Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1960846 times)

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2014, 04:30:21 PM »
Played through Brothers, it was free on PS Plus and it was a good game.
Also beat Super Bomberman 4 with my bro and that game is awesome like all super bomberman games on SFC.
And also have been playing Golden Axe II with him but we havent beaten the final boss without game overing :(
Now moving on to Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, the last metal gear I need to play besides the upcoming Ground Zeroes.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »
Final Fantasy IV The After the Years is officially (in my book) a straight up mechanical mess.

I just finished the Lunarian chapter today. To reiterate what I've said all along, it had some AWESOME writing coupled with such troubling gameplay I don't know even know where to begin complaining about it.

Not to say it doesn't have its high points... The bosses in the lunarian chapter were fabulous. Challenging and engaging enough to hardly leave an opportunity to ash my cigarette!!

I can't say I'm altogether dissapointed though. Truly I have to say I'm still enjoying my time with the game. It is just so hard to ignore the faults present in it because they slap you in the face with them every time the dialogue stops and you need to go to a new (old) dungeon (again).

@ Klutz: don't be discouraged with how much TaY bashing I have been doing. I still deem it a worthwhile experience for anyone who is a IV fan. Also I completely disagree with the popular opinion that it is akin to lackluster fan-fiction. Plot-wise, this is the most solid FF sequel to date IMO.

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2014, 05:59:07 PM »
Dice, if you are talking about the "memory/dream" sequences I LOVE them, not all are great but they add so much depth to the characters.
Everything's Eventual

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2014, 11:35:38 PM »
MGS3 - Beat The End. OH THERMAL GOGGLES IS THERE NOTHING YOU CAN'T SOLVE.

Euro Truck Sim 2 - FUCK POLAND.

Soul Hackers - I did the first sort of boss fight with Guitar Billy?
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2014, 02:09:18 AM »
I'm kind of broke, so I mostly have just been playing older games over the last year. I did play Link Between Worlds though. What a great game! I loved the 2D/3D mechanic, and the fun adventurous romp it was. It didn't get bogged down like some of the other recent entries have done, most notably toward the beginning of the game. I loved it so much I played through it twice! Luckily, I guess I've grown up enough that it doesn't bother me that Nintendo's already mucked with the timeline they outlined in Hyrule Historia...or maybe it does. *Grumble, Grumble.*

As for the older games, I've been playing StarFox 64 a lot recently on my Wii. I've known this game was great from it's initial release. I'd rent it often back in the days of Hollywood Video and Blockbuster in the late 90s. But I'm not sure I realized just how nearly perfect it is until just recently. It has mostly great level design, is as easy or as challenging as you want it to be, and is completely replayable. I can finish a game in usually 45-60 minutes and each time I'm satisfied even if I have the game down pretty well at this point. I have been playing in Expert Mode on occasion. I've completed the easy route a few times, but it is quite difficult when your wings are so fragile that colliding with something or getting hit by a missile breaks them off. The laser upgrades are a necessity. I've gotten pretty good at avoiding objects, teammates, and etc. in the early levels, but it is rough. I really struggle with the easy route boss on Venom, but I'm making strides. I'm just glad Macbeth (my favorite level in the game) isn't that much harder since I don't have to worry about breaking off the wings of the Arwing.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 14, 2014, 11:38:17 AM »
I finished Escha and Logy. I enjoyed it a lot more than Ayesha. Probably because it was much easier to manage my time. I hated feeling unsure if I was wasting my time or not in Ayesha.

I played as Escha, though in the end I doubt it mattered which character I picked.

Favourite Character: Threia. She was my powerhouse in battles late game. Her Catastrophe attack + Escha's Double Draw II Book of Knowledge could basically finish any boss from half health.

Least Favourite character: Lucile. She never made much of an impression on me, but I'm sure some people out there enjoy her cuteness. Also her abilities were mostly healing, which is very overshadowed when you have TWO alchemists in your party that can do healing 100x better than her.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:40:30 AM by Starmongoose »

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »
I haven't been playing A Link Between Worlds as much as I'd like to, but I did manage to finish the desert palace last night. Another great dungeon. This game is rocking! They really did a bang up job designing these dungeons, and incorporating the "link as a painting" mechanic.
I like how unique the music has been as well.
I'm trying to find my way into the dungeon with the entrance covered by water. There's that big ass rock with the crack in it that I'm pretty sure I need to blow up, but what a pain it would be to lead the big bomb thing all the way there! Unless there's another way? Not sure.
Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 14, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »

Least Favourite character: Lucile. She never made much of an impression on me, but I'm sure some people out there enjoy her cuteness. Also her abilities were mostly healing, which is very overshadowed when you have TWO alchemists in your party that can do healing 100x better than her.

I took her dragon killing once and that worked out surprisingly well. Water based skills work well against those fire breathers and hers fills up the support gauge quite nicely, which, of course, helped me set up double draw for massive damage.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 14, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »

I took her dragon killing once and that worked out surprisingly well. Water based skills work well against those fire breathers and hers fills up the support gauge quite nicely, which, of course, helped me set up double draw for massive damage.

I can see that working, yeah. I think my Linca had a weapon with Dragon Slayer and 4-God Attack and Comet Attack on it by that point, so i wasn't finding them particularly difficult anyway.

Also, am I the only one disappointing they stop learning skills at like level 30? I feel like there should be at least one final attack at level 50 or something.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 14, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
Yeah, the menu has enough space for four skills... I'm not disappointed with the skills available (a good variaty of one enemy/area and every character has his/her own roles to play), but that empty space is annoying.

Never had much trouble with dragons either BTW. It's those bosses in the west that took several atempts to beat.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 14, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Yeah, the menu has enough space for four skills... I'm not disappointed with the skills available (a good variaty of one enemy/area and every character has his/her own roles to play), but that empty space is annoying.

Never had much trouble with dragons either BTW. It's those bosses in the west that took several atempts to beat.

Yeah those were a bitch until I learned the joy of synthesizing that item that gives you 3 attacks every turn. It was awful trying to get the Water Element in that tiny space to make it though.

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
  • The real me exists on the internet!
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »
A good day so far for me in gaming. Gridning weapons in Atelier Totori is going well, and I had my first Moon landing in Kerbal Space Program in which nothing blew up and nobody died. As a bonus, I got my brave Kerbal back home without any issue as well. It only took me 75 hours of game time to have an incident free landing.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 14, 2014, 04:05:24 PM »
Good God! You guys DEVOURED Escha and Dodgy!! I didn't even start it yet (jealous)... gotta finish FF TaY first...

Thought I would blitz through TaY final chapter. I'm happy to report however, that is NOT the case. The final chapter REALLY opens up boy. There is hope for the gameplay yet... maybe...

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2014, 04:15:47 PM »
Good God! You guys DEVOURED Escha and Dodgy!! I didn't even start it yet (jealous)... gotta finish FF TaY first...

Thought I would blitz through TaY final chapter. I'm happy to report however, that is NOT the case. The final chapter REALLY opens up boy. There is hope for the gameplay yet... maybe...

Well, we got it earlier than the US. We are in Europe.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:10 PM »
^^^ oops on my part... I thought Europe got it a few days after the US. As the cool kids would say "my bad".