Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8205 on: November 30, 2018, 02:34:02 PM »
Octopath Traveler

Primrose got Giant Boar'd.  She'll need to recuperate on the sidelines for a bit.  That means H'aanit stays in the lineup for a while longer.

Still not to Borderfall yet!  Just did a couple sidequests.  This is how slowly I have to play games.  Grr.

Still, doing the sidequests led to me a nice moment where the game told me "You Summoned Lost Grandfather".  Never thought I would do that.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8206 on: December 10, 2018, 05:24:48 PM »
Finally beat Torchlight 2.  It's a fantastic game.  But also highlighted every issue I have with playing a hack n slash with a mouse and keyboard.  Since you left click to both move and attack, time and time and time again when the screen was filled with enemies, I would be trying to fall back to a safer position and would instead just stand there like an idiot firing my pistols (because there was hardly any space to click on anything but monsters) and getting torn to shreds.  Other times, I would click on a monster to attack and instead my poor, sweet dullard of an outlander would start running headlong into danger without letting off a single shot.  At least give me wasd or something... it was infuriating,  and would never be an issue with a controller.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:28:07 PM by Rucks »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: December 11, 2018, 10:30:26 AM »
Octopath Traveler

I got all 8 Travelers!  Current party is: Alf, Oph, Therion, and Olby.  I even got the Merchant and Warrior sub jobs, and that's been a blast.  Gave Merchant to Olberic because it seemed like it would help him with Challenges.  Gave Warrior to Alf and have kinda made him more of a support/tank than the physical attacker he has mostly been.  Olberic is obviously still better suited to tanking with his special Defend ability, but Alf still makes a good one with Hale & Hearty and Cover equipped (his resistance to ailments help a bit here too).

Also did Alf's second chapter, which was really good.  I am loving each story vignette.  They're really well crafted and interesting, and the number of diverse locations and towns makes me very happy.
Also really enjoyed what limited party interactions there have been.  So far I've only seen 3 with Alf and the other 3 party members I'm using, and they ranged from "mostly generic" (with Olby) to "legitimately hilarious and charming" (with Ophilia).

What a fantastic game.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Gregosa

• View Profile
« Reply #8208 on: December 15, 2018, 07:31:18 PM »
Started Costume Quest 2 today. Hoping to resolve the cliffhanger from the first game soon. Had to endure a bunch of battles with the candy corn costume before I unlocked pterodactyl.

Edit: Got the Krono Trigger achievement this Sunday. Pretty cool reference.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:28:03 PM by Greganox »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: December 17, 2018, 10:08:15 AM »
Octopath Traveler

About halfway through the Chapter 2 portion of the game.  Just finished up Olberic's, which had some really good bits.  Nice "honorable warrior" tropes, which are fun, with even a little bit of cuteness from Cecily, who I liked right away (but didn't necessarily trust at first, after Alfyn's run-in with a "new friend" in his chapter 2).
I will say, though, that tanking with Incite and defense buffs made Olberic's ch2 almost comically easy.  However, the couple one-on-one duels they make you do still have the potential for a lot of difficulty if you haven't customized Olberic for them.  I had, fortunately. :P

Therion's story continues to be underwhelming, but still good.  I like the portions with him and the Lady Ravus, of course, since she contrasts so well with the rest of Therion's world.

And, of course, Ophilia continues to be adorable, so much so that I kinda feel like she's the frontrunner for Favorite Character at this point.  She had yet another absolutely precious encounter with Alfyn.  I love that, at least in the English localization, you don't get the sense at all that she is "accidentally" flirting, but legitimately is interested in getting to know Alfyn better as a person and as a man.  This gives her character much more richness, as I believe it compliments her modesty and spirituality well, as well as offering a nice contrast to her central characteristic of selflessness.  It's nice to see that she can be interested in pursuing things for herself, as well as constantly working for the benefit of others.  This is crystalized further when Therion teases her playfully and she picked right up on it: she's savvy when it comes to interacting with the opposite sex and can handle herself, even if her default is still to be the Blushing Maiden.
I loved her Ch2.  It was a nice surprise to see that fulfilling her central objective was basically instantaneous and had no cliché roadblocks, so she just spent the rest of her Ch2 helping people just to help them, without any obligation on her part.

Up next, Tressa!

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: December 18, 2018, 06:38:25 PM »
I played through Let's Go Pikachu! and blazed through the endgame battles since I saved all my power-up items for the end. I definitely enjoyed it more than other mainline games in the series, and actually liked it more than Breath of the Wild. Not quite the Fire Emblem: Awakening of the series, but it sort of comes close.

I'm also working on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and IMO it mostly does open-world gameplay right.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8211 on: December 19, 2018, 07:15:31 PM »
Been busy running about 10-15hrs a week but found time to finish XBC2. I've always said that anytime you play a Takahashi game its at least (for me) a 9/10. XBC2 is no different. Sure it has its hiccups (that map) but the battle system once it gets going past say Chapter 5 is really shines. The story is far from flawless but definitely has it moments. The game world while lacking the secret areas that XBCX had is fun to explore and maybe? overall bigger than XBCX. I dunno how the heck they made a game this huge in such short time. 130hrs logged in, I completed I guess close to about 60% of quests.

KOS-MOS built up and stuck on an ether user really obliaterates everything in a chain attack.  Favorite rare blades I got: KOS-MOS, Ageon (the only blade to get me out of the nightmare battles), Cossette (best healer), Percival (great tank/attack hybrid). 

I was going to wait on Torna but started it up for an hour. It sure doesn't look like a cheap cash in. The graphics are even improved. Tweaked battle system (its good!) and the MC looks to be an excellent one.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8212 on: December 23, 2018, 10:00:54 PM »
about 10hrs in and damn Torna is good. Its a shame I already know the ending. In fact play Torna 1st. And even if you no desire to play XBC2 play Torna anyway. Its worth it. The battle system is easier to understand and by playing Torna 1st you wont get the what's shaping up to be a better story spoiled.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: December 24, 2018, 09:31:15 AM »
about 10hrs in and damn Torna is good. Its a shame I already know the ending. In fact play Torna 1st. And even if you no desire to play XBC2 play Torna anyway. Its worth it. The battle system is easier to understand and by playing Torna 1st you wont get the what's shaping up to be a better story spoiled.

I certainly plan to. Once I get a Switch. I already bought the game, mind you...just gotta save up...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: January 04, 2019, 05:02:10 PM »
Megadimension Neptunia VII - This game is weird (bear in mind I know Jack shit about the series itself), and I kind of feel like a creep for playing it.... However. I'm having fun, and it runs at a refreshingly quick pace. Plus, I don't hate the characters... Yet, anyway.
Just got to the Hyperdimension portion of the game. Starting with Noire's chapter. So much pointless content. Bring it on.

Haven't been playing much else lately. Mainly Minecraft with my son. Been on and off sick the last few weeks. Great way to spend the holidays.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: January 04, 2019, 06:57:01 PM »
Still working on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and have been having a lot of fun doing sidequests and such.

Also working on the Minion Quest in the 3DS Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and while a bit grindy, it's actually been rewarding with the story and all.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8216 on: January 07, 2019, 01:57:26 PM »
I just can't seem to tear myself away from Smash Ultimate, even though I have already finished World of Light.  So dang addictive.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8217 on: January 13, 2019, 09:18:45 AM »
Finished Torna and clocked in about 45 hours.  9/10. The story is very good (you could play either game first - though you might not understand what happened at the ending of Torna until you play XBC2 1st - ending was very well done tho). Plus that final boss fight (while not that hard, I did a ton of quests) was extremely fun. It has the best battle system of all the Xeno games. Only problems being the quests didn't have voice acting

More JPRGs these days need to clock in at the 30-50 hour mark. I think some games needlessly stretch their games out I guess to supposedly get your monies worth (Tales games especially and to a lesser extent FF does too).  If you dont have 80 hours of story to tell, don't make a game 80 hours long.

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #8218 on: January 13, 2019, 06:31:14 PM »
God Eater Resurrection: The camera is freaking terrible, and has often cost me missions, especially when fighting against multiple boss monsters.

Pokemon: Let's Go, Eevee! - I have the whole game world opened up to me now and have had a good fun exploring and battling other trainers.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: January 19, 2019, 07:04:44 PM »
I had no idea Digimon Story - Cyber Sleuth would end up as a sort of spiritual sequel to the .hack series. Went in expecting a fun romp with my long time favorite 'mons and a silly anime plot, came out with a game full of heart, decent-to-great characters and god-tier music. A little gem, despite the rough edges here and there. Dat ending.

Been playing copious amounts of Monster Hunter World too. Finally another good entry in the series after the lackluster 3DS games.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:08:38 PM by Draak »