Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:49:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340968 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 181 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 81892 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: March 29, 2014, 04:10:29 AM »

Final Fantasy X

= I love the gradual build up to the sort-of war sequence from Mi'gen to Mushroom rock.   Well done!  It felt realistic!  Till afterwards where you're like "Well fuck, that backfired....let's carry on with the original plan then!"
= No beef at all with new OST when it's combined with the "sounds and fury" of the in-game haps.  Besaid going somber kinda sucks, but eh.  I'm cool with it. :)
...now, if it was a Kingdom Hearts HD type of redone OST, then WOO, that'd have been nice.  Shimomura is wonderful and nailed her second go at KH1.
= Whoever the people are in charge of enemy movements and animating is aaamazing.  I've always loved the way the turtle-type enemy goes limp when you kill it...and the Flan monster that just ooze out.
= Eugh.  I'm gonna do some backtracking.  Apparently you can go right back to Besaid still and I wanna get some Blitz players
= I feel this game could be a million times better if the script wasn't so lousy.  The lore and world itself are wonderful.  The characters and "acting" are just all sorts of awkward... 
= You go Tidus.... You swim after the giant whale-sized Sin.  Good luck with that...you twat.
= Not to keep nit-picking, but if Seymour got rid of those fucking pigtails, he'd actually be a pretty cool looking character.  WTF ARE THOSE SPIKES THOUGH!?  HOW?!  WHY?!?!  DO THEY PROVIDE HBO?!  I BET THEY DO.

- Actually the Operation Mi'hen bit was less 'total war' and more 'a bunch of Crusaders are done with Sin's shit and are willing to give the Al's Bed a shot even if it means getting excommunicated or killed'. The three big takeaways are that Sin is NOT fucking around (and establishing his credible threat against an organized force like the JSDF Cursaders), the Maesters are assholes (both Seymour and the other guy knew the plan was half-assed and doomed from the start due to Bevelle sitting on top of a bunch of rather useful information about Sin and Spira in general, being the corrupt church and all, and were really only there to sit back and munch on some popcorn while watching a bunch of heretics get what's comin' to them), and that if Yuna wants to find another way then she's got to find a fully assed one that passes Sin's 'you must be this powerful to not get instawiped' test. Though I will concede the Japanese War Camp that they had going on at their Central Command was very much a Japanese War Camp.
- As far as backtracking is concerned, you can't go any further than back to Luca prior to Operation Mi'hen. Believe me, I've tried.
- Tidus swimming after Sin was pretty dumb, but at least he got to spend some quality time with his dad, Luzzu, and Bahamut on The Farplane.
- And Seymour's weird antenna feelers are totally because Spira totally needed an xenophobic asshat not-elves race to go with their tall not-dwarves and their hardly any different from regular human aside from the masks/seashell irises not-halflings/half-elves/other common fantasy oppressed minority, and they didn't feel like going with rubber headridges that look like an ass glued to their foreheads. Either way, I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck is going on with his chest.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: March 29, 2014, 08:37:58 AM »

Final Fantasy X

= Not to keep nit-picking, but if Seymour got rid of those fucking pigtails, he'd actually be a pretty cool looking character.  WTF ARE THOSE SPIKES THOUGH!?  HOW?!  WHY?!?!  DO THEY PROVIDE HBO?!  I BET THEY DO.

They look awesome.. Fuck gravity. I would be royally pissed if he had no spikes.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: March 29, 2014, 10:05:54 AM »

Final Fantasy X

= Whoever the people are in charge of enemy movements and animating is aaamazing.  I've always loved the way the turtle-type enemy goes limp when you kill it...and the Flan monster that just ooze out.

I love how Behemoths curl up like a giant purple puppy when you put them to sleep!

I just made it to the Zanarkand dome. I really love that initial trek where "Someday the Dream Will End" plays even during battles. It really helps build up the tension the party is going through.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: March 29, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »

Final Fantasy X

I love how Behemoths curl up like a giant purple puppy when you put them to sleep!

I just made it to the Zanarkand dome. I really love that initial trek where "Someday the Dream Will End" plays even during battles. It really helps build up the tension the party is going through.

One of my favourite moments in the entire game.. Incidentally I prefer the original version of the music over the remastered track.. that was one of my favourites but oh well it's still beautiful. Seymour's new boss battle theme makes up for it.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: March 29, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »

Final Fantasy X

= I love the gradual build up to the sort-of war sequence from Mi'gen to Mushroom rock.   Well done!  It felt realistic!  Till afterwards where you're like "Well fuck, that backfired....let's carry on with the original plan then!"
= No beef at all with new OST when it's combined with the "sounds and fury" of the in-game haps.  Besaid going somber kinda sucks, but eh.  I'm cool with it. :)
...now, if it was a Kingdom Hearts HD type of redone OST, then WOO, that'd have been nice.  Shimomura is wonderful and nailed her second go at KH1.
= Eugh.  I'm gonna do some backtracking.  Apparently you can go right back to Besaid still and I wanna get some Blitz players
= I feel this game could be a million times better if the script wasn't so lousy.  The lore and world itself are wonderful.  The characters and "acting" are just all sorts of awkward... 
= You go Tidus.... You swim after the giant whale-sized Sin.  Good luck with that...you twat.

The more I play this game the more I dig the new OST. Some spots aren't as good, like Besaid which you mentioned, but others are fantastic. I've made significant progress since I last posted yesterday. Beat the chocobo race and completely powered up the Caladbolg. I got 15 ballons, 1 bird, and 35.9 seconds which was way under the required 0.00 finally! As annoying as that race it, nothing is quite as satisfying as finally beating something like that. I felt like a god for awhile :) I also beat the cactuar minigame in the desert and completely powered up Rikku's Godhand. Now I'm working on powering up Auron's. You have to get every enemy from 10 spots and I have all of them from 9. After that I need to find some items that break the HP limit because I'm already sitting at 9999 and have activate multiple HP sphere's past that. Training is so easy now. Went into the Omega Ruins and got the final Al Bhed Primer and got the nice gold trophy for it. Not sure what to do next, maybe blitzball for Wakka or dodging 200 bolts.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: March 29, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »

Finished peace walker yday. Today I found out about the existence of a true ending which led me into a state of unbelievable rage and despair. HOW COULD HAVE I MISSED IT.(I didnt really fall into despair but I like dramatizing the situation). I didnt think much of the game storywise, the ending I got was good and all but the actual story was kind of bland and uneventful until I saw that fucking true ending on youtube that blew my mind. Also I wathced ground zeroes on youtube, I wish I hadnt because I would have preferred to play it.. 30 dollar demo or not.. I was really satisfied with what I saw storywise, a big cocktease but awesome. And also if you make the stupid mistake of skipping peace walker you wont know wtf is going on in MGS 5 so don't do that.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: March 29, 2014, 03:58:09 PM »

Finished peace walker yday. Today I found out about the existence of a true ending which led me into a state of unbelievable rage and despair. HOW COULD HAVE I MISSED IT.(I didnt really fall into despair but I like dramatizing the situation). I didnt think much of the game storywise, the ending I got was good and all but the actual story was kind of bland and uneventful until I saw that fucking true ending on youtube that blew my mind. Also I wathced ground zeroes on youtube, I wish I hadnt because I would have preferred to play it.. 30 dollar demo or not.. I was really satisfied with what I saw storywise, a big cocktease but awesome. And also if you make the stupid mistake of skipping peace walker you wont know wtf is going on in MGS 5 so don't do that.

Damnit now I have to play Peacewalker because I want to play MGS5. Did it come in the Legacy Collection for PS3 last year? I bought that for later use and don't remember if it came with it or not. I hope so.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: March 29, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »

PW was in the remastered set with 2, 3, and PW.

I should maybe try finishing MGS3 before letting myself get distracted by Suikoden 3 and the new Umihara Kawase game. Inazuma's Eleven looks interesting too :TTT

See this is my problem. I have two mindsets: Everything is awful and I don't want to do anything, or EVERYTHING IS AMAZING AND I WANT TO DO EVERYTHING.

--- edit ---

Suik 3 - Up to Vinay del Zexay in Hugo's chapter. I can't tell if I find this any more interesting than the first two yet. I like the way that pairs/combos work, and runes seem more varied, but the area design I've seen so far has been rather empty and it's still pretty MASH AUTOBATTLE TO WIN.

Oh well imma check out Umihara Kawase now.

--- edit ---

@ guybelow:

Does anyone have any idea why one of the high-tier mantras in Digital Devil Saga is called "Wikipedia?"

DDS was localized before Atlus ate all of Working Designs' former staff, so no idea.

Also I like Cielo -- I remember him being really useful to me in the last battle

--- edit ---

Shining Force 3 - Did the train level while waiting for UK to download. Lost Dantares from the boss getting a crit -- which sucked cause his friend levels dropped -- and the bird dude in that chokepoint, which wasn't a big deal cause they don't have friendship levels. Anyway I forgot how adorable the bird soldiers were~~~

Umihara Kawase - There's a backpack in stage 2 I can't get and I think I saw a secret door on the tutorial level I can't get to either.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:33:11 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: March 29, 2014, 05:47:48 PM »

See this is my problem. I have two mindsets: Everything is awful and I don't want to do anything, or EVERYTHING IS AMAZING AND I WANT TO DO EVERYTHING.

Ugh, same here. That's why when I do play games, half the time it's just a little of a lot of stuff, instead of just one or two games that I play through to completion...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: March 29, 2014, 06:14:42 PM »

Does anyone have any idea why one of the high-tier mantras in Digital Devil Saga is called "Wikipedia?"  I checked around some forums; its Japanese name is Kunitsukami (which makes sense, as another mantra in the same wheelhouse is called Amatsukami), but... I have no idea why it was changed.  Was it a placeholder that they accidentally left in?  Some kind of inside joke? 

Well, anyhow, my team is in the mid 30s in levels, and I'm in the Deserted Ship.  Not a fan of Cielo - I miss having Argilla around in a bad way. 

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: March 29, 2014, 07:29:39 PM »

Got really lucky in FFX and did a perfect run in Chocobo Catcher after just 5 tries, thus gaining Tidus' Saladbowl. Now I just need to make some cash to start working on my grinding weapons.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: March 29, 2014, 09:44:30 PM »

Final Fantasy X

= I've always loved the music at Guadosalem...very moody

= Which reminds me.  Tidus is surprised by a lot of what he sees.  Does anything explain why the world changed so much between Tidus' Spira and the one we play in 1,000 years later?  Or was Tidus just shut inside Zanarkand and unexposed to the rest of the world??

= Along with what Aeolus mentions, yeah well observed.  You countered me being a smart ass with a definite highlight of the whole Op Mi'hen plot.  Religious folks used it as a plot to make people more religious (and it worked given the NPC commentary after)

= God that reminds me.... I love how generally wonderful the main cast looks, but I get a good giggle out of some of the NPC faces.

= I love Maechen's voice....It amuses me.

= Seymour's VA is great too.  Nails that 'character type'.

= I get angry that nothing ever explains the miraculous breath holding underwater in this game. >:(  *shakes fist*  I almost feel it was a perfect opportunity to say "a sphere does it" as you stick balls in your mouth (HEYO).

= Shit those Al Bhed primers are easy to miss.

= Bull-fucking-shit.  Wakka is ONLY 23?  He looks like he's in his 30s, and sounds like one given his "retirement" from Blitzball.  Tidus too looks pretty 'built' compared to your average 17 year old.

= I wonder if the priests at Djose know their temple is fucking badass looking compared to others.

= FFX-3: Dual story of Yuna and Friends and reliving the days with Jecht, Auron, and Braska.  Woooooooo (with xtra DLC of Tidus and Yuna shipwrecked and getting blown up).  But seriously, I wonder if they're planning on a "three-quel".
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:46:34 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: March 29, 2014, 10:12:57 PM »

Decided to just finish up the story in FFX so I can do sidequests without feeling guilty. I still destroyed the final bosses in like a few hits... but I made up for it in my teen years when I sucked at games. I had only the 5 original Aeons and none of the celestial weapons and it took me like 20 tries to beat Braska's Final Aeon so this is sweet revenge for my misery back then haha. I absolutely love the ending to this game. Hits you right in the gut multiple times with the Jecht & Tidus relationship and the Yuna & Tidus relationship. I thought it was awesome that Jecht and Tidus high five when he joins them all. I totally forgot about that. I understand why Tidus resents and loves his father because I have a similar relationship to my father (which I why I think I crown this my favorite of the series). My dad was around, but he never wanted to do anything with me (mom and dad were divorced when I was 3) and I had to beg him to take me for weekends and then he wouldn't show up. As much as I don't have a relationship with him (we barely talk at all and we live in the same town and I am ALWAYS the one who has to contact him, he never even tries) I don't hate him and hope that he doesn't hate me for not trying when it always ends up going nowhere. Sorry for going deep on ya guys haha.

@Dice: I totally agree about the underwater breathing thing. Only part about this game that really nags out me. I just assume they all have gills hidden under that fantastic hair.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: March 29, 2014, 10:22:41 PM »

I didn't even notice Aeolus' post, and I kind of want to address his last point:

I LOVE the races of Spira. I love that they're all so different from what you would typically find for fantasy races. Even the Ronso have enough distinguishing features to elevate them above simply being "cat people" It's one of the many reasons I was so drawn into Spira the first time I played the game. It's also one of the reasons I want to go apeshit on that developer that "confirmed" FFX/X-2 is a distant prequel to FFVII. Fuck that noise.

Also, despite the poor writing, every once in a while the game spouts a gem. My absolute favorite line in the game is right before confronting Yunalesca: "This is my story... It'll go the way I want it, or I'll end it here."
Words to live by.

Debating starting FFX-2 since I'm on the endgame of FFX so I don't get burnt out on grinding AP.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: March 29, 2014, 10:43:46 PM »

You guys are making me want to re-play FFX soooo bad...and I have such a ridiculous backlog of games, lol

Everything's Eventual
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 181 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: