Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8145 on: September 24, 2018, 06:45:27 PM »
About 15 hours in to Ni no Kuni 2 and loving it so far. Patched and playing on 'Hard' difficulty, which gave me a few early deaths before I knew what I was doing, though overall it feels more like a 'Normal' level of difficulty to me. Love the visuals, and combat is really fun. My only complaint is that movement feels a bit slippery or floaty both in and out of combat. Side-quests are pretty meh, but the main game is good fun and I'm enjoying the kingdom building.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: September 25, 2018, 09:25:20 AM »
Once you get to Tainted Monsters and the ability to explore the world freely you're going to really feel the "hard" in Hard Mode. :D
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: September 25, 2018, 07:05:46 PM »
Once you get to Tainted Monsters and the ability to explore the world freely you're going to really feel the "hard" in Hard Mode. :D

I've beaten up a few tainted monsters! Though found I needed to be about 10 levels higher or so to reliably win. Even then, one hit from them usually does like 50% of my HP in damage. Ouch.

As for exploration,
Spoiler: show
I've got a jumping boat and I'm currently in Broadleaf.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: September 26, 2018, 09:31:30 AM »
I played on Normal and found some TMs that were below my level that could one-shot me, so beware.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: September 26, 2018, 05:58:43 PM »
I played on Normal and found some TMs that were below my level that could one-shot me, so beware.

Thanks for the heads up!

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: September 26, 2018, 11:24:13 PM »
Saw a key plot scene for Claudia in Romancing SaGa, and ended up losing both her animal companions. Luckily, I was able to fill in the gap with two story characters, which now entirely compose my party, after finding I could actually travel to a large variety of locations.

In Chapter 5 of Toukiden: Kiwami, and am taking my time with side missions.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: September 27, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »
Tales o' Braseria - Arriving in Loegres, after spending some time at Port Zekson playing mini games and buying/upgrading/managing equipment and costumes.  Velvet looks awesome as a DJ.
I'm enjoying the battle system. Might be my 2nd favorite after Graces f. So far, none of the main characters have annoyed me, which I guess means I like the cast at this point. "Coo, coo!"
Playing on Moderate difficulty.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: September 29, 2018, 01:22:22 AM »
Stuff I've been playing over the last couple of months:

Skyrim - Got this during the summer sale. I enjoy it immensely although the writing has issues a looot of quests are very unfinished, which is a problem when there's text left in the quest pointing you towards ways to finish them that are not in the game anymore.

No Man's Sky: NEXT - I liked Pathfinder-era NMS a lot but NEXT... sort of took it in a direction I wasn't overly fond of. This might be a common complaint but planets have little to no color variation now, and I'm personally not thrilled with babysitting refiners :T In a lot of ways it has turned in the game that was originally being advertised but that never was a vision to which I particularly cottoned :T

Donut County - Halfway through this. I like the style and narrative a lot but it's short and kind of feels like the entire game is just a tutorial so far? Maybe the second half'll be better about that.

Breath of Fire 4 - On the island.

Legend of Heroes - Windows version. Got this awhile ago but had some issues getting it working right re music/it doesn't like Windows 10/it doesn't like getting tabbed out of. In  Chapter 2. Just got the silence spell and Gale rejoined. Roh's still awol though which is bad because he had all my good spells.

Legend of Xanadu 2 - Up to chapter 3(ish. I think there was a prologue chapter). Party is currently Lyckos and Pyra. Revisiting one of the old towns where Lyckos' girlfriend's at. Game's really on the easy side but I don't think I mind.

Emerald Dragon - PCE Version. Just lost Bagin, about to deal with Gomez. Party is currently Atrushan, Tamryn, Faluna, and Yaman. As a game I'm really enjoying this but there are... things about the story that are... So Yaman's part of this tribe who's very clearlyvisually based off of Native Americans (also they live in... an odd interpretation of a longhouse) only they all speak in this halting broken Japanese and it's like I know Japan wouldn't really have the cultural or historical background in which that kind of stereotype wouldn't fly well, but playing it in the US in 2018, it kind of doesn't fly well! Also you have two ladies in your party -- Tamryn and Faluna -- but I don't think the game's actually passed the Bechdel test at any point which in and of itself wouldn't be concerning except that Tamryn's supposed to the main heroine/love interest/deuteragonist to Atrushan but she doesn't say much period and feels kind of furniturey and I'm not really down with that. Maybe it'll improve! idk!

Zeliard - Took down the first two bosses, up to the forest area.

Last Bible 3 - Birds happened. Think I cleared out the first floor of the tower at magic school. Maaaybe have one more spell left there?

Tenshi no Uta - Did some plot stuff at Stonehenge involving a sacred mirror. Currently trying to get Enya back to Penzance.

Xanadu - Enjoying this a lot, even though it's the opposite of the kind of game I usually like, but waffling on which version to play. I like the soundtrack and general visual style in Revival Xanadu the most, but that version's a bit... buggy. Probably gonna go with the Saturn version -- not a fan of the visuals but it has a number of little things, especially with the controls, that make it nicer to play.

Popful Mail - PC98 version. It has bump combat instead of manual sword swinging like the Sega CD version. Think the PCE version has bump combat toooo? Anyway, just picked up Tatto and heading to the ancient cave.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: September 29, 2018, 06:10:22 AM »
Not a lot to comment on, but yeah, Emerald Dragon would definitely fail any sort of progressive test. Its a product of the late 80s, so even having a distinct non-naked/mostly non-naked female character present at all puts it ahead of a lot of its contemporaries. Hell, it would take until the late 90s/early 00s for Japan to start moving away from Black Face so I'm not surprised about its lack of decorum in regards to other non-Japanese/non-generic western character types.

As for Popful Mail, aside from the SegaCD and the Super Famicom versions, the games were bump and grind with projectiles ala Legacy of the Wizard/Dragon Slayer 4: Drasle Family (because everything Dragon Slayer did was reused as it became its own thing).

Gotta say, I've missed your olde skool, stranded in Japan JRPG stuff.

As for my own haps, I'm still chugging along in DQ11.

Dora the Explorer was an annoying roadblock for a short while (because bosses that effectively get six turns per round, loaded with high damage AoE attacks, 100% accurate debilitating status effects, moves with ludicrously high critical rates and another move that can drain life are kind of a pain in the ass to deal with when you only have one options for AoE healing, one non-item source of reliable revives and one source of status buffs, with the rest of your offensive hinging on trying to stick unreliable (and utterly short lived due to the whole 6 turns thing) debuffs and Envenom/Erik's other DoT spell). Eventually looked up online as to possible strategies as the status resisting accessories weren't doing shit, learned that the wording in the Snap, Crackle, Poof ability is hella poor (it doesn't provide a boosted chance to resist, but full on status resist for as long as the spell is up), immediately respecced to that and ran the boss down (albeit with only three party members left standing).

Anyways, I've just finished up the Library. I lol'd at the one on one fight right before it though since it turned out that Miracle Slash was a solid investment after all. It also helped that I did some level grinding prior to that fight (not actually intentional level grinding mind, I just had a bear of a time trying to get the Rarified Slime Knight fight to proc; and I might have done this over on Slime Island where Metal Slimes can occasionally appear instead of over at not-Spain/Portugal which was below my level threshold).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: September 29, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »
Started playing Shining Force Resurrection of the Dark Dragon, the GBA remake. I played the original a decade ago as part of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on a whim cause I thought the name sounded cool and really enjoyed it since I love srpgs.I've wanted to play this remake for quite sometime. Still on chapter 1 and I'm enjoying it. So far the biggest surprise I've found is the boost in growth rates. I've experienced some plus 5-7 boosts upon level-up whereas to my knowledge in the original I think 3 was the best you could get.

For those who have played this remake, how big of a gamechanger is the magic resistance stat?

Der Jermeister

• Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: September 29, 2018, 09:28:10 PM »
.hack//G.U. Last Recode - On the first game right now, and I have to say, boy am I glad I didn't play these games during the PS2 era and waited on buying the collection on the PS4 for a discount, since while the gameplay's fine by me, the rest of it seems really phoned-in. No lip movement during most cutscenes? Unskippable text during most story scenes? Insufferable voicework? No real visual upgrade other than being made widescreen? Sorry, that's not my idea of a "remaster." Zodiac Age did it way better.

Romancing SaGa - All my characters have skills that hit all enemies, and I'm having a blast. I finished the quest regarding getting a feather from a giant bird's nest, which necessitated upgrading my climb ability.

Toukiden: Kiwami - On Chapter 7, going through the side-missions before taking on the story missions. I think the defensive playstyle is my favorite, since I get a little gauge that takes hits instead of my character's HP.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: September 30, 2018, 08:54:05 AM »
.hack//G.U. Last Recode - On the first game right now, and I have to say, boy am I glad I didn't play these games during the PS2 era and waited on buying the collection on the PS4 for a discount, since while the gameplay's fine by me, the rest of it seems really phoned-in. No lip movement during most cutscenes? Unskippable text during most story scenes? Insufferable voicework? No real visual upgrade other than being made widescreen? Sorry, that's not my idea of a "remaster." Zodiac Age did it way better.
Uhhh have you seen the original game? They tinkered with the graphics a LOT more than just making it widescreen. Gotta disagree with you regarding the voice work. Gaspard's not my favorite, but I think everyone else in the game ranges from fine to great, and most manage to get their characters perfect when they did their recordings for Vol. 4 a decade later.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: October 01, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »
Berseria - Just starting to explore The Empyrean's Throne.
Nice of Magilou to finally join the battle party after hanging around so much (I've swapped out Eizen for her for the time being). Of course, this means the obligatory obnoxious small mascot makes its appearance. Why do some Tales games have to have some annoying creature with an equally annoying voice in the party? Things were just fine before that blabbermouth started with his/her/its shit. At least he/she/it is consistently picked on by Magilou.
I sank 6(-ish) real bucks into pirate costumes, because Velvet wearing a parrot on her shoulder during serious scenes is worth it. Plus, I like the hats.
I really like the game so far. Easily in my top 3 Tales games of all. The only thing I don't appreciate is a common complaint: The dungeons are tragically uninspired. They seem like what a 10 year old DM would create in a table top game. Good thing said dungeons don't go on too long (yet), and combat is fun.

TEW2 - Still exploring the town in Chapter 3. Taking my time, because stealth, because enemies seem difficult to kill in open combat (or I just really suck at it, which is most likely the case). At one point, I ran into the creature that stalks you while creepily singing to you through the controller. Was very happy to be done with that sequence.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: October 01, 2018, 10:06:41 AM »
CRAWLING along near the end of Skies of Arcadia.  About to fight Galcian, I think. 

My new job has more or less halved my available free time.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: October 01, 2018, 11:09:38 AM »
DQXI: Wrapping things up before cashing in those Orbs. Because I'm running Draconian Quest though its taking awhile to make sure I've collected as much as I can before finishing things up here. On the upside, while I have been mulling about, I was indeed crazy/persistent enough to polish off the Crossbow Sidequest. The Happy Hat is much appreciated.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.