Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #8280 on: July 01, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
Samurai Shodown (PS4) and 15 other fighting games - BlazBlue, Dragon Ball Fighterz, Soul Calibur VI, SSBU, etc. It's been a while since I was so heavily engaged with the fighting game genre, and boy does it feel good to be back! SamSho is my latest, and toughest challenge yet. I don't think I've won a single round against the default CPU, so I guess I'll have try the tutorial for once. :P I remember the basics, but this series is such a huge shift compared to modern fighting games that it takes a lot to get used to. I'm looking forward to it, though. This kind of unrelenting challenge is what got me into fighting games in the first place!

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4) - Completed the campaign and all submissions just in time for the DLC to go on sale. I'm looking forward to playing it again...but maybe not so soon, I kind of burnt myself out a bit...

Castlevania Collection (Switch) and Contra Collection (Switch) - God I missed these games! Clever level design combined with awesome aesthetics and fantastic music. Now if only I didn't suck so hard, I might actually see the endings of some of these. XD

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch) - It genuinely feels like the sucessor to Castlevania 3 and I'm loving every minute of it! I think I'll finish it before I start up Ritual of the Night, especially since I'm seeing a lot of reports of framerate and input lag on the Switch versions that need to be ironed out.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate (Switch) - I expected to be...not so great, but it still managed to disappoint me with its subpar and outright unfair level design at times. This one definitely should've spent more time polishing its levels instead of worrying about DLC, but crowdfunding obligations clearly required the latter. The alternative modes are more enjoyable than the main game, but it still doesn't make up for it, IMO.

Persona 4: The Golden (PSVita) - I don't know why I expected this to be so much better than Persona 3 when my main problems with P3 stemmed from its most praised and unique feature: the school life sim-lite elements. It's still a better game - your team doesn't get too tired so often early on, levels are broken up more naturally instead being forced to wait until the next full moon to progress (I don't mind dungeon crawlers pacing themselves for story reasons as long as they don't make it seem arbitrary), you can control your characters during combat, and so far I haven't been forced to do anything that doesn't directly relate to dungeon preparations, even though I definitely think the game is harder to encourage you to slow down...which I'm not gonna do, because it's an effing RPG and I want to engage in combat.

On that note, I still mainly take issue with how the game forces me to choose between engaging with its world, and exploring dungeons, since that means that no other activity is worth it to me - it's like restaurants the offer multiple sides, but only pick one side to go with your meal. Combat is like french fries in that analogy, in that they all other possible choices irrelevant. Of course I'm going to choose the one I know I'll enjoy.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: July 03, 2019, 08:41:50 PM »
Took a break from VC4 to play Horizon. Horizon is definitely good. The combat is very solid. Story is OK, albeit a little toooo serious, throw a little bit of wackiness in there guys its not going to hurt in what looks to be an 80hr game.

Just arrived at Meridan and the difficulty just ramped up. Those damn birds just spot me all the time. I'm level 20 and did pretty all the sidequests. Plz don't make me grind.

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: July 08, 2019, 09:23:26 PM »
Bought a Switch yesterday from a friend that wanted to part with his. Atm I'm playing New Super Mario Bros Deluxe. So far its been a solid platforming experience and the level design feels much better than NSMB2. Recently completed the ice world. I was stuck on the boo house in that world for quite a while.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: July 12, 2019, 11:37:48 PM »
Got a PS3 recently (and then NNK gets a PC port announced so :    )). Aquanaut's Holiday 3 is... really handholdy. I'm fine with having to buy nav buoys to expand the map. I'm fine with little missions like in Everblue 2 or Endless Ocean. The game feels like it's discovering things *for* you though and that's a problem -- like you go near a point of interest and get multiple camera pans around it, and Jessica radios to tell you How Interesting Of a Point of Interest This Is. I think part of the problem is that the map is... kind of small and not very deep (the ocean floor is always visible from what I've seen so far) so it's really easy to find things inadvertently since they're so visible and close together.

Tokyo Jungle's a lot of fun to me (something satisfying with the ambush timing stuff, idk!) but the in-game DLC teases for some of the animals annoys me. Guess that was common with this generation though?

Briiiefly checked out Nomad. The dialog has a lot of weird syntactical errors that make me think bad translation but afaik it's made by some people from Florida so it's entirely possible that the errors are deliberate to drive home the point that the aliens are not in fact speaking English. Gonna play with it some more. Also see if I can get DOSBox to do something with the Disney Sound Source/Covox Speech Thing? options.

Replayed Ultima 7 earlier this year. The interactivity and living world aspects still really impress me but back in the day I approached this as a sandbox game and never tried to play it productively. I tried to play it productively this time and... didn't enjoy it very much. Bringing up the h-word again but the back half of the game is very handholdy and really just consists of the Time Lord telling you to visit three dungeons and then going back to him to find out how to solve the minor puzzles in those dungeons, and then the story just kind of ends without going anywhere. Also prior to that the number of NPCs that actually drive the game forward is really low. Once you get past Trinsic, you talk to Lord British, he points you to some gypsy in Minoc, she tells you to talk to the wisps in Yew (and two other things that don't seem to actually matter), there's like two minorish subquests to talk to said wisps, and then after that you meet the Time Lord and are in the end game. All the other NPCs are pretty much for flavor. Which is jarring because in 4 and 5 (and 3 to an extent. It was less talky overall, though!) you really needed to talk to everyone to get clues on how to proceed and had to put everything together yourself. I don't know, 4 and 5 just felt so much bigger and tightly designed to me.

Wanna try 6 but I don't remember if it's closer to 4/5 or 7 in its design philosophy and I'm afraid of getting disappointed since I have pleasant memories of 6 :S
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: July 13, 2019, 08:11:13 PM »
Ultima VI is definitely closer to VII than V. And yeah, U7 needs Serpent Isles to have anything resembling a conclusion (unfortunately there really isn't a definite conclusion to The Guardian Saga as a whole thanks to EA and the way the series was dragging itself around by that point).

Anyways, I've been spending my pre-Fire Emblem release time playing through Xenoblade Chronicles 2's Torna DLC. It was pretty good and cool up until the filler, but then the gameplay itself is fairly tight minus the usual 50+ customization schemes. Kinda want them to tone it down a bit so as to not make half of their mechanics either too cumbersome to wield or their challenges too min-maxy to deal with beyond 'solving' it. After I'm done with this tomorrow, I'll probably spend the remainder of the wait going over the rest of XBC2's DLC (don't know if I have the time to start a NG+ run).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: July 16, 2019, 08:55:11 AM »
DQXI - Finished the main story. Running around the post-game at this point. Starting to get burned out on the game (right around 80 hours in), but I’m still enjoying it, and I know there’s plenty left to do, so I’m playing it in small doses these days.

Just Cause 3 – Finished. Heck of a fun time. Moving around between use of the grapple; parachute; and wingsuit is awesome. Destroying things is also awesome. The game got easier as it went, because you get some crazy powerful weapons along the way.
My biggest gripes are that cars have too much of a simulation feel for such an action-packed game, and the northern (biggest) island is mostly empty.

Zelda: BotW – Finally got around to starting this. Interesting take on the Zelda series. Not sure how I feel about it as a whole yet, as I just jumped off the starting area… Sure don’t like the weapon stamina thing so far. Plus, some areas seem almost completely empty. Holding stronger judgement for now, though.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: July 20, 2019, 06:32:53 PM »
Haven't played much FE in anticipation of Three Houses but I am currently revising Fates Birthright. Not much out of the ordinary this playthrough, but I do plan to play Azura and Azama's paralogues as I've never done them before.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: July 25, 2019, 05:16:31 PM »
Got a PS3 recently (and then NNK gets a PC port announced so :    )).

It's not so bad, at least you can play Nier and Demon's Souls.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: July 26, 2019, 09:00:47 PM »
5 hours into FE:3 Houses. Cold steel 3 is going to have a hard time topping this for GOTY. Yes they shamelessly copied the CS/persona social stuff but they did it extremely well. Art direction is crazy good, its got that sketch anime look that I love. Looks to be a good story might be taking root as well.

Went w/ the Black Eagles, just because I thought everyone would go w/ Golden deer

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: July 26, 2019, 11:24:49 PM »
Also started Fire Emblem Three Houses today. I also picked Golden Eagles. Completed the second bandit battle so far.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: July 27, 2019, 12:15:35 AM »
I went with team Animal House. Already regretting it due to being sent into Double Secret Probation for my shenanigans.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: August 16, 2019, 09:35:12 PM »
I went with team Animal House. Already regretting it due to being sent into Double Secret Probation for my shenanigans.

I'm happy w/ team Edgelord. on chapter 8 now. my party is just obliterating everything now.  They've kind of balanced out the units, archers are much stronger, mages aren't as squishy. The only real useless character is once again the pegasus knight, which is somehow even more useless.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: August 17, 2019, 07:43:45 AM »

I'm happy w/ team Edgelord. on chapter 8 now. my party is just obliterating everything now.  They've kind of balanced out the units, archers are much stronger, mages aren't as squishy. The only real useless character is once again the pegasus knight, which is somehow even more useless.
One way to try and make a Pegasus Knight more useful is to have them go through Wyvern Knight to give them some better strength growths for ten or so levels.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: August 19, 2019, 09:10:37 PM »

One way to try and make a Pegasus Knight more useful is to have them go through Wyvern Knight to give them some better strength growths for ten or so levels.

I've only been able to kroot the professors. I made Flayn a pegasus knight. Magic users do 0 damage but she only does like 5-6 hp of damage herself

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: August 20, 2019, 06:59:17 AM »
Yeah Flayn as a Peg Knight feels like a bait. She isn't really got the strength for it and her magics good.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD