Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1960987 times)

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #570 on: April 04, 2014, 12:31:26 AM »
Suik 3 - Further along in Chris' story. I do like the game but it's doing things that piss me off too. Just kind of a rundown...

+ I'm genuinely liking the story.
+ New combat system's slow, but I like its Grandia-ish qualities, I like the new way Area of Effects spells work, I like the partnering stuff.
+ Skill system's pleasantly Might & Magicish and adds some uniqueness to the characters.

- The area design is really bland and empty and Morrowindish... This might've been true of Suik 1 as well, I don't really remember any particularly interesting areas there. This is probably what's bugging me the most, though. There's nothing to really explore right now.
- I wish I had more control in the strategic battles. As I said, I like the battle system, and I wish I could actually /play/ it there instead of just watching the AI fight.

Also I guess this is more the series as a whole but like, nobody ever shuts up oh god so much talking ffff.

Also for a series that has having a bunch of characters as a major selling point, it feels like you don't start getting into that until way late in the games. Like from what I remember about Suikoden 1, that whole aspect doesn't even really start opening up until maybe like halfway through the game? Comparatively I thought... IDK CC or TLR or Ultima 6 or the SaGa games were a lot better paced in terms of when they started letting you recruit dudes.

LoM - Semi-finished the mod I was working on. Guess I'll start playing through that now.

Umihara Kawase - Practicing on slingshotting myself around and climbing walls vertically I guess.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CluelessWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 04, 2014, 03:18:29 AM »
Fate/extra - Round 5 now.  The difficulty sure ramped up on week 4 (Rin's path).  I kept getting annihilated by the boss until I learned the attack pattern and started  preemptively healing at the end of a round.  The battles are really about pattern recognition.

Thomas Was Alone -  I do like games with narrators.  It harkens back to my love of adventure games and fairy tales.  What I don't like is games involving jumping.  That's right, I do not possess the skills to jump in video games.  I get frustrated when I miss a jump at the top and fall all the way to the bottom, repeatedly.  It will remain in my attempted but not finished game list.
Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 04, 2014, 03:20:51 AM »
SMT IV

Wandered into the Neutral path. Surprised as I was sure I was going to get Chaos.

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 04, 2014, 04:43:12 AM »
Reinstalled D3. Going to give the new patch a spin.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 04, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »
Getting close to finished with Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. I just need to get a couple more items of the Umbra Gear and round up some miscellaneous Djinn/summons that I either missed or haven't gotten yet. The story kind of fell apart after the Eclipse event, and the last two characters to join the party seem like they were just kind of thrown in to make it eight members. Not complaining though as I am still having a lot of fun playing it.

I generally disliked Tyrell, and was happy to sub in Eoleo even if for no better reason than his name is fun to say.
I didn't use the check with the fancy whatsit on her forehead though.  She felt a bit too little too late.

And if the part about the eclipse bothered you, the ending might frustrate further as to why there hasn't been a second Dark Dawn-era game announced.

Still, I found the game fun as hell for what it was.

And Blace, I say go for it, the game is cheap these days and its a fulfilling handheld experience, IMO.

I usually confuse Tyrell for Garret, who I liked in the original, but didn't use because I like Jenna's fire-based psynergy abilities better. Don't really have much choice in that department with Tyrell and Eoleo (what kind of name is that?). I've stuck with Tyrell for now and will probably continue to do so unless I want to muck around with the Djinn to change Eoleo's psynergy abilities.

And yeah, I had thought when this game came out that it was a standalone title, but I realize now that I was wrong about that. I'm already a little irritated, though I'm going to go ahead and finish.

I'm just using a guide to get the Djinn and Summons I don't have yet. Had a fun time fighting the Chaos Magician (I think that's what it was called) on the Lost Ship. The game hasn't been that challenging, and though this boss wasn't particularly challenging it marked the first time in my game so far that I actually had to revive a character. I'll be headed to the Endless Wall after that, so I'll hopefully be finished this weekend.

Finally, I agree with Dice, Blace, that it's worth your while. It's a bit verbose at times, and pretty easy, but an enjoyable game nonetheless.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 04, 2014, 12:55:47 PM »
So FF X HD LE arrived today... I wasnt going to start it right away but..
I broke down and started it.
FF X looks so goooooooooood. Around 3 hours in, Im currently on a boat to Killika.
Tidus model actually looks good, Yuna is ugh.. her eyes... NOOOOO. It's not a big deal, I already got used to it.
Im loving the remastered OST. I didnt like besaid island's new arrangement until I heard it in the game itself, now I love it, it fits the place extremely well. Im already starting to get some nostalgia kicks. The lip syncing isnt as bad as I thought it would be either, I still have zero problems with the voice acting.. The only thing Im afraid will irk me is the encounter rate. Otherwise this is perfect. The menu redesigns are fantastic aswell. Kudos to SE.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 04, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »
It was a toss up for my next purchase between Golden Sun DS or Persona 4 Golden... I went with Persona 4 Golden since I just bought my Vita. I'm almost ready to put FFX to rest and start FFX-2, after that definitely Persona 4 Golden. I have it for PS2, but I don't know where my PS2 is (in storage somewhere probably) and the updated visuals and portability will be nice. Plus it was only 20 bucks. I never did beat it on PS2 either (got in like 35 hours and stopped playing for some reason, same thing I've done with Person 3 twice!! Why can't I stick it through with these games lol).

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 04, 2014, 02:53:17 PM »
Hey Blace, do you know a good source of Fortune Spheres. Still grinding Omega Ruins for a No Encounters armor, but I'm planning my next move, and I definitely need to bribe some Chimera Brains for lvl 4 Key Spheres, but I also need some Fortune Spheres.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 04, 2014, 03:23:59 PM »
Other than finding the 4 in treasure chests throughout the game, the only other way to is defeat the Earth Eater in the arena which drops 2 or so each time.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 04, 2014, 06:20:52 PM »
Just got to mission 13 or 14 in the DmC reboot. I am still coming to terms with the fact that I like this game. It is so "not me" in so many respects but I can't dismiss the fact that it really is addicting. The battle system is pure fluid-button-mashy-goodness and the game itself is proving challenging whilst not annoyingly hard for someone who sucks at games such as this (as I do!).

In other news, Atelier Escha and Logy is a lovely foil to my time with DmC. I am still not far (year 2) and the story has done very little by way of gripping me yet. I think I just got through the primary cast introduction and expect some plot development in the not-so-distant future. I don't expect a gripping narrative with Atelier titles, but this has been quite the bore fest thus far. The cast is sort of weak here as well. I love logy. I love to hate Escha (enough to make her memorable) but I really don't see me writing home about anyone else... the most intriguing of the cast are those returning from Ayesha and sadly not the immediate playable characters (at least IMO). It is however early on, and I remain hopeful my view might change.

The main problem with Atelier Escha and Logy for me is simply that it is NOT scratching my RPG itch. It feels pleasant enough, but I just can't seem to become invested or care enough to feel wrapped up in it yet.

Playing Tales of Vesperia a few months ago has really made me hyper critical of what I have played since..... That one upped the bar for me in a major way it seems...
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 04, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »
So I'm playing FTL again because of the free expansion... and it makes the game oh so much better.

The unlock method for the ships is not completely random anymore, you can unlock them with SKILL.
There's also a fuckton of really nice little things like for example saving crew position and a button for everyone to go back to their spot.

If you liked FTL, update and go back. It's waaaaaay better now.

(I even reseted my game, just to start fresh and unlock with the new method)

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 05, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
Finished SMT IV. Had a lot of fun with it. Probably wait a few months before trying another path.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 05, 2014, 12:31:31 PM »
Suik 3 - Into Geddoe's chapter now.

Umihara Kawase - Unlocked level 10. I'm not actually sure how I managed to pull that off since I did it in a very small number of tries after completely failing at doing the whole vertical scaling thing constantly.

Also I ordered a US copy of Shining Force 3 because it was in a price range I found acceptable and because I'm a consumer whore.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 05, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »
Just reached Luca in FF X. Those Luca Goers can go eat a dick, douchebags.
I just can't see how people think Tidus is "omg so annoying, whiny bitch fuck bane of my existence", his behaviour seems to be pretty natural to me considering his past and his current situation.
Random Encounter rate is higher than I remember but it's tolerable. I can't believe how good this game looks, sometimes I just stand and enjoy the scenery. The OST is so soothing and awesome, very relaxing to play. All the characters are enjoyable and relatable. God I love this game.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 05, 2014, 03:12:21 PM »
Finally got Status Reels to pop up so I have to finish a second league of 10 games. I finished off Omega Weapon last night and got the last overdrive ability for Kimahri and unlocked the trophy. After finishing this league, hopefully the final reels pops up so I can get the sigil and start looking towards beating Penance and Nemesis. I can beat the Dark Aeons without Wakka breaking the limit, but I need him to be able to for those battles.