Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1960896 times)

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #555 on: April 03, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »
You talk like Lulu's Fury overdrive is useful.

I'm confused about that...
(1a) Why does it do so little damage
(1b) Who thought that was a good idea?
(2) Why the fuck can't I do more than 8 rotations???

It's actually really good late game. Break damage limit with max magic on ultima and you are doing massive damage 8 times. Her, Wakka, and Tidus have the best overdrives for damage.

Anyway, I'm on the last monster I need to have 5 of every one in the arena for the 99 Dark Matters... and I can't seem to get them to pop up. It is Varuna in the Omega Dungeons. I have found 3 after hours of grinding in there... so much so that I have caught 10 of every other enemy in there before I found a 4th one of Varuna. WTF Square.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 03, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »
I'm scared I'm going to break my Vita's joystick everytime I attempt Lulu's overdrive. In the end I just have a sore palm, a still living enemy and an unsatisfied feeling.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 03, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »
In the end I just have a sore palm and an unsatisfied feeling.

My brain prefers to read it as this.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 03, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
Getting close to finished with Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. I just need to get a couple more items of the Umbra Gear and round up some miscellaneous Djinn/summons that I either missed or haven't gotten yet. The story kind of fell apart after the Eclipse event, and the last two characters to join the party seem like they were just kind of thrown in to make it eight members. Not complaining though as I am still having a lot of fun playing it.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 03, 2014, 01:28:59 PM »
I honestly haven't played the Golden Sun games since they came out (I was in middle school for crying out loud!) so I don't really remember much of the story. I liked those games alot. Reading that you are enjoying it despite the same problems of playing them so long ago makes we want to buy a copy on Amazon and play it sometime this year (and it looks like it is on the cheap side still).

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #560 on: April 03, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
Getting close to finished with Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. I just need to get a couple more items of the Umbra Gear and round up some miscellaneous Djinn/summons that I either missed or haven't gotten yet. The story kind of fell apart after the Eclipse event, and the last two characters to join the party seem like they were just kind of thrown in to make it eight members. Not complaining though as I am still having a lot of fun playing it.

I generally disliked Tyrell, and was happy to sub in Eoleo even if for no better reason than his name is fun to say.
I didn't use the check with the fancy whatsit on her forehead though.  She felt a bit too little too late.

And if the part about the eclipse bothered you, the ending might frustrate further as to why there hasn't been a second Dark Dawn-era game announced.

Still, I found the game fun as hell for what it was.

And Blace, I say go for it, the game is cheap these days and its a fulfilling handheld experience, IMO.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 03, 2014, 04:29:03 PM »
You know, I wonder how I'd take to Golden Sun nowadays. Before I didn't like the combat because it was too easy and I didn't really have to utilize the system to get by. Also, the story was too wordy and poorly paced, especially the beginning which tries too hard to make you feel bad for characters you haven't even been introduced to yet (or were they barely introduced? Either way it's a major peeve in my book), and it had a lot of Zelda-like puzzles (I love Zelda but I don't love its puzzles).

...actually that still sounds pretty bad, nevermind...

Anyways, I played some more Xenoblade so I could get through the Satori Marsh. Figured out I could change time right from the menu, which made things so fast, I bothered to explore the rest of the marsh.

That was an incredibly unpleasant experience. Poisonous bogs, Giant Sea Turtles, Golden Eagles, and roaming lizardmen abound. And worst of all, the story quest here forced you to go to the worst places in this swamp. Well, except for that one part up above where there are level 80's even during the day...one of the quests also required you fight a whole hoard of lizardmen. No matter how much grinding I did, equipment I obtained, and tactics I used, I could not get even one of them down. It was awful. Screw this place, I got all the items I need, I'm getting out of this freakin' marsh...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 03, 2014, 04:36:18 PM »
^ Satorl marsh is a place I'd actively change the time to be always stuck at nighttime.  Literally, the difference between night and day is like....night and day.

That place does suck though (it's fun to investigate later on though when it's less 'trouble'), the place after is much more pleasant and you should be properly levelled even if you didn't actively peruse the Marsh for treasures, levels, and quests.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 03, 2014, 07:17:39 PM »
Xenoblade

There's a side entrance to the lizards.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 03, 2014, 08:06:22 PM »
Xenoblade

I've been looking everywhere for it ever since I found the key. Not exactly sure where that entrance is, though...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 03, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »
Xenoblade

I've been looking everywhere for it ever since I found the key. Not exactly sure where that entrance is, though...

It literally lines the sides of the building. 

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #566 on: April 03, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
I just recently finished chapter 1 of The Perils of Man, an iOS point-and-click adventure.  The first chapter is available for free from the app store right now and the full game is slated to drop Q2. 

Anyway, I enjoyed this.  It doesn't reinvent the wheel as far the genre is concerned, but it is a stylish adventure that hearkens back to the ol' LucasArts days (probably because some ex-LucasArts staff had a hand in this.)  The puzzles were challenging without being arbitrary or obtuse and I dug the story and characters so far.  I want to experience more.  The only downsides, really, are that some of the voice acting is hammy and subtitles during dialogue scenes sometimes disappeared too quickly.  In addition, this "demo" is pretty short.  I was left wanting more and I want to play the rest of the game to see how the story plays out. 

If you have an iPad and like the genre, I recommend checking this out. 

http://www.perilsofman.com/
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id742987884?mt=8
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 03, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »
You talk like Lulu's Fury overdrive is useful.

I'm confused about that...
(1a) Why does it do so little damage
(1b) Who thought that was a good idea?
(2) Why the fuck can't I do more than 8 rotations???

It's actually really good late game. Break damage limit with max magic on ultima and you are doing massive damage 8 times. Her, Wakka, and Tidus have the best overdrives for damage.

Anyway, I'm on the last monster I need to have 5 of every one in the arena for the 99 Dark Matters... and I can't seem to get them to pop up. It is Varuna in the Omega Dungeons. I have found 3 after hours of grinding in there... so much so that I have caught 10 of every other enemy in there before I found a 4th one of Varuna. WTF Square.

The number of hits Lulu's Fury does is influenced by her Magic stat. Higher Magic means that her gauge fills up faster per rotation. Of course, when you use stronger spells, it takes longer to produce extra hits per rotation, which is probably why most players don't really notice the change.

Anyways, its the only reason why Lulu can't just get straight up replaced by the endgame since Fury can hit for multiple times.

Xenoblade

It literally lines the sides of the building. 

The best suggestion for Satori Marsh is to run through to the end of the region and do the quests/fight the boss needed to move on to the next area, make your way to Makna Forest then turn around and deal with the lizards (by that time you should've accumulated enough Exp/Ap/Sp to be strong enough to fight the Terrible Thunder Lizards).

The secret entrance involves sticking to the edge of the plateau until you can find a trail wrapping around the outside of the fortress's walls.

Also don't forget that before you fight an enemy your Talent Arts slot can cycle to a purple option with an arcing arrow, which is the Throw Stone option. You can aggro some of the lesser lizards out of the main chamber using that and eliminate them before dealing with the boss.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 03, 2014, 11:32:56 PM »
The best suggestion for Satori Marsh is to run through to the end of the region and do the quests/fight the boss needed to move on to the next area, make your way to Makna Forest then turn around and deal with the lizards (by that time you should've accumulated enough Exp/Ap/Sp to be strong enough to fight the Terrible Thunder Lizards).

The secret entrance involves sticking to the edge of the plateau until you can find a trail wrapping around the outside of the fortress's walls.

Also don't forget that before you fight an enemy your Talent Arts slot can cycle to a purple option with an arcing arrow, which is the Throw Stone option. You can aggro some of the lesser lizards out of the main chamber using that and eliminate them before dealing with the boss.

Thanks, that really helped. I completed the quest, then took on the lizards a bit later. Managed to beat the minions one group at a time no problem, but the Godwin was too tough to take down.

Also started Chrono Cross. Liking it so far, but I only just got through the time portal thingie, so I'm not far in.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 03, 2014, 11:35:59 PM »
Hell yes I finally beat Dark Valefor so I went back and unlocked the destruction sphere I missed in the Besaid Trials. Went and got Anima and Magus Sisters as well as Yuna's sigil. I could probably beat a couple more of the Dark Aeons, but I want to finish up the blliztball stuff first so Wakka is useful.