Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7530 on: September 08, 2017, 12:59:17 AM »
Still occasionally playing Street Fighter V, but mostly because if I take it out of the disc slot, Overwatch goes back in, and I lose 4 more hours of sleep. :P

Otherwise, I tried to ween myself off of Overwatch by playing Paladins, an Overwatch clone. Which...almost didn't work. I just wound up getting addicted to that instead. But luckily, there's a key difference: It's a Free-to-play game that's still in Beta. Actually, the Beta part is the bigger issue, but I only because I spent real money to get all the characters. :T By day 6, it suddenly turned into a glitchy mess, as opposed to just an unbalanced mess with overpowered characters and two-tank Meta in a 5V5 game, as well as characters who can turn invisible with no counter, and ability cooldowns that refresh just by getting kills. I think that's where you're supposed to communicate with your teammates? However, no one ever has a decent mic (nor do they actually try to do anything except yell at the top of their lungs and sing kareoke over their potato mics), and the team alert things are too complicated to utilize in the middle of battle.

Oh well, it seems like an interesting game, but I'll have to wait until all the issues are sorted out.

So, now I decided to make another attempt to get into MOBA games, this time by playing Paragon, the only MOBA I could find that tries to teach its players the basics instead of assuming everyone watches e-Sports. :T

And with that in mind, it's doing its job. Doesn't have much else going for it, though, and despite telling me what a Carry does, or what Ganking means, it forgot to mention which characters outside of the starting 5 are best suited for certain roles (I had to check their wiki for that. I mean, c'mon! There's so much wasted space on their menues, the least they could've done was mention the recommended roles in the corner! Geez...). I definitely won't be playing this long-term, especially considering how sterile the presentation is. Outside of a few characters, most of the characters come off as either blatant archetypes spat out by a character generation machine, or absolutely hidious monstrosities. Usually both, actually.

Oh well, once I feel that I've gotten the hang of the basic flow of the game, I might try Heroes of the Storm again, and hopefully I won't be completely lost and frustrated this time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:04:07 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7531 on: September 08, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
I've mostly been playing Everybody's Golf.

No one else, eh?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: September 08, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »
It was on my list until a trusted source told me it felt like a step down from the last two Hot Shots titles.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: September 08, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
It was on my list until a trusted source told me it felt like a step down from the last two Hot Shots titles.

Sort of, yeah.  But also... not totally.  The online is really interesting.  Also, you create your own characters and level up skills through use similar to an RPG.  And the character creator is actually pretty great!  I'm currently golfing with a sort-of reasonable facsimile of Estelle from Trails in the Sky.  It's really cool!

The downside is... you create your own characters and level up skills through use, instead of having a quirky cast that all play differently from each other that you tweak through equipment loadouts.  No matter how many characters you make, they will all play exactly the same.

It's worth playing, for sure.  But... maybe not necessary to play right away.  The Hot Shots community tends to stay active for a while, so you can jump in on a sale and still have plenty of online activity.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: September 09, 2017, 02:33:10 PM »
I've been playing Trails of Cold Steel and I'm at the final boss in the old schoolhouse. I have tried twice (even tried with the option of weakening the boss after dying) and then another time and cannot defeat him. I have tried using Crafts to delay the boss (using Rean, Gaius and Jusis) and then having Rean and Emma spam Impassion to keep CP up and use Chrono Drive to make my characters faster, but the fucking boss after some time just ignores the huge time delay he should have and then starts fucking up my characters. I've watched several gameplay videos to see if I did anything wrong and saw that people were winning with different strategies and party members.

Maybe I just need to level grind, but yuck.

EDIT: Literally spent all day (not kidding) finishing this game. Was able to figure out a strategy to win without taking much damage, but damn did those battles take a while.

Also, all of those twists at the end! I didn't see most of them coming. I'll just say that I'll be going around the city trying to find the Trails of Cold Steel 2, but will probably take a break from gaming until December (I have CPA exams to study for and was distracted by playing Cold Steel because this game is incredibly engrossing. Definitely a Top 5 JRPG for me.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:34:04 PM by Seultoria »

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: September 10, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »

Fate/Grand Order:  I've now drawn a sixth Robin Hood.  This is starting to get weird.
The translation for chapter two is rather better than chapter one. The punctuation is notably erratic, but I can at least blame that on a rushed editing job, rather than gross incompetence.  It's funny how the improved translation makes the writing seem better, when it really isn't.
I haven't drawn any good sabers yet, and I still only have two 4-star servants.

Current mains:
Rider:  Martha (4*)
Lancer: Cu Chulainn (3*)
Assassin: Jing Ke (3*)
Berserker: Tamamo Cat (4*)
Archer: Robin Hood (3*) (yeah, I know, but he's still the best archer I've got)
Caster: Medea (3*)
Saber:  Accepting applications.

To be honest, I do have two 3* sabers in my deck, but the character art for Julius Caesar is just... weird, and, given his historical reputation, there's no way I would ever field Gilles de Rais.  (Okay, Medea was a pretty nasty person, too, but at least she's cute).

Bushidou777

• Time is Concept which Recognize,The change of things
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: September 11, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
Just beat Xenoblade Chronicles and kinda just in limbo until Samus returns is out,But currently Playing Tales of Beseria.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: September 13, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »
Been playing the crap out of GT6 lately. Took me a gazillion tries, but I finally got all gold in the National A and International B license tests. The car you get for doing the former is basically a cheat mode for some of the races in that class. I'm actually almost done with all of the races the National A class at this point. There are a few races for which I don't have a qualifying car, so I'm doing some International B races in the meantime. The Red Bull Challenge races are unlocked at the same time the International B races are, and it's honestly a very easy way to get a lot of money fast. Kind of feels like cheating, but it's the way they designed the game, so there ya go. I'm rich, bitch!!
I think someone else here said it before, but anyone who drives daily, or near-daily should play a driving simulator now and then. Really helps to sharpen your skills.

Also been playing a bit of Rayman Legends with my son. I forgot what a fantastic platformer it is. Anyone who enjoys platforming games really needs to play it.

Gotta get back on Lost Odyssey. I think I've just been enjoying playing non-RPG games, after playing three Tales games in a row...

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7538 on: September 13, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
Took me a gazillion tries, but I finally got all gold in the National A and International B license tests.

I almost threw my controller just reading this

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: September 13, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
Took me a gazillion tries, but I finally got all gold in the National A and International B license tests.

Haha, no kidding. There were several times when I would yell out loud something like: "What the fuck!!?? I did that PERFECTLY!!! How the heck can I possibly do it any faster!!??", and would have to walk away for a bit, hoping my son wasn't within ear shot. Then..., somehow the stars would align after enough tries. The last test on the National A license, when you have to drive a Mazda race car around a few tight corners in the dark, was the absolute worst for me. I must have tried that one literally 30-ish times.
I think of the license tests as the Dark Souls of driving sims. You have to accept the fact you are going to fail a lot before finally nailing some of them, but when you finally do, it feels so very, very sweet.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: September 13, 2017, 12:10:39 PM »

Haha, no kidding. There were several times when I would yell out loud something like: "What the fuck!!?? I did that PERFECTLY!!! How the heck can I possibly do it any faster!!??", and would have to walk away for a bit, hoping my son wasn't within ear shot. Then..., somehow the stars would align after enough tries. The last test on the National A license, when you have to drive a Mazda race car around a few tight corners in the dark, was the absolute worst for me. I must have tried that one literally 30-ish times.
I think of the license tests as the Dark Souls of driving sims. You have to accept the fact you are going to fail a lot before finally nailing some of them, but when you finally do, it feels so very, very sweet.

I failed one of those by .003 seconds after 90 unbroken minutes of trying it.  It was about a 30 second trial, too, including the time it took to retry so, yeah, that was around Attempt #180.  I've never bothered with trying to Gold the tests ever again after that.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7541 on: September 13, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
Suikoden - I only picked this up as a prelude to playing SII.  It's entertaining enough (I haven't been bored with it once), but also fairly nondescript. I'm right before what I assume is the final battle (28 hours) and I have something like 90 stars and I don't care enough to try and go back for any more.  I'll watch the true-gushy-lala ending on YouTube after I'm done.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: September 13, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »
Dragon Quest VIII 3DS - Beat the first of the Dragonivian Trials. I'm keeping a spear on hand for the hero and an axe on hand for Yangus so they can use their critical hit-or-miss abilities on metal enemies to make grinding easier.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Hard to say where I am, but I'm having a blast exploring the vast open world.

Kingdom Hearts Union Cross - I finally beat the witch boss with the healing cat and have been breezing along, getting to the latest Quest.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: September 13, 2017, 06:40:51 PM »
Haven't played any singleplayer games in a long time, but I've been trying to diversify my playing roster as of late. In other words: I'm actually not just playing Overwatch every free minute I get, like I had the past few month an a half. :P It's still on the roster, though, I've just been limiting myself to a couple matches or so every so often. I love it, of course, but it crowding out everything else. So, without further ado:

Paladins (PS4) - The game I tried to get into after Overwatch. According to the devs, they wanted to make something more akin to Team Fortress 2 with elements of MOBAs like League of Legends, which certainly fits the bill so far. I bought the Founder's Pack, so I'll get every character from now on, and I think I've come to appreciate every character so far, despite there being over 30 characters on the roster (whereas Overwatch has 25). It's still not great - the game's still in Beta on 3 platforms, and the devs had to go back to the drawing board after their initial public tests, going from 12 characters to 31 in a little over a year (their initial plan was just offering a variety of playstyles using cards, which is still there, but most play fine even with their basic setup, and there's an autobuy function for items that I literally never have to turn off). There's also a ton of bugs, especially these past few days. I think I'll wait a few months for them to get it right. I had hoped the latest patch would fix everything, but...it just created more problems. :/ Bit of a shame, since it was fun, and faster-paced than Overwatch (bigger maps, more movement skills, healing while out of battle, and you ride in on horses after every respawn. It can get really hectic if you don't have a tank or healer. Which happens a lot since there are 4 classes and it's 5v5). Once they work out the kinks, I think this could become another long-time favorite of mine.

Paragon (PS4) - Decided recently to try getting into MOBAs again, since Heroes of the Storm overwhelmed me back in April. Remembered this one was on consoles, and figured it might try to teach me how to play it more than HotS or my vague recollections of League did. Suffice to say, it did the trick.Had way more fun with it than I thought I would, and all while compromising less than I thought it would. It's a fairly by the numbers 3rd-person interpretation of MOBAs (as in, "It's League of Legends in 3rd Person" was basically it's only notable gimmick), with remarkably little lore or obvious personality to its world and characters, so my initial impressions were that it was stale and uninteresting. But I kept up with it, and really came to appreciate it. I guess it helps that all of the characters are unlocked by default, so no grinding for ages just to get the character you want. I still suck at it, though. It helps that it actually specifies and explains various MOBA terms that HotS would beat me over the head with like they were common knowledge, but it doesn't explain which character is better at being a "carry" or an "assassin", or even "support". There's also no heal spell or any quick-healing method, the kill count piles up easy if you don't know what you're doing. So it explained the basics, but I'll need something else to learn more advanced tactics.

...and yes, I tried looking it up. This game isn't that popular, so most of the info I found were 6+ months out of date, and they revamped their card/gem system (character augmenting system)...I wanna say back in May? After everyone stopped caring, I guess. I still get into matches fairly easily, I just have no idea where to actually look for specific info without searching through a mountain of flame-wars of reddit...also, it's PC/PS4 crossplay, and the PC players are just as rude as I've heard LoL can be. Spent the last match watch my team fight amongst themselves instead of fighting the enemy team. One even accused me of leaving the match, presumedly because of my kill/death ratio, and even claimed to report me. It's frustrating enough losing without jerks like that causing problems. I like the game, but I'm reminded that the community was the biggest turn-off for MOBAs. Oh well, there's an option to turn off team-chat, IIRC, so I'll just deal with it that way.

Heroes of the Storm - Decided that I had learned enough about the basics to try this again, which...is pretty good, I just don't like the announcers on some maps. Seriously, I don't think there's anything wrong with the game, it's just that every map has some creepy reverb-heavy voice telling me to collect some kind of tribute for them, like I'm serving Satan or something. And they never shut-up, either, it's obnoxious and discomforting. And here I avoided DOTA 2 just because of how creepy its characters look. I'm almost to the point where I might spend real money on the custom announcers just so I don't get nightmares. I mean, with all these Hurricanes lately, it's making me feel like I'm slaughtering southern Florida or something...yeesh...I'll take D.Va's L33t-speak over that any day...

With that said, it reminded me a lot of Starcraft, so I bought the Starcraft II Battle Chest while it was on sale, and also downloaded the original Starcraft Anthology, which is apparently available for free through Battle.net. Think those'll be my next singleplayer games.

Hearthstone - Trying to get back into this. It's still super fun, but I've been out of the game so long that a lot of my old decks were no longer useable in standard mode (balancing issues, apparently), so I've gotta spend a lot of time with the starter decks before I delve into deck-making again. That's a lot of trial and error, anyways. Definitely a breath of fresh air compared to HotS and Paragon. A lot more laid-back, instead of weird and creepy.

Ascension (iOS) and Star Realms (iOS) - Two other card games, this time deck-builders, that I'll occasionally play while I'm waiting for something. Not much to say, just felt it was worth noting.

League of Legends - Finally decided to give this another go, and I'm really excited!...except it took a while to download, and my computer died after I played the tutorial. Hope that's not an omen...

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:03:20 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: September 13, 2017, 07:36:20 PM »
I've been playing Trails of Cold Steel and I'm at the final boss in the old schoolhouse. I have tried twice (even tried with the option of weakening the boss after dying) and then another time and cannot defeat him. I have tried using Crafts to delay the boss (using Rean, Gaius and Jusis) and then having Rean and Emma spam Impassion to keep CP up and use Chrono Drive to make my characters faster, but the fucking boss after some time just ignores the huge time delay he should have and then starts fucking up my characters. I've watched several gameplay videos to see if I did anything wrong and saw that people were winning with different strategies and party members.

Maybe I just need to level grind, but yuck.

EDIT: Literally spent all day (not kidding) finishing this game. Was able to figure out a strategy to win without taking much damage, but damn did those battles take a while.

Also, all of those twists at the end! I didn't see most of them coming. I'll just say that I'll be going around the city trying to find the Trails of Cold Steel 2, but will probably take a break from gaming until December (I have CPA exams to study for and was distracted by playing Cold Steel because this game is incredibly engrossing. Definitely a Top 5 JRPG for me.

The final boss took about 4 tries for me. The problem for me was I only had 2 characters that had accessories to block vanish. Eventually I won by having Rean, Alicia, and Jusis (with Laura and the force orb coming in late) all clumped together with Sharon way on the other side of the screen. The boss kept going after sharon (Sharon had high magic/damage evasion and I think she had a high defense and orb that attracts?). Jusis used platinum shield, Rean used s-crafts and the other character buffed CP with techniques or that final recipe that gives you 77CP. I never used chrono drive to my knowledge.

Cold Steel 2 is just as good. I wish I could play it for the 1st time again.