Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1958467 times)

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
  • The real me exists on the internet!
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #270 on: March 17, 2014, 12:10:38 PM »
Not interested in another go? x)

With so many other games out there to play, I rarely re-play any game. I ended up watching the other endings on youtube :p

CluelessWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 17, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
Bought 999 on ios last night even though I own the ds version.  I figure I should support visual novels when I can.  Plus I heard hey added a flow chart and took out the puzzles which can make faster run throughs for me.
Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 17, 2014, 01:33:20 PM »
I have a terrible habit of starting new games. sigh.

Just started Final Fantasy II on my PSP. Going to give this an actual go this time. About an hour and half into it, and it's not as bad as people make it out to be....so far.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:51 PM »
Just started Final Fantasy II on my PSP. Going to give this an actual go this time. About an hour and half into it, and it's not as bad as people make it out to be....so far.

I've always stood my ground that FFII is certainly worth playing. I enjoyed my time with it. It is not for everyone, though and certainly one of the weaker FF mainline titles. I'd rather play it again than any FFXIII game though haha.

Went back and played bunch of Assassin's Creed IV over the weekend now that Bravely Default is done. I'm approaching 50% completion according to the title screen. I'm really enjoying this game even though I've only played the first. I love all the sailing and pirate stuff. The assassin stuff is ok, but not as fun. Unfortunately this game will be put on hold again tomorrow because FFX HD is coming out and I have been waiting on that thing forever. Might go back and forth between the two.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:00:29 PM by Blace »

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 17, 2014, 01:59:34 PM »

I don't think FF II is bad.  It's just not stellar in any category, and the development system is a failed experiment that is easy to exploit.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 17, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »

I don't think FF II is bad.  It's just not stellar in any category, and the development system is a failed experiment that is easy to exploit.

Gameplay wise it's nothing out of the ordinary. It was groundbreaking for the medium as far as the narrative goes tho. You have impactful character deaths, plot twists, an interesting villain and a great fantasy world. Emperor Mateus is one of the better FF villains. I could go into more detail about this but Im too tired right now.
It also has a godlike OST and the remakes(especially PSP) made the game extremely playable and enjoyable.

Very impressive for it's time.
@CluelessWonder if you never played 999 you are missing a great deal by ditching the interactive nature of the actual game, the iOS thing is a full on book with visuals and music. It's fine for replays but I will argue that it will severely impact the OOOMPH of the narrative with the removed things. There are some hassles to overcome in the DS version but it's hassles that do not warrant sacrificing the entire gameplay.
All things considered, the DS version is the superior narrative and superior experience.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:08:53 PM by Holykael1 »

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 17, 2014, 02:24:38 PM »
DAYUM, just reached Experimental Staff Power level in Lost Odyssey and DAYUM...difficulty level shot through the roof!
Everything's Eventual

CluelessWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 17, 2014, 03:01:44 PM »
I actually finished 999 3x but never got a good ending.  I really should have used a walkthrough the last time.  I got frustrated having to do the puzzles over and still having bad endings.  I think the ios one will be good for me. 
Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 17, 2014, 03:24:02 PM »

I don't think FF II is bad.  It's just not stellar in any category, and the development system is a failed experiment that is easy to exploit.

The one thing about FF II is that it's difficulty curve isn't so much of a slope as it is an exponential curve. Basically, at the start of the game, the only threats to you will be those imperial stormtroopers all over the place, and you wont find much of a challenge until you hit Gordon's old pad where trash mobs will no longer be complete pushovers (they're still pushovers, just not complete ones). The next spike will occur around the time Hilda is kidnapped where attrition starts to become a problem and you're running into those stormtroopers again, after that is the trip to Mystida where undead and flan type enemies start showing up in force and both are fuckers depending on how you raised your team, then around the Cyclone and the Imperial Palace, the undead enemies get an upgrade and you'll be completely screwed if you raised your HP totals too high, and finally is the Jade Passage and the final dungeon Pandemonium where anything that isn't undead is now capable of one shotting you through other means (bringing them almost on par with the undead enemies). Of course, conversely, the final boss and the four bosses before him are more or less chumps in the grand scheme of things, especially if you found both Blood Swords (the drain mechanics in this game are completely insane and is the source of the lion's share of the game's difficulty since pretty much all undead enemies sport it).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 17, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »

The one thing about FF II is that it's difficulty curve isn't so much of a slope as it is an exponential curve. Basically, at the start of the game, the only threats to you will be those imperial stormtroopers all over the place, and you wont find much of a challenge until you hit Gordon's old pad where trash mobs will no longer be complete pushovers (they're still pushovers, just not complete ones). The next spike will occur around the time Hilda is kidnapped where attrition starts to become a problem and you're running into those stormtroopers again, after that is the trip to Mystida where undead and flan type enemies start showing up in force and both are fuckers depending on how you raised your team, then around the Cyclone and the Imperial Palace, the undead enemies get an upgrade and you'll be completely screwed if you raised your HP totals too high, and finally is the Jade Passage and the final dungeon Pandemonium where anything that isn't undead is now capable of one shotting you through other means (bringing them almost on par with the undead enemies). Of course, conversely, the final boss and the four bosses before him are more or less chumps in the grand scheme of things, especially if you found both Blood Swords (the drain mechanics in this game are completely insane and is the source of the lion's share of the game's difficulty since pretty much all undead enemies sport it).

I don't know what version you played but I thought the psp version was really well balanced difficulty wise. I breezed through the game in about 20 hours without grinding, I simply went from place to place(there was a fair share of wandering around not knowing where the fuck to go though).
FFV/XIII/XIII-3 were much more challenging I find but even those are not frustratingly difficult or anything.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 17, 2014, 04:28:52 PM »

I don't know what version you played but I thought the psp version was really well balanced difficulty wise. I breezed through the game in about 20 hours without grinding, I simply went from place to place(there was a fair share of wandering around not knowing where the fuck to go though).
FFV/XIII/XIII-3 were much more challenging I find but even those are not frustratingly difficult or anything.

I'm referring to the PSX version, and I basically forsook grinding in that particular playthrough. Seriously, the game isn't that hard and there's enough game breaking tools to bypass most of the challenge eventually, but that doesn't change the dramatic changes that the difficulty level can go through from one dungeon to the next. You can easily break the majority of the game by heading down to Mystida early, since once you get the canoe, nothing really stops you from doing so outside of the random enemy encounters, and the town stocks late game gear and spells.

I'm just referring to the biggest trap which lies within the concept of hitting yourself over the head with your own weapons/spells since that's the quickest way to raise your HP totals and screwing yourself in the late-to-endgame (and is really boring to boot).

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 17, 2014, 05:06:11 PM »
Worst Final Fantasy difficulty spike is in the third one. Nothing before the final dungeon is all that difficult. And then the Crystal World comes along and stomps you into mush.

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 17, 2014, 06:04:59 PM »
Worst Final Fantasy difficulty spike is in the third one. Nothing before the final dungeon is all that difficult. And then the Crystal World comes along and stomps you into mush.
The worst part is the final boss and no save points in the final dungeon.  Then you die and go straight to the title screen.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 17, 2014, 06:07:47 PM »

Pretty much all of FFIII's endgame is one massive slog. First dungeon houses the final crystal, netting you jobs that are either irrelevant or will soon become so as you make your way to the back of that shrine to the last save/tent point in the game, then you have to enter the Crystal Tower, slip into its basement to get into the Forbidden Land Eureka, descend like 10+ floors of that to get to the game's final shops and jobs as well as picking up every legendary weapon/piece of equipment you come across along the way and having to fight a midboss for each and every piece (and the jobs), then you have to all the way back up to the Crystal Tower, exit, heal, save, and then start climbing 7+ floors hoping to run into/not to run into fucking dragons, fight the boss on top of the tower, lose the unwinnable plot fight, then start in on the World of Darkness where you could either opt to simply take your chances against a fully powered Cloud of Darkness or to take your chances against the dungeon itself, it's four midbosses (each of which is probably just as nasty or even nastier than the guy you just fought to get here), and then a weaker Cloud of Darkness.

Actually, it seems to be a general rule that Final Fantasy endgames must suck (although VI, VII, and IX's weren't too bad). But yeah, nothing in the series beats III's endgame for worst endgame in the series.

Reta

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 17, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »

Pretty much all of FFIII's endgame is one massive slog. First dungeon houses the final crystal, netting you jobs that are either irrelevant or will soon become so as you make your way to the back of that shrine to the last save/tent point in the game, then you have to enter the Crystal Tower, slip into its basement to get into the Forbidden Land Eureka, descend like 10+ floors of that to get to the game's final shops and jobs as well as picking up every legendary weapon/piece of equipment you come across along the way and having to fight a midboss for each and every piece (and the jobs), then you have to all the way back up to the Crystal Tower, exit, heal, save, and then start climbing 7+ floors hoping to run into/not to run into fucking dragons, fight the boss on top of the tower, lose the unwinnable plot fight, then start in on the World of Darkness where you could either opt to simply take your chances against a fully powered Cloud of Darkness or to take your chances against the dungeon itself, it's four midbosses (each of which is probably just as nasty or even nastier than the guy you just fought to get here), and then a weaker Cloud of Darkness.

Actually, it seems to be a general rule that Final Fantasy endgames must suck (although VI, VII, and IX's weren't too bad). But yeah, nothing in the series beats III's endgame for worst endgame in the series.
Actually, if you fight Cloud of Darkness without fighting the lesser bosses first, her Particle Beam always deals 9999 damage. It's not optional.