Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1955937 times)

ultra7k

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »
Semi hiatus from Lightning Returns at the moment, as I got side tracked this weekend. Will probably end up beating it in the next day or two.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
Thanks to the suggestions of the thread (i.e. none), I've decided to go with The 3rd Birthday. First and foremost is the fact that I hate that the game makes you beat the game at least once to unlock anything beyond the default outfit & default + jacket. Now I have to play through the stupid game four more times to unlock the rest of them.

And while I'm on the subject, the gameplay is really mediocre. I don't know if its my PSP in particular or if its the game's fault but the damn lock-on, camera, and cover mechanics are shoddy pieces of shit. Lock-on will target what's in front of you, most of the time (and if there aren't any high priority targets like orbs nearby). Meanwhile, weapons that don't use lock-on will rely on the camera. Too bad when you bring up such weapons, they will automatically aim in the direction the camera is facing rather than the direction the player is facing. You basically have to switch to a lock-on weapon to get the camera oriented in the right direction before you can bring up the manual aim weapon. And even then, depending on which way the camera was angled, locking-on could very much cause the camera to overshoot its mark anyways. And then there's cover which can randomly drop my lock-on or manual aim mode into a taking cover stance. Its all just so clumsy.

And then there's the other issues like handguns being useless due to being permanently stuck with your dinky default pistol, the plot, the fact that you need to beat the game to unlock alternate costumes, extra DNA boards showing up way too late to be useful beyond being gimmicky like an all drops up board or an all penalties board, and the fact that many of those abilities are gimmicky and useless at best.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »
Just finished chapter 1 in Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy.  It felt like it would be the final chapter in any of the other games.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2014, 08:25:24 PM »
Im waiting for Lightning to return to my home so I can finally end the trilogy.
Im thinking of starting up snatcher and getting through that in a single sitting until Lightning literally returns. Did I mention lightning returns the return of lightning, return return lightning...lightning.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:10:36 PM by Holykael1 »

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2014, 12:23:36 AM »
FF games are shit because they're made by Square and Square doesn't know what they're doing.

This reminds me of Giant Bomb for some reason... haven't visited the site in a long time now.

Anyways.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots:

Really close to finish it in Big Boss Extreme mode and most likely get the Big Boss Emblem for the first time.

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2014, 04:46:13 AM »
FF games are shit because they're made by Square and Square doesn't know what they're doing.

This reminds me of Giant Bomb for some reason... haven't visited the site in a long time now.

Anyways.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots:

Really close to finish it in Big Boss Extreme mode and most likely get the Big Boss Emblem for the first time.

That is impressive. I do recall the motorcycle sequence being the bane of my existence though. I must go back and replay MGS4 since they did add trophies...

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2014, 09:05:18 AM »
Lightning returns arrived sooner than I expected. Seems like I already have a schedule for the rest of the day. I was planning on studying but fuck it.

CluelessWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »
Aeolus -  What the heck!  You tried to warn me about the game yet you choose to play it yourself?  Multiple times too.  Are you a masochist?

Thief -  I played the original back in the day and couldn't make it past the tutorial. I basically suck at stealth games and I still do.  I'm doing a lot better this time around due to easy mode.  I also am playing like a predator (knockouts not kills) since that is what my skills will allow. 
Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
Almost done with Chapter 5 of Bravely Default. This story is getting wackier the longer it goes on. I'm intrigued. I've also played for 50 hours. This is a long game.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2014, 01:33:57 PM »
Aeolus -  What the heck!  You tried to warn me about the game yet you choose to play it yourself?  Multiple times too.  Are you a masochist?

I may have an ulterior motive for playing it outside of it being PE related (especially since I've never played either of the PSX games and I don't give a crap about the anime science jargon bullshit filled plot, Medea's creepiness, or the fact that the whole back half of the plot was all one long tortured excuse to make moé pedo-bait Eve a) somewhat less moé pedo-bait, and b) the main character in place of that old married hag Aya).

It may also be the same reason why I'm waiting for Senran Kagura Burst to go on sale with baited breath, why I got Tekken 6 (for reference, it came with Soul Caliber 4), and why I wish we had gotten one of those PSP Queen's Blade SRPGs.

Or it might be something else entirely (it IS the closest way to getting to play Type-0 currently available).

Anyways, I probably should get back to playing Bravely Default and actually finish chapter 5 this time (instead of straight up beating the game).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

CluelessWonder

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2014, 01:50:14 PM »
Oh my!  I just googled Queen's Blade.  Anyways I think your reason for playing was one of the reasons I stopped.  I really didn't want anymore of her clothes to disintegrate.  I seriously could not of played if I had to stare at her thong.
Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »
So the best new feature of Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy is hints with pictures.  No more reading over the hint 20 times trying to visualize what it's saying.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2014, 05:00:16 PM »
Played LR for about 7 hours straight and it's a really fun game, it's still too early to judge the plot but I havent seen anything "offensive" yet.
Gameplay wise, the combat is awesome and the customization is really well executed. I still dont know how I feel about the time aspect of the game, im currently on day 2, must have done 5-7 side quests and Im in the middle of 2 of the main quests(Luxerion and Yasnaan), I still dont earn enough EP from enemies to abuse Chronostasia all the time but it seems like I will have time to do everything I want, I would have preferred to explore and do things at my own pace without feeling the pressure of the time limit, I hope it becomes a non existent issue soon with chronostasia abuse.

I spent most of my time running around the cities than actually fighting, that felt rather odd, I am digging the challenge tho!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:03:42 PM by Holykael1 »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »
^ Man, I wish I had that kind of time to dedicate to gaming. Not that it matters, since every so often when I do have that kind of time I end up playing for an hour or two before deciding I've had enough.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2014, 05:31:27 PM »
^ Man, I wish I had that kind of time to dedicate to gaming. Not that it matters, since every so often when I do have that kind of time I end up playing for an hour or two before deciding I've had enough.

Technically I shouldnt have the time either. Im just saying fuck this shit to life for a little bit. It's going to come back and bite me in the ass, that's a given. It takes a ton of work to get back on track if you give the middle finger to Computer Science for a while.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:33:37 PM by Holykael1 »