Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 09:54:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338099 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 169 Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 72687 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2014, 08:20:35 PM »

MGS3 - I killed The Spiders. I only used friendship bullets on him, so I got his camo, but he still asploded :(I wanted him to be my Pokemons. And then Para-Medic gave me an advertisement for calorie mates.

I *really* like this game. I wish I was in the mood to enjoy things in general more often 'cause I'd be playing this more.

I sort of feel like playing Dragon Warrior Monsters for no reason.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2014, 09:11:07 PM »

Sure, Hope does a lot of stuff, but most people I talked to don't think he did anything useful.

To be fair to Hope, neither did anyone not named Etro, Fang, or Vanille (although I guess you could say that Lightning disrupting the train at the start was useful since it got Vanille off of it (and Hope and his Mom)).

To break it down, after the train, you have the lake, the junkyard, the forest for Lightning and Hope, the abandoned powerplant for Sazh and Vanille, Palomporom for everybody not named Sazh and Vanille, the Not-Goldsaucer for Sazh and Vanille, and the airship where the band gets back together. During all of this, the party encounters no major events or opposition outside of unlocking Transformers, Lightning's little rant about being pets, Hope's Operation Gank Snow like a little bitch Named after my so very dead mom and ironically Snow's previous operation since Nora seems to be the 'in' name right now Nora, Snow meeting with Cid and Fang (offscreen), Snow attempting to aid a bunch of random villagers/Hope's dad (and failing miserably in every conceivable way possible), Snow and Hope making up, and whatever the fuck went down over at Not-Gold Saucer (that shit made no sense and only existed because the cutscene existed and "We promised to put it in the game dammit."), and meeting with Cid with the party proper on the way to the airship.

After this is the airship and the Space Pope and the named villain who dies like the bitch she was (in fact all she does during the game is haul in Vanille and Sazh after the Not-Gold Saucer bullshit and tries to go through every color coded alert in the book (Dammit Space Pope! She was two days from making it to White Alert. She didn't even get to go through Purple with Yellow Spots, Blackwash Plaid, Barbershop Stripe, and Beige Alerts.)), the cocoon of Cocoon (where a crystal zombie Cid betrays the party to go all One-winged Angel and die fighting against them; at least until he gets better, becomes the new Space Pope, and gets betrayed and shot to death by his own men), the training montage that is Land Down Under (with the side attraction of "Whatever happened to Pulse") and Space Pope MKII, after that is that one cutscene where the team crashes a race, then they bump into the third named villain who turns and helps the party out (I guess, actually I don't think he did anything beyond shouting at people through a megaphone in either case; maybe you get into a boss fight with him, I don't actually remember), and then the grande finale with Space Pope Rivale and Orphane.

The only purpose the fights with Space Pope serves is to serve as a barometric for him to see Fang progress from being the Ragnarok Orphan wants, to becoming the Ragnarok Orphan needs. Likewise, all the battle with Orphan accomplishes is wasting time since Fang isn't falling for Orphan's scheme, and motivates him to step it up by zombifing the majority of the party and ryona-ing Fang in order to force her to take the Ragnarok option, which she does. Then Etro steps in and via Deus Ex Machina frees the party through a technicality which calms down Fang who then symmetrically docks with Vanille to slay Orphan and form the crystal pillar that ultimately foils the plot.

Point-for-point, and pound-for-pound. Very few people have any actual relevance to the events of the game, which to be fair, isn't unexpected given how only a handful of people have a role to play in the plot of the sci-fi movie Logan's Run (of which this game is Squeenix's attempt at remaking; not that the liberal application of anime to the plot helped matters at all).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2014, 04:14:11 AM »

Defense Force incoming:

Tbh I will argue against the "Deus ex Machina" argument for various reasons:(For one I will only use the original FF XIII info so you dont come back with the retort "But that is explained after the fact it doesnt count", if you want to get into the sequels your argument only becomes that much more moot)

1- It was established beforehand both in In game dialogue and Datalog that the reason Cocoon wasnt destroyed during the first war of transgression was because the Goddess Etro pitied the humans that lived in Cocoon as "pets" of the Fal'cie, thus she stopped Ragnarok from killing them all. (Here she simply stopped Ragnarok and didnt break any of the rules in the universe)
2- It's also heavily explained in lore(see Analects) that the Goddess Etro is known to deeply care(not to mention that humans were made out of her own blood) for humans and many times reward acts of bravery and great courage and pity humans that were treated unfairly thus why she did what she did in the end of FF XIII. (By decrystallizing people and turning Cieth back to human form, she broke the rules of the universe thus created the paradox that led to the events of FF XIII-2)

If you still argue that it is "Deus Ex Machina", I will make the ridiculous argument that every fiction ever conceived is based upon Deus Ex Machina, simply for the fact that all stories have convenient aspects to them with highly unlikely chances of happening, how come it was the protagonist's specific sperm cell that fecundated the egg, it has a 1 in hundreds of million chance of that happening at best, it was so convenient that the act of conceiving that specific person happened at that time so he could be born and the story could happen the way it did, you can make loads of arguments like this, how come in The Last of Us there is always a garbage thing so that they can always climb when they specifically need to, isnt that super convenient?(I think not Im just being pedantic for the sake of proving a point)...
My point is, as long as something has a good foundation and background as I think the Goddess Etro has in FF XIII, it's fine to use in the plot because it wont feel like it came out of nowjhere and was pulled out of the ass. The reason Cocoon still even exists at the time of FF XIII is Goddess Etro herself, it's a central plot poiint with solid roots supporting it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:34:55 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2014, 04:26:22 AM »

It may not technically be a deus ex machina, but it sure feels like one. Final Fantasy XIII has some really cool mythology, but it's so well hidden that it's possible to miss large parts of it. If I recall correctly, Etro is only mentioned a few times (and is usually refered to as just the goddess), which makes it very easy to write her off as something irrelevant.

Using a world's mythology as just a backdrop is fine when you're telling a small scale, personal story. But when it's as important as in Final Fantasy, you should spend more time showing some of it. Pulse would have been a good place for that. But nope, they shoved nearly everything into the datalog as just plain text.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2014, 04:38:12 AM »

It may not technically be a deus ex machina, but it sure feels like one. Final Fantasy XIII has some really cool mythology, but it's so well hidden that it's possible to miss large parts of it. If I recall correctly, Etro is only mentioned a few times (and is usually refered to as just the goddess), which makes it very easy to write her off as something irrelevant.

Using a world's mythology as just a backdrop is fine when you're telling a small scale, personal story. But when it's as important as in Final Fantasy, you should spend more time showing some of it. Pulse would have been a good place for that. But nope, they shoved nearly everything into the datalog as just plain text.

That's indeed a fair criticism. I wont argue against the fact that the story is poorly presented and told(atleast you get some interesting tidbits here and there in game) but I stand by the fact that the plot itself is rock solid, whether it's great or not will be entirely subjective of course.
For what it's worth, the sequels fixed that issue and put the mythology on the forefront of the story.
I can easily overlook a poorly executed plot when the plot itself is great. Substance over style again.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:43:25 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2014, 05:12:23 AM »

*shrug* Considering his previous work, Daisuke Watanabe did a decent job with the XIII series as the lead scenario writer. Especially if it's true what is said in Wikipedia:

"In March 2006, Watanabe joined the team for Final Fantasy XIII after Kazushige Nojima and Motomu Toriyama had conceived a mythology and story for the game, respectively. He was shown a rough outline of the plot until chapter eight and was asked by Toriyama to flesh things out and to correct how it would all connect. Watanabe decided how Toriyama's cutscene ideas should play out, wrote the script and adjusted the personality of each character to emphasize what the story tried to express."

He basically had to put a lot of the mess of ideas together into something coherent and/or meaningful.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2014, 07:04:06 AM »

I didn't know that. Writing a story that way is indeed far less than ideal and now I'm actually surprised it turned out so decently.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2014, 07:07:44 AM »

Dangan-Ronpa

Really liking it so far. My only issue would be with the rhythm part of the trial. Feels slightly out of place and doesn't have that fun aspect that comes with actual rhythm games.
Yeah that is the worst part of the game easily. As the game goes on I countered by using skills that boost focus (you can get the lower version from Hina and the higher version from Celeste's final conversation). Then just hit R and spam button presses out the wazoo.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2014, 10:43:14 AM »

Finally beat that stupid boss in the third land of EO4!

Feels good man!

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »

I think I broke Atelier Escha & Logy... First I kinda made a bunch of accessoires that boost most stats by atleast 30 points (often +50!). Which I used to beat up some tough baddies. That gave me an aurora stone with something called 'comet power' on it, which adds all elements and a bunch of ailments to an attack. I also disassembled an artifact that gave me an attribute that boosts skill power by 30% at no extra cost. Of course I put those on every weapon by creating a loop and using the earth element to generate extra copies. Now I'm murdering things 20 levels higher than me. Once I get some better armour and proper healing items I'll be taking on L70+ enemies. I'm only on assignment 7, but I hope dragons will become available soon. Some extra horns and scales would be nice...
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2014, 09:53:17 PM »

Just finished Chapter 3 in Tales of Xillia (Jude Route). I honestly didn't expect some of the plot twists at the end of chapter 2/beginning of chapter 3, as the story took a whole different direction than what I had expected.

(I guess the spoiler tag doesn't work or something.)

In the beginning of chapter 4 now and I really hate this section of the game. Everyone is acting all moody. I think even Sasuke from Naruto could call these people 'broody-ass pussies' or something. God damn. I hope that changes very soon, as I can tell I'm getting closer to the end of the game.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:13:11 PM by dalucifer0 » Logged
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2014, 10:52:24 PM »

Just finished Bravely Default. Overall it was a good game, even though major points need to be docked for the atrocious handling of the final chapters and making you do the same thing 5 times in order to get the "true" ending. That ending that led into a preview of sorts for Bravely Second was really cool. Hope they learned from their mistakes and this one and make an even better sequel. Now I should get back to Assassin's Creed IV, which I have been neglecting for about 2 weeks since I went head on into Bravely Default. This will be short-lived though as I'm buying a Vita this weekend so I can play FFX/X-2 on the go when I'm not at home playing it on my PS3 next week Can't wait!

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2014, 04:59:59 AM »

Soul Sacrifice is... weird.  I'm not sure what to think of the combat system.  The lore and story so far are pretty interesting though.  The presentation reminds me of the powerpoint segments of Lost Odyssey.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2014, 07:01:02 AM »

Been playing the second DLC for Muramasa Rebirth. Just beat the Night of Endless Chaos last night, so now that I am invincible, time to kill everything between me and the second ending.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2014, 07:29:54 AM »

Dangenronpa

Finished the game. Really liked it overall. I felt in the beginning that two of the other characters make the class trials too easy but by the end I liked it. It felt more realistic that they actually contributed rather than stood there doing nothing. Looking forward to the sequel.

Code:
Damn was that ending ever cheesy though. I was fine with the despair but the "hope bullet" was a bit much. Kind of ruined the atmosphere that the previous trials had. I did suspect the true villain for a long time mainly due to how they first "died". Thought the class picture made it too obvious at the end too. However I was also really suspicious of Chihiro and Yasuhiro too which turned out wrong.Thought for a while that all the characters might be AI and it was all just a simulatiion by the real Chihiro. I also had the ridiculous notion that Yasuhiro was a future version of the main character after he said that the mother of their future children would be the same. I found out the blackened in each trial before the actual class trial although I did make a mistake in trial 2 by assuming it was an accident rather than murder.

I was surprised that the Dining hall was not important at all. Was really suspicious that it was the only place you were not allowed into after 10 PM. Thought it might be due to the Mastermind going there to collect food.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 169 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: