area and ignore the rest, there's more than enough experience and sepith to stay reasonably strong without getting overleveled.

No, I'm with Mesh here. It's pretty bad how when you turn around, your entire party retraces your step instead of staying at their location until they can move to follow you.
Having to equip something to fix a stupid behaviour doesn't make it better.

Estelle: OMG GUYS THERE THIS SCARY MONSTER ! RUN !!!
Joshua: What monster let me go seeaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH !
Shera: Pfff bunch of wimps, I'm sure there's nothing to be scaAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH !
Oliver: Oh well, when in Ruan, do like the Ruanians \_(ツ)_/ AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH !
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1643 on: August 09, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »

LoH - Chapter 1 sort of felt like a shaggy dog story. Up to chapter 2 now. Lots of backtracking. Generic gruff redheaded dude is generic. More big empty areas.

This is actually something I found offputting about SMTIV as well -- combat depending too much on who got the first strike, and camerascrew making it hard to tell how close you were to them.

- I feel like I'm encountering more RNG screw than I typically do in a JRPG. In particular with turn ordering -- there were some set battled in one place, and the first time I did them, Asuka and Cecilia got KO'd because all of the bandits went first, and used poison attacks on me. After I won, I reloaded because I didn't feel like using a revival item, and this time only two of them went before me and none of them used poison attacks. Also some turn orders for your own guys are better than others, since they end up pushing the enemies out of range.

Damage also seems like it's really all over the place?

Unfortunately for you, Eagle Eye and Haze are the best combat avoidance tools you'll get for most of the game, the problem is that Eagle Eye's most important feature is getting enemy mobs to appear on your minimap (granted, not having to be right on top of an enemy mob to see them is still very useful, but again, I found the minimap display the more useful feature). Also yeah, the party train can get annoying later on when you have four members (and possibly an NPC or two) since you need Estelle (or whomever is in the lead) plowing into the enemy's rear (even if someone else from your conga line plows head first into an enemy mob, it still counts as getting surprised). Fortunately, the game is easy enough to not have to worry too much about losing the initiative once or twice (its when you're constantly getting surprised and getting forced to burn valuable resources that it becomes a problem, especially in Chapter 3 where Estelle's your party healer but the need for more expensive healing Arts and her mediocre EP total means that she'll be burning through her EP reserves in no time and healing options are kinda not that great beyond store bought items which are expensive and fuuuuck).

As for turn order, as far as I was able to tell, it basically works like any other SRPG. Movement and actions costs a certain amount of, for lack of an actual value name, CT with certain types of actions costing varying amount of CT. You can see an example of the latter when picking out Arts to use in battle since those have different CTs depending on the level and nature of the spell (i.e. basic healing Arts are faster than AoE Arts). If you either don't move or attack then naturally, your turn will come up faster than before, likewise the same applies to enemies (so for instance, if an enemy can't waddle over to you on their turn you can be sure that they're the ones who are going to act next. The game's biggest fault in this regard is not telling you anything about those CT values outside of the turn order window. At least it gives your guys an option that can completely ignore CT for a single attack (/party heal if you're using the magic girl healer type).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1644 on: August 09, 2014, 01:17:46 PM »

No, I'm with Mesh here. It's pretty bad how when you turn around, your entire party retraces your step instead of staying at their location until they can move to follow you.
Having to equip something to fix a stupid behaviour doesn't make it better.

I didn't say it was better, I'm just pointing it out since he might have overlooked it or not obtained it yet. Once you've got Haze the game goes from fairly easy to the easiest JRPG since Grandia 2, at least until the final dungeon.

Re: Eagle Vision showing enemies on the minimap - that was one of the few things added to the PSP version that they haven't backported.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 01:19:53 PM by DPB » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1645 on: August 09, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »

@Aeolus: I meant more the initial turn order when combat starts, especially wrt. set encounters.

I didn't say it was better, I'm just pointing it out since he might have overlooked it or not obtained it yet.

I don't have Haze yet, and I skipped out on Eagle Vision because you... mostly if I can't see an enemy it's because they're behind a tree or something, and not because of the /fog of war/ thing the game has going on.

In any case, I'm at the start of chapter 2 and just past 15 hours. This is the part where I heard it's... supposed to get interesting. I'm willing to give it another two or three hours to do that.

wrt Japanese HIB: I liked the Astebreed demo. The full game is... not very fun. Gigantic Army is pretty terrible. I'm wondering why I got this HIB now -- I guess because a couple of the games, uh,had demos that I liked/looked interesting. I keep forgetting that as a whole the Japanese indie game scene is /not very good/brazenly awful these days.

Whatever, I have spare Pixeljunk Shooter and Ys: Origin keys if anyone wants them.

--- edit ---

Okay I tried out Pixeljunk Shooter and it's like a less good combination of Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet mixed with a less good version of Sub-Terrania. Maybe it picks up eventually but it's supposed to be really short idk the fluid physics sounded interesting, but...

Eschatos - Got up to like... somewhere after area 14 on two credits, and up to the Chichen Itza boss before I had to continue.

Espgaluda 2 - Ran out of lives on the level 2 boss when it had a sliver of health left. I feel like I'm getting better at this. Going to screw around on level 3 in training for awhile.

LoH - Also seriously did the game just say that magnolias were a type of hibiscus? Christ it did

MAGNOLIAS ARE NOT A KIND OF HIBISCUS, JOSHUA. I WILL STAB YOU I SWEAR TO GOD.

... Also was that merchant selling (misspelled) azalea fruit? Wouldn't those kill you?
--

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:05:18 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1646 on: August 10, 2014, 02:25:32 AM »

@Aeolus: I meant more the initial turn order when combat starts, especially wrt. set encounters.

I didn't say it was better, I'm just pointing it out since he might have overlooked it or not obtained it yet.

I don't have Haze yet, and I skipped out on Eagle Vision because you... mostly if I can't see an enemy it's because they're behind a tree or something, and not because of the /fog of war/ thing the game has going on.

In any case, I'm at the start of chapter 2 and just past 15 hours. This is the part where I heard it's... supposed to get interesting. I'm willing to give it another two or three hours to do that.

wrt Japanese HIB: I liked the Astebreed demo. The full game is... not very fun. Gigantic Army is pretty terrible. I'm wondering why I got this HIB now -- I guess because a couple of the games, uh,had demos that I liked/looked interesting. I keep forgetting that as a whole the Japanese indie game scene is /not very good/brazenly awful these days.

Whatever, I have spare Pixeljunk Shooter and Ys: Origin keys if anyone wants them.

Yes, Chapter 2 is where you start actually dealing with the game's plot, but only at the very end of it and even then its a mere tangent to what's going on at the moment (the remaining chapters are better about this). Unfortunately, most of Chapter 2 is spent avenging burnt orphanages and going through the school festival episode essential to most by-the-numbers anime.

Also, without the minimap functionality, Eagle Eye is pretty much a waste of a good Orbment slot.

And yeah. I see what you're referring to in terms of CT wonkiness and I don't think there's any work around beyond not losing initiative or being able to tank a turn and recover afterwards if you do. The bonuses are definitely random and it can suck if the enemy gets a really lucky draw.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1647 on: August 10, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »

Well after taking over a month to finish AC:Black Flag (good game), I finally played a rpg and beat it in a week too.  I had 3 Atelier games in my to do list and finally decided to put to bed the Arland trilogy with Meruru.  I played blind and ending up with the Topsy Turvey ending.  The time management element in the game wasn't bad at all.  I hit the requirements well before the deadlines.  That said, I still didn't build up the kingdom all the way nor did I synthesize everything.  It was a fun trilogy and I can't wait to start the new one. 

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1648 on: August 10, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »

Okay found some thing on Steam and hacked my LoH save game to be in hard mode. Nominally exploiting elemental weaknesses and having proper equips is a lot more important now, howeveeeeeeer:

- The RNG screw is really exacerbated, since you end up in situations where a single miss from you or the enemy can be the difference between and getting totally wiped. Also if you're doing a craft that amounts to wasted CP which you can't necessarily recover that quickly.

- You're a lot more reliant on the turn bonus things/stopping the enemy from getting then, EXCEPT this also exacerbates the RNG screw mentioned above -- oh hey I navigated myself into getting a crit this turn oh wait I missed whoops -- and when yo have companions sometimes they'll do useless actions outside of your control that, uh, shifts the bonuses around which is just stupid.

- You'd probably need to change your orbal configurations a little between every fight to really maximize everything. Do I really feel like doing this?

- Enemies appear to be getting more turns in general, and getting a preemptive strike doesn't really mean you get two attacks so much as it's guaranteeing that you DO attack first.

- Still too much reliance on surprise/preemptives.

- I don't really feel like you have the necessary recourse for dealing with everything.

Code:
In particular there's a chest with a battle suit in it on the way to Ruan. The enemies in the chest have like an AoE attack that does 200 damage and can possibly confuse one of your characters. Up to this point I think you'd only have one anti-confusion necklace, for one thing. Also they move fast enough that they can basically wipe you out in two turns without you being able to do much.

There's no real in-combat strategy for this -- the correct approach is apparently going to Ruan, upgrading your armor, getting another lily necklace, and going back. I guess you could buffing your defense/evasion with orbments -- I think having an identical defense/evade/mind setup for Estelle and Joshua may have worked, but that's not giving you nearly as much defense as the new armor is, and Evade orbals are... green and I've had a problem with getting green splerpf the entire game so far.

Basically the enemies are weak to water attacks, and a single blast of MIND WATER will kill them or put them near death, so the correct approach is to just spam that until they're dead or low enough in HP that Estelle could take them all out with Hurricane (and have the lily necklaces equipped so they can't confuse you), but again you end up relying on whether the RNG says which attacks hit or not/the enemies using their normal attack instead of Pale File, which does less damage and isn't AoE.

- You still tend to take a lot of damage which mostly means you have to horde either healing items or food ingredients now?

IDK it's definitely a lot harder but I can't tell if it's /interesting/ hard or just more drawn out.

To it's credit though it doesn't, by any means, come close to approaching the level of /bad difficulty mod/ that this thing does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQLezKCtDZo

o/` I do not dream o/`

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1649 on: August 10, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »

To it's credit though it doesn't, by any means, come close to approaching the level of /bad difficulty mod/ that this thing does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQLezKCtDZo

That looks really stupid. I mean, Grandia 2 is ridiculously easy but turning every normal encounter into a 10 minute boss fight isn't the right approach either. Haven't they heard of the middle ground?
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 152 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: