Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #705 on: April 12, 2014, 08:21:48 PM »
@ game collecting comments, I was mostly talking about people that /just/ buy stuff up to manipulate the scarcity and inflate the prices. This kind of applies to a lot of areas-of-interest, though.

Suik 3 - Did an army battle early in Chris Ch. 2. Despite making a /really/ bad first impression I keep getting more and more sucked into this.

I need to force myself to play some Shining Force 3 tonight. Actually I saw someone compare /that/ to S3's trinity site system, although from what I've heard, Sc1 and 2 overlap somewhat but Sc3 takes place after both.

... Also maybe I should be leveling Julian up. I've been neglecting that since I know you lose him early on in Sc1 but I have no idea what transfers to Sc2 and 3.

--- edit ---

SF3 - Oh god I suck at this. Doing the battle in Quonus church. Get Julian killed early on. Get Cybil killed. lich spawns in and kills Synbios.

Take two. Get Julian killed on turn one in the /exact same way I did the first time/.

fff. At least I got Eldar to gain a level.

... Also I never really noticed this but the meshes in this game actually look pretty good -- a lot of them are quite well animated.

-- edit 3--

I got bored and GIS'd for Shining Force 3 fanart and somehow one of the search results was a picture of one of my plants that I posted on RPGfan several years ago.

How the hell?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:23:24 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #706 on: April 12, 2014, 09:01:33 PM »
I'm not going to comment on collecting stuff in detail.  In the interest of saving space, I keep almost all of my game boxes in storage and keep the games themselves in a small library of CD/DVD booklets.  I'm more likely to display books, movies, or board games than game boxes, but (to be fair) I have HUNDREDS of the damn things. 

Digital Devil Saga
- the Manipura Waterways are AWESOME for gaining levels, and amusingly all of the enemies are female.  Demonesses, Hindu goddesses, Egyptian goddesses, Japanese goddesses, and fairies.  Oh, except for when GIANT SCARY DEMON IDOLS show up as reinforcements.  Hm, maybe Arahabaki are women?  Can't tell. 

Persona 2: Innocent Sin -  wow, they gave me a full party of five characters REALLY FAST.  I like that.  I don't really get the whole demon negotiating thing, but I got some Lovers cards and a Pixie.  I've gone in and out of the first dungeon a few times; I'm also messing around town.  There's obviously a lot going on in this game, but so far I'm not a big fan of fusing Persona; at least compared to Persona 3 and Persona 4.  I definitely like this game so far, though, and once I finish Digital Devil Saga I'll dive in a little deeper. 

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 12, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »
Re: Persona 2: If there is one tip I can give you, it is to abuse Spell Fusions. Not only do they make battles speedy, they also give your Personas AWESOME bonuses. That's the real fun of the Persona 2 growth system, I think. The modifications your Personas get from using Fusion Spells.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 13, 2014, 07:24:41 AM »
Made it to Chapter 5 in Bravely Default. While the major twist was already spoiled for me by all you folks' "hints" (yes, saying 'you have to do everything over again' isn't exactly subtle) I was pleasantly taken aback by the twist involving Ringabel. Tried to do the first subquest again before doing any grinding and got my butt kicked by the Monk's death throes.
I don't think anyone was trying to be subtle when they mention those "hints". I think the people who mention that were just venting without regard for their subtlety. I'm not sure what twist you are talking about with Ringabel. There was only one plot thing relating to him at the end of Chapter 4 and beginning of Chapter 5 that I can think of.....and that was telegraphed back in chapter 1.

Code: [Select]
I assume you are talking about the reveal that Dark Knight has Ringabel's face? If so then yeah, Ringabel being the Dark Knight was telegraphed back in D(ark knight)'s journal, end of chapter 1 (where Ringabel is conveniently absent when the Dark Knight attacks the ship), and sometime in chapter 3 (when Ringabel comes back injured after the Dark Knight was attacked by Victoria).  The only real "shock" is that the two of them are different people, but even that was telegraphed by the fact that D's journal has a large number of discrepancies primarily including the lack of Ringabel......so yeah I was not impressed by that reveal. :p

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 13, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »
Suik 3 - At Iksay as Chris. This game very definitely has simultaneous attacks.

Srsly though fvkc Ernie's quiz. "I ate cactus for dinner" is an impossible phrase?

BITCHES DON'T KNOW ABOUT MY JARRED CACTUS SHREDDLINGS?
tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus tender cactus 8DDD
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:18:31 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 13, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »
Sooo, I'm finally out of Midgar in this Final Fantasy 7 difficulty mod. It wasn't easy, but I had to abuse a lot of mechanics of the game for it to work. Everyone in the back row, Everyone inflicted with Sadness, lots of grenades and useable items thrown as they don't trigger the counter-attack.

I've changed my perspective regarding bosses. Instead of treating them like just a tough encounter, I approach them like a puzzle and work out the needed components and work from there.
Things are lookin up!

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 13, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »
Haven't been on most of the weekend because when I came home from work on Saturday my fiance surprised me with a PS4 and Infamous Second Son. I was so stoked! I've only played it for a little while, but the game is fun and the graphics are gorgeous. I really like that Sony added how rare trophies are too. When I get on my PS3 and Vita now it's kind of disappointing that it isn't there. How hard would it be to update that? I like the layout of the menues and stuff on the PS4 alot more than PS3.

CluelessWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 13, 2014, 08:35:35 PM »
Just finished Mirror's Edge (ios runner version) and the ending was really abrupt.  I had go to the main menu and see if there was a way to purchase/unlock levels.  If the console version of ME was just as abrupt/unresolved, I can see why people are excited about the sequel. 
Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #713 on: April 13, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »
Haven't been on most of the weekend because when I came home from work on Saturday my fiance surprised me with a PS4 and Infamous Second Son. I was so stoked! I've only played it for a little while, but the game is fun and the graphics are gorgeous. I really like that Sony added how rare trophies are too. When I get on my PS3 and Vita now it's kind of disappointing that it isn't there. How hard would it be to update that? I like the layout of the menues and stuff on the PS4 alot more than PS3.

I love the trophy rarity bit too.  Though I can imagine it'll nag at completionists; but I think it's almost a perfect system to 'create' bragging rights.

Just finished Mirror's Edge (ios runner version) and the ending was really abrupt.  I had go to the main menu and see if there was a way to purchase/unlock levels.  If the console version of ME was just as abrupt/unresolved, I can see why people are excited about the sequel. 

I loved the style of this game, but I never got around to it.  I'm really curious and even glad its getting a sequel despite the mixed reviews --- there definitely is a fan base for it.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 14, 2014, 01:20:23 AM »
That seems a bit extreme. It isn't any stranger than collecting stamps or books.

I'm guessing here, but I assume he's more annoyed with people who collect to re-sell and gouge the people who want to collect just to play.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:23:48 PM by Lard »
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 14, 2014, 03:00:57 AM »

I loved the style of this game, but I never got around to it.  I'm really curious and even glad its getting a sequel despite the mixed reviews --- there definitely is a fan base for it.

Sequel? I've mainly read info saying things of the new Mirror's Edge being a reboot in some parts and a prequel in others.

CluelessWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 14, 2014, 04:32:23 AM »
Well heck.  I am more interested in what happens after than before.
Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 14, 2014, 02:09:53 PM »
Journal entry noºidk

Killed the demon, got past  the depths and blighttown lies ahead. I attacked the blacksmith by mistake and now I have to farm souls to absolve my sins... FUCK.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 14, 2014, 03:39:30 PM »
Playing Lego Marvel Super Heroes my PS3 or the game itself is really acting up all of a sudden. Had it shut down to the XMB on me once and then the game froze. Guess I better upload some save files incase my PS3 is on it's last legs.

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 14, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
OK...the four boss Arthrosaurus fight in Lost Odyssey is officially fucking annoying
Everything's Eventual