Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »
Back when I was a kid I would play so much Super Mario 3 that when I was in the car or anywhere silent, I would hear the World 1 music in the distance. Like, it did not at all sound like it was in my head. It sounded like someone in another house was playing the game really, really loud.

That sounds like a more cheerful version of what happened to me.

I used to play a lot of Black & White. Whenever a villager dies, the game tells you by soflty saying the word Death. It got to the stage where I kept hearing someone whispering the word to me in real life. Stopped playing it shortly after. Tried the game again a few years later and the same thing happened.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2014, 01:45:44 PM »
Okay I was joking about the phantom teeth pain thing -- I actually did have newly-erupting wisdom teeth when I got Pokemon Coliseum though, and it was driving me nuts -- buuuut

If any of you played Morrowind on the PC back in the days before proper mod managers were available, I'm sure you're familiar with the the item duplication glitch where, sometimes, after removing mods, the in-game IDs for banners/signs would get screwed up and you'get duplicated banners everywhere.

I HAD NIGHTMARES ABOUT THINGS GETTING DUPLICATED BECAUSE OF THAT.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Esper_Crusader

• I love you, Dr. Zaius
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »
Been playing the shit out Rust this weekend with some friends. We have mad fortifications and weapons stockpiled. Now we're just waiting for someone to mess with us. Also playing some D3 now that there's a reason to.
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2014, 04:56:51 PM »
Reached chapter 2 in Bravely Default and started the new Professor Layton.  Also went back to Wild ARMs 3 after never finishing it a long time ago.  I forgot that this series is so unique.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
Reached chapter 2 in Bravely Default and started the new Professor Layton.  Also went back to Wild ARMs 3 after never finishing it a long time ago.  I forgot that this series is so unique.

I love and miss the days when dungeons had puzzles.... those were "fungeons".
WA had a good thing going for it that you just didn't see last gen...and probably this gen.  It's also a part of my theory for why Tales is so popular is because everything else decided to die or go mobile.

Professor Layton: Azran
= Great puzzles!  I made a rule to never use more than *one* coin (which mostly just elaborate the goal for some of them when I'm unsure).
= Great backgrounds!  And there's so many this time around!  I think they're really trying to go out with a bang.... *sniff sniff*
= I still miss the hand drawn characters...but you can't deny what going 3D has done for the series
= Townsfolk = French/English-inspired art.  Main characters? Anime-looking.  HMMMMMM
= For the most part, there's still waay too much dialogue than they really need.  I'd rather puzzles just start than go into an unecessary dialogue to lead into them.  And while the writing quality is good enough, it's not very interesting to listen to two gentlemen and a lady make commentary since they all lack any real quirk to spice up the dialogue.
= The art style is still really blowing me away, I've adored how the puzzles look
= The music is especially beautiful, once again the series has emphasized melancholy yet lovely melodies to capture every place

= Anyone willing to sell The Last Spectre?  I can't find it anywhere. :(

With all the hostilities going around world-wide, I wish we lived in a Layton world where all conflicts are resolved by solving puzzles.
My mom is mad at me!  Puzzle.
Russia is occupying Ukraine!  Puzzle.
There is unequal distribution of food worldwide! Puzzle.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 06:15:32 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2014, 06:13:19 PM »
Mixed feelings about puzzles. Random encounters and lots of moving with puzzles is definitely not fun and then there is stuff like Xenosaga II puzzle rooms, which are IMMERSIVE. I also don't particularly appreciate puzzles which punish you with more battles if you make the wrong move. Also block puzzles are the epitome of laziness. I still remember when Broken Sword 3, an adventure game, had frigging crate pushing in it. That was just an embarassment.

Played some more Symphonia. Only a little, though. This game seems to be on hard mode or I'm going to have to go grind apparently. I just can't take more than 5 battles in between resting and resupplying. It is manageable, but so sloooow. I hope I don't have to continue playing this like Ni no Kuni to be effective, which basically meant that the game had "fight time" and then "progress time" and the two should not be mixed or you'll just exhaust your supplies and risk losing fighting with a weakened party. Fighting most mobs was useless waste of time anyway. Seems the game offers cooking as the long term solution, but so far it is still out of price range.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »
Loved the puzzles in the whole Xenosaga series.  Those games always had a good puzzle/combat balance.

FFXII had some pretty good puzzles too, though mainly in the later parts of the game.  But I can't think of anything from this gen where I would praise the puzzles...it's really a shame.  I don't think a good dungeon crawl is complete without puzzles.

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2014, 06:22:04 PM »
I'm usually not a fan of puzzles, unless that's all there is to the gameplay (like Professor Layton).
Played some more Symphonia. Only a little, though. This game seems to be on hard mode or I'm going to have to go grind apparently. I just can't take more than 5 battles in between resting and resupplying. It is manageable, but so sloooow. I hope I don't have to continue playing this like Ni no Kuni to be effective, which basically meant that the game had "fight time" and then "progress time" and the two should not be mixed or you'll just exhaust your supplies and risk losing fighting with a weakened party. Fighting most mobs was useless waste of time anyway. Seems the game offers cooking as the long term solution, but so far it is still out of price range.
Just keep pushing through.  I find most Tales games to be a little difficult towards the beginning and then get progressively easier as you get more skills, like a reverse difficulty curve.

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2014, 06:46:03 PM »
Played some more Symphonia. Only a little, though. This game seems to be on hard mode or I'm going to have to go grind apparently.

ToS isn't a particularly difficult game... I'm pretty sure you can combo and manually block. Are you doing that?

--- edit ---

999 - In the opening cutscene. Writing is bad. Really bad.

--- edit ---

... There's a fucking tutorial? That never ends? Can you speed up the text at all?

Most of the text could've been excised from the prologue without anything being lost.

WHY IS THE SECOND BRIEFCASE GIVING ME A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO DO THE SAME THING I JUST DID.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:32:51 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not dream o/`

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
Played some more Symphonia. Only a little, though. This game seems to be on hard mode or I'm going to have to go grind apparently.

ToS isn't a particularly difficult game... I'm pretty sure you can combo and manually block. Are you doing that?

--- edit ---

--- edit ---

... There's a fucking tutorial? That never ends? Can you speed up the text at all?

I have actually seen that criticism pop up fairly often, but it's a localizaton issue if anything, at the same time I dont feel the same way myself, I really enjoyed the writing.
Generally the text could be written by 10 year olds for all I care, as long as the content and the message itself was interesting and awesome, substance over style in this case. In fact I usually hate fancy writing ala FF XII.(It's irrelevant to your post, I just felt like sharing this.).
Oh and also after the beginning tutorial, there is no more tutorial.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 07:37:29 PM by Holykael1 »

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »
Writing is a very common complaint towards Zero Escape, and I don't get it.  I think it's fine, good even, but it really seems to be based on what writing style you prefer.  It's not like it's full of grammatical errors.

--- edit ---

--- edit ---

Most of the text could've been excised from the prologue without anything being lost.

WHY IS THE SECOND BRIEFCASE GIVING ME A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO DO THE SAME THING I JUST DID.
It sounds like you're actively trying to hate the game.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
Writing is a very common complaint towards Zero Escape, and I don't get it.  I think it's fine, good even, but it really seems to be based on what writing style you prefer.  It's not like it's full of grammatical errors.

Lack of grammatical errors is the benchmark for good writing now?

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2014, 08:02:01 PM »

I would say anything past that is based on preference, for writing style anyway.  If we're talking about things like plot structure and character development then that's a whole different story.  The complaints towards ZE seem to revolve around how it's written, not what's there.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2014, 08:18:17 PM »

I would say anything past that is based on preference, for writing style anyway.  If we're talking about things like plot structure and character development then that's a whole different story.  The complaints towards ZE seem to revolve around how it's written, not what's there.

Indeed, what is considered "good writing" sometimes it's terrible writing for me. Just to give an example I know enough about "Fernando Pessoa". In video games an example of "good writing" that I hate is FF XII but I already mentioned that, I like what is written though(as in I really like the story of XII all things considered), in the first example I gave I dont like both the content and the writing.
This also relates to how many "writing snobs" claim FF games are shit  because they have  " bad writing ", I wonder if they are referring only to the way it is written(dialogue).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:20:11 PM by Holykael1 »

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2014, 08:42:41 PM »
FF games are shit because they're made by Square and Square doesn't know what they're doing. Writing's irrelevant.

999's writing fell apart for me because, from what I saw, it violated "show, don't tell" in a huge way. That's the fatal problem. The diction, weasel words, needless similes, the character cracking wise about every object I clicked on... sunk it to the level of reading like a mediocre MLP fanfic, sure, but in and of themselves, they're not as damning as the (completely unnecessary) telling instead of showing coming from the narrator.

Maybe this changes. I don't know. I quit caring.
o/` I do not dream o/`