Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Gregosa

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8085 on: August 04, 2018, 02:54:21 PM »
Beat FE4 recently again. Seliph, Ares and Arthur were definitely the mvps for the second generation as usual. Leif got to contribute a lot when he became a Master Knight(love that class) and I made good use of the rescue staff this time. I know this game gets a lot of flack for map design but I really like the endgame cause it throws a lot of stuff at you such as the wall of staffbots at the first castle to the squad of magic barons in the north.

A little burnt out from strategy games atm. Currently playing Ratchet & Clank Going Commando. At the prison escape level.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: August 05, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
Finished Trails in the Sky FC, loved it.
Please don't flood this thread with details.  It's not like this is meant to be some kind of "journal" for you talk in-depth about "games".  :P
Hey, I posted a whole two sentences over on discord.

Anyway, I don't agree with the general sentiment that TitS:FC is a "slow burn".  I thought the pacing was perfect.  It starts out with a slice-of-life vibe, but with the sense that there are some big events happening in the world, which our characters are only indirectly aware of.  The natural (unforced?) progression that follows is the sort of plotting I wish I got more often in Tales games (which does characters really well, but doesn't always deliver on story).

Speaking of, Estelle was one of those rare characters that clicked with me almost immediately.  If this was an anime series, she would have earned it a "one-episode endorsement".

The gameplay was okay for a turn-based RPG, but I didn't really have much fun with it until I got some gladiator equipment, and could start abusing S-breaks.  I never did get around to orbment optimization; Earth Wall, La Teara, and an attack spell or two was enough to get me through the end game.

I think I've already expressed my dislike for fast travel, but the gist is, that if a game needs fast travel to be playable, somebody screwed up somewhere.  Trails FC is a textbook example of how to design a game that doesn't have (and doesn't need) fast travel.  Just enough exploration to be interesting, without getting tedious, and no need for backtracking (...if you don't count book collection).

Is that better, @Arvis?  Or do you want me to gush about the music, too?

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: August 05, 2018, 01:22:26 PM »
I think I've already expressed my dislike for fast travel, but the gist is, that if a game needs fast travel to be playable, somebody screwed up somewhere.

I'd disagree, but then again, I'd argue it's just further evidence that the game was designed to be a completionist's nightmare that I kind of gave up on. I liked the sidequests, but without them it was just kind of a decent straight-forward RPG, and I became overwhelmed with the sheer amount of missable content that seemingly required that I followed a strict guide in order to complete everything, instead of just exploring and progressing at my own pace. That's killed a lot of games for me, and TitS is no exception.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: August 05, 2018, 04:08:29 PM »
Or do you want me to gush about the music, too?

Please, gush all over us.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: August 06, 2018, 02:02:48 PM »
What Goosey said, minus the innuendo.

And I'm really glad you liked it that much, @ironmage !  If that's your feeling on FC, you're in for a huge treat with the rest of the Trails franchise.  Fair warning: Cold Steel does have fast travel! :(

Cold Steel 2
Spoiler: show
Made it to the Infernal Castle!  Fun times!  Fought Bleublanc and Best Grill Duvalie the Swift (after resetting to go grab Laura).  That was fun.  The battle went like this:
1. Jusis Overdrive with Machias
2. Noble Command
3. Accelerate
4. Noble Command
5. Laura S-Craft
6. Gaius S-Craft
End of battle.
Then in the cutscene everyone is all gasping for breath and leaning over, talking about what a tough battle it was.  Maybe they were all left breathless by Gaius' amazingness?

Then the game teased me with Toval and Olivier showing up, but *not* joining my party.  Dang it!  I really hope Olivier is playable by the end!  Would be such a lovely little gift to this old Trails lover.  But please don't even hint one way or the other, I've already been spoiled on one or two things, so I don't want to know any more.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:52:16 PM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: August 07, 2018, 05:52:24 PM »
Playing a bunch of Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War. Played about a dozen skirminhes in Soulstorm just to refamiliarize myself with the races and how they worked, then went back to the base game to start playing through the campaign. All these years, and I don't think I ever touched the story modes until now. I knew going in that the first campaign was pretty tutorially and cinematic, so I'm just trying to blow through it. It's very linear so far, only focuses on the Blood Ravens, and seems to be incredibly short, with only 11 missions. On chapter 6 now, and I think I'll be able to finish it by tomorrow evening, or even sooner if I stopped putzing about.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: August 08, 2018, 03:19:50 PM »
6 hours in and I have no opinions about Skies of Arcadia that aren't glaringly obvious, but I still want @Frostillicus to be aware of it

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: August 08, 2018, 03:24:35 PM »
6 hours in and I have no opinions about Skies of Arcadia that aren't glaringly obvious, but I still want @Frostillicus to be aware of it

When I tried to play this back in the day, it was so hideously ugly to look at and clunky to play that I gave up after 1 hour.  So feel free to share these obvious opinions so I know what I missed.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: August 08, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »
Or do you want me to gush about the music, too?

Please, gush all over our TitS.

Belated, but fixed.

Your Innuendo-fu needs work young grasshoppa.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: August 08, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »
*Bows* I have much to learn.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: August 09, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »

When I tried to play this back in the day, it was so hideously ugly to look at and clunky to play that I gave up after 1 hour.  So feel free to share these obvious opinions so I know what I missed.

LOL It can be a slog at times, and no, it isn't the prettiest, but I still personally enjoyed it. It gets better, or at least a bit more interesting, as it goes. People spoiled on the fluidity of more modern RPGs/games may dislike it's archaic feel, but I think it's worth it.
At the least @Rucks , if you end up hating it, you'll be able to sell it for a pretty penny.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: August 09, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »
I should also mention it came at a time when I had even less free time than I do now, two roommates, and was helping plan my wedding.  So I was dropping RPGs all the time, especially if they didn't immediately grab me.

Cold Steel 2
Yeah, so McBurn lived up to the hype.  He actually survived my Gaius Win Button strategy.  I couldn't believe it!  I guess Gaius' wind just fanned McBurn's flames.  But Delay Rean put out the fire easily.  McBurn muttered something after Gaius wrecked his face, so I knew his next turn would be his uber move.  Good thing he never actually got another turn.
I definitely loved seeing Laura's dad show up and be hilariously awesome.  What I don't necessarily love (or hate, I'm ambivalent) is how every single bad guy just gets back up after Class VII defeats them.  ALL of them.  Without exception.  Even Pedo Bait Altina was able to scurry off.  It's kind of annoying.  But on the flip side, it also makes sense that this ragtag group of students can't actually fully defeat these Top 1% fighter types (even with the power of friendship).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:44:03 AM by Arvis »

Gregosa

• View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: August 09, 2018, 09:53:10 PM »
Replaying my favourite 3DS game, Super Mario 3D Land. Halfway through the special worlds.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: August 10, 2018, 11:04:38 AM »
Skies of Arcadia - This game is the archetype for making an otherwise run of the mill game with one REALLY COOL gimmick. For the same reason I liked Rogue Galaxy (when most did not) or something like the Panzer Dragoon universe, just give me a pirate ship and a sea clouds/stars and I can be entertained for 40-60 hours.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: August 10, 2018, 02:13:49 PM »
Cold Steel 2
So, I just took down Crow in his Azure Knight.  Thought for sure I was dead at one point but nope.  Is there anyone out there who gets through these fights without using Morning Moon?  It was a pretty awesome fight and I had to Sunlight Blade him like 3 times, which is ridiculous, but eh.  I'm glad I pumped everything into his HP and DEF and ignored SPD.  I wanted those Morning Moons to last as long as possible.

Anyways, afterward I learned something very important about Vita Clotilde:  SHE'S A HUGE FREAKING MORON!!!  "Uh, well, I told the psycho not to summon the world-ending horror, so obviously he won't.  Because I told him not to.  So I don't need to worry about taking any precautions to prevent that.  Oh, look, what is he doing with Prince Cedric?  Whatever, probably nothing.  Oh, look, why is Prince Cedric bound right next to the world ending horror that only he can activate?  Probably just coincidence.  Let me pay attention to these ragtag kids for pretty much no reason instead...."
Right now, I really... seriously... truthfully... cannot think of a dumber antagonist than Vita Clotilde.
Add that to the waaaayyyyy overdramatic climax and you've got me rolling my eyes an awful lot right now.  But darn it if it isn't all so charming and likable.  I'm currently saved at the point right after the battle with Class VII inside the magic bubble.  A terrible place to stop, but I had to work.  Alas.