Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1965025 times)

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2014, 06:01:02 PM »
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots:

Took me 4 days but it was worth it in the end.

Only three trophies left!

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
Played the shit out of Tales of Xillia today, and defeated the boss at the Felgana Mines. I'm started to get more used to Xillia's battle system after having played Graces F a lot.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2014, 11:16:16 PM »
I'm at an impasse, I have a sudden desire to replay FFXII, but I have a feeling that just like FFX, as soon as I start it, FFX HD is going to have a successful launch and Square Enix is going to announce FFXII HD.

That, and I don't know if I'd really commit to the whole thing. The only thing I don't like about FFXII is the entire middle of the game is extremely grindy and boring. Everything from after you rescue Leia Ashe from the Galactic Archadian Empire up to infiltrating Archadia itself is a total slog

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2014, 11:22:56 PM »
Played the first hour or so of Vagrant Story today.  I'm really enjoying the super-cinematic presentation coupled with aged-poorly PSX graphics - it's funky looking, but I mostly dig it.  Still getting used to the switching in and out of normal mode and battle mode; still think combat is weird, but not bad-weird.  Need to play more to get a feel for this game. 

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »
I'm at an impasse, I have a sudden desire to replay FFXII, but I have a feeling that just like FFX, as soon as I start it, FFX HD is going to have a successful launch and Square Enix is going to announce FFXII HD.

That, and I don't know if I'd really commit to the whole thing. The only thing I don't like about FFXII is the entire middle of the game is extremely grindy and boring. Everything from after you rescue Leia Ashe from the Galactic Archadian Empire up to infiltrating Archadia itself is a total slog

First: Daaaamn nice avatar!

Second: I *wanted* to love FF12 with every part of me; it looked like all the change I wanted in the series and in a good way.  But I got bored.  It really needed to be about 10% less MMO (random treasure chests? really?) and to ditch Vaan entirely.  The plot also lost me.

On the other hand, I think I need to give it a second chance since it's been ages since I last gave it a go.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2014, 01:07:31 AM »
The best parts of FFXII to me were the Gambit system and the really open fields. Unfortunately, outside of the marks, the espers, and some of the MMO styled mobs, there really wasn't a whole lot of incentive to actually hoof it. Also, the License Board. Also also, my god was the airship useless in that game.

Oh my!  I just googled Queen's Blade.

My apologies for that.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2014, 02:25:18 AM »
Meh.. I could maybe consider XII HD if they had the ZJS. Otherwise there really is absolutely no point, other than... ummm, maybe dual audio? I do sometimes think if the game would feel different if I did a straight story run. All I remember that it was something about magic rocks, which were for some reason the key to fight off an evil empire. I'm pretty sure it made no sense and somehow felt like it assumed that the player already knows the world and its lore.

No big updates on Symphonia. My survavability has increased and now I wonder what on earth should I do with ex skills. Seems like I'll have to read a guide for that. The game isn't really being very incentive about its sub-systems, which tends to annoy me for some reason.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2014, 03:55:31 AM »
I love FF XII but one of it's biggest downfalls i by far the pacing of the plot. In the middle section of the game you get about 20 hours with almost no story progression whatsoever.
I only did a small fraction of the sidequests and beat the game in about 60 hours so I had no problem in following the plot, I thought the story itself was great , even though near the end it went kind of "cliché" with the destiny talk and stuff, it managed to put it's own spin on it by inverting the roles, the villain is actually fightning the gods' control of society and our party were being played as pawns by said gods.

I despise the use of the word "cliché", Im not actually holding it against the game as a complaint, it's just an easy way to explain what I wanted to explain.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:03:24 AM by Holykael1 »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2014, 10:07:35 AM »
First: Daaaamn nice avatar!

It's so fantastic that I changed my Twitter avatar as well.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »
My problem with FFXII's plot stems from the conflict that arose from what Matsumo was going for (i.e. a group of everymen getting involved in large scale, long running conflict that turns them into a platoon of the finest hardened soldiers around, but not beyond what the generic is capable of, which is why they cannot just singlehandedly resolve the conflict outright) versus the usual Final Fantasy paradigm (i.e. a bunch of superhumans get together and work their way up to becoming demigods in order to challenge whatever doom happens to be impending upon the world), which resulted in what we got for FFXII, a bunch of superhumans getting sidetracked by sidequests and other random tangents off in the middle of nowhere while the main body of the plot happens off screen. You can see it best once you get to the late game and start fighting Judges and wave after wave of faceless mooks with almost no difficulty involved on your end.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2014, 10:35:08 AM »
The only thing I didn't like about XII was the lack of cutscenes (same with XIII).  Also, I don't like full customization.  I would have preferred the licence board to be different for each character, rather than them all having the potential to be the same.

Just started chapter 3 in Professor Layton.

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2014, 11:05:19 AM »
I would love a FFXII HD update. I've also been hankering to replay that game. I'm one of the few I guess that really dug it. One of my favorite games from that generation of consoles. It does have its problems, but the good parts heavily outweighed the bad for me. Heck, I played it for well over 100 hours. The plot does get confusing in spots, but I still loved it. Never did finish Revenant Wings and I completely forgot what even happens in that game despite playing it for like 20 hours.

Anyway, Bravely Default progress is slowing down because I hate doing things over and I'm starting to get bored. I need to finish this up before FFX HD though. I want to play the shit out of that without my conscience telling me to go finish Bravely Default or you are a terrible human being.

GrimReality

• Dark Lord of Nostalgia
  • OK, options aren't SO bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2014, 11:20:32 AM »
I actually really enjoyed FFXII. I recall playing it in the vicinity of 120 hours. It's the last Final Fantasy I played to completion. The story was nonsense, but the world was great. I actually really liked the gambit system once I got the hang of it.
I'm with Elegance on the License board, though. I never like the idea of every character being able to do the same things. Takes away some of the individualism.

Zelda: ALBW - I'm still having a hard time finding some of the dungeons, which is annoying. I was in some sort of fire dungeon, then died. I found my way into the Skull Woods dungeon, and am there now. F those goddamn hands!
Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2014, 12:03:29 PM »
The only thing I didn't like about XII was the lack of cutscenes (same with XIII).  Also, I don't like full customization.  I would have preferred the licence board to be different for each character, rather than them all having the potential to be the same.

You really mean lack of cutscenes? XIII alone has 9 hours worth of cutscenes or do you mean the CGI cutscenes?
Full customization has it's upsides, while it certainly homogenizes the party it also gives you the choice to pick your favourite characters without worrying that they suck gameplay wise.(ex: Cyan FF6)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:06:51 PM by Holykael1 »

Elegance

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2014, 12:07:31 PM »

You really mean lack of cutscenes?
Yes, there's a lot in the beginning and end, but the middle is like 95% gameplay.  It's not really a bad thing, I just would have preferred a better balance.

For XIII, I always laugh when people complain about the game being too cutscene-heavy because chances are they only played the first couple of hours.  There's a ton in the beginning, but eventually you're just going from location to location with maybe a one minute cutscene introducing it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:10:25 PM by Elegance »