Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:04:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334784 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 153 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 63579 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »

I still haven't even put the Lightning Returns disc into my PS3 and I've had it since launch day haha. Probably won't anytime soon either because I'd rather replay FFX or Tales of Symphonia.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »

Professor Layton: The Azran Legacy

While I loved the look of the earlier titles, I'm floored by how each new place in this final installment is so bright, colourful, and interesting.  It's almost a shame that it follows a point-and-click style game than following you around with a camera.
Also, to relate to that, I'm glad the game's graphics are so colourful.  The first three Layton titles were somewhat gloomy -- but it worked for the style they went with.  But this time around I'm really delighted with the incredible colours you see here.

Puzzles have been fun, I love how a lot of the top screen "moves" now having pretty enjoyable storybook-like art come to life.  This game was a labour of artistic love I think.

Sorry Bravely Default.  I like you, but we need a break.  For no less than a Professor
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:43:25 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »

I think I may beat Lightning Returns sooner than expected. As I said earlier, I started Day 12 with still a handful of Canvas quests unfinished. I actually decided to try and finish them and it's turning out to be really exciting trying to plan this day so I can do them all in the precious few hours I have left. I've finished Yusnaan and The Dead Dunes, and finishing The Wildlands is simply a matter of praying I planted a vegetable seed in the Moogle Village way back when I did those quests. That just leaves Luxerion, in which I have to kill some Gaunts, Dreadnaughts, and... two other things I can't remember the names of.

I really wish there was a way to "bank" recovery items, what with all the Ethers you start earning for the 3-star Canvas quests.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2014, 09:41:05 PM »

Got Lifeless Planet on Steam. Very basic so far but the mood is fantastic!

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »

Tales of Xillia, about 18 hours in and nearing the end of Chapter 2. Basically, I got past the part where Elize was being a little moody bitch as if she was the angsty teen in a shounen manga.

During some random battles, I tried playing with Alvin since I thought he was the typical swordsman in a Tales game, but he's slow as fuck, so I quckly switched back over to Jude. I remember in Abyss I spent a lot of time switching between Luke and Guy, and in Vesperia I spent time switching between Yuri and Judith, but in Xillia, I haven't liked playing any other character than Jude.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2014, 12:20:47 AM »

Played through Metal Slug 1.

I think I've stopped liking games in general right now. IDK if it's because I've been sick all week or because my job's made me feel dead inside but

dang :(

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2014, 01:10:08 AM »

Mesh, my former job did that to me, but I think it was also psychological. I was working a lot (relative to what people in my position worked on average, but still less than full time) at my job and also playing a lot of video games. The hatred from work was seething into video game playing time, and even back then in 2008 when I was playing Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles, and Persona 4, I still ended up hating video games for a while.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2014, 01:29:46 AM »

Tales of Xillia, about 18 hours in and nearing the end of Chapter 2. Basically, I got past the part where Elize was being a little moody bitch as if she was the angsty teen in a shounen manga.

During some random battles, I tried playing with Alvin since I thought he was the typical swordsman in a Tales game, but he's slow as fuck, so I quckly switched back over to Jude. I remember in Abyss I spent a lot of time switching between Luke and Guy, and in Vesperia I spent time switching between Yuri and Judith, but in Xillia, I haven't liked playing any other character than Jude.

I think Milla plays pretty well.  I agree with you, though, that other than her and Jude and didn't enjoy playing as much of the Xillia cast.

Just makes me think of old Graces f again...that's got to the be only Tales games in which I actually regularly used the entire cast.  Heck, even the mages were fun to play as in that game.  How did they do it?  And why don't they do it again...

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2014, 01:35:30 AM »

I think Milla plays pretty well.  I agree with you, though, that other than her and Jude and didn't enjoy playing as much of the Xillia cast.

Just makes me think of old Graces f again...that's got to the be only Tales games in which I actually regularly used the entire cast.  Heck, even the mages were fun to play as in that game.  How did they do it?  And why don't they do it again...

Didn't people like playing as Rita in Vesperia, spamming Tidal Wave and winning every battle with her on a solo run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs93c9KavvU
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2014, 01:42:53 AM »

I said mages were fun in Graces, not just cheap/broken...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2014, 02:03:44 AM »

...mages were fun in Graces

Amen.

I liked how Xillia tried to put you in control of Rowen's spells and Milla was a pretty capable as an attacking mage....but meh.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2014, 03:02:27 AM »

Alvin's charged sword attacks are fun, but if you aren't shooting things you aren't playing him right. Because yes, donating bullets to enemies' skulls is much faster than swinging that stupidly big sword around.

Can't actually think of a Tales character with a similar playstyle... Sure, there are plenty that do the 'slow but strong' thing right, but they don't have awesome ranged attacks. And ranged fighters in Tales are usually parttime mages while Alvin clearly isn't.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2014, 03:17:43 AM »

Just finished Thief and I have to say I agree with the sentiments expressed in the thief 4 thread.  The game did have a sound problem.  Many times it sounded like a guard was right next to me and not several rooms away.  The sound actually cut out on me during the final  boss "fight" and then froze right after beating it.  I had to do the final fight over to witness the somewhat anticlimactic ending.  Also traveling around the city was confusing.  The map shows roads, not the way Garret travels.  To get to a different section of the map, I would often have to go through a window which wasn't marked on the map.  It think should they do another Thief, they have a lot to improve on.  That said, I still enjoyed the game and would definitely play the next game in the series.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2014, 08:06:10 AM »

Finished Ys: Memories of Celceta last night.  Had fun with it, but it's not as good as Ys: Oath in Felghana was.  I feel it had a lot to do with it being too similar to run-of-the-mill JRPGs with party members.  I like Adol better when he's by himself taking care of business and not having a party of bad anime tropes in tow.  Persona 4 Golden was full of anime tropes too, but I still liked the cast since they were fleshed out pretty nicely.  Celceta's cast was just terrible.

On to Soul Sacrifice!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »

Just finished Thief and I have to say I agree with the sentiments expressed in the thief 4 thread.  The game did have a sound problem.  Many times it sounded like a guard was right next to me and not several rooms away.  The sound actually cut out on me during the final  boss "fight" and then froze right after beating it.  I had to do the final fight over to witness the somewhat anticlimactic ending.  Also traveling around the city was confusing.  The map shows roads, not the way Garret travels.  To get to a different section of the map, I would often have to go through a window which wasn't marked on the map.  It think should they do another Thief, they have a lot to improve on.  That said, I still enjoyed the game and would definitely play the next game in the series.

idk if you played the earlier ones but from what I remember, Thief 1 and 2 didn't have any city hub, the levels were more easy to figure out by merit of having simpler graphics, and I think the sound was more realistic too in terms of how close it sounded?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 153 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: