Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

mooserocka

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7995 on: June 10, 2018, 12:04:06 AM »
Im now playing link to the past and super mario rpg again. I just finished earth bound and loved it. I am also half way through trials of cold steel 2. That is all i am playing at moment.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7996 on: June 10, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »
Mostly taking a break from imports to play some older PC RPGs. Binged pretty heavily on Ultima 5 earlier this year, and followed that up with some Pool of Radiance and Dragon Wars (both of which have been total delights so far, although first edition AD&D has some... strange rules, and Dragon War's satire hits a liiiittle too close to home). Been REALLY into Oblivion lately, of all things. Didn't really care for it when it came out but it really clicked with me now. I guess having a PC with a GPU that can actually run it helps :)

And the occasional spot of American Truck Sim and Densha de Go! Professional. I am very, very bad at trains.

(So I did pick up something called Nemuru Mayu/Sleeping Cocoon awhile back. Gameplay-wise it's not too far off from Lands of Lore, although combat doesn't take place on the main map so you don't have the endlessly backpedaling problem. In terms of story... I'm not actually sure what the premise is. But the first dungeon, which is set in a ruined town surrounding an active volcano, has you helping flower children who have been kidnapped by some spider woman who's trying to eat them. The flower children might be the reincarnated spirits of dead people. Also you buff your stats by taking drugs. Asmik's PS1 output was... peculiar).
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7997 on: June 11, 2018, 10:14:42 AM »
How you been, Mesh? :)

In my Game Journaling, I beat NNK2 (to absolute death) and started Trails of Cold Steel 2.  I couldn't be more excited!

Would be hilarious if I could have all my stuff from CS1 here.  Alas, instead I have a Silver Emblem.  *throws confetti halfheartedly*
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:56:43 PM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7998 on: June 11, 2018, 04:28:02 PM »
About 30 hours into Bravely Second and just made it to Florem. The enemies are really annoying in this area. Almost all of them inflict status effects constantly. Namely confuse, stun, and charm, which makes these battles really difficult. I've done my best to equip my team with accessories that nullify these effects, but it's still annoying to deal with.

Currently Yew is a Black Mage, Magnolia is a Hawkeye, Edea is a Knight, and I've moved Tiz back to Bishop for the time being. I'll probably have them start going back to some of the earlier jobs to bring those all up to level seven.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7999 on: June 11, 2018, 04:57:25 PM »
You can't Brave rush these mobs and kill 'em all in one go?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8000 on: June 11, 2018, 08:37:48 PM »
Kingdom Hearts Union X - Still waiting for the next story mission update, and have done the latest Agrabah missions.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I'm in the flying Divine Beast after taking down its exterior cannons.

Resonance of Fate - Still in Chapter 14, farming coins at the arena. I got a ton of crap to sell for money, so my monetary problems are more or less resolved.

Yakuza 0 - I think I'm in Chapter 6, progressing along smoothly.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: June 11, 2018, 08:49:44 PM »
Lego City Undercover - Just started chapter 7. Having fun. Love the lighthearted sense of humor. It's a great 'escape' game.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Just a short bit past the beginning portion of the game. When you first start exploring maps. Everyone is level 3.
Playing as a female elf, who is a dual-wielding rogue. I must have created and started a character 3 times now, because I'd end up dissatisfied with their look cut-scenes. On that note, I've already come across several graphical glitches that have been hilarious. Nothing game breaking, though. Coming from HZD, movement feels a bit clunky, but not bad. Love the western RPG aspects. Good stuff overall.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #8002 on: June 11, 2018, 10:34:05 PM »
After an involuntary break from gaming, I've picked up Trails in the Sky again.  I've just reached Zeiss.

I quite like the style of writing in this game; somewhat tropey without being cliche, it feels like a more mature Tales installment.  This is the first game in years where I actually walk around and talk to random NPCs, just to hear what they have to say.  The localization is bloody brilliant.

Neutral things:
I like the battle system--turn based RPGs can do a lot worse than this--but it hasn't been giving me any "moments of awesome" as sometimes happens with an SMT/Persona title.
I'm currently neglecting the whole quartz/orbment system, and likely won't bother with tuning my lines for specific abilities unless I start having trouble.

Bad things:
Kloe left my party.
The treasure chests mock me incessantly!  But I will have vengeance.  I'm gonna open the hell out of every chest I find.  I mean, I was going to open the treasure chests anyway?  But now...it's personal.
I guess I don't like it that characters have to be alive at the end of a battle to earn experience.  Since I seem to be earning most of my experience from bosses, this has forced me to replay a couple of battles, even though I won.

The chest is empty.
I wonder whose fault that is...?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8003 on: June 12, 2018, 09:35:03 AM »
I guess I don't like it that characters have to be alive at the end of a battle to earn experience.  Since I seem to be earning most of my experience from bosses, this has forced me to replay a couple of battles, even though I won.

Perhaps if you were actually using the Quartz/Orbment system... ?  :P

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8004 on: June 12, 2018, 09:36:07 PM »
Yeah it's weird that you say you're not having any trouble and then proceed to complain about characters being dead at the end of boss fights.  If you really weren't have any trouble they would be alive...

There's a lot you can do with proper orbment management.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #8005 on: June 13, 2018, 12:08:29 AM »
I don't consider a character being KO'd occasionally during a boss fight to be "having trouble".  If I were sailing through the game without anyone dying, I'd be complaining it was too easy.

I could spend a little extra time optimizing Quartz combinations and farming for sepith, and that would doubtless make the game easier, but I'd rather face a challenge every once in a while, and spend that time exploring instead.

What I don't like is squeaking out a win by a narrow margin against a boss...and then having to do the whole thing over again because someone got killed in the interval before an Art landed (for example).

For the moment, I'm getting along well enough buying whatever Quartz is cheap relative to my current sepith inventory, and not worrying about the best combination, as long as everyone has some decent healing and attack Arts available.  I generally don't bother with exploiting the full range of options in a system unless a game forces me to do so to make progress.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8006 on: June 13, 2018, 01:12:08 AM »
To be fair, other than "Am I running enough healing Quartz?" and "Do I have the anti-enemy encounter Quartz on somebody?", you don't really need to play around with Quartz that much since most of FC isn't that hard. And hell, if you're having trouble with levels and experience, just fight a few random battles. The game is designed to tapper off Exp gains based upon where you are/what you're fighting. So as long as you fight a few random battles in a new area, you should be good.

But yeah, focus your efforts on keeping Estelle and Joshua standing since they're always around for FC.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8007 on: June 13, 2018, 01:40:45 PM »
You can't Brave rush these mobs and kill 'em all in one go?

Unfortunately, the enemies are by and large quicker to the punch, and by the time my team's turn comes around two or more have a status effect that prevents them from attacking, or doing what I want. I've managed to avoid it somewhat by equipping Tiz with Prescience and doing a Speed Boon Blast to my party, but not entirely. Prior to that I had a few instances where my entire party was KO'd because because they were all stunned, confused, or charmed for me to do anything.

Regardless, I don't have much time to play this week. But since I haven't been able to get any street passes despite my best efforts, I decided to use this time to have my sole denizen on the moon work on reclaiming some of the damaged areas by leaving my 3DS in sleep mode. S/he is currently working on a 50 hour project that should be complete tonight. After that I'll move onto another reclaiming project that will take 70 hours.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8008 on: June 13, 2018, 01:51:31 PM »
Oh dear.  Starting battles with the enemies going first sounds terrible. :(

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8009 on: June 13, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »
Beat Pokemon Alpha Sapphire over the weekend. The return trip to Hoenn was solid. Blaziken was definitely my mvp during the playthrough.

Going to replay either Final Fantasy X or Dragon Quest V soon.