Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:23:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338111 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 169 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 72746 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1740 on: August 28, 2014, 08:40:30 AM »

Second boss in Guided Fate Paradox seems a little... unfair. Allowing only 2 turns upon defeating the last regular mob to damage the main boss seems like the game is asking for a bit too much luck.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1741 on: August 28, 2014, 10:26:16 PM »

Screwed around with a hooker's friend's copy of Suikoden 5. It... feels very anime and very Suikoden 1.

I think the reasons I liked Suikoden 3 so much were the reasons the Suikoden fans did not :T

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1742 on: August 29, 2014, 01:20:48 AM »

So I decided that I still haven't had enough and am now trying to work through one of the last remaining Mysteries of the Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Namely, I'm trying to nail down Maiden's Stats and Class if possible. Judging from what I've found thus far, Maiden can only really have the Merchant Class since even Villager's base HP is way too high (I suspect that Maiden's combined HP total is only 11 HP whereas the Villager's Class base is 16 HP alone, so either she can't be a Villager despite being the most obvious possibility or her actual base HP is -5 HP; meanwhile Merchants don't seem to have an HP Stat base, but the same can be said of Soldiers so I have yet to rule them out (also Revenants/Entombed/Grima but lol)). Either way I'm going to need to compare with a known variable like Sumia, Sully, Maribelle, or Olivia so that I can see what kind of differences I should be looking for.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1743 on: August 29, 2014, 02:07:42 AM »

man... Drangleic castle in Dark Souls 2 is rough on a spell caster.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1744 on: August 29, 2014, 08:21:28 AM »

Been playing a lot of stuff so I'll just do this quick, no frills:

Fallout: New Vegas - Just cleared out Primm of Bandits yet apparently they won't be satisfied until they get a sheriff, and the only guy who'll do it is a criminal who wants a pardon. Great...

Baldur's Gate - Finally made it out of the castle at least...on a file I made for messing around.

realMyst - Just beat the ship section. Now I'm gonna head to the stone age. Had enough of water for one day...

Final Fantasy XII - Finally got out of prison, now I gotta go to some mine to save Penelo. After I beat up a cactus...which I did once, but then I decided to fight a dinosaur on the way back. It looked like a good idea at the time...

Xenoblade Chronicles - Just did some quests so I'll be ready when I want to move on with the story. I like when I do a quest where I have everything already, especially if its a 5-part scavenger hunt. =P

King of Fighters XI- This game is hard, but I forgot how fun it could be. Nothing like pulling off some big combos.

Rocket Knight Adventures - Just messed around with the first few levels. Man, this looks like butt on an HD TV. -_-;

Astral - I wish I wasn't playing the Japanese version, I have no idea what's going on! Fun game, though. But how do I hurt the first boss?

F-Zero GX - Beat the first Grand Prix on Novice. Very exilerating, this game is.

Super Mario Shunshine - Beat the Manta Ray shadow thing (was easy once I found out you could stay in the water by the shore and just blast everything), the Yoshi-Go-Round's Secret (a no water pack level. Nearly got a heart attack, these levels are so stressful), and then I got the Turbo nozzle.

All in all, a good week.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1745 on: August 29, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »

Gee golly mickey that is quite a rotation that you've got going there. Paint me impressed.

If that were my gaming agenda I'd go bonkers. It took me my whole adult life to manage a 3 game rotation. LoL.

And this week for me there was NO rotation whatsoever. I played the hell out of Xillia 2. Can't put it down.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1746 on: August 29, 2014, 12:13:53 PM »

I actually bought Yumina the Ethereal but I gave up on it because the dungeon-crawling gets really tedious.  Boring, bland, random dungeons with the same old enemies everywhere you go that don't even make full use of the combat system (there are several skills are only useful for boss fights).  And if you think the fights drag out too long now, imagine repeating the exact same fight against the exact same enemies 50 times in a row.  I don't believe that the demo even showed off that part of the game...

Seriously, I actually liked some aspects of the combat system.  If they had used it more sparingly (like just limited it to boss fights or something) I think I could have enjoyed the game.  But the dungeons suck.

I never saw the dungeon crawling in the demo, but the screenshots of the first-person dungeons didn't look promising at all.  In a sense, the battle system is an improvement on Thousand Arms' battle system, but that battle system was kinda lousy to begin with.  I read that the game is 40+ hours and after playing the demo, I thought "yeah, that's too long.  25 hours of this tops would be it for me." 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1747 on: August 29, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »

Screwed around with a hooker's friend's copy of Suikoden 5. It... feels very anime and very Suikoden 1.

I think the reasons I liked Suikoden 3 so much were the reasons the Suikoden fans did not :T

Suikoden 5 was realy good and I felt the kinda rts battles were cool even though the rune abilities were super OP. The only problem I got with 5 is that there are a bajillion loading screens.

Been just grinding away in Diablo 3, though looking forward to a ton of releases in September, getting a ps4 for Destiny, and Curtain Call coming out.
Also, Gunvolt and the Phoenix wright/Layton crossover comes out today.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1748 on: August 29, 2014, 06:49:35 PM »

Suikoden 5...The only problem I got with 5 is that there are a bajillion loading screens.

That stupid fucking boat village where you had to pass through 20 boats (and 20 loading screens) to get through the end of it.

But seriously...How the hell hasn't there been a remaster or re-release of that series though?  I mean, FUCK.  I'd love to play them again.  I do remember 5 being good (especially a good thing coming off Suiko4's notoriety), but having a few things that really bugged me.  The plot took waaaaaaaaaaaay too long to get rolling but also everything felt kinda....eh.  The graphics, the music, the battle felt (if we had to go numerically for a review lets say) like a 75% (B-grade) in every category.  I really gotta replay the game though and re-evaluate it --- mainly because I know Mongoosey holds the game in high regard.

To this day:
= I think the Suikoden II cover art is DIVINE
= We'll never know what's fully up with Yuber....will we?? :(

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1749 on: August 29, 2014, 06:57:31 PM »

HOLY EFFING SHIT!
The new LoL patcher interface is craaaaaaaaaazy.

I don't even know what I'm looking at o_O

We could make an entire topic of "things that in the end were never explained or followed up on in games"
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1750 on: August 29, 2014, 08:02:05 PM »

But seriously...How the hell hasn't there been a remaster or re-release of that series though?  I mean, FUCK.  I'd love to play them again.  I do remember 5 being good (especially a good thing coming off Suiko4's notoriety), but having a few things that really bugged me.  The plot took waaaaaaaaaaaay too long to get rolling but also everything felt kinda....eh.  The graphics, the music, the battle felt (if we had to go numerically for a review lets say) like a 75% (B-grade) in every category.  I really gotta replay the game though and re-evaluate it --- mainly because I know Mongoosey holds the game in high regard.

To this day:

The problem really lies with Konami not having the money/man power/know how/source code/effort/skill/shits and/or fucks to give to ever bother. They pretty much need to keel over or wind up in such dire shit to want to sell the IP off to Nintendo or thereabouts before we ever see a remastered Suikoden anything in the next 20+ years.

Also we'll never know what was up with Jenne either.

Xenoblade Chronicles - Just did some quests so I'll be ready when I want to move on with the story. I like when I do a quest where I have everything already, especially if its a 5-part scavenger hunt. =P

Where are you on this? I ask because unless you're advancing in on the Mechonis, you really don't need to do sidequests at all and in fact shouldn't do them all in one go since you'll get way too overleveled and turn the better part of the game into a cakewalk.

As for what I've been doing, its been cussing at Serenes Forest's data in regards to inheritance because my most recent comparison has revealed to me that either some of their numbers or their calculation formula are wrong. Fortunately, I still have the hard data points necessary from my previous runs to recalculate later on, but its gonna take me a couple of runs to find out why my numbers are coming up so wrong before I can make any more progress towards this endeavor.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1751 on: August 29, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »

We could make an entire topic of "things that in the end were never explained or followed up on in games"

There's a lot of 'little topics' like this I've been *dying* (not lit.) to make but just can't imagine it'd work too well.  But I have always wanted to make a thread about "little things" like that or other 'notable noticeables'.

The problem really lies with Konami not having the money/man power/know how/source code/effort/skill/shits and/or fucks to give to ever bother. They pretty much need to keel over or wind up in such dire shit to want to sell the IP off to Nintendo or thereabouts before we ever see a remastered Suikoden anything in the next 20+ years.

Also we'll never know what was up with Jenne either.

I died. xD

And shit forgot about her. And Viki too for that matter.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1752 on: August 29, 2014, 09:14:03 PM »

Where are you on this? I ask because unless you're advancing in on the Mechonis, you really don't need to do sidequests at all and in fact shouldn't do them all in one go since you'll get way too overleveled and turn the better part of the game into a cakewalk.

I'm at the end of the Satori Marsh. I've actually have been skimping on quests up till now, so I'm doing some so I can stop getting clobbered...and won't have to do too many quests for a while afterwards. In fact, the only reason I did these quests was because despite being a generally annoying place, this game is so fun to explore, and some of these quests forced me to enter areas I might've avoided since the marsh is sort spread out and you can miss a lot of monsters if you just take the main road to the gate.

Gee golly mickey that is quite a rotation that you've got going there. Paint me impressed.

If that were my gaming agenda I'd go bonkers. It took me my whole adult life to manage a 3 game rotation. LoL.

And this week for me there was NO rotation whatsoever. I played the hell out of Xillia 2. Can't put it down.

Actually, I don't usually have "rotations" - I play one or two "main games" and then I play a smattering of other games in between to satisfy my ADD. =P

But I see I forgot to mention: Most of those games were played so I could test my brother's fancy TV, which I'm borrowing for a while. (He hardly ever used it anyways...) In fact, I still have two or three more games to test out because I feel like it.

My main games are:

Diablo III: UEE (just bought it and playing it with my bro while he's here for the weekend)
Final Fantasy XII (I want to beat it before TGS because I still have 2/3rds of the FF series to finish...)
Fallout: New Vegas (Despite being not as good/well-paced as Fallout 3...it actually runs well on my computer, unlike Fallout 3)
realMyst (Because it's easily the most interesting game I've ever played, weird movement aside)

I have a feeling I can add Fragile Dreams once I get to it. I'll probably cycle through the other 6 every once in a while, but then again, I might not.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:24:19 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1753 on: August 29, 2014, 09:37:25 PM »

Suikoden V has my favorite characters. That's why I love it so much. I also love Falena, the plot is great and it brought back the battle system we had been waiting on since 2. Including the upgrades 3 brought in. It's everything 4 lacks. I barely knew 4's characters, the Island Nations barely had any identity other than being on islands, the plot was rushed and anti-climactic.

Some complaints are totally legit. I don't think the load times are annoyingly long, they are just there and places like Raftfleet like Dice said are annoying to navigate because of it. Raftfleet is pretty much an exception in that though. Beside the Headquarters, most towns are 2 or 3 large screens wide and don't require a lot of loading.

Graphics are subpar. Unite attacks don't look particularly special, they they are powerful.

If you want 108 stars your practically required to read a guide. So many are only available for a short window of time, and their prerequisites can get pretty redonkulous. (FILTHY GODWIN DEVILS!!!)

The plot starts off slow. I don't view it as a negative because I DON'T think it's boring. Slow to get to going and incredibly dull are two different things. At the very beginning we are thrown into the Lordlake situation with no information at all until we slowly unravel the mystery surrounding it. From arriving back at Sol-Falena and meeting Arshtat and her situation, a lot of it super cool world building. We meet so many important characters that get their payoffs later and I love that kind of stuff. It's like Game of Thrones.

All of this stuff is subject to it being 2:30 am and be being very sleepy.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1754 on: August 29, 2014, 09:38:37 PM »

If you want 108 stars your practically required to read a guide. So many are only available for a short window of time, and their prerequisites can get pretty redonkulous. (FILTHY GODWIN DEVILS!!!)

Isn't that every Suikoden though?
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 169 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: