Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 04:56:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327438 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 102 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 33714 times)
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2014, 08:44:45 PM »

FF games are shit because they're made by Square and Square doesn't know what they're doing. Writing's irrelevant.

Good reasoning, everything that comes out of Square is automatically shit just because it came out of Square.
Oh and also, 999 is a visual novel, it's going to be extremely descriptive and wordy, it's not a walking simulator or a valve game or whatever else example you can think of. Im also surprised by that remark considering you apparently like MGS games which break your rule of "show rather than tell" so many damn times.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 09:05:52 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2014, 09:13:31 PM »

I think the only time I noticed good writing was for Radiant Historia and Trails in the Sky.  Easy to read, and well-written dialogue made cutscenes flow nicely.

I also know when it's crappy like Wild Arms 2.  Or of course, when NISA refuses to spell-check and grammar check and create a real mess that even fan translations have trumped.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »

ToS isn't a particularly difficult game... I'm pretty sure you can combo and manually block. Are you doing that?

I'm pretty sure I am. I don't possess hax skills or anything, but so far this is at least as hard as Eternal Sonata PS3 version, except with suicidal AI.

999's writing fell apart for me because, from what I saw, it violated "show, don't tell" in a huge way. That's the fatal problem. The diction, weasel words, needless similes, the character cracking wise about every object I clicked on... sunk it to the level of reading like a mediocre MLP fanfic, sure, but in and of themselves, they're not as damning as the (completely unnecessary) telling instead of showing coming from the narrator.

I'm not particularly interested in the subject matter of that game, but I do know wise cracking and lots of unnecessary commentary are pretty much interactive adventure game staples. Not going to comment on if it is a good thing or not.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »

Keep Raine on your team, attack combo and block the next hit (enemies are pretty predictable).  Make sure you're set to semi-auto (iirc, select button till it says semi-auto), and cook at least basic ingredients for quick healing between battles.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2014, 09:36:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure I am. I don't possess hax skills or anything, but so far this is at least as hard as Eternal Sonata PS3 version, except with suicidal AI.

You can fiddle with the AI settings and I think turn on/off various skills the AI partners use? Also you regain MP by attacking, so your mages ARE going to do that if they run out of MP, which happens more early on. Also if you're early in the game, I think you just have Lloyd and three mages who don't really have any damage output potential. It gets easier once everyone has some more skill options. Like the first dungeon or two are harder for this reason. The game improves a lot in every way once you get started on your journey proper.

999 is a visual novel, it's going to be extremely descriptive and wordy

I'm talking about word economy. Being a visual novel does not give you a free pass to being needlessly verbose any more than being a regular, book-type novel does.

Screenshot I pulled up from GIS.

In the first one, you have a picture of the wristband thing, clearly displaying the, uh, large, circular LCD display. The player can SEE that it looks like a watch (but isn't), and that it's only displaying one number. So why devote text to describing what's already being shown, visually? What's already apparent? Around the same time, you also get he narrator talking about how Junpei wants it off and how he's trying to remove it -- in lieu of dialogue from Junpei showing his own thoughts/emotional response to the watch.

Also, the ordering of the sentences -- talking about the LCD display, the construction of the wristband, and then the display again -- doesn't really flow naturally. You could have a single sentence saying that it was shaped like a watch, but had a face that only displayed a single number. You don't need to drown the description in text.

In the second screenshot... the narrative bit... again I want to say there's nothing necessary there. The top screen? That's fine. Junpei looking at the mirror and saying "What's up with my face..." conveys, in five words, and using the character's own monologue, everything relevant that the second screen took three sentences to convey (using a detached and emotionless narrator).

Breaking down the bottom screen sentence by sentence, though...

1. We already have the key. It's apparent that it was taken and that Junpei has it somewhere on his person now. This doesn't need to be here.

2. Telling instead of showing. No emotional resonance. Not conveying anything about Junpei's character. Passive and talking about intentions instead of actions -- "He started to leave, but..." would have worked better, because there's an actual action there. Intending to do something as minor as walking away from a mirror but then not doing it is a non-action -- it's an event that didn't happen and it's non-happening doesn't matter much, so why even have it in there?

3. 15 word sentence is emotionally detached, edging into purple prose territory, and made redundant by the top screen saying the exact same thing, in fewer words, and with more emotional resonance.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2014, 09:50:35 PM »

I'm talking about word economy. Being a visual novel does not give you a free pass to being needlessly verbose any more than being a regular, book-type novel does.

Screenshot I pulled up from GIS.

In the first one, you have a picture of the wristband thing, clearly displaying the, uh, large, circular LCD display. The player can SEE that it looks like a watch (but isn't), and that it's only displaying one number. So why devote text to describing what's already being shown, visually? What's already apparent? Around the same time, you also get he narrator talking about how Junpei wants it off and how he's trying to remove it -- in lieu of dialogue from Junpei showing his own thoughts/emotional response to the watch.

Also, the ordering of the sentences -- talking about the LCD display, the construction of the wristband, and then the display again -- doesn't really flow naturally. You could have a single sentence saying that it was shaped like a watch, but had a face that only displayed a single number. You don't need to drown the description in text.

In the second screenshot... the narrative bit... again I want to say there's nothing necessary there. The top screen? That's fine. Junpei looking at the mirror and saying "What's up with my face..." conveys, in five words, and using the character's own monologue, everything relevant that the second screen took three sentences to convey (using a detached and emotionless narrator).

Breaking down the bottom screen sentence by sentence, though...

1. We already have the key. It's apparent that it was taken and that Junpei has it somewhere on his person now. This doesn't need to be here.

2. Telling instead of showing. No emotional resonance. Not conveying anything about Junpei's character. Passive and talking about intentions instead of actions -- "He started to leave, but..." would have worked better, because there's an actual action there. Intending to do something as minor as walking away from a mirror but then not doing it is a non-action -- it's an event that didn't happen and it's non-happening doesn't matter much, so why even have it in there?

3. 15 word sentence is emotionally detached, edging into purple prose territory, and made redundant by the top screen saying the exact same thing, in fewer words, and with more emotional resonance.

Revisit this after you finish the game because I'm curious what you'll think at that point.  Believe it or not, but there is a reason for the game being presented that way.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2014, 09:58:27 PM »

^ nearly forgot about that point.

And Mesh, I think you bring up a lot of good points, but given the medium of story telling here, I think you gotta let it go a bit.
Playing it myself I remember feeling the disconnect between the two halves, but you kinda just gotta ride it out and enjoy it for what it is.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2014, 10:07:23 PM »

Ironically, visual novels tend to have some of the worst writing in video games. 999 has an awesome story, but there's no doubt some of the writing is wonky and unnecessary.

solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2014, 12:33:59 AM »

*ignores everything said about Visual Novels in this thread*

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2014, 06:39:38 AM »

Currently playing Danganronpa. Enjoying it a lot. I'm currently in the trial for chapter 2. I'm annoyed that I fell for the trap though...

Code:
And by fell for the trap, I mean the crossdresser. Prior to that reveal, he was the character I was pairing the main character with in my mind....I suppose that doesn't really matter at this point. But why did they have to make the trap so adorable? If there is anything that I have learned from this game it is that the attractive people die first, which means my new pairing for the main character is Sakura!.....and that probably means she is going to get killed next chapter. Damn.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »

Meshgear, like Elegance said, there is a plot reason(FUNDAMENTAL to the plot, I might add) for the apparently "useless" and detached narration.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:00:43 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2014, 08:08:19 AM »

I hit my first snag in Xillia. The boss in Bermia Gorge annihilated my party because of those damn status effects. I did have Jude and Elize linked so that I could heal everyone and remove remove status effects for the whole party, but it looks like I need to adjust the skills for some of the characters before trying it again. So far this game feels fairly easy, considering how long I took off from playing games, but I guess I have played enough Tales games in the past.
solidbatman
Zetsubou Sensei

The real me exists on the internet!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »

Just finished the Little Busters VN. The ending was very bland. True ending really ruined a good ending. Now diving back into Bravely Default.

Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »

Working on getting the platinum trophy for Rayman Legends.  Also progressing through world 2 in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, and I think I'll get the platinum for this as well.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »

In the Dark World now in A Link Between Worlds. I love having the whole world open to explore. And many dungeons to choose from. But it also confuses me a bit, and makes me think I'm going about things the "wrong" way.
I played through the thieves dungeon, which was pretty fun. I tried to find the red x in the SW corner, but can't figure it out. I suppose I'll just go do the Skull Woods instead.
I'm loving the music in this game. The Dark World theme is great.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 102 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: