Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 1966403 times)

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »
Sooooo, Final Fantasy IV The After Years (psp complete collection)...

In the last week or two I have managed my way through all the characters seperate chapters with the exception of the final on the list (Kain).

My experience thus far has been a bumpy one, full of peaks and valleys.

What I like so far, I happen to REALLY LIKE... But what makes this game stale is far too abundant in these episodic chapters. To put it bluntly, its a freakin' bore gameplay wise as you progress through the individual character scenarios. Walk a damn near straight path, start to finish, whilst spamming attack. That is it. Save Rydia's chapter, these scenarios have offered zero challenge. The lack of enticing gameplay has given me NO incentive to try out the optional content available post completion of each chapter. Skipping out on these optional areas may be a mistake on my part but I could care less to be honest.

The plot, while terribly predictable in each scenario has proven compelling enough to keep me hooked. The silver lining of the title thus far has been the development of some of the more one-dimensional cast members returning from the original game. Both Polom and Porom have never stood out in my mind as particularly memorable in the past, but seeing what they grew to become has given them new life in my eyes. These two characters were handled particularly well (even if playing through there scenarios was boring). Likewise, the rest of the characters and cast are top notch and without a doubt proving memorable in their own respects for me. It really is cool seeing more personality fleshed out in these familiar faces (sprites).

FF TaY is not all bad thus far however. The writing is good enough to keep it interesting in spite of seeing the same places and event re-unfold time and again. The music and visuals are a spendid over-haul of 16-bit goodness modernized in a way I wish we saw more often.

I hold out hope yet though that things will improve. I can't justify judgement yet because I feel these chapters are merely setting the stage for the main scenario, which I hope and fully expect to "open up" gameplay wise. What I can say with confidence is this.... THEY TAKE WAY TOO LONG TO "SET THE STAGE"!!!! (in a manner of speaking)

In other news..... I think I quit on Mega Man X. I love the idea of mega man. I love the recollection of lots of things from my childhood and some things from my early youth prove awesome to re-experience. Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Chrono Trigger, Lunar amongst many many others I have had a ball watching/playing as an adult. Mega Man is one of those things however that falls into my "Ronin Warriors" category. That category is "cool when I was a kid, but not so endearing nowadays".

On a final note, I am way torn today... I REALLY want to get to Atelier Escha and Dodgy and put FF TaY on the side for now, but after the episodic slog I tortured myself with I really feel I'm on the precipice of it becoming truly entertaining. I think I am gonna have to suck it up and exercise some discipline here... if I put down TaY now, and lose what interest I have in the plot I may not feel terribly enclined to get back to it.

EDIT: I figured I needed something to replace Megaman X and to counter balance FF TaY it had to be action-ee, so I decided to blindly try something I never thought I could possibly like.... The DMC reboot. I got it free off the PSN+ network so I figured "why not".

As someone who HATED the older Devil May Cry games, this feels surprisingly enjoyable. Then again, I'm pretty starved for action titles and would probably eat up just about any that came my way.  But seriously, with how much criticism I heard about this game I expected MUCH worse.

On a final note, for anyone still reading, I want to apologize for the editorial-size-length of this post. See what happens when I don't come on the journal for a week???
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:00:38 PM by Klyde Chroma »
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2014, 07:29:57 PM »
Whydja quit on MMX :V
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
Whydja quit on MMX :V

No good reason really... Same reason I gave up on Mega Man as a kid I think. It basically amounts to this...

In my mind I love Mega Man. Then I play a game, beat a boss get a weapon and feel like I've seen it all. I get my "fix" real quick I guess you might say.

I'm strange in the sense that while I complete almost every RPG I start whether they are 30 hours or 100+, I hardly ever follow through with quick 10 hour action titles. I need to work on that... Maybe it should be a goal this year or something...

Ya know, as I type this I think I need to re-evaluate my position... life (gaming) needn't be so absolute I suppose... I guess I am just "not making any progress" with X at the moment.

I think too much in terms of either "on or off" when it comes to my games. I'm either playing through or their dropped. This needs to change as it a highly restricting mindset.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »
Then I play a game, beat a boss get a weapon and feel like I've seen it all. I get my "fix" real quick I guess you might say.

Oh I feel like this about pretty much every game. Honestly I think five hours is about the longest you can make anything before you've fully explored your gameplay mechanics. This is why I don't usually play RPGs for longer than like ten hours and as a rule never bother to finish games.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2014, 09:58:48 PM »
starting up Persona 2: Innocent Sin and WOW, it doesn't waste time.  I was expecting a more drawn-out beginning.  Now to get to the grind....

Seultoria

• 시발놈
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2014, 10:33:10 PM »
Tales of Xillia. Boy, is the plot in this game really fucking strange or what?

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2014, 12:19:37 AM »
@Klyde Chroma: DmC: Devil May Cry is very much a game for people that never give much of a fuck nor understood the appeal of Devil May Cry.

Is an above average action game in comparison to others games in the genre made in the West (yeah I know that sounds like nasty elitism), as a DMC game however is pretty much a joke. A terrible joke that is also offensive for quite a few fans still.

I personally let that train and the franchise go a long time ago because if Capcom doesn't care, why should I right?

For an action game... well I don't know. Your taste in games seem a bit erratic to me but I say give God Hand a chance if you haven't yet. You can get it from PSN for $10 IIRC.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2014, 12:46:20 AM »

I don't think I could recite back the plot during the "mid-game hoedown" if I tried.

Magic...stuff happened and some people got less happy while others got happier.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 02:59:32 AM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2014, 02:35:54 AM »
So I've cleared map 5-4 in KanColle, which is the last map that's actually available at this time so I guess you could say that I've "beaten" the game.  At least until they add more in an update.  Or there's an event.  The next event is going to be based on Midway and is supposed to be a pretty big one...I know a lot of players are stockpiling resources for it already even though nobody knows exactly when it's supposed to start...

Anyway, I think it's about time I stopped putting so many hours into this game.  Just limit myself to running longer expeditions (so I don't have to spend so much time monitoring them...) and maybe some light grinding and PvP to complete the basic daily quests.  Yeah, that sounds like a plan...

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2014, 09:21:29 AM »
Nearing the end of Atelier Escha & Logy and I'm impressed. Despite being fairly low budget and having a small world filled with re-used enemies, the game still knows how to make something look epic. The music is a good part of it, but I think it's also because you actually have to work toward your goals. In other games you hear about some interesting ruin, find out you need an airship to get there, go through a dungeon or do a little quest to get it and you're on your way. But in Atelier that's the kind of goal the characters work toward for years. If you need something, you're going to have to build it yourself. Bit by bit it takes shape and when it's finally done, you feel like you've accomplished something. Sure, the new area you can now access will probably be small, but you know there are new materials and recipes waiting for you. And new monsters of course. Monsters you can test your carefully crafted bombs and weapons on.

I'm also really digging the lore of this world. The ruins in Atelier Ayesha were interesting, but since this game takes place on the frontier of the dying world, you can really see the effect the damaged earth has on peoples' lives. The mood is different from the cheerful optimism of the Arland games. Melancholic, but stangely calm. There is no obvious solution to the problem the people are facing. Heck, they aren't even sure what they're doing won't damage the world further. But at the same time there's this admirable thirst for knowledge. They want to try everything to make everyone's lives even a bit better, because what else can they do other than continue living?

Well, enough about that. I'm going to slay another dragon ^_^

Blace

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2014, 10:41:37 AM »

I don't think I could recite back the plot during the "mid-game hoedown" if I tried.

Magic...stuff happened and some people got less happy while others got happier.

Agreed. I was very confused during those parts of Xillia, but the characters are good enough to stick through.
@Klyde Chroma: DmC: Devil May Cry is very much a game for people that never give much of a fuck nor understood the appeal of Devil May Cry.

Is an above average action game in comparison to others games in the genre made in the West (yeah I know that sounds like nasty elitism), as a DMC game however is pretty much a joke. A terrible joke that is also offensive for quite a few fans still.

I personally let that train and the franchise go a long time ago because if Capcom doesn't care, why should I right?

For an action game... well I don't know. Your taste in games seem a bit erratic to me but I say give God Hand a chance if you haven't yet. You can get it from PSN for $10 IIRC.

DmC is a great game and I can't stand when people say it is a joke to the franchise. That game was made by Capcom themselves and it is called Devil May Cry 2. I have loved the series since the beginning and still very much enjoy this more Western take. Unfortunately, people who didn't like change are going to destroy any hopes that the people who actually enjoyed this game had for a sequel because it sold terribly.

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
  • The real me exists on the internet!
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »
Nearing the end of Atelier Escha & Logy and I'm impressed. Despite being fairly low budget and having a small world filled with re-used enemies, the game still knows how to make something look epic. The music is a good part of it, but I think it's also because you actually have to work toward your goals. In other games you hear about some interesting ruin, find out you need an airship to get there, go through a dungeon or do a little quest to get it and you're on your way. But in Atelier that's the kind of goal the characters work toward for years. If you need something, you're going to have to build it yourself. Bit by bit it takes shape and when it's finally done, you feel like you've accomplished something. Sure, the new area you can now access will probably be small, but you know there are new materials and recipes waiting for you. And new monsters of course. Monsters you can test your carefully crafted bombs and weapons on.

I'm also really digging the lore of this world. The ruins in Atelier Ayesha were interesting, but since this game takes place on the frontier of the dying world, you can really see the effect the damaged earth has on peoples' lives. The mood is different from the cheerful optimism of the Arland games. Melancholic, but stangely calm. There is no obvious solution to the problem the people are facing. Heck, they aren't even sure what they're doing won't damage the world further. But at the same time there's this admirable thirst for knowledge. They want to try everything to make everyone's lives even a bit better, because what else can they do other than continue living?

Well, enough about that. I'm going to slay another dragon ^_^

Jeez, you're making me want to skip the rest of the Arland games, and skip Ayesha to jump right into Escha and Logy.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2014, 11:44:02 AM »
Well, there's a good reason not to skip Ayesha: same world and some characters make a return in Echa & Logy.

And you shouldn't jut dismiss the Arland games. Totori is really good, since it gives you the same sense of accomplishment. Biggest downside is that the gameplay isn't as convenient as in the latest entries.

Holykael1

• What is a man?
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »
I only played DMC1 and DMC:DMC to completion and I enjoyed both equally.
Tried DMC2 and that was a complete piece of shit, no offense intended to those who enjoy it. Admittedly I havent played the supposedly best entires in the series - DMC3 and DMC4 but I didnt find anything offensive about the reboot's gameplay, it's certainly more accessible and easy but it's still tons of fun, I am not really an action game junky who replays these games like 20x times in all difficulties so maybe I just dont get it, I am satisfied with a Normal mode playthrough and moving on to the next title.
The new dante is boring if anything, their original vision with tortured dante in the initial reveal for the reboot seemed to be a much more interesting take on the character than what we got in the final product.

I dont think we can blame the fans for not wanting reboot though, it's their right to speak with their wallets and as consumers and not support a product they dont like the direction of. However I do feel like 50% of them wrote the game off immediately without giving it a fair chance and many of the hate comes from people who didnt even touch the game, if you are going to judge something atleast be acquainted and familiar with it to give a well constructed and backed up opinion, be it negative or positive. Just my take on it. The same seems to apply to all the XIII games. A huge number of the bandwagon comment on the story with factually wrong statements(statements that contradict actual plot points devoid of any kind of subjective interpretation) since they havent played the games but still have the audicity to claim that it is undoubtedly shit. Oh well, I dont expect much from the internet though, it's a nexus for the uninformed masses to spout their putrid hatred.(There is a difference from being negative and informed  or negative and massively ignorant about the topic at hand, that's my point)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:59:57 AM by Holykael1 »

solidbatman

• Zetsubou Sensei
  • The real me exists on the internet!
    • View Profile
    • Fuwanovel
« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
Well, there's a good reason not to skip Ayesha: same world and some characters make a return in Echa & Logy.

And you shouldn't jut dismiss the Arland games. Totori is really good, since it gives you the same sense of accomplishment. Biggest downside is that the gameplay isn't as convenient as in the latest entries.

Oh I'll finish the Arland Trilogy. I'm loving Totori so far (somewhere towards the end of year 2), and I had a blast with Rorona.