Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1969461 times)

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2014, 05:41:44 PM »
I KILLED I KILLED I KILLED HIMM. HE IS DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD DEADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.

After 5 hours of endless struggle. I FINALLY KILLED YOU. WHO IS YOUR GOD NOW BITCH. The ending was great, a very satysfing conclusion to the trilogy, the story has the typical JRPG "nonsense" that is still really likeable. What I mean by nonsense is the typical "Power of humanity and love", that type of discourse. It brings a smile to my face when well done. 90% of fantasy works end up having that type of the discourse when the big baddy is being fought. Even in western works like Harry Potter. Im surprised that XIII and XIII-2 didnt fall into that trap for the most part, I wouldnt have it any other way though, it's the logic followup. LR delivered a good conclusion to the trilogy.

Final Thoughts - Great music, some really good characterization behind some characters with strong motivations driving their actions. One of the most rewarding battle systems I played in a long time, That's Lightning Returns in a nutshell, a great JRPG. The dialogue behind the trilogy was always kind of weak(I guess that's what you would call "writing"?) but the actual plots are great, it has good world building with a generally self consistent and rich mythos and really good characters, the characters are battle systems are the highlights of these FF games.

Congrats! Took me 4 or 5 tries myself, and I ended up using everything I had to finally take him down. That boss is.... *stupid* amounts of hard. I agree, I liked the ending, it had everything I was looking for. Some people have mentioned wanting an epilogue, but I would have liked it even better without even the small epilogue we got (which was kind of dumb, really)

I didn't like this one as much as FFXIII-2, due mostly to the unconventional character development which didn't work for me. Normal battles felt mostly pointless until you grinded your way to the Last One, and then most of those can just be dealt with by waiting until the Ultimate Lair opens.
Thanks! GZ to you too.
Yeah, I was severily underpowered, even tho I ended up unlocking the 14th day, I simply slept the last 5 days away because I was done. I only got the Last one Skeleton and I had really shit equipment. My best piece of equip was the Chaos Sword that drops in the WildLands main quest boss.
Code: [Select]
Regarding the characterization, I enjoyed Snow(Especially Snow), Noel, Caius, Lightning(by extension Lumina), Mog and Fang. Sazh was retreading and Vanille was ugh, Hope was just a plot device..
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:18:29 PM by Holykael1 »

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2014, 06:16:10 PM »
Lol I was talking about Lightning Returns not Dark souls, I simply said that the final day in Lightning Returns was "the dark souls" of the game, as in that it was very challenging. I never played Dark Souls btw.

Dark Souls is not that much of a challenge after 1.04 in my experience. Still, for a moment I thought you were talking about Dark Souls there and I linked the page to the patch notes just to make my point a bit more clear.

Glad you are enjoying LR by the way. I haven't even touched my copy yet.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2014, 06:21:41 PM »
I liked everything about the story and characters (for the most part). I was referring to the stat upgrades through questing when I mentioned the unconventional character development.

Also, I think Hope's role in XIII-2 and LR was merely the team making up for him just being along for the ride in XIII
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:23:50 PM by Klutz64 »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2014, 03:50:51 AM »
So.... The "translations" for Tales of Symphonia's landmark stones are pretty special.

Um.

I've heard they're ALL this bad too.  And they read like Google Translate.
I would have never noticed since these are such a small part of the game...but all of a sudden I have a renewed interest to seek them out.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2014, 05:22:01 AM »
I really don't get what they were going at with this world map system. It just generally plays like ass and the minimap isn't too useful either.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2014, 11:08:50 AM »
So.... The "translations" for Tales of Symphonia's landmark stones are pretty special.

Huh. Was it like that in the original Cubejoy version?
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 09, 2014, 11:27:35 AM »
Dangan-Ronpa

Really liking it so far. My only issue would be with the rhythm part of the trial. Feels slightly out of place and doesn't have that fun aspect that comes with actual rhythm games.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2014, 12:50:03 PM »
I really don't get what they were going at with this world map system. It just generally plays like ass and the minimap isn't too useful either.

.... i dunno, does it?  Feels like most world maps to me which are mostly kinda crummy and kinda grand.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:06:44 PM by Dice »

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2014, 01:37:37 PM »
I have been thinking about the ending of Lightning Returns and how awesome it actually was, it really brought the deep mythology to a beautiful closure quite literally. Damn I loved it, this will be a cult classic, it's so good. The metacritic score it got is a fucking joke tbh but it doesnt matter, reviews are worthless for me anyway as I have stated previously.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:45:50 PM by Holykael1 »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »
@Tomara: Gotta be honest, all that sounds really boring to me. I am sort of interested in the game so I'll see for myself later.

I guess it's not as spectacular or energetic als some other recent JRPGs, but it's such a pleasant game to play. The clear structure makes it really easy to get into. And the alchemy systems is still complex, but the game has easy to understand tutorials for everything. And it's not like the characters are boring. They're still weird, but more of a 'quirky, but still functions well in society' kind of weird.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2014, 02:43:07 PM »
I liked everything about the story and characters (for the most part). I was referring to the stat upgrades through questing when I mentioned the unconventional character development.

Also, I think Hope's role in XIII-2 and LR was merely the team making up for him just being along for the ride in XIII

Whaccatalkinbout? Hope had the most character development out of anybody in FFXIII-1. You got to watch his mom die like a chump (immediately after proclaiming that "Moms are tough!"), make friends with Vanille, get all angsty and brooding on getting revenge against Snow (and walking him through the first part of this was half of Lightning's overall role in the game), hang out at his home town, get saved by Snow (and subsequently abandoning his revenge plot), crash at his place, meet his dad, get sold out by his dad, and even gets his summon during the plotless void that is the training montage on Planet Namek. And on top of forming the most connections between his fellow party members out of the entire party (between Lightning, Snow, and Vanille, whereas Lightning and Snow's connection ran through Serah-chan, Fang was the sixth ranger tied only to Vanille, and Sazh only got Vanille, the Frocobo, and the shaft (pun not intended)), he's also the third member of the Lightning/Fang power combo.

If anything Hope was the FFXIII trilogy's Wesley Crusher (except for the getting shipped off to the bench academy for the remainder of the series, save for a 'where is he now' episode, part).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dice

• AMG A GIRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2014, 03:14:11 PM »
I get a bit excited when something running a paragraph shows up in an Aeolus post, it's usually filled with chuckles. x)

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »
Sure, Hope does a lot of stuff, but most people I talked to don't think he did anything useful. In XIII-2 he's no longer the useless kid, but
the ass-kicking president of the world who will travel through time to save it if has to, damnit!
Not that I ever thought Hope was useless in XIII. Not only is he a very good party member (and often your only healer!) he helps out in plot related ways as well. I don't care if it was a stupid idea, Hope going all "Yay, robot!" saved everyone a lot of time and effort. Or, if you want something more important: I'm pretty sure that without Hope tagging along, Lightning would have lost her life (or her marbles) before disc 2 since she basically all like "Yay, suicide mission!"

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
One interesting thing that leads into XIII-2 is that in the original XIII Hope has the highest intellect stat, hence why he became a genius scientist who led humanity into greatness.

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »
I get a bit excited when something running a paragraph shows up in an Aeolus post, it's usually filled with chuckles. x)

and spoilers ;)

I kid. I enjoy reading his posts. They are either humourous or informative.